Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 32137 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#11 featured!)
« Reply #770 on: June 13, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
Why does Superconductor get so much hate?  I dig that song.

I really love it as well. I think people just hate it because it had the potential to be a really great rockin song, but then had its balls chopped off by the thin production and that super mellow pre chorus.

I still think that song rules.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #771 on: June 13, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »

I think you might’ve answered your own question their Stads.

:lol :lol

Now, if Tim hates it, then we know it must be at least good-to-great.  Didn't Tim sig a quote from someone that a song/album must be good if Tim hates it?   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #772 on: June 13, 2023, 08:49:41 AM »
I love the album as a whole, but Superconductor is a bit too silly for my taste. The chorus throws me off especially.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #773 on: June 13, 2023, 08:52:29 AM »

I think you might’ve answered your own question their Stads.

:lol :lol

Now, if Tim hates it, then we know it must be at least good-to-great.  Didn't Tim sig a quote from someone that a song/album must be good if Tim hates it?   :lol

:lol  seems legit. Don’t anyone go sig’ing that quote though, I’d have to live with eternal shame of my grammatical error!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #774 on: June 13, 2023, 08:53:04 AM »
I had Presto at #16. A band trying to find the balance between who they were, who they are, and where they want to go to. "The Pass" and "Show Don't Tell" are the standouts for me, and a couple others. Not much to say about this record. A few good tunes, and a slight step up from Hold Your Fire.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #775 on: June 13, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »

I think you might’ve answered your own question there Stads.

HAHA, fair enough.  :) :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #776 on: June 13, 2023, 09:04:03 AM »
11 Presto

Highest Finish: 3 (HOF)
Lowest Finish: 19 (MrMike, nobloodyname)

Ah yes, Rush’s “easy listening” album, which I call it due to the thin mix which makes it sound a bit soft even when it rocks.  I wouldn’t want other Rush albums to sound like this, but there is a charm to this album that the mix does assist in attaining.  Good songwriting here, with a few standouts.  This one usually fluctuates for me in the 13-16 range, but it ended up 16th on the day I finalized my list. 

Favorite songs: The Pass, Available Light, Chain Lightning, Presto

Damn...I figured this was coming.  Presto pulled Rush out of a tailspin of three increasingly disappointing albums and gave some of us hope as the '80s pulled to a close.  Available Light might be the best post-Signals song (it's no worse than top 3).  That said, three songs (Superconductor, Scars and the awful Hand over Fist) prevent the album from being truly great.  For the first time in this countdown, I nailed it and had this at #11.

19  Roll the Bones (14 - 5)
18  Hold Your Fire (12 - 6)
17  ??
16  Snakes & Arrows (18 - 2)
15  ??
14  ??
13  Test for Echo (16 - 3)
12  Rush (19 - 7)
11  Presto (11 - 0)
10  ??
9  Caress of Steel (17 - 8)
8  Vapor Trails (15 - 7)
7  ??
6  Fly by Night (13 - 7)
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Current POOTI:  45 (avg. 5.000)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #777 on: June 13, 2023, 09:12:47 AM »
Edit: And speaking of the tough choice between 16-10. I would be absolutely shocked if the album I had at #16 wasn't one of the albums revealed in the #11 or #10 spot. Kinda surprised it has survived thus far.

And as predicted, Presto has arrived! :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #778 on: June 13, 2023, 09:14:23 AM »
I just listened to the album. Hand over fist is fantastic and easily one of the highlights. I love the beat, the riffs, the major keys and the key changes. The lyrics are also fun. I adore that song.  :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #779 on: June 13, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »
One thing about early through Golden era Rush, I generally considered their singles to be excellent songs as well. Once we move past moving pictures, that is very often not the case. Presto is a perfect example of this with Superconductor being among their worst and Show Don't Tell being not much better. Between that and the thin sound, the album struggles. But much like with Vapor Trails and its production issues, once you move past the flaws, there is still a lot to love. As far as the "easy listening" pair, I obviously prefer Roll the Bones, but appreciate a lot of what is here. The Pass and Available Light being top standouts.

19. Rush (0)
18. Caress of Steel (1)
17. Vapor Trails (2)
16. Presto (5)
15. Hold Your Fire (3)
14. Test for Echo (2)
13. Fly By Night (0)
10. Snakes and Arrows (8)
9. Roll the Bones (5)

Current POOTI: 2.89
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #780 on: June 13, 2023, 09:27:18 AM »
I just listened to the album. Hand over fist is fantastic and easily one of the highlights. I love the beat, the riffs, the major keys and the key changes. The lyrics are also fun. I adore that song.  :tup

When we did the Rush song countdown, Hand over Fist came in at 165 out of 166 songs (beating out only BU2B2).  There are Rush songs I don't care for and some I find boring, but I think HoF is the only one that I could legitimately say I hate.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #781 on: June 13, 2023, 09:29:42 AM »
I think Presto (my #15) works slightly better than RtB in the same style, having a better flow, better production and more remarkable songs, like Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Red Tide and Avaible Light (this one is one best things Rush ever done). I feel like Ride Tide and Scars are really reminescent from the keyboard era and really good songs. Like Mystic Rhythms, Scars seems like if it was composed based on Neil's amazing drum/percussion work.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: June 13, 2023, 09:30:18 AM »
Hand Over Fist is still 10 times better than The Pass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #783 on: June 13, 2023, 09:37:18 AM »

When we did the Rush song countdown, Hand over Fist came in at 165 out of 166 songs (beating out only BU2B2).  There are Rush songs I don't care for and some I find boring, but I think HoF is the only one that I could legitimately say I hate.

Love you too, pal!  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #784 on: June 13, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »

Offline MrMike

« Reply #785 on: June 13, 2023, 09:40:12 AM »
I ranked Presto at 19, but the bottom 6-7 in my list are pretty interchangeable and there's definitely a couple others I could've also put last.  I don't hate Presto.  But the problem is that I don't feel much of anything for it.  It's just there.  The AM radio sound is a big part of it.  The album just has no kick to it and I'm still surprised the band was happy with how it came out.  With a remix to beef it up, I could maybe appreciate it a little more.  Aside from that though, the material is just too pop sounding and far removed from what I consider prime Rush.  The Pass is the standout track for sure.  It's an album I want to like more, but every time I come back and try, I just can't.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #786 on: June 13, 2023, 09:46:56 AM »

He's Tim, Nick. Need there be any other explanation?  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #787 on: June 13, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »
It's not getting mentioned much, but I never thought too much of War Paint until I heard a bootleg version of it from the Presto tour, where it had a bit more grit and sounded a lot better.  That feels like a song that could have been a standout on a different album, with better production (I think the sound of the keys on the studio version is a bit grating, and I think the chorus of Geddys singing the harmonies sounds a bit overproduced).

Offline HOF

« Reply #788 on: June 13, 2023, 10:01:44 AM »
It's not getting mentioned much, but I never thought too much of War Paint until I heard a bootleg version of it from the Presto tour, where it had a bit more grit and sounded a lot better.  That feels like a song that could have been a standout on a different album, with better production (I think the sound of the keys on the studio version is a bit grating, and I think the chorus of Geddys singing the harmonies sounds a bit overproduced).

I like War Paint, but it’s maybe lost a bit in the shuffle here. But it’s a big part of the flow of the album.  Love how it kind of bursts through and sort of releases the tension after The Pass. Red Tide is the other that I sometimes forget how good it is. There is just a lot of good stuff on this album!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: June 13, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »

Haven't been following this thread diligently the last couple days... What the f is a pooti/tootie or whatever it is?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #790 on: June 13, 2023, 10:06:13 AM »
I had Presto at #4. Thought I might be the highest ranker for it, but HOF beat me by putting it in his top 3!  :metal It was the first Rush album I purchased, and has always been a sentimental favorite, despite the thin mix.  Great songwriting throughout.

Number 4 for me as well.  I don't really care about the production that much; maybe it could be better but the songs are great.

Available Light is definitely in the running for my favorite Rush song; Presto and Red Tide are favorites as well.  I like Hand Over Fist a lot, and maybe Superconductor isn't my favorite but I'm fine with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #791 on: June 13, 2023, 10:21:52 AM »
Current POOTI: 2.89
Sorry, just had to chuckle a bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #792 on: June 13, 2023, 10:24:47 AM »
Tim's POOTI = WTF.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #793 on: June 13, 2023, 10:34:13 AM »

I like War Paint, but it’s maybe lost a bit in the shuffle here. But it’s a big part of the flow of the album.  Love how it kind of bursts through and sort of releases the tension after The Pass. Red Tide is the other that I sometimes forget how good it is. There is just a lot of good stuff on this album!

I agree with this take on War Paint.

Red Tide is a song I listened to a few hours ago and don't remember how it goes, so maybe it will prove to be this for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #794 on: June 13, 2023, 10:57:58 AM »
War Paint is a song that I feel divided... there are that annoying keyboard line, that starts before the vocals enter, and that boring overdubbed chorus, but also the more jazzy parts and the solo are great.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #795 on: June 13, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »

Love you too, pal!  :lol

I specifically used the lower-case "o" to avoid this!   :biggrin:

Haven't been following this thread diligently the last couple days... What the f is a pooti/tootie or whatever it is?

Just something I came up with to amuse myself with statistics.  For each album that's been revealed, I took the absolute value of the difference between my ranking and the consensus, added the numbers, and divided by the number of albums revealed so far.  It's a measure of how out-of-touch I am with the consensus, so I called it "Paul's out-of-touch index" or POOTI.  I came up with it while enjoying a glass of Tang.   :biggrin:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: June 13, 2023, 11:16:35 AM »
I’m enjoying reading the fondness in regards to some of these LPs as being one of the first that commenters bought after becoming a fan.   :tup  That’s one of the reasons their debut still ranks so highly with me, as well as their follow up. 

15  Vapor Trails (#19)  surprising that a Rush album MINUS synths would end up like this. 

14  Roll The Bones (#18)  why is it here?  Because it’s here…..  There’s five good songs on this, but how I still hate to this day the title track. I hate rap, and the chorus.  Not what I wanted or expected at the time.

13  Fly By Night (#9)  an attention grabbing album cover if there ever was one.  And the opening track. :tup  And title track. :tup  ‘Rivendell’ is skippable, but their first two albums got a lot of play by my fellow high school friends.  Stoner material +10 for 'By-Tor and the Snow Dog' and 'In The End'.

Kev…I didn’t notice any difference at the time in the drumming on this as to the debut.  What do you expect from a teenager? ;)

12  Hold Your Fire (#11) Did not like this when first released other than ‘Force Ten’.  After a while, ‘Time Stand Still’ and ‘Second Nature’ stuck.  Then a few others.  As I’ve gotten older, it moved many notches up on my list. Listened to it on an Amtrak ride back from NYC a few weeks ago.  Then I submitted my list.

11 Presto (#7)  Had more ‘bite’ than HYF.  Love the opener, the title track, and many others.  A very ‘single’ oriented album.  Btw…I have a promo poster rolled up somewhere in my garage attic.  Next to ‘Fly By Night’, it’s my favorite Rush album cover.  So clever and fun.  Kind of 'jumps' out at you ;) :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:56:11 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #797 on: June 13, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
I had Presto at #7, which feels a tad high, but I actually really like it. I understand why some don't through. To me, it signals that the keyboard era is behind them. I believe they changed labels at the time and this felt like a brand new era starting. I thought it was mature sounding and quite chill. There's no song I really love, the closest would be Red Tide, but it does have a couple of clunkers, especially War Paint and The Pass.

19   Snakes & Arrows
18   Test for Echo
17   Hold Your Fire
15   Roll the Bones
14   Caress of Steel
13   Vapor Trails
9   Rush
8   Fly by Night
7   Presto

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #798 on: June 13, 2023, 02:27:15 PM »
11 Presto

Highest Finish: 3 (HOF)
Lowest Finish: 19 (MrMike, nobloodyname)

I had this at #7, I absolutely love this album and yesterday I listened to it back to back. I think my top 2-7 are highly interchangeable and can rank Presto 2nd on a different day. The first 3 tracks are killer and unlike others who have expressed their dislike, I love the middle part of the album. The closer is also one of the best album closer of any Rush album. If there was a list of best closers I'd rank Available Light at the very top.

19. Caress of Steel
18. Fly by Night
17. Vapor Trails
16. Rush
14. Test For Echo
13. Hold Your Fire
11. Roll The Bones
10. Snakes & Arrows
7.  Presto
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Glasser

« Reply #799 on: June 13, 2023, 02:47:24 PM »
#9 on my list. Presto was the current release when I became a true fan and dove in to them in ‘89. Sadly, I missed the tour, because I was working nights at the time (during my educational sabbatical).

Hot take … I love Superconductor.

Song wise, it’s aged well over the years, as there were a handful of songs I didn’t truly care for much, including the opener.

Gonna spin the remaster that someone here did (I forget) right now.

I did it a while back, I hope you like it.  :tup

Offline The Realm

« Reply #800 on: June 13, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
I ranked Presto at number 15 but after just listening to it now, I think that is too low. This is actually a really enjoyable album and the production has a good feel. Available Light is a brilliant song, one of my favourite Rush songs. Overall I am happy most others ranked this higher than me as number 11 overall feel like a good spot for this album.

Offline Kram

« Reply #801 on: June 13, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
19. Rush
18. Test for Echo
17. Fly by Night
16. Hold Your Fire
15. Roll The Bones
14. Snakes & Arrows
13. Caress of Steel
12. Vapor Trails
8. Presto

I had it at #8, a bit higher than the consensus.  Great songs, great performances, poor sound.  Available Light is a top 10 all-time Rush song for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #802 on: June 13, 2023, 05:48:49 PM »
I had Presto at #7, which feels a tad high, but I actually really like it. I understand why some don't through. To me, it signals that the keyboard era is behind them. I believe they changed labels at the time and this felt like a brand new era starting. I thought it was mature sounding and quite chill. There's no song I really love, the closest would be Red Tide, but it does have a couple of clunkers, especially War Paint and The Pass.

19   Snakes & Arrows
18   Test for Echo
17   Hold Your Fire
15   Roll the Bones
14   Caress of Steel
13   Vapor Trails
9   Rush
8   Fly by Night
7   Presto

Just out of curiosity, but what is it about War Paint and The Pass that you dislike so much?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #803 on: June 13, 2023, 05:54:54 PM »
I had Presto at #9, but on any given day my #5-9 could change depending on my mood. I think the only reason it fell below Hold Your Fire is solely due to Stupidconductor being such a buzzkill in the middle of the album. Also Scars is just merely OK, but seriously Rush has only 1 song that I will skip every time and that is Stupidconductor. There are just no redeeming qualities in this song to me. On the other hand Available Light is one of their top songs. It's a shame they never pulled that one out of the vault live.

19. Rush
18. Snakes & Arrows
17. Fly By Night
16. Vapor Trails
14. Roll the Bones
12. Test for Echo
10. Caress of Steel
9. Presto
7. Hold Your Fire
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: June 13, 2023, 06:31:57 PM »

Just out of curiosity, but what is it about War Paint and The Pass that you dislike so much?

I consider War Paint one of their worst songs. The whole thing. I hate the lyrics. Don't like the verses and the girls and boys together line, which is putrid.
I have never liked The Pass, but has aged ok. The verses are terrible and it literally takes forever to get where it's going.