Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 84051 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »
I thought the new album wouldn't be released until Fall, this is great news! :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
From Facebook:
UPDATE! It's been a busy time lately and the hard work has finally paid off. We have now thirteen songs in the bag and hey, that means the recording of our new album can and shall begin. We're starting with the drums on Monday and we'll be once again work together with David Castillo (who engineered and mixed 'Night Is The New Day'), so even though we always strive to improve our productions, it should sound sweet that it's the same team putting this one together, just throw in some new gear, gadgets and toys with that! The recordings as well as the mix will be divided between Ghostward and our own HQ over the next month and we'll keep you posted on the progress.

So, how does the material sound like? Well, you got the lush textures, the moody melodies, the heavy parts, the progressive touches, the mellow bits and so on... Is it metal? Is it rock? Is it alternative? Is it singer/songwriter? Actually at times it feels like we're exploring territories where Katatonia would be an orphan in the land of "genres". We can't tell where and to whom we belong and the goal is that it doesn't even matter, because before and above any genre there's first an acceptance level of music being good, or being bad. Katatonia might be bad people, but we create good music. Amen.

We also hooked up again with keyboard maestro extraordinaire Frank Default and regardless of the internet speculations, he's not to "blame" for the increased use of electronics since the last album. That part has been called for as we simply feel that it has grown to fill a hole in our sound inside, or alongside, the classic formation of instruments. In our world, we allow mellotrones, hammonds, rhodes and strings to integrate with loops, distortion and filters to manifest in the katatonic maelstrom. It's our time to marry contemporary with vintage. Here's our 9th album to be delivered!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
yes!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Great news!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline adace

« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:41 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »
Actually the title isn't Born from Nothing: https://www.facebook.com/notes/katatonia/false-album-title-circulating/10150885826047384 Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to hearing the album! :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
Oh well  :laugh: That would have been a pretty cool title though.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
The new album title has been revealed, (for real this time! ;D) the release dates and some artwork can be seen in this pic: https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/414791_10150925777879907_5954199906_9594593_1542342895_o.jpg

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »
Both titles are cool, but I like "Born From Nothing" a little bit better.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
The new album title has been revealed, (for real this time! ;D) the release dates and some artwork can be seen in this pic: https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/414791_10150925777879907_5954199906_9594593_1542342895_o.jpg

:corn YES

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »

Awesome artwork, I must say. I'm just hoping for more variety on this album... That's pretty much the only thing that Katatonia's missing.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline adace

« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
 :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
The cover is awesome.

Tracklisting for ‘Dead End Kings’ (not in final running order):

THE PARTING
    HYPNONE
    UNDO YOU
    THE RACING HEART
    BUILDINGS
    LEECH
    THE ONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS NOT HERE (featuring Silje Wergeland)
    FIRST PRAYER
    AMBITIONS
    LETHEAN
    DEAD LETTERS

I'm very curious how the song with Silje will turn out.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
The artwork looks like a mix between Night is the New Day and Brave Murder Day. Awesome.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »

Awesome artwork, I must say. I'm just hoping for more variety on this album... That's pretty much the only thing that Katatonia's missing.

The last album had a lot of variety IMO with songs like Idle Blood, Inheritance, and Departer

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »
The artwork looks like a mixture of Brave Murder Day and the latest In Flames album - the dead bird is back!
Both titles are cool, but I like "Born From Nothing" a little bit better.
Born from Nothing is ok, but IMO it's too typical for a depressive/atmospheric metal album. Dead End Kings sounded weird at first but after reading Jonas' explanation for it I started to like it a lot.
I'm just hoping for more variety on this album... That's pretty much the only thing that Katatonia's missing.
The last album had a lot of variety IMO with songs like Idle Blood, Inheritance, and Departer
I agree 100 % and Anders said they have pushed the extremes even further from each other so DEK should be the most diverse Katatonia album.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
I've never been a fan of Katatonia, but now that I see they're playing with Devin Townsend, I figure I should get acquainted with the music. Where should I start? I'd like both your favourite, and the best album to start with.

Thanks!

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Their most recent album is going to be what most of their set is going to be like.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
Night is the New Day and The Great Cold Distance.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
I've never been a fan of Katatonia, but now that I see they're playing with Devin Townsend, I figure I should get acquainted with the music. Where should I start? I'd like both your favourite, and the best album to start with.

Thanks!
My personal favorite changes all the time, but the best introduction album would be Night is the New Day since it's the most diverse one and represents their overall style very well.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Their most recent album is going to be what most of their set is going to be like.

??????????????????

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »
Iīm really looking forward to Dead End Kings! I have a question for you all: Are you always in the mood to listen to Katatonia? For me: Their music comes really to life when iīm a little down for whatever reason and when iīm in a good mood and itīs nice weather outside and you know what i mean "itīs all fucking jolly" times, you know!  :) I find it hard to listen to and their music donīt speak to me in the same way! Anyone feeling the same?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »
^ i definitely have to be 'in the mood.'

anybody else wish they'd re-record the albums from Discouraged Ones through Last Fair Deal Gone Down? a lot of the songs are great, but i feel like they would really benefit from Katatonia's current production style.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
I don't have to be in a certain mood but Katatonia does work the best in the dark time of the year.

About the production: IMO Tonight's Decision is the only album that would improve notably from a re-recording - the rhythm guitar tracks in the left and right channel sound so different from each other and the doubletracking of Jonas' vocals is a bit poorly done (see: "You left with nothing to fear" in In Death, a Song), the drums also sound a bit flat. I think LFDGD is pretty well-produced and while DO is a bit raw-sounding it doesn't bother me and although Jonas' voice sounds pretty untrained on DO and TD, the lack of confidence makes the vocals sound more depressed which fits the style of those records.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
Absolutely.

And I would say that if you are just getting into the band and are seein them soon with Townsend, I would suggest listening to both Brave Murder Day (to hear their old death metal sound) and to listen to The Great Cold Distance (to hear their more recent gothic rock sound). Katatonia is the only band that I know of that have switched their style so many times. Their really early stuff is pretty much black metal; then they had a more of a traditional death metal sound with Brave Murder Day; doom rock with Discouraged Ones, and then from Tonight's Decision to Viva Emptiness they had more of an alternative thing goin' on; and now they're getting a little heavier again with The Great Cold Distance, Night Is The New Day, and Dead End Kings (which is only an estimate right now, since nothing from the record has been released yet). But it's all incredible haha.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
^ i'd actually place DO/TD/LFDGD together as a trilogy, though i agree DO is much doomier than the later two. similarly, i'd put VE, TGCD and NITND together as another 'trilogy' of sorts, as they all employ similar production and fairly similar writing (although NITND is a lot more dynamic).

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:46 AM »
They released a song from the album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79MohYXcl4

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
...whoah. That was really good.
My anticipation for this album just got a lot, lot higher.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline adace

« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
Love this band. Love this song. Can't wait for the new album  :metal :metal :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Yeah that was cool, i love the vocal harmonies that Renkse does!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
Gonna be an awesome album. Their last two were my favorites and I'm really excited for this one

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:47 AM »
The song isn't really groundbreaking or surprising but it's great which matters the most! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2012, 05:08:41 AM »
They released a song from the album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79MohYXcl4

This is excellent, looking forward to the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.