Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 149055 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1365 on: November 05, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
I'm slowly get acquainted with the album, but damn, as I was saying previously.... there's stuff like which I'm supposed to love instead. I can confirm that Trascending Time is my favorte song, and while discussing DT12 in a heartbeat I named The Bigger Picture the best song on the album, so maybe that's the kind of stuff I like now from DT, but I don't certainly blame them if my tastes have changed.

Maybe it has already been said but I  think a slower piece would have helped with the diversity of the album. Yeah, it's not monothematic, there's a mid tempo song, there's a big epic, there's a happy tune (Trascending Time) but right now I would be at loss, if I should hear a random 30 second instrumental passage, if it's from Answering the Call, Sleeping Giant or Awaken the Master. If not a slower piece, a completely different kind of song would have helped the album diversity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1366 on: November 05, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »

I stated something similar a few pages back, but this album is copping the exact same amount of treatment as every new album. Some (I’ll include myself in this group), will like most the things the band has done and may not connect with everything, but will find things they enjoy on every DT release. Some will hail the new album as the holy grail, born from the mountaintops of Jerusalem after a day of listening. Some will flat out not enjoy it. Some won’t give it a “real” chance, because they really just aren’t into the band anymore. Some will still swear black and blue that MM just overplays everything and has sucked the life out of the band, etc, etc.

All I know is: I’ve been listening to the band for over 30 years (I cherished my Images and words cassette). And the band has given me some real joy and music to smile about over the years. I love every album to varying degrees. But EVERY album has tracks I skip too. I take the good with the not so good. I liked MP’s drumming, he needed to be replaced, and I like MM’s drumming just as much. Debate it all you want, but the truth is - they are drummers, and both of their work with the band is just fine. The average punter wouldn’t even know they changed drummers if you played them some random tracks.

Im not technical at all. So, it comes down to how the songs sound. And they have high quality tracks on every release from WDADU right to the latest in View. To suggest laziness, or so and so doesn’t sound great - it’s DT. Nothing is that different. They experiment. They time change. They do long. They do short. They do epic. They do metal. They do melody. And they still always bring quality after over 30 years…

Wow, what a great post.  I can't say I agree with every word of it, but I pretty much agree with the overall sentiment of every point.

Cheers Bosky.

And if what you don’t agree with is cherishing cassette tapes - that’s fair. Because frankly, cassettes were a bit shit  ;) ;D

I know this is "get off my lawn!" territory, but there was a neat ritual back in the day.  New album came out - Tuesdays, if memory serves (I know it was always the same day) - and you'd take it home.  Crack open the plastic and inspect the vinyl, putting it on your turntable and starting it up.  While listening, immerse yourself in the liner notes, the jacket text (if any) and the gatefold artwork (if any).   After the first listen through, get a Maxell 90 minute tape (the vast majority of single albums back then could fit on 45 minute sides; you may have had to cut or fade one song) and dub a copy.   Then for the next week or so, live with that fucker in your car or walkman, because that was the only music you had.    To this day, I can STILL give you album and song rundowns (sometimes with times) for those albums I was immersed in in high school.   Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?   DDDDC, Love At First Feel, Big Balls, Rocker, Problem Child, Ain't No Fun..., There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', Ride On, Squealer.   Ozzy?  I Don't Know, Crazy Train, Goodbye To Romance, Dee, Suicide Solution, Mr. Crowley, No Bone Movies, Revelation, Steal Away.  Don't get me started on Kiss; I can do that from Strutter off the first album through Save Your Love on Dynasty.   To this day, Somewhere In Time by Maiden goes from Heaven Can Wait to Stranger In A Strange Land, because I cut Loneliness off the tape because of time. 

I miss that.   I have an iPod that has all my music on it (I modded it), but it's not the same.  I miss my little black canvas bag with the latest and greatest cassettes in there (I actually still have that, and have many of my tapes).

Mate, I'm hearing ya totally. I remember my brother and I getting our first Walkmans in '86 (I would have been 9 at the time), and we got our first cassettes to go with it - Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet and John Farnham's Whispering Jack. Dad already had a super vinyl collection with everything from the Beatles to Elton John and Billy Joel, so man did those cassettes and vinyl dubbed cassettes get some serious play time...

The thing was, cassettes were a funny little thing - the sound wasn't amazing, they had to be flipped to play side 2 (my newer Sony sound system I got in my teens had an auto flip AND fader - amazing :D) and the bastards liked to get chewed in car stereos in particular. But man, the time I spent making compilations of my favorite tracks (making sure no one was walking past or talking while you were trying to record), not to mention some of the serious albums that came through my hands that were a huge part of my childhood and teens (Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood, Bryan Adams' Reckless and Waking up the Neighbours, Poison's Open up and say Ahh.. and of course Images and Words), brings back some seriously fond memories :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1367 on: November 05, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »
I’d rather pay $9.99 to see Mangini give a lesson in real time where you can ask questions than $20 for a DVD of Portnoy playing along to tracks on an album. Which he did. For every album.

I'm not a drummer and I went to a MM drum clinic. I spent 20 bucks for my wife and I. We both had a blast and only understood about 1/3 of what he was talking about. There was also a Q&A and M&G. Awesome night out! Would have spent double that at least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1368 on: November 05, 2021, 09:01:32 AM »

I stated something similar a few pages back, but this album is copping the exact same amount of treatment as every new album. Some (I’ll include myself in this group), will like most the things the band has done and may not connect with everything, but will find things they enjoy on every DT release. Some will hail the new album as the holy grail, born from the mountaintops of Jerusalem after a day of listening. Some will flat out not enjoy it. Some won’t give it a “real” chance, because they really just aren’t into the band anymore. Some will still swear black and blue that MM just overplays everything and has sucked the life out of the band, etc, etc.

All I know is: I’ve been listening to the band for over 30 years (I cherished my Images and words cassette). And the band has given me some real joy and music to smile about over the years. I love every album to varying degrees. But EVERY album has tracks I skip too. I take the good with the not so good. I liked MP’s drumming, he needed to be replaced, and I like MM’s drumming just as much. Debate it all you want, but the truth is - they are drummers, and both of their work with the band is just fine. The average punter wouldn’t even know they changed drummers if you played them some random tracks.

Im not technical at all. So, it comes down to how the songs sound. And they have high quality tracks on every release from WDADU right to the latest in View. To suggest laziness, or so and so doesn’t sound great - it’s DT. Nothing is that different. They experiment. They time change. They do long. They do short. They do epic. They do metal. They do melody. And they still always bring quality after over 30 years…

Wow, what a great post.  I can't say I agree with every word of it, but I pretty much agree with the overall sentiment of every point.

Cheers Bosky.

And if what you don’t agree with is cherishing cassette tapes - that’s fair. Because frankly, cassettes were a bit shit  ;) ;D

Ha!  No, I had plenty of cassettes.  I&W was probably one of the last, if not the last cassette I bought.  But I know I eventually replaced it with a CD.  I never bought vinyl, but I would basically go through a similar ritual as what Stadler posted as far as tearing off the plastic wrap, popping in the tape, and reading through the entire liner notes while listening.  Miss those days.

The only quibbles I had were:

-"Every album" has skippable songs:  Not for me.  I would say about half (or just under half) do.

-And I disagree that MP "needed to be replaced."  Ultimately, I think it was the best move.  But I'm not sure I would say it was "needed."

But still, as I said, those two things aside, I agree with pretty much every word of your post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1369 on: November 05, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »
My last cassette was 'Awake', I loved the album and was talking to a friend about how great the new DT was.  He say's 'it's great, my favorite song is 'Scarred', isn't it amazing?'.  I was floored - my cassette didn't have ANYTHING about Scarred?!?!  WTF was he talking about?!   I had to ride over there to see he wasn't pulling my leg, it was a limitation of the cassettes, apparently.  :lol 

CDs from there on out for me

ps new album still rocks, cannot wait to see it live

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1370 on: November 05, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »
I’d rather pay $9.99 to see Mangini give a lesson in real time where you can ask questions than $20 for a DVD of Portnoy playing along to tracks on an album. Which he did. For every album.

I just re-read this and I’d like to add…throughout my teen years, Portnoy was my musical hero. Despite how controlling he got with the band, the way things ended, and the crap he’s said over the past 10-15 years, I love the guy.
As well as I think the band has done with Mangini, and despite how great MM has been for the band….’92-‘03 DT was magic. And for me during that time, Portnoy was THE MAN.

Just had to say that. Carry on.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1371 on: November 05, 2021, 10:10:17 AM »

Also no songs about wizards and dragons and maidens ( for the most part ;D )...

Well, no one's perfect!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1372 on: November 05, 2021, 10:12:53 AM »

I just re-read this and I’d like to add…throughout my teen years, Portnoy was my musical hero. Despite how controlling he got with the band, the way things ended, and the crap he’s said over the past 10-15 years, I love the guy.
As well as I think the band has done with Mangini, and despite how great MM has been for the band….’92-‘03 DT was magic. And for me during that time, Portnoy was THE MAN.

Just had to say that. Carry on.

Awake is a perfect drumming masterpiece.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1373 on: November 05, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »

Cheers Bosky.

I know this is "get off my lawn!" territory, but there was a neat ritual back in the day.  New album came out - Tuesdays, if memory serves (I know it was always the same day) - and you'd take it home.  Crack open the plastic and inspect the vinyl, putting it on your turntable and starting it up.  While listening, immerse yourself in the liner notes, the jacket text (if any) and the gatefold artwork (if any).   After the first listen through, get a Maxell 90 minute tape (the vast majority of single albums back then could fit on 45 minute sides; you may have had to cut or fade one song) and dub a copy.   Then for the next week or so, live with that fucker in your car or walkman, because that was the only music you had.    To this day, I can STILL give you album and song rundowns (sometimes with times) for those albums I was immersed in in high school.   Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?   DDDDC, Love At First Feel, Big Balls, Rocker, Problem Child, Ain't No Fun..., There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', Ride On, Squealer.   Ozzy?  I Don't Know, Crazy Train, Goodbye To Romance, Dee, Suicide Solution, Mr. Crowley, No Bone Movies, Revelation, Steal Away.  Don't get me started on Kiss; I can do that from Strutter off the first album through Save Your Love on Dynasty.   To this day, Somewhere In Time by Maiden goes from Heaven Can Wait to Stranger In A Strange Land, because I cut Loneliness off the tape because of time. 

I miss that.   I have an iPod that has all my music on it (I modded it), but it's not the same.  I miss my little black canvas bag with the latest and greatest cassettes in there (I actually still have that, and have many of my tapes).

Mate, I'm hearing ya totally. I remember my brother and I getting our first Walkmans in '86 (I would have been 9 at the time), and we got our first cassettes to go with it - Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet and John Farnham's Whispering Jack. Dad already had a super vinyl collection with everything from the Beatles to Elton John and Billy Joel, so man did those cassettes and vinyl dubbed cassettes get some serious play time...

The thing was, cassettes were a funny little thing - the sound wasn't amazing, they had to be flipped to play side 2 (my newer Sony sound system I got in my teens had an auto flip AND fader - amazing :D) and the bastards liked to get chewed in car stereos in particular. But man, the time I spent making compilations of my favorite tracks (making sure no one was walking past or talking while you were trying to record), not to mention some of the serious albums that came through my hands that were a huge part of my childhood and teens (Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood, Bryan Adams' Reckless and Waking up the Neighbours, Poison's Open up and say Ahh.. and of course Images and Words), brings back some seriously fond memories :)

If I had a dollar for every time I had to lay across the front seat, leaning over to unravel the tape off the capstan in the hopes of not snapping it off...  ah, the kids these days don't know how easy they have it!   :) :) :)

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1374 on: November 05, 2021, 10:43:50 AM »

The only quibbles I had were:

-"Every album" has skippable songs:  Not for me.  I would say about half (or just under half) do.

-And I disagree that MP "needed to be replaced."  Ultimately, I think it was the best move.  But I'm not sure I would say it was "needed."

But still, as I said, those two things aside, I agree with pretty much every word of your post.

Perhaps I should’ve worded the bold a bit better, but just to clarify - When I say “needed” I certainty wasn’t implying he should have left. I meant it very literal in the fact MP had decided to leave for whatever reason, hence the band “needed” to find a replacement...

But regardless, gee the talk about cassettes takes me back. Like Stad just put, these youngun’s don’t know how easy they’ve got it ;) But man did they have some charm about them :)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1375 on: November 05, 2021, 12:58:06 PM »
My last DT cassette was SFAM!  ::)  I had no portable CD player at the time.

I made a ton of mixtapes/"best of" tapes.  I had a dual cassette system.

The front pouch of my high school backpack was full of rap tapes.  I used to listen to tapes all the time at school.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1376 on: November 05, 2021, 06:51:37 PM »
https://youtu.be/WrHSK06Y6Bo

Oh his latest video about classes, MM shared a few nice short clips of him playing ATM. There's even a shot from the studio recording of the album, which made me think if they have footage of all the recording process, at least drums, I'd love to see more of that.

Also, to see him playing the intro of ATM is just amazing, such a complex part and it looks like he's jamming to a regular tune you know, crazy stuff.

Offline sylentman

« Reply #1377 on: November 05, 2021, 07:16:15 PM »
An update on a topic previously discussed in case helps anyone who wants to buy the album in Amazon US.
Just realized Amazon US added the Autorip mp3 option for the US CD and US Vinyl versions -if shipped & sold by them (Not the imported ones). Not sure why it wasn’t before and why added now, bad news is that seems not retroactive if you had bought, had to re-purchase cd to get that into my digital library (the collector part of me could not rest until getting that haha).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: November 05, 2021, 07:22:13 PM »
An update on a topic previously discussed in case helps anyone who wants to buy the album in Amazon US.
Just realized Amazon US added the Autorip mp3 option for the US CD and US Vinyl versions -if shipped & sold by them (Not the imported ones). Not sure why it wasn’t before and why added now, bad news is that seems not retroactive if you had bought, had to re-purchase cd to get that into my digital library (the collector part of me could not rest until getting that haha).

Can't you just rip the CD??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1379 on: November 05, 2021, 07:33:01 PM »
Well, that's why Reap is U.N.Y.  :uny: 

WE ARE THE SHIT THAT YOU WISH YOU WERE
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline sylentman

« Reply #1380 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:09 PM »

Yes, but wanted to have on the Amazon digital library also :)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1381 on: November 05, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »

Funny you say that. I still play cds, rip cds, burn cds etc… my 3 boys have computers that don’t even have cd drives. They don’t even know what a cdr is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1382 on: November 05, 2021, 08:54:25 PM »

Funny you say that. I still play cds, rip cds, burn cds etc… my 3 boys have computers that don’t even have cd drives. They don’t even know what a cdr is.

So I got a new laptop about a year ago or so. I got the Distant Memories CD/DVD thing. I was like, Oh cool, I'm gonna watch the DVD on my laptop. Where's the fucking disc drive?? WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1383 on: November 05, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »

So I got a new laptop about a year ago or so. I got the Distant Memories CD/DVD thing. I was like, Oh cool, I'm gonna watch the DVD on my laptop. Where's the fucking disc drive?? WTF??

That sucks! If you build your own through any company you have to ask them to include a cd/dvd drive. Same with new cars. I bought an external CD/DVD drive from Amazon just to have one. ***I cannot and will not stop playing cds***

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1384 on: November 06, 2021, 02:56:46 AM »
If I had a dollar for every time I had to lay across the front seat, leaning over to unravel the tape off the capstan in the hopes of not snapping it off...  ah, the kids these days don't know how easy they have it!   :) :) :)

I might agree that these kids nowadays aren't aware of how easy they have it... but I wouldn't change the era's in a million years. We grew up with having nothing but the physical content in our hands. That feeling, the warm adrenaline rush driving home as fast as I can, throwing the bike against the wall with the cd in my hand, a lovely jewelcase with the booklet in it... I wish my daughters could experience now, what I did back in those days. My first Metallica cd, the Black Album, I lost count on how many times I heard it but it's definitely in the hundreds... and I remember having tears in my eyes with Pink Floyds the Wall in my hands. These drawings, the story, it was so much more than just music.

The ocean of songs they can chew on nowadays, make they spit out a tack, way before one realized the beauty of it.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1385 on: November 06, 2021, 05:40:00 AM »

I might agree that these kids nowadays aren't aware of how easy they have it... but I wouldn't change the era's in a million years. We grew up with having nothing but the physical content in our hands. That feeling, the warm adrenaline rush driving home as fast as I can, throwing the bike against the wall with the cd in my hand, a lovely jewelcase with the booklet in it... I wish my daughters could experience now, what I did back in those days. My first Metallica cd, the Black Album, I lost count on how many times I heard it but it's definitely in the hundreds... and I remember having tears in my eyes with Pink Floyds the Wall in my hands. These drawings, the story, it was so much more than just music.

The ocean of songs they can chew on nowadays, make they spit out a tack, way before one realized the beauty of it.

To this amazing point I will add that kids also don’t tend to appreciate the value of context.

My 13 yo gets in the car the other day and I’m listening to the Black album. Now, he’s trying to learn guitar, and the Enter Sandman riff has been coming out of his bedroom, so despite the fact that I never need to hear it again, I start the album over. 5 minutes later, following the fade-out, Sad But Teue engulfs the car.

My kid jumps in his seat when it starts. He then comments on how much heavier it sounds following the Sandman fade out. Exactly! If you’ve never listened to the album in sequence (which he hadn’t), then things like that are completely lost.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1386 on: November 06, 2021, 06:43:45 AM »
If you’ve never listened to the album in sequence (which he hadn’t), then things like that are completely lost.

Exactly, I agree whole-heartly. The only time I shuffle my songs on iTunes (and even then Dream Theater only) is while riding my bike. But whenever I spin a vinyl at home or listen to music in the car, I only do albums. Both the Alien and Invisible Monster are perfect examples of songs who sounds so much better in the context of an album. Pointless to mention those on a conceptalbum.

An hour ago my artbook of a View From the Top of the World was delivered. What a beautiful book and I love to have it next to my vinyl in the bookcase of my livingroom.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: November 06, 2021, 08:26:18 AM »
Ok so I REALLY like Invisible Monster. More than Sleeping Giant and Transcending Time anyway :) .

^ * Also the only time I shuffle an album is if i've listened to it in sequence SO OFTEN that I just wanna pick a song off it.

My kid jumps in his seat when it starts. He then comments on how much heavier it sounds following the Sandman fade out. Exactly! If you’ve never listened to the album in sequence (which he hadn’t), then things like that are completely lost.

One day - my AJFA Blackened Remastered CD arrived so I listened to the whole album in one go.

THEN I put on Sad But True immediately after and the difference was ridiculous. From the brittle stark empty thin sound of Dyers Eve

to the THICK HEAVY FULL tone of Sad But True. It was like going from a paddle to diving into a pool.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1388 on: November 06, 2021, 08:37:10 AM »
Ok so I REALLY like Invisible Monster. More than Sleeping Giant and Transcending Time anyway :) .

^ * Also the only time I shuffle an album is if i've listened to it in sequence SO OFTEN that I just wanna pick a song off it.

IM I like just fine, but for me it comes nowhere near Sleeping Giant or Transcending time. Different strokes I guess...

And I have a massive DT library which I constantly shuffle. Yea, context and all that, but I know the albums like the back of my hand now, so I honestly prefer to shuffle tracks on random. It's also something that makes you realise how much I disagree with those that say "none of the Astonishing songs work as standalone". The truth is, many of them do and do it well actually. We all know the story so well by now, it doesn't necessarily have to be in context or order to enjoy.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1389 on: November 06, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
2 weeks later, this album is STILL a masterpiece

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1390 on: November 06, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »
'Masterpiece' is definitely an exaggeration, but it's a nice album, for sure :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1391 on: November 06, 2021, 11:31:33 AM »
I’ve found treating D/T and AV as a double album places it somewhere between nice and masterpiece… there’s no redundancy between those two and they have a similar sound, with AV being clearer while the music is more indirectly complex.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1392 on: November 06, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
One day - my AJFA Blackened Remastered CD arrived so I listened to the whole album in one go.

THEN I put on Sad But True immediately after and the difference was ridiculous. From the brittle stark empty thin sound of Dyers Eve

to the THICK HEAVY FULL tone of Sad But True. It was like going from a paddle to diving into a pool.

That album needs an actual remix
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: November 06, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
I might put on the new album again later whilst PS4-ing to give it another full listen :) Done Mastodon through twice.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1394 on: November 06, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »

Until then, I recommend the outstanding full album cover that Josh DuBois recorded for the Bass Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vumrar1k928
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1395 on: November 06, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »

Until then, I recommend the outstanding full album cover that Josh DuBois recorded for the Bass Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vumrar1k928

Not bad!

There's also the various And Justice for Jason remixes out there. The album's so much better with bass it's actually shocking. Everything sounds *more* evil with it.
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: November 06, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »
Every album since SFaM, with the possible exception of ADToE, had that one song (or maybe more), where after the couple listens, if was clear to me that was the song on that album that was just never going to click with me and going to be a regular skip. I do not think this album has that song. This is the type of album I love: one that I can play from the beginning, and leave it going through to the end, and then think "is the album over already?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1397 on: November 07, 2021, 01:32:12 AM »
The more than I listen to this album and the more I like every song of it, which is rare...what a work, it's jewelry from hi-hat to solos...

But am I the only one hearing high pitched feedback in like 3 moments of the album ? Like sleeping giant solo.
Sounds like it's a cymbal mic or something
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1398 on: November 07, 2021, 04:31:13 AM »
Peter Orullian has a video up with a play though of the album and his own thoughts:

https://youtu.be/FQnjgz-XeAI

It’s a long one, and I’ve only just finished The Alien, but pretty interesting so far.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1399 on: November 07, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
Cool. I just watched The Alien part of it and Peter is quite inciteful for his first listen.  I never made the connection with the vocal effect in the first verses,  but he's right. It's supposed to be like a radio transmission sound from outer space or something to that degree. That makes the song that much cooler imo.  Kind of like what Rush did on parts of Spirit of Radio.    :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP