Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143146 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1540 on: November 11, 2021, 03:15:12 PM »
I'm shocked that anyone is shocked about anything.

I'm shocked that you're not shocked that Kade doesn't like exactly the same things I do.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1541 on: November 11, 2021, 03:17:55 PM »

I really don't get what's so difficult to understand. But I'll use the following example to try to illustrate: Let's say you go to a pizza restaurant with your friends. All of you like pizza and have similar preferences about what style of pizza you like. You all order the same thing. Your food arrives, and it really doesn't taste good to you. But your friends start talking about how wonderful it is. Wouldn't you be surprised that they like this pizza that, to you, is pretty poor?

That's what's happening here.

And I call it interrogation because "I don't find much to enjoy about this; I'm surprised at how much praise it's getting" is a completely normal thing for someone to say when they don't like something, and I don't suspect that someone would receive any questions like this if they said "I really enjoy this; I'm not surprised that it's getting a lot of praise"—even though that's virtually the same logic except that it's positive instead of negative.

Well... in answer to this pizza nonsense, I would suspect, given the case, that we don't like the same pizza after all.

But we don't need to continue this bummer.

If people find it surprising that a larger portion of fans liked an album that brings a lot of the band's traditional characteristics (and for that very reason it was accused of being "DT by the numbers"), so be it.

I liked TA and I would be EXTREMELY SURPRISED if it had been well received by the audience.

Well stop continuing it then.

It's already been stopped.

That was precisely the last post.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: November 11, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »
I'm shocked that anyone is shocked about anything.

I'm shocked that you're not shocked that Kade doesn't like exactly the same things I do.

That is indeed shocking.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1543 on: November 11, 2021, 03:25:19 PM »
Wrote a bit about the album, kind of a review but also a sort of response and interpretation of the kinds of comments that I've been seeing about it: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-review/Enigmachine/dream-theater/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world/160845955

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: November 11, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »
To close the whole thing off with my views, me saying I was shocked was merely using Tim's word back at him.  Tim said he was shocked at my views on the album, so I twisted the phrase with the same severity.  Now Tim and I have become great friends and for the longest time we've both been quite in sync with what each other likes.  There's even a few bands and artists that I think not many others on here really give two shits about except us two.  Him being shocked was mainly because he was certain I would like this.  He has every right to be shocked since we know each other quite well.

Me throwing the word back was nothing more than a bit of banter.  Now, it doesn't mean I'm not surprised by the reception based on what I'm hearing, because I am.  I wish I was hearing what everyone else is hearing but Im not shocked that a forum full of DT fanatics are loving it, that would be naive.  I am struggling with people ranking it as high as SFAM, 6D or I&W but Im glad the band have hit something with you all here.

425 did sum it up well, and that's all there is to it.  This album is DT, and has all the things that I should like, but I just don't.  While I wish I loved it, it's not a crime to simply not like the album.  I feel I've never been disrespectful towards the band here.  I could say a lot more about what I think, but there is no point, that achieves nothing.  The height of my disappointment comes because DT are one of my loves and I've grown up with them and followed them since SFAM.  It's the ones you care about the most the hurt the most when they let you down.

I'm really really happy though this album is pleasing you all as much as it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1545 on: November 11, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »
To close the whole thing off with my views, me saying I was shocked was merely using Tim's word back at him.  Tim said he was shocked at my views on the album, so I twisted the phrase with the same severity.  Now Tim and I have become great friends and for the longest time we've both been quite in sync with what each other likes.  There's even a few bands and artists that I think not many others on here really give two shits about except us two.  Him being shocked was mainly because he was certain I would like this.  He has every right to be shocked since we know each other quite well.

100%!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: November 11, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »
One of the things I've found satisfying with several moments of this album is how JP has taken an almost percussive accompaniment approach to his support of Jordan. I've read the comments about him excessively "chugging" but that has always been a part of JP's playing, but not so much since Jordan came aboard...or so it seems to me. If he's going to "chug" (and a dog will hunt) I like his choice of locking in with Mike and JMX while Jordan explores his orchestral and/or atmospheric stylings. I've really enjoyed that about this album and I find it, dare I say, inspired.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1547 on: November 11, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
One of the things I've found satisfying with several moments of this album is how JP has taken an almost percussive accompaniment approach to his support of Jordan. I've read the comments about him excessively "chugging" but that has always been a part of JP's playing, but not so much since Jordan came aboard...or so it seems to me. If he's going to "chug" (and a dog will hunt) I like his choice of locking in with Mike and JMX while Jordan explores his orchestral and/or atmospheric inspirations. I've really enjoyed that about this album and I find it, dare I say, inspired.  :)

Yeah, I can see that.

I also like JP's solos.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: November 11, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »
One of the things I've found satisfying with several moments of this album is how JP has taken an almost percussive accompaniment approach to his support of Jordan. I've read the comments about him excessively "chugging" but that has always been a part of JP's playing, but not so much since Jordan came aboard...or so it seems to me. If he's going to "chug" (and a dog will hunt) I like his choice of locking in with Mike and JMX while Jordan explores his orchestral and/or atmospheric inspirations. I've really enjoyed that about this album and I find it, dare I say, inspired.  :)

Yeah, I can see that.

I also like JP's solos.

I think I need more familiarity with his solos on this record. Yes they sound like JP, yes they're acrobatic, yes they're impressive, yet in spite of all that, I'm currently ambivalent toward them. Other solos he's done resonate more with me.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1549 on: November 11, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »
I agree about JP's solos on this record. It was one of the first things I noticed. His playing is just as crisp as ever, but none of them grabs me, except the first one in ATM. I think TT would have been a good opportunity to write a dramatic solo-- like the one in Barstool-- but the song takes a weird turn to a minor tonality.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1550 on: November 11, 2021, 04:17:58 PM »
I quite like the album now. I edited out IM as that song grates hard on me and it all flows better for it, afaic.

It does feel a lot more of a technical/instrumental album than DOT to me, and I'm more of a fan of the song-centric approach (When i say "song" in this case I mean the structures of vocals and lyrics over chords rather than instrumental noodling) but I enjoy it when I go in with the expectation of that rather than an emotional vocal hit.

I'm still frustrated by certain aspects of it but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out by this time next year, for example.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1551 on: November 11, 2021, 04:35:08 PM »
While I am enjoying View, I would like to hear the band change up a few things on the next album. Some have commented this is DT by the numbers-- I understand the criticism, though I quite like DT by the numbers.

I think there is a lot of low hanging fruit that wouldn't alter the band's core sound, while potentially giving a fresh experience to the long time fan base. For example: relying less on the chugga riffs during the verse, giving JM or MM solos during songs instead of JR or even JP, changing song order formula (maybe an epic belongs at the front of the record?), etc. There's plenty they can do to keep things fresh next time without getting into new genres or making tribute songs.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1552 on: November 11, 2021, 05:01:48 PM »
Assuming we are here because we are "super fans" of DT , it does shock, surprise, confuse (or whatever) me when I feel View is their best album and other hard-core fans completely do not like it. It doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong at all. My reaction is harmless and non judgemental,  just genuinely surprised and that's fine.

Being a fan from essentially day one absolutely makes a difference how I appreciate (or not) each album. How? When I heard WDADU I had nothing else to compare it to so when I&W came out it was this epic off the charts step up for them and still I only had WDADU to compare it to and hearing every DT album as it was released is MUCH different from someone who was introduced to the band when SFAM was already out or whatever album you heard first. Expectations are completely different listening in reverse or having a bunch of albums to sit with at the same time. I hope this makes sense. It does not make me a bigger or better fan, its all just perspective. I would love to know if View is anyones first DT experience, that new fan would sure have their plate full, haha!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1553 on: November 11, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »
Sleeping Giant is the musical cousin of...... Three Days

I can go with this. I think in my first impression post of Sleeping Giant, I described it as the bastard child of Systematic Chaos and The Astonishing.  :lol 

Offline illusionist

« Reply #1554 on: November 12, 2021, 01:08:07 AM »
For me,as a DT fan since '99,i find the album to be quite enjoyable.
I won't say it's among my best,but i won't say it's among my worst either.
There are songs.and moments,that i like/love more than the others.
I don't like every song equally tho.

If i was to rate the songs at the moment it would be
1. Answering the Call
2. Sleeping Giant
3. The Alien
4. A View
5. Awaken the Master
6. Transcending Time
7. Invisible Monster

But i get to like the album more wich each listen,and that is a good sign.

One of the things I've found satisfying with several moments of this album is how JP has taken an almost percussive accompaniment approach to his support of Jordan. I've read the comments about him excessively "chugging" but that has always been a part of JP's playing, but not so much since Jordan came aboard...or so it seems to me. If he's going to "chug" (and a dog will hunt) I like his choice of locking in with Mike and JMX while Jordan explores his orchestral and/or atmospheric stylings. I've really enjoyed that about this album and I find it, dare I say, inspired.  :)

Thanks for sharing your view on it,now i will pay attention to what you said,maybe i will have a new appreciation for JP approach for the album 👌
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:25:18 AM by illusionist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: November 12, 2021, 03:00:33 AM »
Me : :) Invisible Monster is a great song.

LITERALLY ALL OF DTF : Man IM IS THE WORST.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1556 on: November 12, 2021, 03:09:39 AM »

I love it as well. And the second verse is one of the coolest sections of the album, very proggy and interesting.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: November 12, 2021, 03:16:08 AM »
Not that it's saying much but Invisible Monster is way better than Forsaken or Along For the Ride imo.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1558 on: November 12, 2021, 05:57:09 AM »
I prefer it to Forsaken but never listen to that one either.

I like the main instrumental melody motif a lot. My issue is what I perceive as the banality of the lyrics and what is (to me) a really uninteresting choice of words in the song's title. The last part of the chorus when James says that title again with more emphasis and the tempo is plodding away .... makes me want to beat my head on the desk. But it's me. Your can't control what makes you cringe lyrically or otherwise, right?

However - I was wrong to judge this album too fast and say it has the worst song writing of their career. Codswallop, that is. I should have known better than to think I knew what was going on after just a few listens of a new DT album.

Listening to the album today I was taken away by TT. And that shredding section at the end of the guitar solo is one of the highlights of the album for me. Awesome.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1559 on: November 12, 2021, 06:41:09 AM »

Great song!   Even JP said in Guitar World magazine that it is one of the coolest songs on the album..  I think it will translate very well in a live setting, and I hope they play it.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: November 12, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
I don't know what has changed - but a new album just doesn't give me the :D and the goosebumps anymore on first listen.

It always takes me way longer to appreciate an album these days.

Bit of a bummer. But at least I don't get bored of them immediately from over playing.

Distance Over Time and Emperor of Sand still seem really new to me - cause I tend to listen to them a lot for the first week or so then rarely after that.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1561 on: November 12, 2021, 08:33:29 AM »

I really like IM and I think it's a good change of pace and adds some variety to the album.  Especially with the crunchy guitar riff.

The lyrics are pedestrian and the chorus, while catchy lacks energy and just plods along.

However, the rest of the song is quite awesome IMO... Petrucci is doing very cool and interesting stuff throughout and it's probably my favorite solo of his on the album.  I genuinely think of a creeping cartoon monster during his solo.

I'ts not a perfect song but I'm really glad its on the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1562 on: November 12, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »
Not that it's saying much but Invisible Monster is way better than Forsaken or Along For the Ride imo.

No. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1563 on: November 12, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »

No. 

For maybe the first time ever in a DT thread, Stadler is correct.  It is a great song.  But Forsaken and Along for the Ride are spectacular.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:13:29 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: November 12, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
At this DOOF words fail DOOF
And my DOOF unclear
Blind to the DOOF
Like DOOF reaching out in the DOOF

;D ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1565 on: November 12, 2021, 09:53:22 AM »

No.
Agreed.  I don't even like Forsaken very much, but it slays Invisible Monster.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1566 on: November 12, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
Forsaken, Invisible Monster, Along for the Ride, A Rite of Passage, Constant Motion, Paralyzed, Wither - none of these songs are bad, but they're all lower tier DT tunes as far as I'm concerned.  I would say Invisible Monster is probably one of my favorites on that list, but still lower tier DT IMO.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1567 on: November 12, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »
Seeing has how there's so much "shock" in this thread.
I'm personally shocked by how much I like the album as a whole.

8/10
Quite a bit of replay for me already. The only song that disappoints a little is A View.

Vocally the album keeps James in a nice range that he should be able to handle live.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #1568 on: November 12, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
And my DOOF unclear
Blind to the DOOF

;D ;D

Best. Snare. Ever.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1569 on: November 12, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
And my DOOF unclear
Blind to the DOOF

;D ;D

:rollin

Perfectly describes what I hear too, and why I prefer the live version. And the main song I feel the snare just does not work for the song at all. It's like if they decided to turn up the Triggered snare to overpower the rest of the song in Surrounded.  :lol

I love the song though, but not the production choice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1570 on: November 12, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »

No. 

For maybe the first time ever in a DT thread, Stadler is correct.  It is a great song.  But Forsaken and Along for the Ride are spectacular.

‘Spectacular’ in what sense?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1571 on: November 12, 2021, 12:21:28 PM »

No. 

Um...pretty much every sense.  Not sure what else to say in response to your question.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1572 on: November 12, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »

It's like you're reading my mind, maaaaan!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1573 on: November 12, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »

No. 

Um...pretty much every sense.  Not sure what else to say in response to your question.

I just thought 'spectacular' is a strange word to describe any of these two songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1574 on: November 12, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »

No. 

I just thought 'spectacular' is a strange word to describe any of these two songs.

Why?