Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 33055 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#14 featured!)
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2023, 07:07:36 PM »
I am going to generalize here for a moment :P and submit that any fan who doesn't love Dreamline probably never saw Rush live because I don't think it's possible to have seen that song performed live and not thought it was great.

I was at that tour. I don't remember it not being great live but I always loved the song . The show kicked major ass.

Which tour?  It was played on seven of them! :lol :P

I saw them on Roll The Bones and Counterparts tours. I though you meant RTB Tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2023, 07:17:20 PM »
Glasser, he's just being an ass. Ignore him. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: June 10, 2023, 07:25:33 PM »
So that's what we should do with your posts in this thread Tim? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: June 10, 2023, 07:31:42 PM »

Yeah, most of them anyway.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: June 10, 2023, 07:37:18 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: June 10, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #636 on: June 10, 2023, 07:45:36 PM »
It's what I do when he's bashing awesome albums :biggrin:

OK, that's pretty cool. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: June 10, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »
That site that animates album covers is amazing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: June 10, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »
Google Images? ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #639 on: June 10, 2023, 08:02:58 PM »
Feels like it's about time to cut to the chase and post the next album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: June 10, 2023, 08:04:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm detecting an emotion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #641 on: June 10, 2023, 08:05:02 PM »
I am doing the best I can to hold out till morning.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: June 10, 2023, 08:06:42 PM »
Get busy with the facts, lets move on

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: June 10, 2023, 08:11:18 PM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 08:19:34 PM by Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #644 on: June 10, 2023, 10:23:48 PM »
I am going to generalize here for a moment :P and submit that any fan who doesn't love Dreamline probably never saw Rush live because I don't think it's possible to have seen that song performed live and not thought it was great.

I was at that tour. I don't remember it not being great live but I always loved the song . The show kicked major ass.

Yeah...that's a weird generalization.  I saw Dreamline played at nine different shows between 1992-2012.  It was fine.  Nothing special - especially when the setlists expanded and they were playing so many great songs.  It paled in comparison.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#13 featured!)
« Reply #645 on: June 11, 2023, 05:21:15 AM »
Moving on...

13 Fly by Night

Highest Finish: 2 (nobloodyname)
Lowest Finish: 18 (Mladen, jingle.boy, DTA, faizoff, Lethean)

This one ranked 14th for me.  Definitely my favorite of the first three, thanks in large part to Side 1. I can only imagine what existing Rush fans thought in 1975 when this came out and they heard the new drummer Neil Peart’s playing at the start of Anthem. It had to be a major “woah” moment.  Interesting that the title track held up as one of their classic rock radio mainstays for so long, considering it was never played by the band again after the 70s.  Solid tune, but not a standout.  Anyway, good album.

Favorite songs: By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Anthem, Beneath, Between and Behind and Making Memories

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: June 11, 2023, 05:25:09 AM »
Ooh, definitely my favourite of the first three as well. I had it at #8 actually. A big step up from the debut.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #647 on: June 11, 2023, 05:45:09 AM »
Eh…. It’s ok I guess. FBN is even more overplayed than Lakeside Park.  By-Tor is overrated imo. I didn’t ‘get’ that song for a long time, and I now enjoy it, but it seems to have this aura about it like it’s one of their greatest non-radio-hit songs. And the rest of it … largely forgettable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: June 11, 2023, 06:07:50 AM »

Yeah...that's a weird generalization.  I saw Dreamline played at nine different shows between 1992-2012.  It was fine.  Nothing special - especially when the setlists expanded and they were playing so many great songs.  It paled in comparison.

It was received by most fans as a great opener for the shows.  Not a generalization at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: June 11, 2023, 06:10:01 AM »
Fly By Night was 17 for me. Not a bad album at all.  Anthem is a killer song. It's a good album. I just play the other albums more.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: June 11, 2023, 06:30:51 AM »
On reflection, I should probably have tinkered with the rankings spat out by The Ranking Machine. Oh, well. Still a good album, though. And, unlike the majority of the fanbase, I love Rivendell :hat
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #651 on: June 11, 2023, 06:40:45 AM »

14 Roll the Bones

Highest Finish: 5 (wolfking)
Lowest Finish: 19 (pg1067, jammindude, Stadler, ReaperKK)

13 Fly by Night

Interesting that no one ranked FBN 19th, it was a toss up between that and Caress for me. Some really good stuff in there among mostly just ok songs.

I enjoy Roll the Bones quite a bit, the rap part must've been so odd to hear for Rush fans when it first came out. Had it at 11.

19. Caress of Steel
18. Fly by Night
17. Vapor Trails
16. Rush
14. Test For Echo
11. Roll The Bones
10. Snakes & Arrows
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #652 on: June 11, 2023, 07:01:25 AM »
I had Fly By Night ranked exactly at 13 as well, so this is just right!

I have always really liked the title track, which has some really memorable drumming. By-Tor is a lot of fun too, and Anthem is a nice opener. I don’t have a strong opinion on most of the tracks. They’re all decent 70s rock type songs but not really anything characteristically Rush beyond the drumming which is great throughout (except for Rivendell!). I didn’t love this one when I first got it, but it’s held up better over time than some of the other 70s stuff for me (and some of the later Rush as well), so that’s how it ended up at 13.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: June 11, 2023, 07:41:00 AM »
I really dig FBN. It's a good album whose only crime is that Rush released better albums.

19   Roll The Bones
15   Test For Echo
14   Fly By Night
11   Vapor Trails
6   Rush
5   Caress Of Steel
2   Snakes & Arrows

Offline Mladen

« Reply #654 on: June 11, 2023, 07:57:48 AM »
I enjoyed most of these songs in the first year or so of getting into the band, but I hardly ever return to it nowadays. It's not much better than the debut, honestly.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #655 on: June 11, 2023, 08:47:34 AM »
I had Fly By Night at #15, and my least favorite of the first 4 albums.

That being said, I still really like this album. There are higher highs than the debut, but overall, it feels more inconsistent than its predecessor.

Side 1 is pretty amazing from start to finish. The title track is good if a bit overplayed. Making Memories is one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar, so there’s a soft spot there. Rivendell is actually ok for what it is, but it doesn’t really feel like Rush. In the End didn’t age well. Loved it as a kid, but it’s a 3 minute idea dragged on for 6. I like the live version a lot better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #656 on: June 11, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
I had Fly By Night at #8. I really like it. It has such a cool vibe. In The End is one of my favorite Rush songs though I do prefer the ATWAS version. I do find By Tor a bit overblown though. It’s just a real enjoyable listen.

19 Snakes & Arrows
18 Test For Echo
15 Roll The Bones
14 Caress Of Steel
13 Vapor Trails
9 Rush
8 Fly By Night

Offline DTA

« Reply #657 on: June 11, 2023, 09:51:01 AM »
Number 18. Stronger than the first album, but still weaker than what came after. I love the title track, By-Tor is cool (possibly a bit overrated by the fanbase), and Anthem is a great opener but past that, the rest of the songs still feel a bit too much rooted in a 70's rock sound. I think Geddy himself ranked this album last on Eddie Trunk's show when asked to rank the first 9 albums.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #658 on: June 11, 2023, 10:00:47 AM »
Moving on...

13 Fly by Night

01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   Caress Of Steel
07   ?
08   ?
09   Fly By Night
10   Vapor Trails
11   ?
12   ?
13   ?
14   ?
15   ?
16   Test For Echo
17   Snakes & Arrows
18   Roll The Bones
19   Rush

In my recent binge of early Rush, my appreciation for FBN grew like it did for COS, and so it ended up a. It higher than it probably would have before a couple months ago.

Side one is definitely very strong, but Side 2 isn't anything to scoff at either, although the novelty of "Rivendell" wears off after awhile, and "In The End" was much stronger live.

Either way, what a strong sophomore album and first outing with Neil in the studio.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #659 on: June 11, 2023, 10:18:04 AM »
13 Fly by Night

#11 for me. Half great, half meh. The half that's great is among their best material. The rest is among the worst.

19. Test for Echo
17. Vapor Trails
16. Rush
15. Roll the Bones
14. Caress of Steel
13. Snakes and Arrows
11. Fly By Night

The real question is who would win in this fight:

vs

vs

FBN owl looks pretty mean. He's got my bet.

Offline 425

« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
I'm a bit surprised to see this one down here; I thought it was generally more well-loved than this. I sort of expected that I'd have to defend my low placement of this album, but it turns out that my ranking is pretty much in line with the consensus: I had this at #14, so right behind Roll the Bones. That's kind of a relief since it means I can talk more about what I like about this one, and I'll only have to defend one heresy later on.

Why this is so low for me is pretty simple: I like Rush's mature work better than the earlier stuff. This one still shows a lot of the immaturity of their first few albums, and it features Geddy's very high-pitched vocals, which I'm not a fan of.

But why is this as high as it is? Well, I really like that it's a complete album. It's really the only Rush album until the late 70s that I really think is complete from start to finish. It's a cohesive album that doesn't overstay its welcome at 38 minutes, and I think most of the songs are at least pretty good. Rivendell is the only one that I find really questionable, and even then, it's inoffensive and it feels like it has its place in the album's sequence. I even enjoy Best I Can, even though it's far from being their best work.

I think my favorite song here is actually In the End. I really like how this one works as an album closer. Other top contenders would be Beneath, Between & Behind and Fly By Night. But Anthem, By-Tor and even Making Memories are strong tracks as well. I don't hold By-Tor in the level of esteem that some fans do. It's nowhere near my favorite on the album, and I don't like all of the instrumental section. But it does serviceably as a part of the whole here. The songwriting on this album, IMO, is just on a higher level than either the previous debut effort or the attempt to leap forward that is Caress of Steel. But they got even better later, and created deeper, richer music than this. So #14 is the right place for me.

19. Rush
18. Caress of Steel
17. Test for Echo
14. Fly By Night
13. Roll the Bones
12. Snakes & Arrows
8. Vapor Trails
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »
Despite ranking it #17 I really do like this album. Sure there are a few songs that aren't quite up to the standards of later material, but in the end (see what I did there :neverusethis: ) it's still a good album, they just have many more better albums.

19. Rush
18. Snakes & Arrows
17. Fly By Night
16. Vapor Trails
14. Roll the Bones
12. Test for Echo
10. Caress of Steel
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #662 on: June 11, 2023, 12:51:05 PM »
Ooh, definitely my favourite of the first three as well. I had it at #8 actually. A big step up from the debut.

Same on both.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:56:46 PM by Glasser »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2023, 01:59:27 PM »
Fly By Night was 17 for me. Not a bad album at all.  Anthem is a killer song. It's a good album. I just play the other albums more.

This sums it up for me as well.  Nothing bad to say about it, and having Neil's lyrics was a big step up from the debut, but I like the others even more.

Online Kram

« Reply #664 on: June 11, 2023, 02:54:42 PM »
19. Rush
18. Test for Echo
17. Fly by Night
15. Roll The Bones
14. Snakes & Arrows
13. Caress of Steel
12. Vapor Trails

It's ok, better than the debut, but still one of their weaker outputs.  Anthem, By-Tor, In the End and Beneath Between and Behind are the standouts for me.