Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142009 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
*Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
With the album drop only a few hours away, we need an official no-holds-barred discussion thread, so here you go.  Discuss away.  "Spoilers" are likely to abound, so read at your own risk if you do not want to know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rab7

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:49:41 AM »
There was a comment I wanted to reply to in the old thread, but it got locked.

Kevshmev was replying to someone complaining "vocals and melodies in many songs".

I'll add that it's the vocal melodies that are slightly weak. The instrumental melodies are fantastic. If we exclude the Astonishing, it's probably my favorite overall collection of melodies since ADTOE

Offline Hypnotherapist

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:02:37 AM »
Band announcement:

Join us on Saturday October 23 for a very special virtual album launch event on our YouTube channel!

Tune in at 11am PST / 2PM EST / 7PM BST / 8PM CET

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=430687011756504&set=a.268057098019497
https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1451186514138914816
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:09:04 AM by Hypnotherapist »

Offline Seppe76

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »
Well ... This AVFTTOTW is a tough, interesting, complex album.
Of course with some weak points, (see The Alien and Invisible Monster) but with several strong points such as the splendid Sleeping Giant, the fresh Transcending Time, the sumptuous final suite.
A great step forward compared to DOT which, after Room137 was removed, I liked it.
For me the best album of the Mangini era.
Great mixing.
Nothing new, now the band is sailing on well-known waters, but for me it's a great job 💪
Rating 8,5

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »
I will be spamming this thread, editing as I post track by track as I am listening. Let's go!

The Alien - I think I already listened to this song a hundred times with at least one listen per day since its release. Definitely my favorite opener since The Root of All Evil. The ending section starting from "I am the alien" still gives me goosebumps. 8/10

Answering the Call - Wow, what a catchy tune. Vocals are really singable. The prechorus vocal melodies are especially cool. I found myself moving to the groove all throughout the song. I don't know why but it felt like an improved attempt at what they were aiming for in Paralyzed. The ending with Myung's bass and Mike's snare is topnotch. 9/10

Invisible Monster - Now I can definitely hear how this really sounds much better following the first two tracks. A nice breather. 7/10

Sleeping Giant - Woah, woah, woah. I think we just entered DT classic category here. I did not expect much with that main riff at the start but man did they build that up to go into interesting directions. It is like Systematic Chaos and The Astonishing had a child which turned out much greater than its parents. Jordan is amazing. The ending, what a great ending. Real goosebumps ending.10/10

Transcending Time - Damn it, my eyes are moist. It's just...beautiful. Apologies to Dream Theater, I never thought they could write a song like this. Best Rush song not done by Rush. This song deserves to be big. 10/10

Awaken The Master - This is not what I expected when I read JP will use an 8-string, it did not go the djenty route. Good riffs. Good vocal melody again. Mike Mangini is killer! Best single stroke cymbal playing in the planet. I really wish though that they were able to go back later in the song  to the beautiful guitar and piano melody in the intro. 9/10.

A View From The Top Of The World - Now that is a brave epic. They could easily have gone the JP playing guitar at the top of the mountain route like Illumination Theory and Octavarium but they didn't. I can see where the earlier A Change Of Seasons comparison is coming from structurally. I feel so tense right now, I have not felt so tense listening to a Dream Theater song. There are so many rests! DT not going the fill as many notes a second route, putting in rests in unexpected places. If they make a timing mistake live, everybody will hear it. LOL. I think I need a week to get my head around this song. At least 9/10, I need to process this...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:21:35 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
Wow. Dropped in my part of the world, sat back and took it all in on my good headphones. Seriously good album.

Some initial thoughts:

- I can’t say there were any tracks I didn’t enjoy, but holy moley is there some music to digest in there. I know that when I like the initial sound but know it will require repeat listens, they are generally the albums that I rank the highest and have serious staying power.

- I remember someone in the other thread said the only track they didn’t like was Transcending Time. Sucks for them because I absolutely adore it, and it is one of the tracks like Barstool Warrior to me that I loved from first listen and will continue to. What a tune - Some Rush combined with the best bits of the WDADU era in a modern package.

- The epic is elite. Without too much info leading in, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I needn’t have worried - it’s a ripper. Love the finally free-esque ending.

- Answering the Call is a tune. So good.

- Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master will require some repeat listens, as there is some serious music going on in them. Right up my alley, with some mean riffs.

- while I thoroughly enjoyed the two singles, they do really sound great in the context of the album.

- I actually love James vocals in the album. He sounds crisp, clear and in a sensible range at this stage of his career, while bringing that “warmness” that only JLB can…

- Mike Mangini. You magnificent bastard.

Love it. Will post more in depth once I have digested it more over the coming week. Carry on…

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:50:47 AM by jayvee3 »

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 09:57:08 AM »
Transcending Time - Damn it, my eyes are moist. It's just...beautiful. Apologies to Dream Theater, I never thought they could write a song like this. Best Rush song not done by Rush. This song deserves to be big. 10/10

I can't f*cking wait to listen this. 5 hours later I can spam this song. Some review I read define the song as Surrounded V2. This makes me excited.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »

I can't f*cking wait to listen this. 5 hours later I can spam this song. Some review I read define the song as Surrounded V2. This makes me excited.

I wouldn't call it "Surrounded v.2" at all.  It is actually pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »
Yea, I can’t really say I’d call it Surrounded V.2, but it’s absolutely a terrific tune :tup

Offline rab7

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »

I would say it's Innocence Faded with a better everything

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »

I'll add that it's the vocal melodies that are slightly weak. The instrumental melodies are fantastic.

Agree with all this but particularly the first part. They're just sort of... there.

It's a more progressive album than Distance Over Time, and much more dense.

The Dream Theater of old has long since gone but this isn't a bad album. Solid 7.5/10 at the moment.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
I can't wait for everyone to hear how Dream Theatery this record is!

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »

I wouldn't call it "Surrounded v.2" at all.  It is actually pretty good.

hello my old friend, this post is not implying that you dislike surrounded is it? have a good day!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »

I'll add that it's the vocal melodies that are slightly weak. The instrumental melodies are fantastic.

Agree with all this but particularly the first part. They're just sort of... there.

Transcending Time, Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant are all very singable.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »
There was a comment I wanted to reply to in the old thread, but it got locked.

Kevshmev was replying to someone complaining "vocals and melodies in many songs".

I agree. Should have been more clear. YES, my one issue with the album is the vocal melodies.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
- Mike Mangini. You magnificent bastard.

This is the best comment ever made about this album :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rab7

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »

Transcending Time, Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant are all very singable.

You're right. TT is definitely the best, and they all have good choruses, but they all seem same-ish. Descending lines going down one whole step at a time, but sometimes moves a half step to throw you off.

The Alien chorus has a range of 4 notes and just descends chromatically.

ATC and SG go down the scale too.

Awaken the Master chorus revolves around two notes, one step apart

Of course, it's what they do with those notes that counts, and they manage to make those pretty catchy. But it was very hard to differentiate them when trying to remember.

I also want to add that they really did a good job with the vocal harmonies in the choruses

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 10:54:50 AM »
I am on my second run now and the "Our desires and ambitions..." part in The Sleeping Giant is so good.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 11:09:29 AM »
It's 'puzzeling me' that I do read here and in the other topic often that 'there's not much new in here' and Dream Theater is sailing on safe seas. But, unless LaBrie starts spitting out raps, which path they haven't been on already? Their discography has such an unbelievable variety that it doesn't surprise me one bit that there is not much new in here.

And if the Alien and Invisible Monster really is the low or weak spot, they can throw weakness at me until I'm old and grey.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
It's 'puzzeling me' that I do read here and in the other topic often that 'there's not much new in here' and Dream Theater is sailing on safe seas. But, unless LaBrie starts spitting out raps, which path they haven't been on already? Their discography has such an unbelievable variety that it doesn't surprise me one bit that there is not much new in here.

And if the Alien and Invisible Monster really is the low or weak spot, they can throw weakness at me until I'm old and grey.

I hadn't heard a note from the album until I listened to it in full. The prior criticism of Invisible Monster surprised me - I thought it was rather good and a highlight on first listen!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »

I think the record reaches a level of refinement that has not really been heard from them before. I would not call it "safe". It moves the ball forward in some ways (especially the production - maybe their best ever?) while mostly still being the DT you expect. If you like Alien and Invisible Monster, you'll be more than happy with it.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
I am on my second run now and the "Our desires and ambitions..." part in The Sleeping Giant is so good.

Sleeping Giant is a definite highlight for me, right from the solid wall of guitar panning intro. Also bloody love the section at around 4m10s. Brilliant vocal melody and those whoahs :metal :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online faizoff

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
Got mine today and the artbook is just beautiful.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
Very cool!  :tup

Offline rab7

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »
Sleeping Giant is my favorite and definitely joins the ranks of "essential DT" for me.

What I love about it:

The left-right-both guitar riff.
All the riffs in general.
The first chorus being minor and 7/8 while the second chorus is major and 4/4
The instrumental section, especially the Honky tonk solo
The feeling of relentless energy throughout

Online lightbug

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »

(left image) Much better album cover IMO

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »

I haven't been paying attention, where did you order the artbook collection from?

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 12:30:53 PM »

I haven't been paying attention, where did you order the artbook collection from?

I ordered mine from Laser's Edge this time round. Past few releases were from Century Media and they always came late.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 12:36:04 PM »

I ordered mine from Laser's Edge this time round. Past few releases were from Century Media and they always came late.

My order from Century Media says "in progress", and not "shipped". Hmmmmmm.  :-\

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »

I agree. People have said that "The Alien" is just more of the same. To me, however, they don't have any other songs in their catalogue that are like it! Now there are stylistic choices, timbres, and song structures that they always keep with them and sprinkle throughout their songs, but that's a big part of their sound! If they changed it too much, it wouldn't sound like Dream Theater any more

I don't dislike solely on the fact that it has a song structure similar to one they've previously done. The lexicon of pop music is filled with many gems with overlapping song structures.

Now I will admit that I would love to hear them experiment more with different sounds, textures, styles, and writing. I wish they'd slow down the pacing sometimes and allow some parts to breathe more. They did that in the middle of "The Count of Tuscany" and that was hit or miss with fans. You know, there was a recent album where Dream Theater really switched it up and did things like

ditched the instrumental shred
focused on vocal melodies
used different sounds and instruments
showcased different musical styles
focused on motif, theme development, and story in a more complex way than they've ever before
used atmospheric non musical audio interludes

And what happened?
Too soft! Too Disney! Too cheesy! Too long (never thought I'd hear this one from Dream Theater fans) All the cool parts are too short! Where are the guitar solos?

And everyone crawled through the album to find the little snippets they like, that sounded like the Dream Theater they already know.
Admit it! You do like more of the same!

Should Dream Theater pull an Opeth? Or where Steven Wilson went with his music post Porcupine Tree? Or where Metallica went with Load?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »
Someone finally talking sense!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »

I agree. People have said that "The Alien" is just more of the same. To me, however, they don't have any other songs in their catalogue that are like it! Now there are stylistic choices, timbres, and song structures that they always keep with them and sprinkle throughout their songs, but that's a big part of their sound! If they changed it too much, it wouldn't sound like Dream Theater any more

I don't dislike solely on the fact that it has a song structure similar to one they've previously done. The lexicon of pop music is filled with many gems with overlapping song structures.

Now I will admit that I would love to hear them experiment more with different sounds, textures, styles, and writing. I wish they'd slow down the pacing sometimes and allow some parts to breathe more. They did that in the middle of "The Count of Tuscany" and that was hit or miss with fans. You know, there was a recent album where Dream Theater really switched it up and did things like

focused on motif, theme development, and story in a more complex way than they've ever before

And what happened?
Too soft! Too Disney! Too cheesy! Too long (never thought I'd hear this one from Dream Theater fans) All the cool parts are too short! Where are the guitar solos?

And everyone crawled through the album to find the little snippets they like, that sounded like the Dream Theater they already know.

Should Dream Theater pull an Opeth? Or where Steven Wilson went with his music post Porcupine Tree? Or where Metallica went with Load?

Quote of the year! ;D

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 12:42:22 PM »

And what happened?

Quote of the year! ;D

And...boy am I guilty of that!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
They did that in the middle of "The Count of Tuscany" and that was hit or miss with fans. You know, there was a recent album where Dream Theater really switched it up and did things like

Totally agree in here, the Count is one of my all time favorites. And what to say 'bout the lullaby Petrucci weaved in, in London (LNFA 2, Dramatic Tour of Events).

I like Dream Theater the most because of its variety, from the metalriffs on Train of Thought to the orchestra in Illumination Theory, from the long-stretched Octavarium to the classic Lie / Mirror punch. All in there fills every void I've effer felt musically. I would not miss a thing of all those.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
Finished first listen : wow, there's a lot to digest! Unfortunately, I too find the vocal melodies unmemorable, but we'll see after multiple listens. As of now, I find all the songs a little samey, but that might change as well. Will listen to it again tomorrow in my car.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael