Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 83867 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »
lol fail
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
^Exactly!
NITND is definitely a great album but it's not as consistent as TGCD for me. On the latter I still cannot even decide on my favourite song (it's a never-ending battle between Leaders, Soil's Song and Rusted), and basically the whole album is on an excellent level. NITND has amazing songs (Departer! Also, Forsaker and of course Liberation :biggrin:), but also some that are just "ok" for me (The Promise of Deceit).
Same for me: NITND has higher highs, but also lower lows, whereas TGCD is consistent throughout.
I've started listening to Katatonia in preparation for the Opeth show.  So far I've only listened to Viva Emptiness.  It's decent, although I'm not very excited about the tracks they're playing live.  I think I'll be a bigger fan of their earlier work; I'm going to try Dance of December Souls next.
If you want to recognise the songs when you go to the show, I'd recommend The Great Cold Distance and Night is the New Day, since they seem to play mostly stuff from these 2 albums on the Opeth support tour. But if you like melodic doom death, you'll probably enjoy DODS, and possibly Brave Murder Day.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2011, 08:41:29 AM »
DEPARTER

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
I don't know how they are now, but when I saw them open for PT, they were pretty bad.
Which sucks, because I like them as a bad, but the sound was just pretty lame, and I guess better equipment and them being the main act probably would have made it much better.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
I don't know how they are now, but when I saw them open for PT, they were pretty bad.
Which sucks, because I like them as a bad, but the sound was just pretty lame, and I guess better equipment and them being the main act probably would have made it much better.
I've heard mostly positive comments about their headlining gigs, and some people have said that the 2 new guys (who joined at the end of '09) are more energetic than their predecessors. However, their festival shows have been said to be less good.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
I've started listening to Katatonia in preparation for the Opeth show.  So far I've only listened to Viva Emptiness.  It's decent, although I'm not very excited about the tracks they're playing live.  I think I'll be a bigger fan of their earlier work; I'm going to try Dance of December Souls next.
If you want to recognise the songs when you go to the show, I'd recommend The Great Cold Distance and Night is the New Day, since they seem to play mostly stuff from these 2 albums on the Opeth support tour. But if you like melodic doom death, you'll probably enjoy DODS, and possibly Brave Murder Day.

Thanks.  That's my goal, so I'll check those two out instead.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
Hey I just listened to Omerta  :tup it's very filled with emotion! Kind of an abrupt ending, and a bit short, but one of the best on Viva I've heard! I like the "do you remember that I used to sing?" lyric!
I am a Survivor, and this is my Destiny.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
So I decided not to go to a one-off headlining show for these guys in Rochester.

Did I make the right decision? :P

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
Hmm... I saw them live 2 times and they were great.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
So I decided not to go to a one-off headlining show for these guys in Rochester.

You made one of the worst decisions of your life!

Offline Liberation

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
Hey I just listened to Omerta  :tup it's very filled with emotion! Kind of an abrupt ending, and a bit short, but one of the best on Viva I've heard! I like the "do you remember that I used to sing?" lyric!
The ending is intentional. "What is it I have been drinking?" - poison.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
I only have NITND and LFDGD, but, so far, NITND is... okay. Kinda boring metal I guess.  Some good songs, but nothing that really jumps out as amazing.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down, however, is pretty great. It definitely has more of an alt. rock sound, but that's okay, because their heavier parts are pretty forgettable.

I'm gonna give Night Is The New Day a few more listens before I pass judgement but it's not looking good.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
The ending is intentional. "What is it I have been drinking?" - poison.

I can see that.

I've always had this idea that VE is a concept album, or at least has a theme through it.  I've thought of it as the "Sopranos Ending" (Omerta means a code of silence, so maybe the singer broke the code and is killed, abruptly ending the song).
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
Well, it seems to have a bit of a crime theme running throughout. A lot of the songs have something related or that could be interpreted as related.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2011, 07:10:13 AM »

You made one of the worst decisions of your life!
This, if I had a chance to go to a 22-song Katatonia show but didn't go there, I would regret it afterwards.
Well, it seems to have a bit of a crime theme running throughout. A lot of the songs have something related or that could be interpreted as related.
Yep. I recall Jonas saying that he didn't write it as a conept album but there are similar themes in the lyrics.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »

Thanks.  That's my goal, so I'll check those two out instead.

I ended up liking The Great Cold Distance more than Viva Emptiness, so I was pretty happy with the setlist afterall.  The show wasn't very good, though, because the vocals and lead guitar were nearly inaudible.  Luckily, Opeth's sound was significantly better.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
This band was so awesome live. I want to see them again.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Someone recommend me a Katatonia album....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
The Great Cold Distance

GOGOGOGO
I AM A GUY

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
I downloaded Night is the New Day... Enjoying it. will check out The Great Cold Distance tomorrow.

This shit is aaawesome
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2011, 07:05:17 AM »
Anyone else like A Premonition? I think it's the most underrated Katatonia song, along with Last Resort and the whole Sounds of Decay EP. They should play it live someday; the outro, where all the instruments stop playing one after another, is awesome!

Offline Liberation

« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
Definitely. It's one of my favourites from VE. The change of mood from neutral to scared/pleading and then back again is incredible.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »
Katatonia got referenced in Skyrim.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »
Yeah I saw that on their Facebook, cool stuff.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2011, 01:11:05 AM »
Lucky Swedes! I guess Mikael would appear on that gig too if he wasn't touring with Opeth.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
Did they record the show with Linder for a DVD? There are a few shitty clips on youtube but Departer sounds killer live with him.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
The show they recorded was in London last May so no Departer or Linder, unless they film the gig in Sweden (which doesn't seem very probable).

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2011, 01:15:10 AM »
That's just sad.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2011, 01:20:26 AM »
Seen them live twice.... First one was at a festival where the sound system sucked... It seemed as if they were performing bad live... Two years later I saw them at KOKO London... this time they were  :omg:

So those who didn't like them at the first time around should give them another chance....  me thinks....

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 07:24:04 AM »
Jonas mentioned in an interview with Finnish metal magazine Inferno that they try to include some stuff from the final 20th anniversary shows as extra on the DVD so I guess there's a chance that Departer might be on there too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »
Wow, they played Unfurl with Frank Default in Stockholm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTLKKh547Mk  :omg:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
KATATONIA To Release New Album Before Next Summer - Dec. 31, 2011

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167792
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
YES

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net