Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100495 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #735 on: September 15, 2022, 08:33:26 AM »
Justin Herbert is getting the Mahomes treatment already even though he has yet to make the playoffs and still has a losing record as a starter.  At least Mahomes has been the MVP, won a Super Bowl and mostly been a terrific playoff performer.  I agree that Herbert looks fantastic, but can he maybe make a playoff game or *gasp" win one before we crown him?

Whew, sorry, that was my inner Stadler. :P :P

Nobody is crowning Herbert yet.  We're just acknowledging his incredible athleticism and the potential for his success as a Charger.  It was the same with Mahomes before he did everything we thought he could do.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: September 15, 2022, 08:35:42 AM »
Justin Herbert is getting the Mahomes treatment already even though he has yet to make the playoffs and still has a losing record as a starter.  At least Mahomes has been the MVP, won a Super Bowl and mostly been a terrific playoff performer.  I agree that Herbert looks fantastic, but can he maybe make a playoff game or *gasp" win one before we crown him?

Nobody is crowning Herbert yet.  We're just acknowledging his incredible athleticism and the potential for his success as a Charger.  It was the same with Mahomes before he did everything we thought he could do, once.

Corrected for accuracy.  ;) :) :) :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #737 on: September 15, 2022, 06:17:07 PM »
Championships are a TEAM accomplishment, they are far from the only way to measure how good someone is in ANY team sport - and you know this. How would Brady do one-on-one vs Herbert, Allen, or Mahomes?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #738 on: September 15, 2022, 06:47:01 PM »
Brady is a leader. How many examples do you need to hear veterans talk about his example?  I'll help you. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/james-harrison-wanted-hate-tom-brady-when-joined-patriots
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #739 on: September 15, 2022, 06:55:20 PM »
Watching a game on my fucking computer sucks.

Wait...Asante Samuels is still playing??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: September 15, 2022, 07:01:24 PM »

If you weren't a curmudgeon,  you'd watch it on TV you old fuck.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline faizoff

« Reply #741 on: September 15, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »

Get one of these Fire TV Stick and plug into your TV, sign into your amazon account and boom NFL on TV.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: September 15, 2022, 07:09:20 PM »
I'm not paying $25 for that. I need that to watch on TV?

If you weren't a curmudgeon,  you'd watch it on TV you old fuck.

How are you doing it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2022, 07:15:06 PM »
I bought Amazon Prime. I have Xfinity.  You can add your account info on Comcast app and watch it on your TV.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #744 on: September 15, 2022, 07:18:30 PM »
Is it just me, or does it feel really strange to listen to KH call an NFL game?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline faizoff

« Reply #745 on: September 15, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
That TD catch by Mike Williams was ridiculous. Intense concentrations in those eyes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #746 on: September 15, 2022, 09:19:06 PM »

It feels good, buddy, doesn't it?  Let it out!   :)

:lol :lol

Championships are a TEAM accomplishment, they are far from the only way to measure how good someone is in ANY team sport - and you know this. How would Brady do one-on-one vs Herbert, Allen, or Mahomes?

Wait, you are asking how one QB would do vs another QB?  That is like asking how would one goalie in hockey does vs another goalie.  Not sure even sure what point you are trying to make.  Yes, championships are a TEAM accomplishment, but you really went off the rails with that last comment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #747 on: September 15, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »
Do announcers even go to the games anymore? I kind of assumed that Troy was a lazy fuck, and he jumped ship specifically so he could call the games from his basement, but it looks like Al Michaels did the same thing, too. That I did not see coming. Not sure what it is, but there's something wrong with watching a game and hearing the commentary from people watching it the same way you are. The experience is lacking. They should be there taking in the big picture.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #748 on: September 16, 2022, 05:57:14 AM »
Do announcers even go to the games anymore? I kind of assumed that Troy was a lazy fuck, and he jumped ship specifically so he could call the games from his basement, but it looks like Al Michaels did the same thing, too. That I did not see coming. Not sure what it is, but there's something wrong with watching a game and hearing the commentary from people watching it the same way you are. The experience is lacking. They should be there taking in the big picture.

I didn't realize that they weren't going to the games now, but while it was hard to hear all of the commentary for last night's game, as I was at a BWW with my cousin for most of it, the lack of excitement in Michaels' call of the tackle on Kelce was glaring. That was one of those WOW defensive plays, but you'd never have known it if you were just listening to the game.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: September 16, 2022, 06:45:15 AM »

He'd beat every one of them.  Maybe not now at 45, but he'd beat every one of them in his prime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: September 16, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »

It's a bummer to me; I was a big fan of Collinsworth and Michaels.  They were a good team.  I like Herbstreit, but it's not the same.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: September 16, 2022, 06:49:40 AM »

Wait, you are asking how one QB would do vs another QB?  That is like asking how would one goalie in hockey does vs another goalie.  Not sure even sure what point you are trying to make.  Yes, championships are a TEAM accomplishment, but you really went off the rails with that last comment.

It's any argument possible to denigrate what Brady has accomplished and build up what Mahomes has accomplished.  Just let it happen; Mahomes might get there; they won last night against a good team while not playing great.  That's a good sign for KC, especially in the division.  But why this incessant need to rush things?  Let it play out. Mahomes is either going to be the greatest of all time or he's not. Right now he's not.  It's not a bad thing, I'm not tearing him down, it's just the way it is on the continuum of time.  When the career is done - or at least winding down - we'll know.  It'll be like Brady, there won't be any question.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: September 16, 2022, 07:01:20 AM »
The people pimping Mahomes as the future GOAT, or even asking if he could be that one day, are only setting him up for failure as that puts him in that "GOAT or bust" box, so to speak.

I will say this, though: the longer Andy Reid is his coach, the better.  I see a lot of Favre in Mahomes (the player, not the POS Favre is off the field), and with the sorry state of coaching in today's NFL, Mahomes' gun-slinging could easily result in a lot of INTs in the future if he gets a coach who isn't as good as Reid, just like Favre threw a lot more of them once Holmgren left GB.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #753 on: September 16, 2022, 08:23:49 AM »

I didn't realize that they weren't going to the games now, but while it was hard to hear all of the commentary for last night's game, as I was at a BWW with my cousin for most of it, the lack of excitement in Michaels' call of the tackle on Kelce was glaring. That was one of those WOW defensive plays, but you'd never have known it if you were just listening to the game.
I'm not certain, but whenever Al and that other guy were shown they were in front of the same studio background that Troy and Buck have. I'm assuming they're in a similar, if not the same studio.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #754 on: September 16, 2022, 09:54:38 AM »

It's a bummer to me; I was a big fan of Collinsworth and Michaels.  They were a good team.  I like Herbstreit, but it's not the same.

I thought Herbstreit was knowledgeable and very well spoken, but you're right.  He's no Collinsworth.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: September 16, 2022, 11:50:36 AM »
What happened with Collinsworth? Al and Collinsworth were my favorite to listen to.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #756 on: September 16, 2022, 12:00:19 PM »
What happened with Collinsworth? Al and Collinsworth were my favorite to listen to.

Collinsworth is still on SNF, but with Tirico calling the plays.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #757 on: September 16, 2022, 12:42:22 PM »
You want coaching stupidity?

How about not playing your starters AT ALL during the preseason especially if you have new personnel at key positions!  :tdwn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: September 16, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
How about not having an Offensive Coordinator?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: September 16, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »

While implementing a new system on offense, with no experience with the style and not from the offensive side of the ball for a decade plus?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #760 on: September 16, 2022, 02:11:03 PM »
I'll try to do this a better way. See, the problem is that in these arguments people always move the goal posts. The question at hand wasn't "which team won the most championships" it was "is Justin Herbert as good as Patrick Mahomes?". The answer is, while Herbert is great and may yet end up being better he isn't right now. Even leaving out the fact that Mahomes has the highest WINNING percentage of all time, both regular season or adding in post-season; even leaving that out Mahomes has statistically been better than Herbert. A better career passer rating and TD-Int ratio. He's been more clutch in big games. He has the best regular season and 2nd best post season passer rating of all time. Herbert hasn't made the playoffs yet. This is comparing them head-to-head without contaminating the argument with team accomplishments.

Mahomes as a rookie had one of the greatest seasons of all time, winning MVP. Herbert has never one won. Herbert, with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler can't claim the "no weapons" argument. Neither he nor Mahomes has ever benefitted from a great defense or great running game. So that's the answer to that question, no he's not as good yet.

Now if we gave just one of those guys years and years of clean pockets, always solid running games, great defenses and the greatest coach of all time which resulted in great team success and then asked "who was better" that's moving the goal posts.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #761 on: September 16, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »

While implementing a new system on offense, with no experience with the style and not from the offensive side of the ball for a decade plus?
Y'all need to stop listening to so much sports radio. That shit make you ignernt.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: September 16, 2022, 03:52:31 PM »

Y'all need to stop listening to so much sports radio. That shit make you ignernt.

Just have to listen to Mac. He's been telling us all off season.

And it's not sports RADIO. It's the simulcast on TV!  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: September 16, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
I'll try to do this a better way. See, the problem is that in these arguments people always move the goal posts. The question at hand wasn't "which team won the most championships" it was "is Justin Herbert as good as Patrick Mahomes?". The answer is, while Herbert is great and may yet end up being better he isn't right now. Even leaving out the fact that Mahomes has the highest WINNING percentage of all time, both regular season or adding in post-season; even leaving that out Mahomes has statistically been better than Herbert. A better career passer rating and TD-Int ratio. He's been more clutch in big games. He has the best regular season and 2nd best post season passer rating of all time. Herbert hasn't made the playoffs yet. This is comparing them head-to-head without contaminating the argument with team accomplishments.

Mahomes as a rookie had one of the greatest seasons of all time, winning MVP. Herbert has never one won. Herbert, with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler can't claim the "no weapons" argument. Neither he nor Mahomes has ever benefitted from a great defense or great running game. So that's the answer to that question, no he's not as good yet.

Now if we gave just one of those guys years and years of clean pockets, always solid running games, great defenses and the greatest coach of all time which resulted in great team success and then asked "who was better" that's moving the goal posts.

Mahomes is great.  I think we all realize that.

The problem is the people trying to talk him up as the GOAT already.  There is zero point in comparing him to Tom Brady at this point.  Zero. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: September 16, 2022, 05:40:22 PM »
The problem is the people trying to talk him up as the GOAT already.  There is zero point in comparing him to Tom Brady at this point.  Zero.

Damn straight! ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #765 on: September 16, 2022, 05:42:49 PM »

I thought Herbstreit was knowledgeable and very well spoken, but you're right.  He's no Collinsworth.

I'm a Ohio native somewhat close in age to KH (basically a 4 year age difference give or take), and I didn't mean to imply that he did a bad job. It just felt out of place. I've watched him as a college player and all through his career. I guess that I've just grown accustomed to him in a specific setting for all of these years.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: September 17, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »

Says the man moving the goal posts.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was responding to the post asking how Brady would do against all the so-called future GOATS.  As for Mahomes v. Herbert, you're 100% correct.

Not for nothing, though, Michaels and Herbstreit DID say that the "Mahomes v. Herbert" matchup will be the premier QB rivalry for the next decade.  Write it down, it's official (whether it actually happens or not).  Fucking Michaels knows better too; he must be getting old.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: September 17, 2022, 03:54:49 PM »
Maybe the hyperbole gene is air born now, and Michaels caught it after years of working with Collinsworth.

Mahomes vs Herbert should be a great matchup for years, especially since they are in the same division, meaning they play will play twice a year (and maybe even three times if they get matched up in the playoffs).  Mahomes vs Josh Allen, which has happened three times already since the start of 2021, seems like the more likely stud QB matchup of the immediate future, but there can certainly be more than one. The media just loves the hype and to hear themselves talk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: September 17, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »
Am I the only one that hated listening to Collinsworth? He was so cringeworthy most of the time.

But that guy could break down a play literally as soon as there was a tackle. His insightfulness was off the charts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #769 on: September 17, 2022, 04:01:06 PM »
Insightful, yes, but he is a bit too forceful with a narrative at times (see: not shutting up about Seattle throwing at the 1). 

I do think his call of the Odell Beckham catch was perfect, though.  The way he talks about it and then laughs and utters, "That's ridiculous." Even Michaels, who is usually not prone to hyperbole like that, finally chuckled a little and agreed with him and let out a soft, "That is ridiculous."