Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102993 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Eagles/Chiefs Super Bowl)
« Reply #2800 on: January 31, 2023, 10:42:17 AM »
Yeah, that's it.

But hey, on one hand, you have Jalen Hurts saying that John 13:7 could maybe be a reference to him if looked at in the right light. On the other hand, you've got Patrick Mahomes crediting God for "healing him" in time for the AFC Championship game. Gonna be a great one, figuring out which NFL QB the Abrahamic God REALLY supports on Super Bowl Sunday.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2801 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:01 AM »
Yeah, that's it.

But hey, on one hand, you have Jalen Hurts saying that John 13:7 could maybe be a reference to him if looked at in the right light. On the other hand, you've got Patrick Mahomes crediting God for "healing him" in time for the AFC Championship game. Gonna be a great one, figuring out which NFL QB the Abrahamic God REALLY supports on Super Bowl Sunday.

He sure as fuck isn't a Niner fan  :rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2802 on: January 31, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »
A guy who has on several occasions quoted John 13:7 in reference to himself is definitely not the picture of "humility" that comes to my mind.

I'm not really interested in people's religious beliefs.  Personally, I'd rather players not mention the bible or God at all.  I'm talking about his demeanor in press conferences and interviews related to sportsmanship and the relationship he has with the team.  Humility in this context means he doesn't feel the need to boast about how good his team is.

Well, don't look at the religiosity of it; the statement in "John 13:7" implies that the speaker is doing something otherworldly and beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.  He's throwing a fucking football.  Running it.  Jalen Hurts is very good, but he's not transformative.   He wins, I'll give him that, but this is really his first full time through.  He's got a solid defense, and good skill position players.  Yet again, let's let him earn his accolades.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about.  Do me a favor will ya?  Next time you feel the urge to quote me, don't.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2803 on: January 31, 2023, 11:09:10 AM »
 :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2804 on: January 31, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Tyler Huntley makes the Pro Bowl when Allen backed out. Tyler threw 2 TD's all year.  :facepalm:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: January 31, 2023, 11:28:49 AM »
Tyler Huntley makes the Pro Bowl when Allen backed out. Tyler threw 2 TD's all year.  :facepalm:

With a defense that ended up 3rd in fewest points allowed, and a Pro Bowl QB, my Ravens should have gone further in the playoffs. :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2806 on: January 31, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2807 on: January 31, 2023, 12:36:24 PM »
So the refs are ass-clowns because they missed something 10' away when they had a band angle, and Shanahan is an ass-clown because he didn't challenge something that happened 30 yards away, from the same bad angle?

Also, now that you mentioned it, if I'm some clever bastard head coach always looking for ways to gain an advantage, I'm training my players to only haul ass to get the play off if they're certain it's a catch. I'm looking to make some lesser coach burn a challenge/timeout for no damn reason so I can laugh at him from the other side of the field.  :lol

Hey Bill!  Good to have you here!   :) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: January 31, 2023, 12:42:50 PM »
A guy who has on several occasions quoted John 13:7 in reference to himself is definitely not the picture of "humility" that comes to my mind.

I'm not really interested in people's religious beliefs.  Personally, I'd rather players not mention the bible or God at all.  I'm talking about his demeanor in press conferences and interviews related to sportsmanship and the relationship he has with the team.  Humility in this context means he doesn't feel the need to boast about how good his team is.

Well, don't look at the religiosity of it; the statement in "John 13:7" implies that the speaker is doing something otherworldly and beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.  He's throwing a fucking football.  Running it.  Jalen Hurts is very good, but he's not transformative.   He wins, I'll give him that, but this is really his first full time through.  He's got a solid defense, and good skill position players.  Yet again, let's let him earn his accolades.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about.  Do me a favor will ya?  Next time you feel the urge to quote me, don't.

It has everything to do with what we're talking about.  Whether it was a religious reference or not is immaterial; he - Hurts - said it.  It was anything but humble.   

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2809 on: January 31, 2023, 02:47:01 PM »
I'm the one who brought it up.  What I originally said had nothing to do with religion.  It was taken out of context and I clarified.  Then you took it out of context again.  Stop twisting my words around to fit your own fucking narrative.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2810 on: January 31, 2023, 03:28:20 PM »
I'm the one who brought it up.  What I originally said had nothing to do with religion.  It was taken out of context and I clarified.  Then you took it out of context again.  Stop twisting my words around to fit your own fucking narrative.

You don't hang around P&R much, do you?  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: January 31, 2023, 03:29:34 PM »

You don't hang around P&R much, do you?  :lol

Wow. Really?  It was a fair comment to what was a pretty chill conversation.  I don't feel like I have anything to apologize for.  I certainly wasn't pushing any "narrative", fucking or otherwise.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2812 on: January 31, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »
I was not clear enough.  An announcer says its a great catch so it influences the coaching staff in the box?  No coach would be influenced by the announcers.  The just didn't have the time to see different angles. You're not silly, the talking heads saying that are.

I think you're missing the chain of communication. It's the coach, listening to the coordinator in the box, who is watching the broadcast (among other things). There are many examples of where the broadcast team have a clearer picture (and, perhaps, theoretically, more objective perspective) than the coach on the sidelines. I don't think the coach makes that decision 100% based on the broadcast booth, obviously, but if the coach can and does get that information from the box over air while watching the game, he'd be foolish not to consider it.

In this case, though, again I think you have to give credit to Philly for getting a play off so fast. Suppose the broadcast DID show the other angle, right away? Had they shown the other angle before Philly got their play off, guarantee you see that red flag hit the turf.

From the account we have of what happened, Kyle was looking at the review on the jumbotron, and that angle didn't show anything.  He was about to throw the flag just in case, and the coordinator in the booth said they couldn't see anything showing it wasn't a catch, so he didn't throw it.  Philly quickly got the play off, and THEN they found the other view that showed it not being a catch.  It all happened very quickly in real time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2813 on: January 31, 2023, 06:51:44 PM »
Non-controversial commentary!

I really do feel bad for the Niners players and their fans. Such a great, complete team but constantly snakebit by QB injuries. But Kyle Shanahan can get bent; may he be forever cursed to get close but never get a ring as penance for the 28-3 debacle.

To touch on this, when you think about it, I don't think the 49ers were snakebit by the injuries Sunday.  It is easy to say, "It's a different game if Purdy, or even Johnson, doesn't get hurt," but it's not like those guys tripped over their own feet and got hurt; the Eagles defense knocked both quarterbacks out of the game. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2814 on: January 31, 2023, 07:34:46 PM »
I was not clear enough.  An announcer says its a great catch so it influences the coaching staff in the box?  No coach would be influenced by the announcers.  The just didn't have the time to see different angles. You're not silly, the talking heads saying that are.

I think you're missing the chain of communication. It's the coach, listening to the coordinator in the box, who is watching the broadcast (among other things). There are many examples of where the broadcast team have a clearer picture (and, perhaps, theoretically, more objective perspective) than the coach on the sidelines. I don't think the coach makes that decision 100% based on the broadcast booth, obviously, but if the coach can and does get that information from the box over air while watching the game, he'd be foolish not to consider it.

In this case, though, again I think you have to give credit to Philly for getting a play off so fast. Suppose the broadcast DID show the other angle, right away? Had they shown the other angle before Philly got their play off, guarantee you see that red flag hit the turf.

From the account we have of what happened, Kyle was looking at the review on the jumbotron, and that angle didn't show anything.  He was about to throw the flag just in case, and the coordinator in the booth said they couldn't see anything showing it wasn't a catch, so he didn't throw it.  Philly quickly got the play off, and THEN they found the other view that showed it not being a catch.  It all happened very quickly in real time.

Might have been a situation to burn a timeout?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2815 on: January 31, 2023, 08:39:30 PM »
Sean Payton to the Broncos is a done deal.

I have never hidden that I think he is overrated, but he is still a massive upgrade over the idiot they had this past season.  They had to make this move, as they are tied to Russell Wilson for years, so might as well bring in a proven QB guru to get the most of their QB.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2816 on: February 01, 2023, 06:29:20 AM »
Brady retires…..again.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2817 on: February 01, 2023, 06:43:06 AM »
Brady retires…..again.

Hopefully that squashes the TB to the Niners chat that's taken over the local talk radio

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2818 on: February 01, 2023, 07:04:48 AM »
In that video he looked like he's done for good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2819 on: February 01, 2023, 07:22:00 AM »
Now we can enjoy the real GOAT (Mahomes) without the fake GOAT (Brady) clinging to football life. ;)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2820 on: February 01, 2023, 07:46:38 AM »
Guess he just wanted out of his marriage.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2821 on: February 01, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2822 on: February 01, 2023, 08:16:54 AM »
That's hella fucked up  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2823 on: February 01, 2023, 08:17:09 AM »
Clearly
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2824 on: February 01, 2023, 09:29:14 AM »
Congrats to Tom for a one-of-a-kind AMAZING career!! Hope he does a good job in the booth, he should be able to provide great analysis.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2825 on: February 01, 2023, 09:48:03 AM »

I have never hidden that I think he is overrated, but he is still a massive upgrade over the idiot they had this past season.  They had to make this move, as they are tied to Russell Wilson for years, so might as well bring in a proven QB guru to get the most of their QB.

I can be excited again...until about week 4 or 5.....

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: February 01, 2023, 10:16:48 AM »
Clearly

Or she did. It could certainly go either way.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall of that.  Maybe it's me, but short of something really extraordinary (meaning, NOT something that either party has done for the last 13 years) I can't imagine there's ANYTHING that someone can't swallow for eight months.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2827 on: February 01, 2023, 10:58:55 AM »

I have mixed feelings, but the guy had a .631 winning percentage, finished first in the division in 9 of 15 seasons, and only had 4 losing seasons.  Obviously, it's hard to know how much was him and how much was Drew Brees, but it's a pretty clear upgrade from what the Broncos have had lately.

The one thing I really don't like is giving up ANOTHER first round draft pick to get him.

Now we can enjoy the real GOAT (Mahomes) without the fake GOAT (Brady) clinging to football life. ;)

And, in a couple weeks, both of them will have Super Bowl losses to the Eagles on their resumes!  :laugh:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2828 on: February 01, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
The worst part of TB's second retirement is that we have to go through yet another tribute where everything on every sports channel is how great he was. Didn't we do this last year about this time?  :tdwn

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: February 01, 2023, 11:25:47 AM »
Can't believe I have to root one way or the other for an Eagles association (Reid or the actual team).  What's this world coming to? 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2830 on: February 01, 2023, 11:32:30 AM »
As a diehard fan of Michigan football, I watched Brady before the rest of the world. I would never have predicted he would rise to such heights. He seemed slow and average in every in every aspect. I wish him well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: February 01, 2023, 11:34:28 AM »
Did he sign one of those one-day contracts with the Pats?  Do they still do that sort of thing anymore?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2832 on: February 01, 2023, 12:09:52 PM »
Did he sign one of those one-day contracts with the Pats?  Do they still do that sort of thing anymore?

Not yet....but you know it's coming. But for him....it'll probably have to be a 'one more play' contract where he gets to take an in game snap.....the NFL gets involved and it's scripted to where it's a TD pass to win the game or something like that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2833 on: February 01, 2023, 12:17:23 PM »

I have mixed feelings, but the guy had a .631 winning percentage, finished first in the division in 9 of 15 seasons, and only had 4 losing seasons.  Obviously, it's hard to know how much was him and how much was Drew Brees, but it's a pretty clear upgrade from what the Broncos have had lately.

The one thing I really don't like is giving up ANOTHER first round draft pick to get him.

It's not an early 1st rounder, though, so I am good with it.  The Broncos needed a proven commodity to come in and fix Wilson, and Payton was the best possible option.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2834 on: February 01, 2023, 12:34:44 PM »

Not yet....but you know it's coming. But for him....it'll probably have to be a 'one more play' contract where he gets to take an in game snap.....the NFL gets involved and it's scripted to where it's a TD pass to win the game or something like that.

Maybe 2 plays. An opposing player gives him a handshake, gets an unnecessary roughness penalty and then the TD.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history