Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 103008 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl/Mahomes GOAT status solidified)
« Reply #2975 on: February 13, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »
The Sarah McLachlan one for Busch Light when the dude tells her to be quiet and says 'that's a Wolf' was pretty good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2976 on: February 13, 2023, 01:28:51 PM »
Just a couple quick points about this game before too many false narratives run wild. First of all, Pat was almost perfect in this game - a QBR of 96.4 which may or may not be the highest in Super Bowl history. He had virtually no negative plays, no sacks or interceptions, and the only thing that kept the Chiefs from scoring 50 is that he never had the ball in the first half. They declined a TD at the end of the game and missed an easy FG, so that's another 7 points for 45 total against the #1 Defense.

Secondly, I'm begging Patriot and Brady fans to stop pissing and moaning about the defensive holding - it's the EXACT SAME call that gave Brady and the Bucs the NFC Championship 2 years ago. Remember? Against the Packers, calling nothing all game and then calling Kevin King for the hold that iced the game.

For this post-season during which he played a grand total of 1 healthy quarter, Pat completed 72% with 7 TDs and 0 picks.

It may sound crazy, but if you look at advanced stats the Chiefs significantly outplayed the Eagles. Hurts had way more negative plays counting fumbles and sacks and was way worse than Pat in the red zone, and their run game had way more negative plays:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2023/super-bowl-lvii-dvoaquick-reads

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2977 on: February 13, 2023, 01:51:15 PM »
I guess we'll see what happens with Terry Bradshaw after he basically called Andy Reid fat on live TV after the game.  I think Bradshaw is the NFL's version of Charles Barkley in that everyone knows he says offensive stuff and it is accepted because it is part of his brand, but that one might have been over the line, even for him.  Plus, Bradshaw, in his old age, isn't as charismatic as Sir Charles, so he likely doesn't have as much rope as Barkley does.

I don't think Andy Reid was really bothered by it. They seemed to be having a good time. These are old ballplayers and coaches talking to each other. Also, Andy Reid doesn't drink, and has been open about his love of cheeseburgers.

Agreed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Eagles/Chiefs Super Bowl)
« Reply #2978 on: February 13, 2023, 01:53:18 PM »
  Mahomes played very well for that game (he's a great actor as well; ;)) but he wasn't even the best QB on the field that game, let alone "the GOAT").

I missed this earlier, but you disappoint me, sir.  Even after a game like that, you're still basically doing the "yeah but" with Mahomes?  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2979 on: February 13, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »
Mahomes was most definitely the best QB on the field.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: February 13, 2023, 02:36:37 PM »
Half time show was great, stage setup was fantastic.

Missed this when you first posted it.....man.....I disagree wholeheartedly. Extremely boring.....zero choreography unless you consider mildly jumping up and down and shaking each leg back and forth for 20 minutes choreographed?  No delineation between when a song ended and new one started.....just one long....boring ride. No guest performers.....no twists or turns....just droning boringness.

The stages were cool but the performers had nothing to do but stand there. Neat idea but bad execution.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2981 on: February 13, 2023, 02:38:57 PM »

Missed this when you first posted it.....man.....I disagree wholeheartedly. Extremely boring.....zero choreography unless you consider mildly jumping up and down and shaking each leg back and forth for 20 minutes choreographed?  No delineation between when a song ended and new one started.....just one long....boring ride. No guest performers.....no twists or turns....just droning boringness.

The stages were cool but the performers had nothing to do but stand there. Neat idea but bad execution.

Zero choreography??WUT?

My biggest issue with it was that it went on forever.

I also didn't listen to the music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2982 on: February 13, 2023, 02:44:05 PM »

Zero choreography??WUT?

I found it a little creepy, to be honest. Maybe it was because I had it muted, but it seemed more than a little dystopian to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: February 13, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »

Zero choreography??WUT?

As far as actually dancing yeah.....all that happened was some swaying and continual jumping and some leg shimmy's. Wasn't a whole lot going on there at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2984 on: February 13, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
That music in the halftime show is generally not my thing, so I thought it was pretty meh, but my 17-year old nephew, whom I watched the game with along with my dad and older brother, thought it wasn't that good either, and he thinks Rihanna is hot and likes some of her songs, so take that for what it is worth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2985 on: February 13, 2023, 02:57:02 PM »
I was just amazed at the energy and the synching of the dancers.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2986 on: February 13, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
I actually got around to watching a bit of the halftime show late last night, and it was the overproduced pop  extravaganza I had expected, nothing about it surprised nor entertained me, with the exception of the moving stages which were very cool.

Mind you, this is a personal taste thing, she's basically the biggest artist in the world, so I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one. (not here, but in general)_

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2987 on: February 13, 2023, 03:04:25 PM »
I actually got around to watching a bit of the halftime show late last night, and it was the overproduced pop  extravaganza I had expected, nothing about it surprised nor entertained me, with the exception of the moving stages which were very cool.

Mind you, this is a personal taste thing, she's basically the biggest artist in the world, so I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one. (not here, but in general)_

I am pretty sure that is Lizzo.

(this is a joke, so no one freak out)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: February 13, 2023, 03:25:21 PM »
I didn't care much for the halftime show myself.  I understand, musically, it's not aimed for someone like myself so I get that.  I just felt like there was nothing unique about that show to draw me in.  I thought some of the camera angles and lighting made for some cool shots including of the dancers, but that's really about the presentation of the show, not the show itself that I found enjoyable.  Also, I believe she was lip synced, but still, she didn't even sound great.  The people I watched with (my gf's family) weren't totally impressed either.  But then I go on twitter and everyone's saying it was great.  I don't know, I feel like last year was significantly better.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2989 on: February 13, 2023, 03:32:50 PM »
  Mahomes played very well for that game (he's a great actor as well; ;)) but he wasn't even the best QB on the field that game, let alone "the GOAT").

I missed this earlier, but you disappoint me, sir.  Even after a game like that, you're still basically doing the "yeah but" with Mahomes?  :facepalm: :facepalm:

This. At this point I don’t know what Mahomes has to do for Stads to accept his greatness.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2990 on: February 13, 2023, 03:46:51 PM »
Keep winning rings throughout a 20+ year career?

I won't speak for Stadler, and I don't know as we're even on the same side of this. For my part I do think he's great, and I think he's one of the greats. I just don't think he's quite earned the standing he's got right now. I'm not ready to put him on the Rushmore yet, even if he may well get there someday. If he is the legend that people make him out to be he'll get there eventually anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2991 on: February 13, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »

I'm curious how you justify this.  Number of completions:  Hurts (27-21).  Completion percentage:  Mahomes (77.78% - 71.05%.  Yards:  Hurts (304-182).  Touchdown passes:  Mahomes (3-1).  Completely unforced fumbles that resulted in the Eagles having a 10-point halftime lead when it should have been 20-24 points:  Hurts (1-0).

Any talk of "GOAT" is even sillier than the folks who still think Montana is the "GOAT" solely because he was undefeated in Super Bowls.  The most valuable players yesterday were the Chiefs' offensive and defensive lineman.  Mahomes didn't play well, but with no standout individual performance, the winning team's QB wins by default (see, e.g., Manning, Eli).

The Sarah McLachlan one for Busch Light when the dude tells her to be quiet and says 'that's a Wolf' was pretty good.

I wasn't paying attention to that one when it aired and just now watched it.  That's friggin' hilarious.  "Wrong shelter, Sarah. . . .  Also, that's a wolf."   :lol

I'm begging Patriot and Brady fans to stop pissing and moaning about the defensive holding

Well...good thing I'm a Broncos fan.  That was a fucking awful call.  The game was well-officiated to that point, and for whichever official dropped the flag to take it upon himself to end the game for something so ticky tacky was utterly unacceptable.

it's the EXACT SAME call that gave Brady and the Bucs the NFC Championship 2 years ago. Remember?

Nope.  Don't remember at all.  Nor do I give the tiniest little fuck.  Why do people continue to insist that, just because something worse or the same happened in the past, it's ok now?

It may sound crazy....

The reality is that the Eagles outplayed the Chiefs in the first half.  But for Hurts's fumble, the halftime lead probably would have been more than 20.  However, the Chiefs figured it out big time and more than outplayed the Eagles in the second half.  In particular, the Chiefs offensive line had its way with the Eagles pass rush - and Hassan Reddick in particular was a total non-factor.

Missed this when you first posted it.....man.....I disagree wholeheartedly. Extremely boring.

I put the TV on mute when halftime started, and my son and I went into the kitchen to finish up the ribeyes we had bought.  I sat down right as they were kicking off the ball for the third quarter.  Perfect timing.  Last time I saw ANY portion of a halftime show was Katy Perry and her sharks for Owl #49.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2992 on: February 13, 2023, 04:42:21 PM »
I put something else on during the halftime performance.  I don't usually enjoy them so I thought I'd not give myself something to complain about. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2993 on: February 13, 2023, 05:29:21 PM »
Mahomes is the future. He's the best QB of his era and might beat Brady's record someday. If he can stay healthy.   

I wonder if he runs less because he can be injured with tackling. If not, he's on his way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2994 on: February 13, 2023, 05:43:36 PM »
And KC is coming back down to earth, BTW.

Worst take ever.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2995 on: February 13, 2023, 05:54:15 PM »
And KC is coming back down to earth, BTW.

Worst take ever.  :lol

For that day.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2996 on: February 13, 2023, 06:06:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2997 on: February 13, 2023, 07:05:12 PM »
To be fair, I think most thought the Chiefs would pull back to the pack.  They had lost Tyreek Hill and had turned over a lot of their roster, but a lot of the rookies played well and Mahomes proved that he can kick ass no matter who his RBs and WRs are.  It's notable that not a single RB or WR who played for the Chiefs last night played in the Super Bowl against the 49ers three years ago.  This just adds to the legend of Mahomes.  He lost his All-Pro future Hall of Fame WR and still went on to win the regular season MVP and win the Super Bowl.  It's scary how good he is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2998 on: February 14, 2023, 06:38:28 AM »
That was a fucking awful call.  The game was well-officiated to that point, and for whichever official dropped the flag to take it upon himself to end the game for something so ticky tacky was utterly unacceptable.
To be fair, the game was well-PLAYED to that point.  There weren't a ton of penalties, dumb or otherwise, committed in this game, which is one reason the game was so good.

But THAT guy committed a penalty, and got called for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2999 on: February 14, 2023, 06:38:53 AM »

There are enough people fawning over St. Patrick, he doesn't need me.  He played a solid, MVP-worthy game (see what PG said).  I don't have to participate in the bone-numbing hyperbole to give him his props.   It takes nothing away from Mahomes to say what I did.  Hurts was a bigger part of his offense than Mahomes was of his, which is why I said what I said (and am not backing off it). PG conveniently left off the three rushing TDs (most for a QB in a Superbowl, tied for most for a player), as well as the 4th down conversions. 

I'm at a complete loss.  I can't for the LIFE of me understand why simply saying he's a great player isn't enough. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:44:05 AM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3000 on: February 14, 2023, 06:41:00 AM »
Keep winning rings throughout a 20+ year career?

I won't speak for Stadler, and I don't know as we're even on the same side of this. For my part I do think he's great, and I think he's one of the greats. I just don't think he's quite earned the standing he's got right now. I'm not ready to put him on the Rushmore yet, even if he may well get there someday. If he is the legend that people make him out to be he'll get there eventually anyway.

This is exactly my position.  He IS great.  For some people, though, that's just not enough, and I'm not playing that hyperbole game. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3001 on: February 14, 2023, 06:42:20 AM »
It seems clear to me that he's the best player right now, and his accomplishments to this point rank him AMONG the best starts to a career of all time.  If his trajectory continues this way, he will wind up in the discussion for GOAT, which is basically just a matter of opinion anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: February 14, 2023, 06:44:43 AM »
It seems clear to me that he's the best player right now, and his accomplishments to this point rank him AMONG the best starts to a career of all time.  If his trajectory continues this way, he will wind up in the discussion for GOAT, which is basically just a matter of opinion anyway.

Perfect.   Tell that to Dream Team, who's already measured out and bought the yellow coat. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3003 on: February 14, 2023, 06:45:04 AM »

Perfect.   Tell that to Dream Team, who's already measured out and bought the yellow coat.
I have.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3004 on: February 14, 2023, 06:45:38 AM »
Speaking of yellow coats, it was cool seeing the reactions of HOF inductees getting informed they made it by current HOF members.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3005 on: February 14, 2023, 07:03:21 AM »

There are enough people fawning over St. Patrick, he doesn't need me.  He played a solid, MVP-worthy game (see what PG said).  I don't have to participate in the bone-numbing hyperbole to give him his props.   It takes nothing away from Mahomes to say what I did.  Hurts was a bigger part of his offense than Mahomes was of his, which is why I said what I said (and am not backing off it). PG conveniently left off the three rushing TDs (most for a QB in a Superbowl, tied for most for a player), as well as the 4th down conversions. 

I'm at a complete loss.  I can't for the LIFE of me understand why simply saying he's a great player isn't enough.

The thing is this: Mahomes was perfect. Hurts was far from it.  Hurts had a catastrophic fumble that was scooped up for a touchdown. He also threw several balls that could have easily been picked. Switch which team the QBs are on, and you have the Eagles winning by double digits.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: February 14, 2023, 07:11:26 AM »

This. Incredible player BUT the longevity has to be there and the 'eye test' says it will but you have to just wait and see. That is/was my beef with folks throwing around all the praise and accolades to MLB players like Machado, Tatis Jr, Soto......sure, they've had a good couple seasons here and there but that's it. IF they're around in a decade and have stayed consistent in producing in that manner THEN they'd be worthy of the incessant amount of praise they receive.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3007 on: February 14, 2023, 07:17:39 AM »
On Mahomes, I think a players needs 10+ years in the league before you can start measuring him against the all-time greats. He is on a trajectory to be amongst the top 5 QBS of all time, but it's too soon to crown him since he's only been in the league, for what, 5 years? Even if he falls back to earth and puts up only average numbers for the next 7-10 years before retiring, just winning 2 Super Bowls puts him in a rare group of top QBs

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3008 on: February 14, 2023, 07:23:41 AM »

This. Incredible player BUT the longevity has to be there and the 'eye test' says it will but you have to just wait and see. That is/was my beef with folks throwing around all the praise and accolades to MLB players like Machado, Tatis Jr, Soto......sure, they've had a good couple seasons here and there but that's it. IF they're around in a decade and have stayed consistent in producing in that manner THEN they'd be worthy of the incessant amount of praise they receive.

I'm calling it. Skeever at the Dream Theater forum says Mahomes is a top 10 QB of all time. Right now. No "if" or "when" involved.

QBs who are definitely ahead of him:
-Peyton Manning
-Aaron Rodgers
-Tom Brady
-Drew Brees
-Joe Montana

Everyone else - and I don't care if they've got double the passing yards or 20 years in the league - is highly, highly debatable.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3009 on: February 14, 2023, 07:44:30 AM »

I'm calling it. Skeever at the Dream Theater forum says Mahomes is a top 10 QB of all time. Right now. No "if" or "when" involved.

QBs who are definitely ahead of him:
-Peyton Manning
-Aaron Rodgers
-Tom Brady
-Drew Brees
-Joe Montana

Everyone else - and I don't care if they've got double the passing yards or 20 years in the league - is highly, highly debatable.

Johnny Unitas and John Elway should be in that list as well. Possibly Dan Marino and Brett Favre, too.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask