Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 86450 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Buildings reworked

I think this version is more interesting than The One... Dethroned & Uncrowned was released yesterday, so I think I'll pick it up on Monday :)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:06 AM »
Hey guys, i will do an interview with Anders from Katatonia on Friday for Rocking.gr so if you have any questions you wanted to be asked i'll try to fit them between mine.

Feel free to post any questions!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
Which of the reworkings on Dethroned & Uncrowned turned out the best in your opinion?

If you had the chance to rework an older Katatonia song, which one would you choose and why?

How is the Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD progressing?

Any plans for 2014? When can we expect a new Katatonia album?

Which 3 Katatonia songs (from any album) would you recommend to someone who has never heard your music?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »
Which of the reworkings on Dethroned & Uncrowned turned out the best in your opinion?

If you had the chance to rework an older Katatonia song, which one would you choose and why?

How is the Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD progressing?

Any plans for 2014? When can we expect a new Katatonia album?

Which 3 Katatonia songs (from any album) would you recommend to someone who has never heard your music?

:tup :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
One more question for Anders:

Are there some Katatonia songs that have never been played live but you'd like to perform?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »
Dethroned and Decrowned is amazing.  Love what they did with the atmosphere. Its what I enjoy a lot. Good job katatonia
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #357 on: September 16, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »
You can read my interview with Anders here https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Katatonia-Interview-Anders-Nystrom/17237/, i asked some of your questions  :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:47 AM »
Nice interview, thanks for sharing (and using my questions)! :tup Acoustic Without God would be awesome :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:06 AM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2013, 03:30:46 AM »
I ordered the remix/master of Viva Emptiness today, looking forward to getting it in a week or so.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
One new Katatonia fan here. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite so far but Dead End Kings finally clicked with me recently :tup Probably my favorite album of 2012.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »
One new Katatonia fan here. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite so far but Dead End Kings finally clicked with me recently :tup Probably my favorite album of 2012.

Try the Great Cold Distance next, loved that album back when it was released and its still my favorite.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »
Always great to see Katatonia get new fans! :tup As Polarbear said, The Great Cold Distance is a great album, but Night Is the New Day is worth checking out as well.

I'll probably get the remixed version of Viva Emptiness soon. I've listened to a few of the new versions on YT and they sound great :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »
I've been listening to the new version of Viva Emptiness, and though I am not that familiar with the original, the new version sounds great, fresh, crisp and full of great songs.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »
I know My Twin, love that song. I will check the rest of The Great Cold Distance soon.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
Somewhat new here on this forum, I've known Katatonia since the end of 2011 but ever since I saw them open for Opeth on their spring 2013 tour, I've been hooked on them ever since. I saw them again later that year when they played with Cult of Luna, TesseracT, and Intronaut and was totally blown away with the deeper cuts that made the set (especially Quiet World, Unfurl, Ashen and Black Session). Night Is The New Day was the album that introduced me to them, but my favorite album as of now is a tie between Discouraged Ones and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
I know My Twin, love that song. I will check the rest of The Great Cold Distance soon.

Me too, but there is a killer 'dub' version released on a single, that is slowed down and almost hypnotic.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I saw them again later that year when they played with Cult of Luna, TesseracT, and Intronaut and was totally blown away with the deeper cuts that made the set (especially Quiet World, Unfurl, Ashen and Black Session).
The setlist for that tour looked pretty amazing indeed; too bad they didn't play a European tour with those songs. Speaking of European tours, there's gonna be an unplugged tour in the spring and of course they won't come to Finland :-\

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #369 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
I saw them again later that year when they played with Cult of Luna, TesseracT, and Intronaut and was totally blown away with the deeper cuts that made the set (especially Quiet World, Unfurl, Ashen and Black Session).
The setlist for that tour looked pretty amazing indeed; too bad they didn't play a European tour with those songs. Speaking of European tours, there's gonna be an unplugged tour in the spring and of course they won't come to Finland :-\

I'm hoping that they film one of those shows. It seems like a one off thing that's likely to never happen again which is a good reason why it should be filmed for posterity. Seeing as if the Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD won't be release for a long time, it might be great if the unplugged tour were to be part of a bonus DVD.

Strange, they've been on record saying that they love playing in Finland and there's not even one show in their homeland of Sweden either. I was hoping for an American leg of the unplugged tour, but I don't think that'll happen considering they've toured the US three times in the past 2 years which is a lot in their standards.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
Strange, they've been on record saying that they love playing in Finland and there's not even one show in their homeland of Sweden either.
Yea what the hell? That should be against some form of rule...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
They've said they have more fans in Finland, which is why they play here more often than in Sweden, but that doesn't explain why both countries are excluded on this tour :sad:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
https://katatonia.com/2014/02/katatonia-parts-way-with-guitarist-bruce-soord-steps-in-for-unplugged-reworked-tour/

Sodo co-wrote Lethean, which is one of my favorite songs on DEK and has an awesome solo, so I'm bummed that he only got to play on one album (not counting Dethroned...) :sad: That said, I'm ok with any line-up changes as long as Jonas and Anders are still in the band. Judging by the Wisdom of Crowds album, Bruce Soords is a really talented musician and a great replacement, but I can't see him becoming a full-time member due to the fact that he lives in the UK and has no metal background (as far as I know).

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
Damn, I'm bummed that Sodo's no longer part of the band. I was hoping for more of Lethean-ish solos on the next album cause I thought that could've brought the band into a newer direction while still having the trademark Katatonia sound. I'm gonna miss that whiplash headbanging style of his. Bruce Soord's definitely a talented and awesome musician but there's no way he's gonna join Katatonia full time since Pineapple Thief's his main priority.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
https://katatonia.com/2014/02/fill-in-guitarist-for-summer-gigs-announced/

Never heard of the guy, but he's certainly a more likely candidate to join the band full-time. However, with Jonas and Anders writing pretty much all the music, I think the idea of carrying on as a 4-piece with a session guy filling in for live shows isn't farfetched.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
Tomas looks like he could fit in with Katatonia, but it looks like Nale might be his "full-time" band. Sodo and Nille (Niklas) weren't even full time members to begin with when they joined the band in 2010. It wasn't until probably the Last Fair Day Gone Night vinyl/DVD and Dead End Kings recordings that they were listed as "full time" members. And I believe the press release for when the Normann's left initially listed Sodo and Nille as "live/session members".

Speaking of former band members, my favorite bassist in the band was Mikael Oretoft...better than Mattias or Nille. Just kidding. :lol but Discouraged Ones had my favorite bass sound IMO; I liked how clean and clear it sounded. Kinda felt sorry for Oretoft after reading how he got kicked out.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: March 01, 2014, 01:54:55 AM »
Yeah, Oretoft wasn't kicked out in the nicest way, but he only played on like half the songs on DO and the rest of the bass tracks were done by Anders and Jonas. According to a post he made in the official Katatonia forum it was his second time recording in a studio and he was so nervous that his playing was sloppy: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/katatonia/30129-micke-oretoft-if-his-real-name.html#post460910

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2014, 09:30:49 AM »
I wonder if Oretoft is going to be interviewed for that documentary that's supposedly the reason why the Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD has yet to be released. Anders said he wants to documentary to have everyone that was involved in Katatonia's history somehow interviewed. It'd be pretty interesting to hear from those who were involved in the early days. (i.e. Guillaume Le Huche, Dan Swano, Mikael Akerfeldt)

And speaking of Discouraged Ones, here's a fact that probably flew past the radar. Jonas doesn't sing in the chorus for I Break. It's Anders and Mikael Akerfeldt singing the chorus. I actually had a feeling it wasn't Jonas's voice in the chorus cause the voice sounded different from how Jonas sounded on the rest of the album.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
Yeah, I read the interview where they confirmed the I Break thing. I always thought it was Jonas, as his voice has a similar tone in the mellow parts of the album (like the first verse of Deadhouse), where he's not doing an impression of Robert Smith :D

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
I was starting to think it was lost in transit, but thankfully this arrived in my post today! And I'll have Discouraged Ones coming my way soon as well. Thankfully my Discouraged Ones vinyl is coming from the US which means I'll get in my post sooner!  :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
So it's March 4 again... Happy (gloomy?) Katatonia day! :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Been on a Katatonia kick for the past 2 weeks, Viva Emptiness has been flooring me.
I still have The Great Cold Distance to get into, never clicked with me at all.
Got the triple vinyl Last fair Day Gone Night on the way for an absolute steal $52 inc shipping.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
Been on a Katatonia kick for the past 2 weeks, Viva Emptiness has been flooring me.
I still have The Great Cold Distance to get into, never clicked with me at all.

I liked Viva Emptiness, but for the longest time I couldn't listen to it because of the St. Anger like snare drum...the remixed version that came out last year got rid of the St. Anger snare and it sounds much more fuller to me and now it's one of my favorites.

If The Great Cold Distance never clicked with you, have you listened to the B-sides off of the album (Displaced, Dissolving Bonds, Code Against The Code, and Unfurl)? Cause IMO they're better than half the songs on the proper album. Especially Unfurl, that's a top 10 Katatonia song for me.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:45 AM »
I find Code Against the Code pretty meh and Displaced is alright, but I absolutely love Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl :hefdaddy Most of Katatonia's B-sides in general are great songs that would've deserved to be on the standard albums.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
I absolutely love Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl :hefdaddy Most of Katatonia's B-sides in general are great songs that would've deserved to be on the standard albums.

They should really make Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl live staples. When I saw them last September, those two songs really worked well in a live setting. Quiet World should've been on the Discouraged Ones album, and Anders has even admitted that there was no reason why they left the song out the album, same with Wait Outside.