Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100265 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)
« on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
Let's start the new one.

Tyreek Hill getting traded to the Dolphins.

And away we go!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 06:26:10 AM by KevShmev »

Offline T-ski

Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
Let's start the new one.

Tyreek Hill getting traded to the Dolphins.

And away we go!!

Well poop, I just put this in the other thread.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
Not a fan.  Of course, now we're starting to move into the next era of Mahomes, and we're going to start seeing if his deal is as real as some claimed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 11:24:15 AM »
Was Hill looking to leave KC?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
This is still my favorite moment of the Bucs SB win

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 11:44:25 AM »
Not a fan.  Of course, now we're starting to move into the next era of Mahomes, and we're going to start seeing if his deal is as real as some claimed.
This. It'll be interesting to see how he does. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »
Was Hill looking to leave KC?

From what I read, yes.  He requested a trade. Kev told me for money. Asking a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
Sounds like Hill wanted crazy money once he saw what D Adams got from the Raiders, and once the Chiefs realized they couldn't pay him what he wanted, they allowed him to seek a trade, and there we have it.  I am just happy to have that guy and his scary speed out of the AFC West.

And it feels like the Chiefs will go down as another would-be dynasty.  It is hard to see them being as good or better right away, and despite all of their fireworks of the last four years, they only got one Super Bowl win out of it. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 12:37:00 PM »
I am just happy to have that guy and his scary speed out of the AFC West.

:sadpanda:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 12:57:27 PM »
For what Miami gave, which is basically an entire draft, I'm glad the Jets didn't get him. That's a "we're one piece away" trade, which is not the Jets (or the Dolphins, for that matter).

Wilson + Hill could have been an electrifying combo, though. With a QB like Tua not sure how much it'll even make a difference.

Hadn't been keeping tabs on the old thread, but plenty of interesting moves being made all around. Quite the offseason this has been so far.

Who's gonna start in Seattle? Geno???

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »

And how good Hill does with an 'average' QB in lieu of a higher tier one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

Hill should give a portion of that contract to Mahomes as a thank-you.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 01:08:59 PM »

Not to mention playing in a defensively tougher division. The Patriots learned how to minimize him 3 years ago, and Buffalo has contained him whenever they've played. I think he's gonna miss playing SD and Oakland twice a year.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
He is a gonna miss Andy Reid as much as Mahomes, as Reid is a terrific play designer and play caller, and who knows if the Dolphins will have someone who will be able to scheme plays to where Hill is open as offense as he was in KC.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »
So the Fins made some decent moves but they still have Tua as their QB.  :(

Offline T-ski

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 01:23:34 PM »
For what Miami gave, which is basically an entire draft, I'm glad the Jets didn't get him. That's a "we're one piece away" trade, which is not the Jets (or the Dolphins, for that matter).

Wilson + Hill could have been an electrifying combo, though. With a QB like Tua not sure how much it'll even make a difference.

Hadn't been keeping tabs on the old thread, but plenty of interesting moves being made all around. Quite the offseason this has been so far.

Who's gonna start in Seattle? Geno???

Miami currently has two first round picks in next years draft, if they want they recoup picks in this draft they certainly can.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »
As per Ben Volin, the Pats have re signed Malcolm Butler.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 02:43:23 PM »
I wonder why. I would have bet good money on him telling Bill to fuck off after that whole superb owl thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
Honestly, I think Malcolm Butler is kind of a psycho. I don't understand this move at all. He must need the money bad. Of course there's no way he sees all $9m of this. I'd be surprised if he saw half of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 03:02:46 PM »
I wonder why. I would have bet good money on him telling Bill to fuck off after that whole superb owl thing.

Yeah, the big secret. I wonder if we will ever know?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »
Does anyone have a breif summery about what's going on with Baker Mayfield? I thought the browns were happy with him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 06:24:55 PM »
Does anyone have a breif summery about what's going on with Baker Mayfield? I thought the browns were happy with him.

Mayfield isn't that good and doesn't act like an adult.

The Brown looked to upgrade and did so.

That is the shortest way I can put it. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 06:46:20 AM »
That's all I needed :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2022, 07:45:52 AM »
It is sad that most players are in it for the money and not championships. That much money to Hill from the Fins is stupid for both parties. For one, Miami DOESN'T THROW THE BALL DOWNFIELD. So Hill is reduced to end-arounds to take advantage of his speed. LOL

For those who think this is somehow Mahomes' demise, you might want to look up his stats for games in which Hill has been out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2022, 08:11:53 AM »
One of the benefits of having Hill in KC was that he scared the bejeezus out of opposing Ds. He forced a significant change in the secondary that Mahomes and Reid were able to exploit. Their offense simply cannot be as good as it was without that terror factor. At the same time Miami now has a scarry-fast target in the secondary, but I don't see the rest of them really being able to exploit other teams because of it. In KC you had to strike a balance between disrupting Hill and still defending against Mahomes et al. In Miami you do whatever it takes to lock Hill down because nobody else scares you.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
It is sad that most players are in it for the money and not championships.
Well, they are ALL professional football players, but most won't win championships.

They SHOULD be in it for the money.  They have to put food on the table and a roof over the heads of their families.  But there are 32 teams in the league, and if their only goal is championships, then each year, in this whole profession, there is only one success and 31 failures, and that's ridiculous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »
Well, they are ALL professional football players, but most won't win championships.

They SHOULD be in it for the money.  They have to put food on the table and a roof over the heads of their families.  But there are 32 teams in the league, and if their only goal is championships, then each year, in this whole profession, there is only one success and 31 failures, and that's ridiculous.

I agree. But in the case of deciding between 75 million and 100 million, wouldn't having a chance to compete for a trophy be a deciding factor?

Since I'm sure no one will bother to look it up, in games without Hill Mahomes has averaged 363 yards per game, a 109 passer rating and thrown 8 TDs with no picks. I'm sure he'll be in the soup line soon.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2022, 08:34:35 AM »
Everyone's goal is championships.  Why do you think they play the game?  They already got the money.  Even the lowest paid NFL player has plenty of money to put food on the table...please.  We all know that not everyone can win, but that doesn't mean it isn't their goal.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2022, 08:51:17 AM »

Where I disagree is that very few of these people are trying to keep a roof over their head. While disappointed by his departure, I said I couldn't blame Jakob Johnson for leaving NE. He's a bubble player in a position that's not hugely valued. Going from 850k to 1.5 million is huge to him and his. The players we tend to talk about aren't in that category, though. Their goal isn't to provide for their family, but rather to make more than some other guy. As DT said, given the choice between 75 million and a ring or 100 million and mediocrity, I don't want the 100m guy on my team. He's not in it for the right reason. From what I can tell Hill refused an 80 million offer from a perennial contender, after he'd already played most of a 54m contract, to play for a highly unstable organization. It's a shame for KC, but if that's his attitude they're probably better off doubling their draft stock and moving on.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2022, 09:13:56 AM »
Everyone's goal is championships.  Why do you think they play the game?  They already got the money.  Even the lowest paid NFL player has plenty of money to put food on the table...please.  We all know that not everyone can win, but that doesn't mean it isn't their goal.

Yeah, I don't think that's really it.  Having played sports most of my life, I firmly believe that there are some people that are just never going to be able to win on their own.   I don't know what the exact term would be, but it's one thing to run fast, or catch a football.  It's another thing entirely to be able to in real time determine what will be necessary to win in that moment against another very good team that wants to win as bad as we do.

I love Mike Mussina (baseball pitcher), and he has something like four ONE-hitters; he's come within ONE PITCH of a perfect game, and within two outs of a perfect game two other times.  To me, as much as I love him, he's a Hall Of Famer, but that tells me there is a lack of killer instinct there.  Sport, performance, is not a "black" and "white" or "good"/"bad" exercise.  There are degrees.   

Some of the guys going for the money might as well; they're never going to get the alternative, unless they can latch onto a team like the Pats or the Rams or the Bucs, who have a legit shot to win a champeenship.  Other guys - the Brady's of the world - can instantly MAKE a team a champeenship team, and so it makes a little more sense  for them to balance the money.  Tom Brady is not going to ever be known for the money he made, he will be known for the championships he has won.  I fear that Deshaun Watson will never be known for the championships he won, but for the size of his salary (assuming that his off-the-field antics aren't his defining moment).  Same with Aaron Rodgers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2022, 09:21:17 AM »
Since I'm sure no one will bother to look it up, in games without Hill Mahomes has averaged 363 yards per game, a 109 passer rating and thrown 8 TDs with no picks. I'm sure he'll be in the soup line soon.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not looking it up for the same reason El Barto said.   He's gone now.  Just like in the stock market, past performance is no indicator of future performance.   We're already seeing the rest of the league catching up to the Chiefs, and now that defenses don't have to scheme for the POSSIBILITY of Tyreek, it is not sufficient to look at a scenario that doesn't exist any longer as a blue print for the future. 

And I'm not saying he's GOING to "be on the soup line", just that it's going to be interesting to see how he responds.  I actually hope he does, because I despise Tyreek Hill, and would be pleased to see Patrick Mahomes achieve previous levels of success without him.  I'm just not willing to annoint him without playing the games.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
Yeah, I doubt anyone thinks Mahomes is going to fall of a cliff now, although his prolonged midseason slump and then the way he melted down in the AFCCG does make me question if he was already tailing off a little bit, but he could simply end up being another very good QB rather than being one who put up crazy numbers due to having the fastest WR ever (and the best TE in the game).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »

Yeah, I don't think that's really it.  Having played sports most of my life, I firmly believe that there are some people that are just never going to be able to win on their own.   I don't know what the exact term would be, but it's one thing to run fast, or catch a football.  It's another thing entirely to be able to in real time determine what will be necessary to win in that moment against another very good team that wants to win as bad as we do.

I love Mike Mussina (baseball pitcher), and he has something like four ONE-hitters; he's come within ONE PITCH of a perfect game, and within two outs of a perfect game two other times.  To me, as much as I love him, he's a Hall Of Famer, but that tells me there is a lack of killer instinct there.  Sport, performance, is not a "black" and "white" or "good"/"bad" exercise.  There are degrees.   

Some of the guys going for the money might as well; they're never going to get the alternative, unless they can latch onto a team like the Pats or the Rams or the Bucs, who have a legit shot to win a champeenship.  Other guys - the Brady's of the world - can instantly MAKE a team a champeenship team, and so it makes a little more sense  for them to balance the money.  Tom Brady is not going to ever be known for the money he made, he will be known for the championships he has won.  I fear that Deshaun Watson will never be known for the championships he won, but for the size of his salary (assuming that his off-the-field antics aren't his defining moment).  Same with Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah, I get it.  But my point was basically that NFL players aren't hurting for money unless they're living beyond their means; buying private jets and mansions with 10 car garages.  Any NFL player good enough to get a multi-million dollar deal is already in contention (even if they never see a championship in their career).  In other words, if a player wants to be good enough to get a championship, the money will always be there to a certain degree.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2022, 10:38:29 AM »

Yeah, I get it.  But my point was basically that NFL players aren't hurting for money unless they're living beyond their means; buying private jets and mansions with 10 car garages.  Any NFL player good enough to get a multi-million dollar deal is already in contention (even if they never see a championship in their career).  In other words, if a player wants to be good enough to get a championship, the money will always be there to a certain degree.
Most of them aren't hurting, but at that level there's certainly a desire to make sure your kids are well taken care of. Lower tier players might be making a million or two a year, which sounds huge to most of us, but after taxes that doesn't necessarily mean good schools for your kids. Not to mention that any player could be a play away from forced retirement. I'm not sympathetic to someone like Tyreek Hill, who's now made upwards of 110m, but there are plenty of players that need to be making the most they can and I don't fault them for that. To me it comes down to whether or not you're motivated by necessity or ego.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2022, 10:53:53 AM »

Dubla, I hear you and I'm not arguing with you, but I will point out that many players DO live beyond their means, and while some players have long, productive careers, most only last a couple seasons or so.  A "million dollars a year!" sounds like a lot, but when that's ALL you make over your career, not so much.