Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 84041 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
Any appreciation for Sounds of Decay? I think it's one of the best EP's I've heard and it offers some good extra if you listen to Brave Murder Day in full and it feels like the album ends too quickly (pretty ironic that such a monotonous album can sometimes feel too short! :lol). Nowhere is one of my all-time favorite Katatonia songs; the other 2 pieces and Untrue are great as well. Then again Katatonia have always written some awesome non-album tracks: Dissolving Bonds, Unfurl, Quiet World, Second...

Offline adace

« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Any appreciation for Sounds of Decay? I think it's one of the best EP's I've heard and it offers some good extra if you listen to Brave Murder Day in full and it feels like the album ends too quickly (pretty ironic that such a monotonous album can sometimes feel too short! :lol). Nowhere is one of my all-time favorite Katatonia songs; the other 2 pieces and Untrue are great as well. Then again Katatonia have always written some awesome non-album tracks: Dissolving Bonds, Unfurl, Quiet World, Second...
Just had a listen to it. Good stuff :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
Jonas is involved in a new project, Wisdom of Crowds: https://www.kscopemusic.com/wisdomofcrowds/promo/ The teaser sounds promising! :caffeine:

Offline adace

« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Jonas is involved in a new project, Wisdom of Crowds: https://www.kscopemusic.com/wisdomofcrowds/promo/ The teaser sounds promising! :caffeine:
Count me interested. :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
I'm more interested in it because it's Bruce from Pineapple Thief really. Teaser didn't blow me away, but I'm still fairly excited.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:19 AM »
Jonas is one of my favorite singers, so it'll be nice to hear his voice in another project too. Speaking of projects, he has done some hip hop stuff with Åkerfeldt, but Mikael said that they will never release anything! :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
For those who haven't heard it yet, Wisdom of Crowds made a song called Frozen North available a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGMrkM4r5s

I definitely like it! :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
https://katatonia.com/2013/06/viva-emptiness-10th-year-anniversary-re-issue-and-tour/

I am excited.  VE is one of my favorite albums and can only imagine how it would be to see it done live  :metal

Then I read the poster and realized they are all European dates  :sadpanda:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Great to hear they're remixing VE, that album deserves better sound quality! :tup Too bad they're only supporting Paradise Lost on those few shows, I'd love to see them when PL come to Finland in September.

In other news: Katatonia reached their goal with the PledgeMusic project!

Offline Limelight

« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »
Really looking forward to both the improved VE and the stripped down DEK.

While it's not as polished as the next 3 albums, I don't have any problems at all with the production on VE. Though, that obviously doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement, and if it's something they really want to do I'm sure the result will be excellent!

Offline adace

« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2013, 02:14:09 AM »
Glad they're trying something like this. I'm excited to hear how it turns out!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2013, 04:10:27 AM »
Viva Emptiness was actually the first album I heard by Katatonia but after the release of The Great Cold Distance the album kind of disappeared from my playlist, I still like it though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
More European dates for the special tour with Paradise Lost: https://katatonia.com/2013/07/viva-emptiness-tour-extended-into-europe/

Looks like Finland will only get regular PL shows and Katatonia won't be there :sad:

(post #5858 - nuggetz!)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
So. I have The Great Cold Distance. Where should I go next?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »
Viva Emptiness (which happens to be my favorite, but it's of that era of Katatonia so it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot).
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
I wouldn't get Viva Emptiness yet, because there will be a remixed version in November and it's one of my least favorite albums anyway (I'm probably in the minority though) because of a couple of weak songs and some slightly immature lyrics. If you liked TGCD, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Night is the New Day and Dead End Kings.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
all four of those (VE, TGCD, NITND, DEK) have a fairly similar sound, so if you like any of them, go ahead and get them all.  I have all of them in my regular album rotation.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks, guys. Viva Emptiness will be my next purchase. :metal

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2013, 06:38:03 AM »
Viva Emptiness is the only Katatonia album I actually like. I still almost never listen to it. :-\

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »
Do you have The Great Cold Distance?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2013, 06:44:19 AM »
No, I've got Brave Murder Day, Viva Emptiness and Dead End Kings. Is TGCD worth getting?

btw, I just decided to give VE another chance.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
Well, I really like it. But, I'm not a Katatonia expert, so I don't know whether you'd like it or not.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:15 AM »
Trying to figure out what I should go for next. I picked up Last Fair Deal Gone Down on a blind purchase and really enjoyed it. I understand they have changed their style a lot over the years so I'm curious what else is in the same vein as this.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
Trying to figure out what I should go for next. I picked up Last Fair Deal Gone Down on a blind purchase and really enjoyed it. I understand they have changed their style a lot over the years so I'm curious what else is in the same vein as this.
Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones are closest to the LFDGD style, although they are less polished and Jonas' vocals weren't as strong yet. The new albums are more modern and heavier, but Dead End Kings is their most mellow release since Last Fair Deal, so it could be a good place to start if you want to try their new stuff.
No, I've got Brave Murder Day, Viva Emptiness and Dead End Kings. Is TGCD worth getting?
You didn't like Brave Murder Day? :(

If you found Viva enjoyable, then I think you could like TGCD as well, because it continues the heavier style of VE. It demands more listens before opening up though.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2013, 02:52:43 AM »
You didn't like Brave Murder Day? :(

No I didn't to be honest. I got it solely because Akerfeldt did the vocals on it, and apart from Brave and Rainroom which I kind of enjoyed, I found it way to repetitive and boring :-\

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Well, the band wanted it to be repetitive and monotonous :lol However, you can find some variety if you listen carefully enough - Day obviously differs from the rest of the album and 12 was written 2 years before the rest of the album and it's pretty melodic. I also find Endtime a bit doomier than the other songs.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
I don't really feel the need to listen to it again :)

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »
Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones are closest to the LFDGD style, although they are less polished and Jonas' vocals weren't as strong yet. The new albums are more modern and heavier, but Dead End Kings is their most mellow release since Last Fair Deal, so it could be a good place to start if you want to try their new stuff.

Thanks for the recs, ended up picking up Dead End Kings tonight. Still on my first spin, but liking it so far.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
Thanks for the recs, ended up picking up Dead End Kings tonight. Still on my first spin, but liking it so far.
:tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
The One You Are Looking for is Not Here (Dethroned & Uncrowned version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVjaJi8m2A

It would've been more interesting if they had released one of the heavier songs, but I like what they have done with this tune.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
The One You Are Looking for is Not Here (Dethroned & Uncrowned version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVjaJi8m2A

It would've been more interesting if they had released one of the heavier songs, but I like what they have done with this tune.

Meh.

This seems pretty pointless to me, if Katatonia wants to make an ambient record (which is a great idea) they should just write a new album, not do a bunch of re-mixes of already existing songs where the originals are pretty much always going to be superior.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the original versions, but I still want to hear the new release.

Offline adace

« Reply #348 on: August 18, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the original versions, but I still want to hear the new release.
This.

Offline adace

« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
So I heard some of Dethroned and Uncrowned and I think they did a fantastic job reworking the songs; especially The Racing Heart :hefdaddy