Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100486 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Bills/Rams tonight + Nintendo talk!!)
« Reply #700 on: September 12, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »
KC won't be fighting for the 1 seed. They will be duking it out with the Chargers for 2nd place in the AFC West after the Broncos clinch the division.  :hat :hat

While I expect the Broncos to win tonight, I feel like they are going into the season a tad overrated.

I don't get why Patriots fans hate Mahomes.  Oh, he is a threat to Brady's GOATness, right?  And the way the media talks him up is his fault, right?   :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

I love Pat Mahomes. The guy is amazing.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #701 on: September 12, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
I don't get why Patriots fans hate Mahomes.  Oh, he is a threat to Brady's GOATness, right?  And the way the media talks him up is his fault, right?   :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don't hate the guy. I just think we need to let him play out more than a quarter of his career before we anoint him the second coming. It's the same problem I had with St. Rodgers. I will add that the kid's definitely believing his own hype, as we saw when he knocked his team out of the playoffs last year thinking he really was Superman. That doesn't make me hate the kid, but it sure does make me chuckle when he folds up. Like I said last January, a dose of humility might do him good.

Cooper Rush!   :).  They played a clip with Jerry Jones on Rob Dibble's show, and dammit, I almost felt bad for him.  He was clearly distraught.   I don't think for Dad the person, but for his team. 
Time's running out. Say what you will about the crazy old fuck, he really does love the team, and not all of the problems have been unforced errors. I think he's trying to do right, but he just can't understand the nature of the problem he's created. That actually does make him something of a tragic figure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #702 on: September 12, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
To me, it's always the coverage. That's also why I rarely listen to a game when it's on.

I have zero issue with Mahomes on the field. I think he's incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #703 on: September 12, 2022, 06:59:19 PM »
Broncos D is a bit of a WTF so far.  Geno f'ing Smith should not be looking this good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #704 on: September 12, 2022, 09:14:32 PM »
Broncos new coach is already the biggest dumbass in the league.  Unreal.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #705 on: September 12, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »

They should have won that game with just one of those End Zone fumbles taken away but seriously, imagine spending big on getting a future Hall of Fame quarterback and then not even trusting them to get you five yards when the game is on the line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #706 on: September 12, 2022, 09:22:02 PM »
I am officially off the Broncos bandwagon. They are no longer my team.  I cannot be a fan of a team with a coach this stupid.  It was a good run.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: September 12, 2022, 09:23:47 PM »
I am officially off the Broncos bandwagon. They are no longer my team.  I cannot be a fan of a team with a coach this stupid.  It was a good run.

Enjoy your multiple years of Wilson's diminished skills and weirdness!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #708 on: September 12, 2022, 09:24:19 PM »
So weird to be hearing Tirico on SNF and then Joe and Troy on ESPN. Those last few minutes were whole WTF moments from the Broncos.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #709 on: September 12, 2022, 09:46:42 PM »

They should have won that game with just one of those End Zone fumbles taken away but seriously, imagine spending big on getting a future Hall of Fame quarterback and then not even trusting them to get you five yards when the game is on the line.
In all fairness he took three shots and they were all kind of ugly. I probably would have trusted my D and my K more than him, too,  after seeing that. I kind of see it like standing on 19. It's almost always the smart move, and a lot of the time it'll still get you burned.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #710 on: September 13, 2022, 06:28:36 AM »

In all fairness he took three shots and they were all kind of ugly. I probably would have trusted my D and my K more than him, too,  after seeing that. I kind of see it like standing on 19. It's almost always the smart move, and a lot of the time it'll still get you burned.

He looked pretty bad every time he hero balled. By the way, Geno got away with a lot of bad play too. I'm kinda shocked both QBs got out of that game without turning the ball over.

But I'm not saying he should have taken it to the endzone. I'm taking about the decision to run the clock down on 4th down and 5 from having almost a minute and 3 time outs left to 20 seconds. Shoulda had a play ready and trusted Russ to be able to get you at least 5 yards and the first down, making things a bit easier for the kicker.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #711 on: September 13, 2022, 08:02:50 AM »
I agree. Having over a minute left and all your timeouts and yet CHOOSING to run down the clock for a 64 yard FG is nothing short of bafflingly stupid.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #712 on: September 13, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
Yeah, no shit.  Denver's coach is almost as dumb as Jerry Jones and Geno Smith of all QB's is the evening's hero.  Try not to get used to that Pete Carroll :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #713 on: September 13, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
Yeah, no shit.  Denver's coach is almost as dumb as Jerry Jones and Geno Smith of all QB's is the evening's hero.  Try not to get used to that Pete Carroll :lol

The Broncos flat-out disrespected Geno to start the game. Assuming he would not hit open guys down the field even if you left them totally open and put pressure on them. If Geno's got one thing I remember even from the Jets days, it's poise. Once he got a big head, he started to make some stupid decisions.

Also once the Broncos started respecting that Geno wasn't incompetent his productivity really tapered off. That said, the Seahawks have a pretty winnable schedule in the first half. Would not be surprised if they are in the hunt for a majority of the season.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2022, 10:54:45 AM »
So the other things I enjoyed the most about opening week were of course my Steelers effing up that cocky, mouthy Joe Burrow and Russell Wilson losing in Seattle  :lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #715 on: September 13, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »

I don't hate him, first.  It has nothing to do with him as a person.  Maybe it's something I have to overcome from my childhood, but there are just too many people willing to bestow "greatness" at the drop of a hat. The only thing - the ONLY thing - I don't like about Mahomes is when he tries his fandango underhanded overhand sidearm bullshit and it doesn't work and he looks like a petulant kid. But that's a me problem, and I've never once ever voiced that here, until now.

My only beef is in general the bestowing of greatness before he's actually ACHIEVED that greatness.  The "annointing" as Bill Parcells says.  And since you brought up Brady, do you think there might be one or two people - not saying here, but maybe :) - that are OVER-celebrating Mahomes so we DON'T have to keep talking about Brady (he says impishly and with a big smile)?  :) :) :)

ED:  Ninja'd, perfectly, by El Barto.  What he said.  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:18:33 PM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2022, 12:06:51 PM »

The Broncos flat-out disrespected Geno to start the game. Assuming he would not hit open guys down the field even if you left them totally open and put pressure on them. If Geno's got one thing I remember even from the Jets days, it's poise. Once he got a big head, he started to make some stupid decisions.

Also once the Broncos started respecting that Geno wasn't incompetent his productivity really tapered off. That said, the Seahawks have a pretty winnable schedule in the first half. Would not be surprised if they are in the hunt for a majority of the season.

If Pete Carroll can keep Geno in his zone, they can be decent.  He looked very good at times.  I don't think it will take much for his head to inflate - he was preening a bit during the post game interview: "Were you upset that Seattle fans wrote you off at the start of the pre-season?" "Yeah, they wrote me off, but I didn't write back!" - but until it does, and he can get the ball to Penny and Metcalf, you have to respect him.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #717 on: September 13, 2022, 12:12:51 PM »
Typical week 1 reactions both good and bad, but it's still the first week.  Nobody knows much of anything...yet.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #718 on: September 13, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »
Typical week 1 reactions both good and bad, but it's still the first week.  Nobody knows much of anything...yet.

Dublagent for the win!  :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2022, 03:31:43 PM »
 :lol  Just trying grasp a shred of sanity in an insane league.  ???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #720 on: September 13, 2022, 05:57:15 PM »

I don't hate him, first.  It has nothing to do with him as a person.  Maybe it's something I have to overcome from my childhood, but there are just too many people willing to bestow "greatness" at the drop of a hat. The only thing - the ONLY thing - I don't like about Mahomes is when he tries his fandango underhanded overhand sidearm bullshit and it doesn't work and he looks like a petulant kid. But that's a me problem, and I've never once ever voiced that here, until now.

My only beef is in general the bestowing of greatness before he's actually ACHIEVED that greatness.  The "annointing" as Bill Parcells says.  And since you brought up Brady, do you think there might be one or two people - not saying here, but maybe :) - that are OVER-celebrating Mahomes so we DON'T have to keep talking about Brady (he says impishly and with a big smile)?  :) :) :)

I know we have been over this before, but I don't see anything wrong with gushing over greatness in real time rather than waiting 15 years to how a career plays out and then thinking, "Damn, I wish I would have enjoyed that more in the moment."  Now, the premature GOAT is talk was annoying of course, but there will always be those who love to bloviate when it comes to sports. I just pray I am not one of those people.  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: September 14, 2022, 06:58:12 AM »

I know we have been over this before, but I don't see anything wrong with gushing over greatness in real time rather than waiting 15 years to how a career plays out and then thinking, "Damn, I wish I would have enjoyed that more in the moment."  Now, the premature GOAT is talk was annoying of course, but there will always be those who love to bloviate when it comes to sports. I just pray I am not one of those people.  :biggrin:

I don't even mind a little gushing.  Admire good play when you see it.  But our society now is OBSESSED with absolutes; he can't be just "a good player", he's got to be "the GOAT".  Patriots can't just lose a game, it's got to be "Belichick is an ass and he's done!".  We do nothing in moderation in our country, and it's annoying is all.   :) :) :) :) :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #722 on: September 14, 2022, 12:23:09 PM »

I don't even mind a little gushing.  Admire good play when you see it.  But our society now is OBSESSED with absolutes; he can't be just "a good player", he's got to be "the GOAT".  Patriots can't just lose a game, it's got to be "Belichick is an ass and he's done!".  We do nothing in moderation in our country, and it's annoying is all.   :) :) :) :) :)

That’s fair. I think it’s fair to say “Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen are the two best quarterbacks in the league today” but they haven’t played long enough to be in that all time great conversation yet.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #723 on: September 14, 2022, 12:26:48 PM »
I would also add Justin Herbert to the conversation as one of the best in the league.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #724 on: September 14, 2022, 01:07:23 PM »
I would also add Justin Herbert to the conversation as one of the best in the league.
Man, he is awfully good.  He will be a fun one to watch over the next 5-10 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #725 on: September 14, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
I think Mahomes deserves all-time great status, even if he falls off a cliff. When someone is as indisputably "the man" as he was the year he went MVP and SBMVP, as well as a top player in the league 4 years in a row, that's enough for me. Greatness is not just a measure of longevity, but can also be something to a fixed time and place. I get the annoyance that we have with cannonizing new "best ever's", generally speaking.  But to say that Mahomes isn't one of the greatest of all time is to say that Hendrix or Cobain aren't, and just get credited for it because they died.  IMO, Mahomes has been "the Man" long enough. Whether he's an all-time great is not really a discussion anymore, we're just figuring out where he ranks in all-time greatness now, understanding that at least 2 all-time great QBs are active in the league currently, and may rank out way ahead of him when all's said and done (Brady and Rodgers).

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #726 on: September 14, 2022, 03:27:54 PM »
Man, he is awfully good.  He will be a fun one to watch over the next 5-10 years.

Yeah, I can see him taking the Chargers to the SB within the next couple years.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #727 on: September 14, 2022, 05:39:06 PM »
Justin Herbert is getting the Mahomes treatment already even though he has yet to make the playoffs and still has a losing record as a starter.  At least Mahomes has been the MVP, won a Super Bowl and mostly been a terrific playoff performer.  I agree that Herbert looks fantastic, but can he maybe make a playoff game or *gasp" win one before we crown him?

Whew, sorry, that was my inner Stadler. :P :P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #728 on: September 14, 2022, 06:00:45 PM »
Justin Herbert is getting the Mahomes treatment already even though he has yet to make the playoffs and still has a losing record as a starter.  At least Mahomes has been the MVP, won a Super Bowl and mostly been a terrific playoff performer.  I agree that Herbert looks fantastic, but can he maybe make a playoff game or *gasp" win one before we crown him?

It’s fair though. I’m a fan of Herbert, but Philip Rivers was also a great QB who only took the Chargers past the second round of the playoffs once, and there’s been plenty of discussion about his legacy on here with most agreeing that he can’t be placed in the upper echelon of quarterbacks because of his inability to bring sustained success to the organization.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: September 14, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »
There was a game Monday night?

I tuned in, and then instantly tuned out as soon as I saw the street crossing guard unis of the Seahawks. 

I HATE THOSE FRICKIN' things!   :censored

Can't we just go back to the old basics for all teams?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #730 on: September 14, 2022, 11:25:47 PM »
I love the action green! They are my favorite uniforms of all time! I even bought a Seahawks action green shirt for game days!

Of course, I used to like the old Creamsicle uniforms that Tampa Bay used to have back in the day. So what do I know?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: September 15, 2022, 07:28:01 AM »
I think Mahomes deserves all-time great status, even if he falls off a cliff. When someone is as indisputably "the man" as he was the year he went MVP and SBMVP, as well as a top player in the league 4 years in a row, that's enough for me. Greatness is not just a measure of longevity, but can also be something to a fixed time and place. I get the annoyance that we have with cannonizing new "best ever's", generally speaking.  But to say that Mahomes isn't one of the greatest of all time is to say that Hendrix or Cobain aren't, and just get credited for it because they died.  IMO, Mahomes has been "the Man" long enough. Whether he's an all-time great is not really a discussion anymore, we're just figuring out where he ranks in all-time greatness now, understanding that at least 2 all-time great QBs are active in the league currently, and may rank out way ahead of him when all's said and done (Brady and Rodgers).

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, but this is the Kurt Warner issue.  He did it twice, and when the Hall Of Fame came calling, it was a rather vigorous debate, since he DIDN'T have the career numbers.  It's fine to say that someone had the greatest SEASON of all time, but I think whatever body of work you have, it should be viewed in the totality.   Hendrix and Cobain (and Rhoads) died; that's a big point.   What they did was great, but they didn't have the chance to put out their own version of "Music... From The Elder" or "Black Clouds and Silver Linings".   I don't really think it will happen, but if defenses catch up, and he has ten seasons of average, you can't compare him to Hendrix any longer.  It's the average that is now the defining metric.   At this point, Mahomes isn't even Dan Marino, who had some monster seasons, but ended up with a 17-year career of monster seasons (more or less). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: September 15, 2022, 07:29:00 AM »

It feels good, buddy, doesn't it?  Let it out!   :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #733 on: September 15, 2022, 07:40:09 AM »

:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #734 on: September 15, 2022, 07:41:45 AM »
Should be a great game tonight. Herbert is scary good. We all know Andy Reid hates to run the ball but the running game would be a good strategy to slow down that great pass rush of Bosa and Mack. We'll see what he does.