Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 30420 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 21 & 22 Up!)
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2023, 10:36:14 AM »
19 - Mark Zonder

20 - Martin Lopez

Never heard of Lopez.  This isn't the guy from Saved by the Bell, is it?

Zonder is, IMO, the best of the three drummers to play in Fates.  Just incredible feel and sense of timing.  Just listen to At Fates Hands.  Incredible stuff.  He even managed to incorporate electronic percussion into Fates's material and not have it sound revolting.  Just an incredible player.  Super pleased to see him make the list, and my prediction was pretty close.

25   Maybe...not sure
24   Probably not
23   I'd say 60-70% chance no
22   Probably
21   Probably not
20   Probably not
19   90% yes
18   Nein
17   Absolutely should be, but I'm thinking less than 50/50
16   Nope
15   Not even a little chance
14   No way, eh
13   90+% yes
12   Not a chance
11   Nope
10   I think yes, only about 60% sure
9   Bill Ward (Should be...75+% likely)
8   75+% likely
7   Cozy Powell (50/50)
6   Hmmm...really not sure, but I think less than 50/50
5   Same band as #8 - one of them should make it, if not both
4   90+% yes
3   Lock
2   Mark Zonder (Might sneak in around 21-25)
1   Lock for top 3

Not ranked:  Gene Hoglan, Blake Richardson, Carter Beauford, Alex Van Halen, Martin Lopez

I never really hear either one talked about very much in drumming circles, either.  I guess a lot of people just cast votes for the drummers in their favorite bands?

Yes and no.  I have many favorite bands where their drummer didn't make my top 25 (U2, Radiohead, Queensryche, Death Cab, XTC, The Beatles, Kansas, etc.).

Yeah...all of the drummers on my list were from bands that I consider among my favorites.  I would think that would be natural and would find it downright bizarre to have someone as a favorite drummer who isn't from a favorite band.  But that doesn't mean every drummer from a favorite band makes the list.  Also, I've never been to a drum circle, so I don't know what people talk about in them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 19 & 20 Up!)
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2023, 10:55:29 AM »
All drummers on my list are from bands I enjoy or enjoyed. Might not be my favorite bands but I would not list someone just because they are considered by others to be the best drummers.

What would be the fun in that? There are already drummers lists out there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2023, 10:55:58 AM »
25   Reasonable chance, depending.
24   No chance in hell; there are other drummers IN HIS BAND that might, though.
23   He's either going to be in someone's top ten or not on the list, so probably won't make the final.
22   No chance. I might take some crap for this one.
21   No chance; most people won't know who he is.
20   No chance.
19   No chance (part of what will possibly be the only "father/son" pair on anyone's list)
18   No chance, due to this band being a pariah around here.
17   60-40 he makes it.
16   Probably no chance, but a crying shame.  The man is a mule.
15.   Slim chance; he is arguably my vote for best drummer in his genre, though there's another guy that gets all the press.
14   One of three guys from a certain band to make my list; probably won't make the final.
13   90% lock
12   100% lock
11   Slim chance; the other guy who replaced him has a better shot.
10   Should be a 100% lock; this forum?  50-50 at best.
9   Cozy Powell (I submitted my predictions AFTER this)
8   No. 11's "other guy".   Should be 70-30 to make it.
7   Sadly, no chance. 
6    Bill Ward (Sadly, probably no chance; he's a pale shell of his former self, but some of his early live work is incendiary.)
5   SHOULD BE 100% lock.
4   100% lock
3   100% lock
2   100% lock
1   100% lock and my guess for Number One overall.

27: Carter Beauford
NR:  Gene Hoglan
NR: Martin Lopez
NR:  Blake Richardson
NR: Alex Van Halen
NR: Mark Zonder

I never really hear either one talked about very much in drumming circles, either.  I guess a lot of people just cast votes for the drummers in their favorite bands?

Yes and no.  I have many favorite bands where their drummer didn't make my top 25 (U2, Radiohead, Queensryche, Death Cab, XTC, The Beatles, Kansas, etc.).

Well, first, you made a mistake, Kev.  You said "I have many favorite bands where their drummer didn't make my top 25", then inadvertently listed The Beatles.  ;) :) :) :) :)

Second, I didn't just list the drummers of my favorite bands - Peter Criss was NOWHERE near my list - but I had to be at least familiar with the band for a drummer to make the list, else, how could I know their playing?  There's not many, but there are a couple people on my list that I just know they're monsters but don't really care all that much for the bands they played in.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »
Yea, I don't think Hef was implying that people should choose drummers from bands they dislike.

I guess he meant more the mentality of "Well I like this band....so I will list their drummer."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »
Yea, I don't think Hef was implying that people should choose drummers from bands they dislike.

I guess he meant more the mentality of "Well I like this band....so I will list their drummer."
This.

For God's sake, people.  I certainly didn't list drummers of acts I don't like.  Why would anyone do that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2023, 12:08:04 PM »

This.

For God's sake, people.  I certainly didn't list drummers of acts I don't like.  Why would anyone do that?

I mean, I don't think you were saying that, but now that we HAVE said it, why not, though?  My number 28 is the primary drummer in a band I really do not like (they have one good album, another that I like because I like the guitar player that played on it but it's not really that good, and I consider the singer to be top three worst singers in mainstream, arena-level bands.  And I haven't even MENTIONED the travesty that is their nomination and election into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2023, 12:37:08 PM »

Well, first, you made a mistake, Kev.  You said "I have many favorite bands where their drummer didn't make my top 25", then inadvertently listed The Beatles.  ;) :) :) :) :)

Ha!  Sorry, but as much as I love the Beatles. Ringo doesn't sniff my list.  He was influential, yes, and I don't think he was as crappy as some thought, but one of the best ever?  Nah.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2023, 12:54:01 PM »

Ha!  Sorry, but as much as I love the Beatles. Ringo doesn't sniff my list.  He was influential, yes, and I don't think he was as crappy as some thought, but one of the best ever?  Nah.

NO SPOTLIGHTING!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »

NO SPOTLIGHTING!!!

This legit made me laugh out loud at work lmao

Online Adami

« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2023, 01:06:16 PM »

NO SPOTLIGHTING!!!

NO GASLIGHTING!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2023, 01:09:50 PM »

Also, thread title ... "favorite".   ;) :D ;D :P :-*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »
Just keeping it fresh...

25- Alex Van Halen Should be there
24- Nope
23- Mayyybeee
22- Definitely not, and a damn shame too
21- Lock
20- Should make the list
19- Lock
18- They'd be on everyone's list if they heard them
17- Blake Richardson (Yeah)
16- Probably
15- Lock
14- Might make it, definitely worthy
13- Unfortunately no
12- Lock
11- Another unfortunately no
10- Lock
9- Not too sure...we'll see
8- Lock
7- Lock
6- No, and I hate you all that they won't make it
5- Lock
4- See #6, multiply by 1000
3- Yeah
2- Lock
1- Lock

Not Listed-
Gene Hoglan
Cozy Powell
Bill Ward
Carter Beuford
Martin Lopez
Mark Zonder

Offline pg1067

« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »
I mean, I don't think you were saying that, but now that we HAVE said it, why not, though?  My number 28 is the primary drummer in a band I really do not like (they have one good album, another that I like because I like the guitar player that played on it but it's not really that good, and I consider the singer to be top three worst singers in mainstream, arena-level bands.  And I haven't even MENTIONED the travesty that is their nomination and election into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.)

Maybe it'll make sense if, when we get to the end of this thing, you remember this discussion and mention whom you're talking about here.  However, the answer to the "why not," is that I can't conceive of a circumstance where a drummer in a band I don't like is a FAVORITE of mine.  If I don't like a band, I'm not listening to the band, so the drummer couldn't possibly become a favorite.  I could understand that the drummers among us might like guys independent of bands they don't like, but a drummer I am not.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2023, 01:34:31 PM »
I will say that as a drummer, there are certain players I like watching and listening to independent of the bands they play for.  For Beauford, for example, I do like DMB to a certain extent, but they are not a top favorite band like others are.  But his playing is my favorite thing about them, and he has also done other excellent work as well.

I have players all over the spectrum.  Bands I love and also love their drummers.  Bands I love but don't consider their drummers particularly exceptional.  Band I'm not as into but love their drummers.  Bands I'm not that into and also don't care for their drummers.  And all points inbetween. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2023, 01:36:05 PM »
I will say that as a drummer, there are certain players I like watching and listening to independent of the bands they play for.  For Beauford, for example, I do like DMB to a certain extent, but they are not a top favorite band like others are.  But his playing is my favorite thing about them, and he has also done other excellent work as well.

I have players all over the spectrum.  Bands I love and also love their drummers.  Bands I love but don't consider their drummers particularly exceptional.  Band I'm not as into but love their drummers.  Bands I'm not that into and also don't care for their drummers.  And all points inbetween.

I have a few like that...just a joy to watch them breakdown whatever they're playing, no matter whether they're with their band or just jamming or doing a solo. Just watching them be lost in the music is a delight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Countdown starts 5/22!)
« Reply #470 on: May 25, 2023, 02:00:39 PM »
20 - Martin Lopez
Appeared on 8 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 4 (LithoJazzoSphere)
4 Top 10 Finishes

19 - Mark Zonder
Highest Finish: 2 (pg1067)
4 Top 10 Finishes

I'm not familar with Lopez. Obviously the drumming is great in Opeth..

I had Mark Zonder at #19.

Zonder was 22 on my list.  Really creative drummer and his drumming with Fates is so tasteful.  Like Neil Peart, he puts a lot of thought into composing his drum parts, oftentimes taking a "song within a song" approach to how he would structure things.  That kind of precision and attention to detail was somewhat unique, especially in metal at the time.  He also incorporated electronic drums into his kit in a very subtle and interesting way.  Plus, he played traditional grip.  That's commitment!  Great examples of his playing for me, are At Fate's Hands, APSOG Part V, Still Remains, Leave the Past Behind.
I agree with all of this. He was so musical in his playing. The first verse may be a pattern on the toms, and then the next verse will be the same pattern on the cymbals. Really thoughtful.

Also, I only saw Fates Warning once and it was in a very small club on the Inside Out tour. I was at the stage and the drums were literally 4 feet from me. I had a "eye to eye" view of Zonder and I was blown away! Yes, the traditional grip thing jumped out at me, and the guy looked like a master technician. Out of place, actually. Unfortunately, I was recording shows around that time, and did not have my camera. The recording came out like gahbage. Should've brought the camera.

List                                                 Not Listed
25                                                  Bill Ward
24 Gene Hoglan                               Blake Richardson
23                                                  Carter Beauford
22                                                  Martin Lopez
19 Mark Zonder
10 Cozy Powell
8 Alex Van Halen

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:12:18 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #471 on: May 25, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to comment on the players of the day.  Obviously I seem to be the most fond of Lopez here.  He's a classic case of sometimes feel winning out over technicality.  He has plenty of chops, but clearly not as much as Axenrot who replaced him (who is on my honorable mentions but didn't have a chance at the main list).  But there's a certain fluidity to his playing that was irreplacable, and part of it seemed to be chemistry with the band, because while I like his playing in Soen as well, it's not nearly at the level of Opeth for me. 

The limited amount of Zonder I've seen and heard has been impressive, but I just don't know his work well enough. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2023, 03:46:02 PM »

19 - Mark Zonder
4 Top 10 Finishes

20 - Martin Lopez
4 Top 10 Finishes

Martin Lopez -my rank 20. Just love his style and creativity. I do like Soen, but Lopez is on my list for his work with Opeth which is stellar. Great write up by Litho on why Lopez is great.

Mark Zonder - didn't make it on my list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2023, 03:46:53 PM »
What Opeth albums is he on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #474 on: May 25, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »

My Arms, Your Hearse (Opeth's third album)
Still Life (my personal favourite)
Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation
Ghost Reveries

These are overall all my favourite Opeth albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2023, 04:10:48 PM »

Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation
Ghost Reveries

Thanks Realm!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2023, 04:14:38 PM »

Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation
Ghost Reveries

What an incredible run of albums! That's why he made my list, upon reviewing the albums he actually played on I had to include him.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2023, 05:09:55 PM »

19 - Mark Zonder
4 Top 10 Finishes

20 - Martin Lopez
4 Top 10 Finishes

Mark Zonder - I had Zonder at number 5. I often wonder what those early FW albums would sound like if Zonder was with them from the start. Yes, he's a technical monster! Yes, he is precise. However, the musicality he brings to the drums is something few other drummers can pull off, which is why he is so high on my list. He was in my opinion the best FW drummer by a long shot.

Martin Lopez - Had him at #13. He just has such a great feel for rhythm and groove. I love his choices in fills and patterns.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online nick_z

« Reply #478 on: May 25, 2023, 06:02:27 PM »

Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation
Ghost Reveries

What an incredible run of albums! That's why he made my list, upon reviewing the albums he actually played on I had to include him.

Yep, love Lopez's drumwork on those Opeth records. I think he has a fairly unique/recognizable style.

Different genre overall, but his work on the Soen albums is pretty tasty too...

Oh, and Zonder is amazing, one of my favorites, for sure. His drumming on the Perfect Symmetry/Parallels/Inside Out run is pristine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: May 25, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
Another one for me.  Zonder is top 5.  I just love his style and his drumming has always been one of the highlights on both Parallels and Inside Out.

24.   Gene Hoglan
23.   Cozy Powell
10.  Bill Ward
8.  Blake Richardson
5. Mark Zonder
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 25, 2023, 06:05:47 PM »
Lopez didn't rate but he is fantastic.  Love watching him on the Lamentations DVD.

Online nick_z

« Reply #481 on: May 25, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
Lopez didn't rate but he is fantastic.  Love watching him on the Lamentations DVD.

Right?! He's so good on that one. The drumming on the Damnation songs too...super tasteful.

Online Adami

« Reply #482 on: May 25, 2023, 06:22:41 PM »
Lopez is one of the things I keep getting hypnotized by on Ghost Reveries.

That drumming is so smooth that you forget how complex and intricate it is.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:59:10 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline coz

Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 24 & 25 Up!)
« Reply #483 on: May 25, 2023, 08:53:31 PM »
4/8  I like a lot of FW but nothing I've heard from Zonder landed him in my top 59.  Lopez? Yes!  He placed higher by the group than I thought he would.  Shows that his popularity has had lasting power.  Smoothest, tastiest Opeth drummer in my book.  His chemistry with Mendez was a special part of that era of Opeth.  As others have said, he made/makes intricate and complex grooves sound effortless and just right for the song.  Haven't heard a lot of Soen but like what I've heard.

25. I think this maniac will be picked
24. Dirty chance he'll make it
23. Pretty sure you'd say "who"?
22. I miss this guy.  Wish he was still with us.  Not gonna make it here. :'(
21. This weirdo won't make it.  40 years and 14 studio albums with the same original quartet+.  Impressive stuff.
20. Carter Beauford (A unique cat whose style is highly revered in drumming circles.  Not sure here though.)
19. Huge name.  Guaranteed pick.
18. Spicy lefty.  He has a shot.
17. Martin Lopez  In 2005, a no-brainer to be on here.  Today.  Maybe?
16. Probably won't be here.  It's a crime.
15. 100% this monster's here.
14. Alex Van Halen  (Brother of a legend on one of our other lists.  Won't be surprised if he makes this list.)
13. Groove metal master.  Won't make the list though.
12. Another real cool cat.  A rock player with a huge jazz background.  I'm gonna say he won't be named here.
11. Classic rocker who's very likely.
10. Blake Richardson (Also very likely but not a classic rocker.)
9. Liked him before, but since the band's 3rd release in 93 I have loved his playing.  Not going to make the list.
8. He started further down my list.  But the more I thought about it, his talent and style make him absolutely unique.  Probably.
7. This forum?  Of course.
6. Prog dude.  Pretty sure he'll be here.
5. Not sure on him.  Highly respected, but not sure how well his name is known outside the drumming community.
4. Second one on my list who's known by a nickname.  (My first draft had three).  Not going to be named here.
3. For sure.  Legend
2. I've thought mostly highly and sometimes low of this guy.  He's still my number 2 basher though.
1. The master

42ish. Bill Ward
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:05:39 PM by coz »
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline coz

« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2023, 09:02:00 PM »

;)
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2023, 05:37:49 AM »
A couple more!

17 - Scott Rockenfield
Appeared on 10 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 6 (pg1067)
2 Top 10 Finishes

A perfect fit for QR. Great tone, great originality and just great playing. He made my list but didn't crack the top 10.

18 - Stewart Copeland
Appeared on 9 of 29 lists
Highest Finish: 6 (KevShmev & ReaperKK)
3 Top 10 Finishes

I'm not a huge Police fan but I end listening to them simply to hear Stewart's playing. The guy is incredibly innovative and has a sound that is impossible to reproduce. He seems to think about the drums in a different way than most other players.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 17 & 18 Up!)
« Reply #486 on: May 26, 2023, 05:47:15 AM »
Who?

Yea, no chance for either of these on my list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #487 on: May 26, 2023, 05:53:06 AM »
Oh wow, I figured Copeland had no chance to make it, so I am pleased as punch to see that he did!  Incredible player. The way he attacks the snare is something else.   In the annals of drum fills I air drum (or desk drum or steering wheel drum :lol), the one near the end of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is one I do EVERY SINGLE TIME.  I can be busy as hell at work and if that song is on in the background, I am still doing that fill on my desk.  Without fail, every single time.  The song Synchronicity would simply be good in the hands of a merely good drummer, but with Copeland, it became godly.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Rockenfield is a good rock drummer, but as much as I like the prime Queensryche era, he has never struck me as anything more than just a good rock drummer.  Good, but nothing special.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2023, 05:58:11 AM »
I didn't submit a list, but if I had, Copeland would've been top-10 easily, if not top-5.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: May 26, 2023, 05:59:19 AM »
Who?

Yea, no chance for either of these on my list.

Is that for both?  You don't know who Copeland is?