Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 104099 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #560 on: August 31, 2022, 06:25:38 AM »
I am curious to see how much football I watch this year now that I have retired from playing fantasy football.  I have said for years that the product had gotten worse and that FF was the main reason I still watched so much, and I guess now I will find out for sure.

You retired from FF?

Yep.  It had gotten less fun in recent years, so I called it quits.  I still have a handful of people asking me almost every day if I am ready to do a draft and I keep reiterating, "No, I am retired."  Most think I will eventually cave and do a draft or two.  I will not.  Zero interest.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #561 on: August 31, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
I'm actually in 2 FF leagues this year for the first time ever.  Had the second draft last night.

I finished second in a league last year.  Nice little payout.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #562 on: August 31, 2022, 08:16:19 AM »
I am curious to see how much football I watch this year now that I have retired from playing fantasy football.  I have said for years that the product had gotten worse and that FF was the main reason I still watched so much, and I guess now I will find out for sure.

You retired from FF?

Yep.  It had gotten less fun in recent years, so I called it quits.  I still have a handful of people asking me almost every day if I am ready to do a draft and I keep reiterating, "No, I am retired."  Most think I will eventually cave and do a draft or two.  I will not.  Zero interest.

Over the years, I've played both fantasy football and baseball. I had fun.  I can't imagine playing now; it seems to have turned into such a business that from what I've seen, the fun has gotten sucked out of it.   I like the Pick'em we do here, and will do that if we continue, but that's the extent of my involvement.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #563 on: August 31, 2022, 08:23:50 AM »
I found that I liked football more once I quit FF simply for the sake of watching good games. I stopped watching a game just to watch the running back and started watching whatever looked good. Big improvement. It also helps if you've got one team you always want to watch. Don't know if you're like that with Denver or not. I'll watch the Patriots game, whatever the best of the other Sunday game is, and maybe the PM games if they don't suck.

And seriously, I don't miss FF in the slightest. Once I realized how flawed the whole thing was I quit and never looked back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #564 on: August 31, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
I found that I liked football more once I quit FF simply for the sake of watching good games. I stopped watching a game just to watch the running back and started watching whatever looked good. Big improvement. It also helps if you've got one team you always want to watch. Don't know if you're like that with Denver or not. I'll watch the Patriots game, whatever the best of the other Sunday game is, and maybe the PM games if they don't suck.

And seriously, I don't miss FF in the slightest. Once I realized how flawed the whole thing was I quit and never looked back.

That's how I am. I'll watch the Jets game (which usually sucks), maaaaybe the PM games, but often I'll skip those just to be refreshed for what's usually a good SNF matchup. And then Monday and Thursdays.

I find I really enjoy the game itself, and the "plotlines" of each season. As a Jets fan, I know better than to get too invested in my time, so instead I take more of a "macro" interest in the league. Once I set my lineups, I don't even look at my Fantasy app until Monday, most times.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: August 31, 2022, 09:11:41 AM »

That's how I am. I'll watch the Jets game (which usually sucks), maaaaybe the PM games, but often I'll skip those just to be refreshed for what's usually a good SNF matchup. And then Monday and Thursdays.

I find I really enjoy the game itself, and the "plotlines" of each season. As a Jets fan, I know better than to get too invested in my time, so instead I take more of a "macro" interest in the league. Once I set my lineups, I don't even look at my Fantasy app until Monday, most times.

That's me.  I watch the Thursday, Sunday and Monday NIGHT games religiously, no matter who is playing.  The ONLY thing that turns me off to those games is the ridiculous uniforms on Thursdays; if it looks too much like two highlighters battling in a school bathroom I turn it off, but I will watch any team any week if on at the right time. I don't really start watching Sunday afternoon games until probably Thanksgiving or so, when it gets colder up here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #566 on: August 31, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »
Something I'm curious about. By all accounts Bryan Hoyer is crucial to the NE offense. From what I gather he was as much a quarterback coach last year as he was the backup, and seemed to be a big part of McCorkle's development. I wonder why they don't just make him the QB coach and free up the roster spot, knowing that if the need arises they could resign him as an emergency QB? He seems to be a natural fit for that role, and it'd be beneficial to both him and the team.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #567 on: August 31, 2022, 02:39:38 PM »
Well, he's still an actual capable backup when needed. Plus, they don't have anyone else. They kept the kid Zappie who they took in this year's draft. He's been getting killed in the media, but I didn't think he was that bad in the preseason games.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #568 on: August 31, 2022, 02:59:03 PM »
Well, he's still an actual capable backup when needed. Plus, they don't have anyone else. They kept the kid Zappie who they took in this year's draft. He's been getting killed in the media, but I didn't think he was that bad in the preseason games.

Hard to tell what a kid can do in 3 partial games.  I also think they can't go in for a rookie as a backup to the starter. Hoyer is a cheap backup as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #569 on: August 31, 2022, 06:06:33 PM »
FF stopped being mostly fun for me years ago, but I stuck it out because I love doing the drafts and auctions.  Once the season started is when the fun stopped, so getting through this period was the tough part and there is only eight days now till the first game, and I do not see myself caving between now and then, so the retirement will stick for this season.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2022, 07:41:55 PM »
I was retired from FF for 10+ years because all I did was watch for the stats. I realized I was missing the fun of the actual game so I just told everyone I didn’t want to do it anymore. Then last year my friends were desperate to fill out their league so I got back into it.

Won $135.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »
I quit playing once I realized that no matter how good a team I put together, it was the schedule that actually determined the winners and losers. Kinda stopped being fun after that.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2022, 08:27:51 PM »
Me following the NFL largely revolves around the Pick 'Em and the Survivor. I've never done fantasy anything.

Bronco fans (Kev?), what are your thoughts on Wilson at QB?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »

I thought he was great as soon as I saw him play as a rookie (his knack for usually playing great at the end of games jumped out at me right away), and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind.  Even last year when he missed time and then came back too early, he still had a good season.  He is a massive upgrade for the Broncos, but that division is so good that time will tell how big a difference he makes when it comes to wins and losses.

And if nothing else, I'd love to see him win a Super Bowl just to shut up the "he only won a Super Bowl because he had the Legion of Boom defense" peeps, most of whom love to overlook that the team couldn't get over .500 with that D and Marshawn Lynch until Wilson arrived.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #574 on: September 01, 2022, 07:36:57 AM »
The ONLY thing that turns me off to those games is the ridiculous uniforms on Thursdays; if it looks too much like two highlighters battling in a school bathroom I turn it off
Oh God, you and me both.  Those things are TERRIBLE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: September 01, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »
When are the cuts?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2022, 08:06:56 AM »
When are the cuts?
Not sure if you're asking about roster cuts, or if there's a joke in there that I missed. If the former they were Tuesday.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2022, 08:11:42 AM »
When are the cuts?
Not sure if you're asking about roster cuts, or if there's a joke in there that I missed. If the former they were Tuesday.

Former.  I missed that; usually there's some notice about the more attention-grabbing moves, but I saw nothing so far.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #578 on: September 01, 2022, 08:55:50 AM »
I didn't see much interesting. Cut day really isn't what it used to be, especially given how much of a checkbox event the preseason is. Most teams know pretty well what their 53 man is going to look like going in, and onboard an additional team's worth of players just so they can meet the requirement to play preseason.

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2022, 10:42:34 AM »
Just checking in to say...my Jets are still really bad. Better, but still bad.

And I know people are high on him, but I am not sold on Wilson at QB. I know he'll miss the first couple of games and Flacco will start for him, but Wilson...he needs to be better. A LOT better. QBs still win games in this league. You need a great one. And the Jets haven't had a guy who could get it done since pre-injury Chad Pennington. They won IN SPITE OF Mark Sanchez (one of the worst ever).

Here's hoping I am surprised, but I really don't see the Jets any better than 7-10 this year. And that's the high end. I really see it being more like 6-11. I would love to be totally wrong.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #580 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:22 AM »

I thought he was great as soon as I saw him play as a rookie (his knack for usually playing great at the end of games jumped out at me right away), and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind.  Even last year when he missed time and then came back too early, he still had a good season.  He is a massive upgrade for the Broncos, but that division is so good that time will tell how big a difference he makes when it comes to wins and losses.

And if nothing else, I'd love to see him win a Super Bowl just to shut up the "he only won a Super Bowl because he had the Legion of Boom defense" peeps, most of whom love to overlook that the team couldn't get over .500 with that D and Marshawn Lynch until Wilson arrived.

Well, I sure hope you really like him, after the deal he just got  :lol

Just checking in to say...my Jets are still really bad. Better, but still bad.

And I know people are high on him, but I am not sold on Wilson at QB. I know he'll miss the first couple of games and Flacco will start for him, but Wilson...he needs to be better. A LOT better. QBs still win games in this league. You need a great one. And the Jets haven't had a guy who could get it done since pre-injury Chad Pennington. They won IN SPITE OF Mark Sanchez (one of the worst ever).

Here's hoping I am surprised, but I really don't see the Jets any better than 7-10 this year. And that's the high end. I really see it being more like 6-11. I would love to be totally wrong.

Yup, Wilson is a ? at best, and it's the Bill's division to lose as far as I'm concerned.

Online faizoff

« Reply #581 on: September 01, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
There was a bunch of noise with the Bills when allegations came out against their punter being involved with a gang rape so he got booted out, I think there were a couple of WRs and DBs traded which made it interesting. Other than that I don't think there was any significant cuts.

I am curious about the process that some players get cut and don't get put on waivers and then sign back with the team the next day. Bucs did that with the new S they got from the Pats Ryan Logan. Not sure what the legalese behind it is.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #582 on: September 01, 2022, 12:09:27 PM »
There was a bunch of noise with the Bills when allegations came out against their punter being involved with a gang rape so he got booted out, I think there were a couple of WRs and DBs traded which made it interesting. Other than that I don't think there was any significant cuts.

I am curious about the process that some players get cut and don't get put on waivers and then sign back with the team the next day. Bucs did that with the new S they got from the Pats Ryan Logan. Not sure what the legalese behind it is.
I think whether or not you have to clear waivers is based on how many years you've got. Anybody that's cut and not claimed, or doesn't need to be, can be signed back or signed to the practice squad just like a FA. There are a few reasons why it happens, all somewhat technical. Sometimes you need to keep a player on your team so that you can put him on IR with the ability to return, for example. In that case you cut somebody to keep Mr. IR on the roster, and then resign the guy you cut as soon as Mr. IR gets moved over.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #583 on: September 01, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »

I think whether or not you have to clear waivers is based on how many years you've got. Anybody that's cut and not claimed, or doesn't need to be, can be signed back or signed to the practice squad just like a FA. There are a few reasons why it happens, all somewhat technical. Sometimes you need to keep a player on your team so that you can put him on IR with the ability to return, for example. In that case you cut somebody to keep Mr. IR on the roster, and then resign the guy you cut as soon as Mr. IR gets moved over.

Actually you're right, now I remember reading that they did that to put Jensen on IR.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #584 on: September 01, 2022, 04:27:30 PM »
...and the Titans' season is apparently going to start right where the last one started/stayed/ended: critical injuries to big-time (and big price-tag) players.  This time, the biggest stand-out is star EDGE Harold Landry, who tore his ACL at practice today and is out for the year.  Dude is a pressure machine, and until now he's been just about the only healthy/reliable Titan over the past couple years, playing about 90% of defensive snaps.

I realize no NFL team is ever truly 100% healthy, but the Titans sure seemed to have royally angered the football gods at some point, as they've lost multiple major players every year for several years now.  Actually smashed the record last year for most players to ever play for the same team in a single season (91 different players saw game action).

In other Titans news...

Not sure if you follow this team, but there's a pretty unique situation with their punter. 

Brett Kern has been amazing for the Titans for 13 years (since 2009).  Spectacular punter, longest-serving Titan, only the 2nd full time Titans punter since 1998, and probably the most beloved guy on the team (with his teammates, the organization, and the fan base).  The team brought in rookie Ryan Stonehouse to give Kern a little competition during camp and keep him sharp.  Kern actually had a great camp... but rather surprisingly, so did Stonehouse.  So much so, that the Titans knew that once they cut either guy, that guy was going to be snapped up by another team (most likely the Bills or Colts, who are both Titans rivals) and punting against them this season.  Well, given that Kern is (slowly) nearing the end of his career and has an "expensive" (only $2M, but definitely expensive for a punter) contract, and that Stonehouse is just starting his career and may be great for years to come, the Titans ultimately made the very painful (but probably "correct," imo) decision to release Bret Kern.  Cue tears from the fan base, heart-wrenching farewell Tweets from Kern, etc.  The end of an era.  Or so everyone thought...

So, the latest twist is that Bret Kern did NOT sign with Buffalo, nor with the Colts... the two obvious choices.  It appears that, for now at least, he is intentionally remaining unsigned, and hanging out at home in Nashville.  The talk is that he is remaining available for the Titans (possibly at their request), in case things do not go so well in actual games with the new punter.  They may still have plans together.

Not a major story, sure.  But still VERY unusual- 99% of the time the player almost immediately signs wherever is going to make the most sense for them and their family.  The fact that Kern didn't leap at the chance to punt for a SB contender (Bills) or a competitive (but hated) team in Indy is very very curious.  The fans, though, are thrilled.  We want the best for Brett- but it would have been heartbreaking to see him on the field with Buffalo or Indianapolis.  I hope he kills it for a few more years: either in Tennessee or with some other team that won't devastate Titans fans to see have success at that position.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
With a week to go until the season starts...who will be the last team to lose their "and-0" and how far into the season will it be?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: September 06, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »
Is someone running the survivor? If not, I will.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #587 on: September 06, 2022, 04:13:44 PM »
Go for it CC.  We'll see if I can last longer than 2 fucking weeks this year.  :lol :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #588 on: September 07, 2022, 08:31:28 AM »
BREAKING:

New York Jets eliminated from the playoffs.

:facepalm: :tdwn :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #589 on: September 07, 2022, 08:33:30 AM »
BREAKING:

New York Jets eliminated from the playoffs.

:facepalm: :tdwn :lol
:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: September 07, 2022, 10:19:28 AM »
So, not counting this week's game, are Thursday Night football games NOT on TV?? You have to have Amazon Prime to watch?? Is this true?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: September 07, 2022, 10:23:59 AM »
So, not counting this week's game, are Thursday Night football games NOT on TV?? You have to have Amazon Prime to watch?? Is this true?

Yup.  Not lets say if the Pats are on, locally, you will still be able to watch it because it will be also on local TV but for games when other teams are playing, you need that streaming service.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: September 07, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »

Yup.  Not lets say if the Pats are on, locally, you will still be able to watch it because it will be also on local TV but for games when other teams are playing, you need that streaming service.

So it's basically on channel WTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #593 on: September 07, 2022, 10:33:31 AM »

So it's basically on channel WTF.
You kids need to move out of the stone age.  :biggrin:
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: September 07, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
I have it.  I'll text you the scores.   :lol

El Barto.   :lol