Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 126949 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
I think it's high time we reconsider the concept of the crosswalk. In general, I think they're good and necessary ideas. In practice people seem to have completely forgotten how they work. I drive right across the middle of SMU a few times a day, and when I'm in an area designed for foot traffic I'm inclined to stop for people in crosswalks, as per the agreed upon rule. My first notion was simply that a pedestrian holding a phone up to his face forfeits right of way. Seems pretty simple. I'll stop for people approaching crosswalks, as they have the right of way, and expecting me to plow right on through they'll stop and send a text. Won't even look to see that I've stopped for them. Turns out that it's not just them, though. Easily half the people I encounter either don't understand that they get to go, or they think it's a trap and I'm going to get all Death Race 2000 their silly asses. Seems to me that if pedestrians aren't going to use them expediently we should just do away with them and let them either take their chances or walk to the nearest intersection.

I personally haven't experienced this, at least not enough to take note.  But it makes me wonder if the pedestrian reaction is due to car drivers not stopping as they should.  I see that often enough in my experience of drivers just going through cross walks with people waiting to cross.  To me, that type of behavior is very common where it's a selfish act of the driver but also just people generally don't understand the rules of the road and definitely don't understand right of way (apparently my gf never heard of right of way in a recent drive together when she hit a 4 way stop sign and didn't follow the right of way).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »
Amen, Bart. I hate when I wave someone across and they cross like a fucking caterpillar. Get going.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2022, 01:52:26 PM »
Amen, Bart. I hate when I wave someone across and they cross like a fucking caterpillar. Get going.
Yeah, I always try to jog across when there are cars waiting. Partly it's to minimize exposure, but mostly it's because I don't like being a dick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: February 10, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »
Yeah, I always try to jog across when there are cars waiting. Partly it's to minimize exposure, but mostly it's because I don't like being a dick.

Yup.
It's the rudeness that is exasperating.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #634 on: March 01, 2022, 05:37:21 PM »
So for the 2nd time now, I have received a glass item from Amazon that shows up in a million pieces due to inept packing of the product.  I know it shouldn't be surprising but I have to shake my head at the customer service follow up.

"Would you like to print the return label or receive a QR code?"

"What for?  I cannot ship back broken glass.  No carrier service will legally take broken glass."

"Oh.  I see.  Then we will need you to return the parts that aren't broken."

"The parts covered in millions of glass shards?  You expect me to risk injury to myself handling an item covered in glass?  I don't think so.  Do you want to pay my medical bills from the stitches I may need?  Not to mention the fact that the parts that aren't 'broken' are damaged from all the cut glass."

"Oh.  Let me ask my lead."

*waiting*

"Ok.  This one time we will allow you to receive a replacement without having to make a return."

"Gee....thanks I guess?  For 'allowing' me to obtain the item I purchased without receiving it completely useless because of your negligence?"

::)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #635 on: March 02, 2022, 04:42:26 AM »
So for the 2nd time now, I have received a glass item from Amazon that shows up in a million pieces due to inept packing of the product.  I know it shouldn't be surprising but I have to shake my head at the customer service follow up.

"What for?  I cannot ship back broken glass.  No carrier service will legally take broken glass."

"The parts covered in millions of glass shards?  You expect me to risk injury to myself handling an item covered in glass?  I don't think so.  Do you want to pay my medical bills from the stitches I may need?  Not to mention the fact that the parts that aren't 'broken' are damaged from all the cut glass."

*waiting*

"Ok.  This one time we will allow you to receive a replacement without having to make a return."

"Gee....thanks I guess?  For 'allowing' me to obtain the item I purchased without receiving it completely useless because of your negligence?"

I don't think its illegal to ship broken glass. You would need to ship it in a non-pierceable, rigid plastic or metal container with and it would need to be classed, marked and handled as "hazardous goods" but it would be doable. Expensive and pointless, but possible.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: March 02, 2022, 06:30:16 AM »
I'm really feeling that meme of turning 30 and falling apart. I'm 35 and in the past 3 years I've had 1 sinus surgery, 3 dental surgeries, and I'm pretty sure I just got a hernia. Getting old is exasperating....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #637 on: March 02, 2022, 06:58:22 AM »
I just bought two headlights that came in as the wrong ones (can't tell if it was my error or theirs).  I did the return on-line, and dropped the box off, unsealed, at my local Amazon drop-off point, a UPS store the next town over.  I had my money back in literally 30 minutes, and it couldn't have been easier.   Is that an option?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #638 on: March 02, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm not schlepping this box full of finely broken glass in my car to an Amazon drop off location.

I am doing that for the wrong box of drawer pulls they sent me, but not this.  They can eat glass.   :P

FTR that plastic bag that contains most of the broken glass ripped apart upon lifting it out of the box.  The pan with the shattered lid was also full of shards and the nonstick coating on the pan is essentially useless.  Interestingly, I did offer to send them the photo so they could see what I was talking about but they said they didn't want to see it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #639 on: March 02, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »

Huh?  That's not true.  There's no law prohibiting the shipment of broken glass (nor is there a need to mark it as "hazardous goods," as someone else mentioned).  Whether a particular carrier would accept a shipment is something I can't speak to, but why would you tell the carrier what's in the box?

That said, I'm not surprised they relented.  Amazon's return policy is very liberal.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: March 02, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
Amazon's return policy is very liberal.

This, but also, I would have just sent it back without the details "broken" and return it goes.  But yeah, definitely does suck.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #641 on: March 02, 2022, 11:29:40 AM »

Huh?  That's not true.  There's no law prohibiting the shipment of broken glass (nor is there a need to mark it as "hazardous goods," as someone else mentioned).  Whether a particular carrier would accept a shipment is something I can't speak to, but why would you tell the carrier what's in the box?

That said, I'm not surprised they relented.  Amazon's return policy is very liberal.

Maybe things have changed but I had a side gig about 7 years ago that meant mailing/shipping items all over the world several times a week and every time I dropped them off to send out they asked me about hazardous materials which included broken glass and told me that would be prohibited to send through USPS, FedEx, UPS.  Maybe that is just the spiel they say and it doesn't mean anything but lord knows I heard it about a thousand times.  So glad I don't do that anymore. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: March 02, 2022, 11:37:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure the USPS needs a warrant to open your package.  I would lie to them if I were sending something they may not like.  Not like I know this from experience or anything....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #643 on: March 02, 2022, 11:43:27 AM »

*waiting*

I gather you don't live anywhere near a Whole Foods. Anyplace with an Amazon drop box will work for that situation. WF doesn't even care if you wrap it back up or not. Just hand them the pieces and it's their problem.

edit: Ninja'd repeatedly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:48:54 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: March 02, 2022, 12:01:55 PM »

Maybe things have changed but I had a side gig about 7 years ago that meant mailing/shipping items all over the world several times a week and every time I dropped them off to send out they asked me about hazardous materials which included broken glass and told me that would be prohibited to send through USPS, FedEx, UPS.  Maybe that is just the spiel they say and it doesn't mean anything but lord knows I heard it about a thousand times.  So glad I don't do that anymore.

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me that "x" was "illegal" when it really wasn't, I could buy you an entire replacement set of pans. 

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #645 on: March 02, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
I'm really feeling that meme of turning 30 and falling apart. I'm 35 and in the past 3 years I've had 1 sinus surgery, 3 dental surgeries, and I'm pretty sure I just got a hernia. Getting old is exasperating....

I am 40 tomorrow. My lower back is getting more and more achy. Generally getting up is more achy. Yes, getting old is exasperating. Still though, surprise "not surprise" 40 bday bash on Saturday. I will be very achy Sunday.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #646 on: March 02, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me that "x" was "illegal" when it really wasn't, I could buy you an entire replacement set of pans.

Yup.  In the volunteer work I do, I frequently hear folks asking if they can have criminal charges thrown out solely because the cop didn't read Miranda warnings or people thinking that simply living with someone else for X years creates a common law marriage.  I also see a meme on Facebook pretty frequently that is based on parents having told their kids that it's illegal to drive barefoot or with the dome light on.

Harmony, it's possible that a shipper may have a policy that prohibits certain things that aren't prohibited by law, and they feel like it will get more traction if they say or imply that it's illegal rather than just against policy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: April 13, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
So.. today I went shopping at Columbia for a spring jacket for my wife for Easter. I was in a section looking around and these two ladies that work there were like, "Excuse me, we would like to take a picture."
My first thought was..'Hmm they must want to show someone shopping, a male model if you will'. I was literally about to ask 'where do you want me to stand' when one of them says, "We don't want to get you in the picture"  :facepalm:

Apparently they just needed a picture of their section all set up. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #648 on: April 13, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
So.. today I went shopping at Columbia for a spring jacket for my wife for Easter. I was in a section looking around and these two ladies that work there were like, "Excuse me, we would like to take a picture."
My first thought was..'Hmm they must want to show someone shopping, a male model if you will'. I was literally about to ask 'where do you want me to stand' when one of them says, "We don't want to get you in the picture"  :facepalm:

Day drinking on a Wednesday?  Damn.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: April 13, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »
Being asked to move to avoid being in someone else's selfie is a feeling unlike any other.

From the subcategory of things that exasperate me but shouldn't... when my wife adds something to our family calendar after it happened. Meaning, if we have a vet appt last Tuesday and it didn't make it on the calendar, she will add it despite it having already occurred.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: April 14, 2022, 06:32:54 AM »

TAC's optimisim is infectious. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #651 on: April 14, 2022, 06:39:15 AM »

TAC's optimisim is infectious.

Nah.  He's been married too long.  Can't read women anymore.  A beaten down mule. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Harmony

« Reply #652 on: April 14, 2022, 08:21:56 AM »
So apparently there is some made up poutrage over how people end their emails.  It is no longer acceptable to write "Best" or "Regards" because they are somehow passive aggressive?

:huh:

After some consideration, I've decided that my email sign off will now be, "I blame millenials"  :P

Curious as to how you all do it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »
I see nothing wrong with Best or Regards.  Why would anyone think that's passive aggressive?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2022, 08:34:55 AM »
So apparently there is some made up poutrage over how people end their emails.  It is no longer acceptable to write "Best" or "Regards" because they are somehow passive aggressive?

:huh:

After some consideration, I've decided that my email sign off will now be, "I blame millenials"  :P

Curious as to how you all do it.

Hm, those are my two goto sigh-offs—care to elaborate?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
You guys - I'm not saying it makes sense.  LoL  I don't know why.  I'm trying to figure it out myself.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
My emails end with a period.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »
And apparently, I'm late to the discussion.  But I did find this article that talks about it from September of 2020.

https://junkee.com/best-email-signoff/269254

I do like the idea of using, "moist"  :laugh:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2022, 08:46:30 AM »
I see nothing wrong with Best or Regards.  Why would anyone think that's passive aggressive?

Because it's Thursday.

Call me novel, or a woke trendsetter, but most often I don't sign off my emails with any salutation.  I put "Bill", or "WMF", or if it's external at work, I'll put my signature (which is my full name and contact info).   I do have a preference for "As always I remain," though I never use it.  Let's see some woke-ass punk try to malign THAT one!  You don't know me!  You'll NEVER know me!  :) :) :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
During the worst of the pandemic, I was signing off with Be well / stay safe.

But yeah... otherwise, "Regards" is my go to if I feel the need for anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2022, 08:49:23 AM »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #661 on: April 14, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »

Because it's Thursday.

Call me novel, or a woke trendsetter, but most often I don't sign off my emails with any salutation.  I put "Bill", or "WMF", or if it's external at work, I'll put my signature (which is my full name and contact info).   I do have a preference for "As always I remain," though I never use it.  Let's see some woke-ass punk try to malign THAT one!  You don't know me!  You'll NEVER know me!  :) :) :)

I will NEVER call you a 'woke trendsetter'

Insults like that will get a man banned around these parts ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2022, 09:09:38 AM »
You know what's exasperating?  The hypocrisy and arbitrariness of these kinds of crises.   I'm eternally fascinated how variable it is that we either have to outright accept (not tolerate, accept) others as they are, at our peril, or we have to force them to conform to our, sometimes arbitrary, sometimes subjective, view of the world.   If we're supposed to accept someone else unconditionally for their politics, their sexuality, their gender (or lack thereof), or any of a million other things, shouldn't we then also accept their chosen expression of well-being (or not)? 

As always, I remain,
Stadler

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
Maybe you all will find this funny... my wife's ex used to end his phone calls and some emails to her with "Go Fuck Yourself".  With the emails, though, he would often just abbreviate them "GFY".  A couple years later, there was a contempt motion/restraining order motion filed in court, and he had to testify and he was asked what "GFY" stood for; with a straight face he said "God Forgives You".   I had to give him credit for that one. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2022, 09:15:06 AM »

Because it's Thursday.

“As always I remain” tells me your stuck in your ways and unable to be awoken! :P