Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 86554 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #490 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:08 AM »
the band stopped playing old songs live because Jonas can't really do the vocal style anymore (and Blakkheim won't do it, as said already), so it makes sense to me that it has reduced further with age.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #491 on: February 06, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #492 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
Well, that's a must-buy for sure! :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #493 on: February 06, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Yeah going to pre order soon.
Really looks stunning, yet the trolls on Facebook are bitching about a new studio album.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #494 on: February 06, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
It'd be nice if they record a new studio album soon, but I think Sanctitude will keep me satisfied with my Katatonia needs for the time being! I think I'll order one of the t-shirt combos from OMerch, but I'm not sure if the BluRay or vinyl come with a download code from that site like the ones on Burning Shed do.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:20 AM »
They've probably been busy working on this release and the latest Bloodbath record, but I bet we'll get a new album before the end of the year.

Offline adace

« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
That trailer looks amazing. Perfect setting for their music. Looking forward to this!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »
I used to like the band quite a bit, but I'll probably sit this one out. Whenever Katatonia release something, I just get this "Deja Vu" feeling, and it's not in a good way. They still have some decent stuff, but it's hard for me to even revisit their albums now, without thinking those thoughts.

Offline adace

« Reply #498 on: March 05, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »
"Day" from the Sanctitude DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB8FC22Yc8w

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #499 on: March 05, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
New album in May, can't wait.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #500 on: March 05, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
Great news. I hope it has a new sound or at least more, their last albums while great have a very similar vibe to them and I would love to hear something a bit more different and new.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #501 on: March 05, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
I really don't know how different of new Katatonia is going to get in 2016?
My guess is that they have taken the ambient thing as far as they can and this one might be a bit heavier.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #502 on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
I don't know, as long as it doesn't sound like a TGCD reboot I'll be fine with it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2016, 01:26:48 AM »
I'd like something similar to Dead End Kings.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2016, 05:38:17 AM »
I have a feeling the new album will be a little bit different, because the gap between it and DEK has been the longest in the band's career. Who knows, maybe playing Viva Emptiness in full and/or doing the unplugged tour has had some kind of influence on the new material? The line-up changes and the release of the anniversary DVD also seem to symbolically indicate the end of an era and the start of a new one. I would definitely welcome a change, because I feel DEK is the culmination of the modern Katatonia sound, and I'm afraid another album in that style wouldn't live up to the last few records.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
I don't know, as long as it doesn't sound like a TGCD reboot I'll be fine with it.

Likely an unpopular opinion, but I would rather a carbon copy of TGCD than a carbon copy of NITND – which is what I think DEK is, hence the unpopularity.

I just got bored with that sound very quickly after I saw them on tour with Opeth for NITND and every song older than NITND outshone the new stuff at the time. So when they continued with that sound, it just caused me to yawn.

Katatonia don't sit still in one sound for very long, though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »

Likely an unpopular opinion, but I would rather a carbon copy of TGCD than a carbon copy of NITND – which is what I think DEK is, hence the unpopularity.

I just got bored with that sound very quickly after I saw them on tour with Opeth for NITND and every song older than NITND outshone the new stuff at the time. So when they continued with that sound, it just caused me to yawn.

Katatonia don't sit still in one sound for very long, though.
Really? DEK to me sounds nothing like NITND. I always though NITND is in style similar to TGCD. That said, I should revisit both TGCD and NITND, last time I checked I wasn't the biggest fan of those two, especially NITND(DEK and LFDGD are my favorites).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #507 on: March 30, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
Album trailer:

https://youtu.be/bKjQduLxALM

New song ('Old Heart Falls'):

https://youtu.be/IIGBNc2nFZA

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
I used to be a big fan of Katatonia. I remembered the first time I heard Viva Emptiness and how mesmerized I was with the dark and melancholic sound they had along with Renkes vocals and the lyrics. Never heard anything like it, it was sad yet beautiful. I then bought The Great Cold Distance on day one of release. I loved it so much and listened to it daily. It's probably my favourite Katatonia album.
I'm sad to say though that i've probably grown tired of their sound because it dosen't do anything to me anymore. It's like i've already heard this new song or something.
I had the same problem with Volbeat, I really digged their sound and it sounded so fresh with his Elvis kind of voice along with the music, nowdays I can't stand them.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2016, 01:05:46 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: May 02, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #511 on: May 13, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
Another new song: https://www.facebook.com/katatonia/videos/10154175584959907/

This album is shaping up to be really good.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: May 14, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
I found Old Heart Falls and Serein a little meh at first, but both grew on me after a few listens. Serac blew me away right away, though! :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #513 on: May 19, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
Listened to the new album and it's great but it doesn't really leave as much an impression on me as DEK did. Gonna have to give it a lot more listens.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: May 22, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »
The new album is amazing. Best album they've done in a decade, maybe ever. So many standouts, Takeover, Old Heart Falls, Sanction, Residual, Serac, Last Song Before the Fade, Shifts and so on, but the big standout for me is maybe the song that feels the most unique, Pale Flag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALMo7AIagR0

A lovely acoustic piece.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #515 on: May 22, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »
I've heard Takeover a few days ago and loved it, so I started my first full listen today.

Wow. You're absolutely right about Pale Flag, that's my favorite along with Takeover, Residual and Passer.

Guess I should check out Dead End Kings again, remember liking it but I didn't listen to it more than once.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #516 on: May 22, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
I liked both Dead End Kings and Night is the New Day but on the new one it feels like they're fully embracing the more "progressive" sound that they have been going for over the last decade or so. The songs are slightly stronger and more interesting. :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: June 10, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »
My review of The Fall of Hearts

Calling the album a disappointment would be too harsh, but I haven't totally warmed up to it even after multiple listens, because a lot of the catchiness has been sacrificed in favor of complexity.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:59 AM »
What?! It's their best album by far! There's plenty of catchiness to go around. My main gripe with some of their previous albums is that every song sounds the same, and while many of them are catchy and enjoyable, I feel like you can't say that about this album. It's got variety, more dynamics, and they have really perfected the sound they started on Night is the New Day and made it their own. The Great Cold Distance used to be my favorite but this has more interesting things going on and it's less one-note than their previous albums.

Frankly I'm surprised you feel the way you do. :P

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »
Dunno, for some reason it just doesn't hit me the way the previous albums did. :dunno: I'm totally digging some of the songs, but can't get into or connect with the album on a deeper level. Maybe 70 minutes of Katatonia is just too much to digest or I'm not in the right mood for their music at this time of the year...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #520 on: July 11, 2016, 01:16:42 AM »
Australian Tour in December  :xbones

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: July 11, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
Dunno, for some reason it just doesn't hit me the way the previous albums did. :dunno: I'm totally digging some of the songs, but can't get into or connect with the album on a deeper level. Maybe 70 minutes of Katatonia is just too much to digest or I'm not in the right mood for their music at this time of the year...

Same. They're becoming more and more boring to me with each album since NITND. Even the Viva Emptiness re-mix was more boring than the original (though the added vocals to "Inside the City of Glass" make it way better). I also find their early-record period (Discouraged Ones, etc.) incredibly boring, so it's basically full circle for me at this point, with a peak at LFDGD/VE/TGCD.

I respect that they continue to do what they feel like, same with Opeth... just wish the stuff hit me.

I'd love if Katatonia started to write in any genre and threw it all together on the next album. One song might be doom metal, one might be post-goth, one might be October Tide-style black/doom/whatever, etc. Use any and all Katatonia genres all together. That'd keep my attention at least.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
Part from Leaders with Orchestra, from the show last night in my home town of Plovdiv, at the ancient Roman theatre. I was surprised, the orchestra worked beautifully with this album on every song. Too bad I couldn't record more, but the shitty phone can only do so much and it wasn't very pleasing to have to focus on a camera and not the show itself. I have 2-3 more short clips like that.
They played the entire The Great Cold Distance with the orchestra and then after a short break they returned for a second set with few new songs and some oldies without the orchestra.

Leaders - https://youtu.be/dCebPKZgR4w
Increase - https://youtu.be/x-IchNkvhtw

Someone else recorded the entire Journey Through Pressure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLLuCU6u3Q
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:24:58 AM by abydos »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #523 on: September 24, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Was this show filmed for future release?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
Nope.