Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 85464 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
Just listened to Unfurl for the first time... Beautiful song.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
They played it live on their last US tour for the first time as a full band and it was the perfect song to end the show (they played an encore afterwards when I saw them).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Yeah it's a very nice song, but ultimately for me a little too repetitive.
Leaning just a bit too much on the same guitar melody for the whole song.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #423 on: April 17, 2014, 06:56:59 AM »
Daniel left the band  :tdwn :angry:  I love his playing. Was a huge influence for me.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #424 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
It's a revolving door lately :-\ It's always sad to see talented people give up their careers because of the shitty state of the business.

BTW, Katatonia are headlining on the second day of a new metal festival in Helsinki in September and I'm thinking of going. Who knows, it might be my only chance to see them with the fill-in members?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #425 on: April 17, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »
 :censored It's sad that he's leaving the band...his drumming was crucial to the Katatonia sound from LFDGD onward IMO. :-\

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
Daniel left the band  :tdwn :angry:  I love his playing. Was a huge influence for me.
Really? Wow that's a pitty! I really loved his playing, he had a very tasty approach to his fills and grooves and had a "in the pocket" kind of feel to his drumming.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
See, that's what I always loved about his playing, too. Even when he played something in an odd-time, it always sounded completely natural and fitting to the music; almost to the point where you didn't even notice it. Too bad he went completely under the radar in drumming--and even in metal drumming.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: April 17, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
See, that's what I always loved about his playing, too. Even when he played something in an odd-time, it always sounded completely natural and fitting to the music; almost to the point where you didn't even notice it. Too bad he went completely under the radar in drumming--and even in metal drumming.
Agreed, his playing is criminally underrated.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
He def felt like the most underrated guy in the band! I loved his playing and I def agree that he was just always "in the pocket" type of guy.

It's crazy... I always thought they were a very popular band but damn... he still can't provide for the family.
Rough time for musicians I guess  :-\

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Agreed, his playing is criminally underrated.
Possibly one of the more underrated drummers of today I think.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: April 17, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
It's crazy... I always thought they were a very popular band but damn... he still can't provide for the family.
Rough time for musicians I guess  :-\
Mid-sized bands like Katatonia probably suffer the most in the current situation, because big names obviously make enough money to provide a living for their members, and small bands can still balance music and daytime jobs pretty easily due to the lack of constant touring. Anders and Jonas probably earn somewhat decently as the songwriters, but the other guys may be more dependent on touring.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
With Sodo and Daniel gone from the band, I can't help but wonder how long Niklas (Nille) will remain in the band.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 19, 2014, 12:14:28 AM »
Niklas is like 10 years younger than Jonas and Anders, so I'm sure he'll stick around, at least until he starts a family.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
I've heard this band compared to Anathema 'cause their change of direction from doom/death to something more emotive. I got The Great Cold Distance and Night is the New Day, but they're quite heavy for my taste. Could you recommend me something a little softer?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #435 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
Dead End Kings is a tad bit softer but not by much.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #436 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
you could try the remix of Dead End Kings called Dethroned & Uncrowned.  It is basically a more ambient version of the same album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: April 24, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
you could try the remix of Dead End Kings called Dethroned & Uncrowned.  It is basically a more ambient version of the same album.
Seconded. Also, if you want something that's soft yet has drums and electric guitars, then Last Fair Deal Gone Down is the right choice.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
I finally got my 5.1 version of TGCD from Amazon, 2nd attempt, the first order was 'lost in the mail'.
Really good surround mix so far.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »
I have the 5.1 of DEK and D&U and they sound great. Might pick up the 5.1 of TGCD sometime down the road.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »
I've listened to TGCD in 5.1 only once, when I was visiting my friend who has a surround system. It sounded ok, although I thought Heritage by Opeth had a way cooler 5.1 mix. I tried the first couple of songs from DEK in 5.1 as well, but for some reason the lead vocals were missing - apparently I'm not he only one with this problem.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #441 on: May 03, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »
DEK 5.1 was fine when I last played it and I didn't notice any vocals missing  :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #442 on: May 03, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
I've listened to TGCD in 5.1 only once, when I was visiting my friend who has a surround system. It sounded ok, although I thought Heritage by Opeth had a way cooler 5.1 mix. I tried the first couple of songs from DEK in 5.1 as well, but for some reason the lead vocals were missing - apparently I'm not he only one with this problem.

is it possible the lead vocals are in the center channel and you don't have one/have it hooked up?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: May 03, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
Dunno, it was my friend's surround system (I don't have one myself). We listened to a bunch of 5.1 mixes and they all sounded ok, except DEK.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #444 on: May 03, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »

is it possible the lead vocals are in the center channel and you don't have one/have it hooked up?

Did you accidentally play it in "Stereo"? I think you might have by accident because all DEK 5.1s have the left and right channels of the 5.1 mix as it's stereo mix. When I listened to it in 5.1 the lead vocals were in the mix.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #445 on: May 08, 2014, 04:52:58 PM »
The Uncrowned and Reworked Tour just started today. Apparently this is the setlist for the tour...some surprises I think, and songs performed for the first time.

www.setlist.fm/setlist/katatonia/2014/biebob-vosselaar-belgium-43c377f7.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:34:24 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: May 08, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
Awesome setlist, would love to see them play Day! Too bad they're not coming to Finland until September :sad:

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #447 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »
Too bad that they've decided to not rework any of the Death/Doom songs (yeah Day was from that era but I wouldn't consider the song to be exactly Death/Doom). It would've been intriguing to see how different it'd sound vocally to say the least. But still, with songs that I'd consider part of the holy grail of songs that are rarely/never played live(Day, Gone, and A Darkness Coming) and pretty much covering almost every album in the set, it's an awesome setlist.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: May 14, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
The band have now announced that their sold out London show at the stunning Union Chapel on 16th May will be filmed for a very special DVD release later in the year on Kscope.

Guitarist and founding member Anders Nyström comments:

"This has been a different tour. I thought it was gonna be good, but it was better! Out with the distortion, the headbanging and the explosive lights... In with the acoustic guitars, chairs and the candles.... not permanently, just momentarily. It’s like having a guest chef cooking the menu this week, gotta enjoy it while it lasts, right? For the first time ever, we've been able to play some old beautiful churches and enjoy their sacred aesthetics and acoustics much to our advantage. Appropriately we also heard your prayers from near and afar and its now a fact the tour will include a DVD recording of the Union Chapel show in London. Come Friday, we will also have the honor to feature a very special guest too that will return the crown to the king."
Awesome, this is gonna make the DVD even better! :tup Silje Wergeland lives in the UK, so it's not hard to guess who will appear at the London show ;)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #449 on: May 14, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
Awesome, I was hoping for at least a live CD but a live DVD is even better! They hinted at adding another song into the set starting with tonight's show, hopefully that will also make it into the DVD. :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
They added Omerta a few nights ago.

BTW, I just realized that the only songs in the current set that were played at the anniversary show are Teargas and Tonight's Music, so we'll get two almost completely different setlists on the DVD :metal Well, the fact that these shows are unplugged makes them special already but still...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
The Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD that was slated for a Fall release is now being pushed forward for an August release according to the band who responded to a fan's question on Facebook. I'm not sure about this, but considering that the LFDGN release is suppose to have a bonus DVD, the unplugged DVD will be a separate release.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:32 AM »
Well, I'll buy both DVDs then :lol

E: Evidence was played last night: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/katatonia/2014/les-docks-lausanne-switzerland-73c35221.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:21:59 AM by ? »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 27, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Great cover of Tonight's Music by a Finnish electropop artist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3icQxduqc8Q

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #454 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
Yeah great version.