Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 127016 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #875 on: June 10, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »
Employees had free choice with us. If they do not get the vaccine,  we ask to wear a mask. That's it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: June 10, 2022, 10:39:28 PM »
Employees had free choice with us. If they do not get the vaccine,  we ask to wear a mask. That's it.

I meant more your insanely low Health and Safety incident worker strike rate.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #877 on: June 11, 2022, 05:15:38 AM »

I meant more your insanely low Health and Safety incident worker strike rate.  :lol

lol.... I think he got a little dyslexic, and read "vacancies" as "vaccines".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: June 11, 2022, 05:26:51 AM »

lol.... I think he got a little dyslexic, and read "vacancies" as "vaccines".

:lol  Yeah, that could explain it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: June 11, 2022, 06:39:35 AM »
Me no read. Lol

I actually wanted to point out our safety record at our site. I'm proud of our record.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #880 on: June 17, 2022, 10:13:15 AM »
People who use the left turning lane as a merging lane. >:(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #881 on: June 17, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »
Employer mandatory meetings shoved up against the end of the fiscal year so the employer can check a box.

Today's is on sexual harassment in the work place.  Supposedly it is an 8 hour training condensed into 2 hours but I'm currently 1 hour in and this attorney guy is yammering on and on about stupid shit we all should've learned in middle school and I feel like screaming.

"Be sure to make sure that hug is wanted.  If the person you are leaning into leans away you need to pay attention to that."   ::)

It's all about the bonuses and KPIs for the managers, it's so infuriating and shallow.

DTFing during it too......nice

They gave us a 10 minute bio-break.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: June 17, 2022, 07:25:42 PM »
Is "bio-break" an actual term? I've never heard that before.

When I see news headlines/stories proclaiming Juneteeth as a "paid holiday." Me, and millions of other Americans, are going to work on Monday, because it isn't a "paid holiday" for most of us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #883 on: June 17, 2022, 07:31:38 PM »
When I see news headlines/stories proclaiming Juneteeth as a "paid holiday." Me, and millions of other Americans, are going to work on Monday, because it isn't a "paid holiday" for most of us.

I think depending on your occupation paid holidays aren't as set as in some industries, no? I think most states are adopting this though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: June 17, 2022, 07:36:46 PM »
Right, so stop unilaterally calling it a "paid holiday" as if it applied to everyone, when it really only applies to a minority of workers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: June 17, 2022, 07:39:43 PM »
Right, so stop unilaterally calling it a "paid holiday" as if it applied to everyone, when it really only applies to a minority of workers.

Well, does everyone get Veteran's Day as a paid holiday? Or Memorial Day? Isn't Juneteenth supposed to be treated similarly?

I actually think it's up to each state to make it a paid holiday or not, and I don't think they all do it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: June 17, 2022, 07:47:39 PM »
Of course not. I don't think any level of government can mandate (god, that word...) a holiday being a paid day off across the board.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #887 on: June 17, 2022, 07:55:23 PM »
Of course not. I don't think any level of government can mandate (god, that word...) a holiday being a paid day off across the board.

Why not? The Paid Holidays we have now are because they've been mandated. Maybe mandated isn't the right word, but passed by law. If your state passes a law that states Juneteenth as a paid holiday, then it will be.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: June 17, 2022, 08:08:04 PM »
Can't speak for other states, but just looked it up for WA.

Washington State does not require employers to provide leave or pay for holidays, vacations, or bereavement. These benefits can be found in your employer policies or collective bargaining agreement. They are generally an agreement between an employer and employee. L&I does not enforce these agreements.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #889 on: June 18, 2022, 05:33:46 AM »
Up here, there are Statutory Holidays that are National (Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day etc...), while others are set Provincially.  I'm sure it's the same in the US no?  Wouldn't those all be Nationally observed paid holidays (salaried, and Time + 1/2 / double time or whatever for hourly)?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: June 18, 2022, 08:13:46 AM »
My company originally had Monday off as a holiday, but now we merged into another company and they do not have Juneteenth as a holiday so now we have to work Monday.  I thought it was a federal holiday along with others like Memorial day that companies give employees off. Sucks, I thought our new company was better than this.  Maybe next year since this is the first year and some companies just haven't recognized it yet?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: June 18, 2022, 08:37:07 AM »
Stop whining you all.  Wal Mart DC assholes closed just Christmas day durring the pandemic.  They fucking blow.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #892 on: June 18, 2022, 09:07:31 AM »
Stop whining you all.  Wal Mart DC assholes closed just Christmas day durring the pandemic.  They fucking blow.

*laughs in 15 years of hotel work*

I'm getting it paid off, but that's the corporate foodservice world for you... Tech companies embrace all the holidays.

Honestly though, Juneteenth is a more worthy reason for a paid federal holiday than Christmas ever was... Just my hot take.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:21:05 AM by lonestar »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #893 on: June 18, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »
Y'all need unions. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #894 on: June 18, 2022, 10:15:43 AM »

My hotel job was a union gig.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #895 on: June 18, 2022, 10:49:13 AM »
I was in an union once a long time ago (had no choice), but I am not anymore, and I am happy about that.  They are somewhat useful, a necessary evil of sorts.  But don't say that to a union person or they will come at you like you just insulted their grandma. :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #896 on: June 18, 2022, 11:41:09 AM »

If by "y'all" you mean the United States, then no, we do not.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #897 on: June 18, 2022, 12:12:39 PM »

Do we need them? Or at least the threat of them? I feel like we do, indirectly.

I was having this conversation at work the other day. Probably about 25% of the stores in my company are Unionized. In my state, the number is closer to 50%

In Massachusetts Sunday Pay used to be time and a half, or 1.5 premium. Starting in 2019, it started ticking down from 1.5 to 1.4 and so on. This year it's 1.2 and it will disappear in two years. Copanies have to pay at least the state premium.

My company is still paying 1.5, and I said that as long as it's in the Union contract for the Union stores, we will continue to get it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: June 18, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
Sweden gets 6 National holidays this year during weekdays, but that's on the low side because a lot of the national days fell on weekends this year. 11 or 12 is possible if the weeks align.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: June 18, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »
Boy I really started something here.

My only point was that these holidays are not by default "paid holidays" for everyone, so I found calling them such was a tad exasperating. As to whether they should be, I can't say. 

Sweden gets 6 National holidays this year during weekdays, but that's on the low side because a lot of the national days fell on weekends this year. 11 or 12 is possible if the weeks align.

If a holiday falls on a weekend, they don't recognize it on the preceding Friday (if Saturday) or following Monday (if Sunday)? That seems standard here.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #900 on: June 18, 2022, 01:05:39 PM »
Boy I really started something here.

My only point was that these holidays are not by default "paid holidays" for everyone, so I found calling them such was a tad exasperating. As to whether they should be, I can't say. 

If a holiday falls on a weekend, they don't recognize it on the preceding Friday (if Saturday) or following Monday (if Sunday)? That seems standard here.

Not if its a day specific celebration like Epiphany or the Nation Day. Stuff like Easter and Midsommar obviously floats to the nearest weekend.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: June 18, 2022, 01:22:04 PM »

It seems my dutch coworker has a holiday every month  :lol  Plus a lot more mandated PTO time than us in the US.  Definitely different the way things are done over seas than in the US.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: June 18, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »

Do we need them? Or at least the threat of them? I feel like we do, indirectly.

I was having this conversation at work the other day. Probably about 25% of the stores in my company are Unionized. In my state, the number is closer to 50%

In Massachusetts Sunday Pay used to be time and a half, or 1.5 premium. Starting in 2019, it started ticking down from 1.5 to 1.4 and so on. This year it's 1.2 and it will disappear in two years. Copanies have to pay at least the state premium.

My company is still paying 1.5, and I said that as long as it's in the Union contract for the Union stores, we will continue to get it.

Are you seeing all of that 1.5?  Or are you giving some of that back to the union in fees?  What's the net?

In my old company - who brought good things to light - for the years I was Environmental Counsel (and thus privy to this information) the non-union manufacturing facilities had higher productivity, had a better safety record, had broader healthcare access, and the employees netted higher wages as compared to the union facilities in the same division.   

I get that this is not always the case, but it certainly is a reality.  Do unions serve a purpose in certain instances? Sure.  Do we NEED them?  it's my opinion that they aren't the necessity they might once have been.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #903 on: June 18, 2022, 03:07:18 PM »
Stads, I'm a non Union worker. My point is that as long as it's in the contract for the Union employees in the Union stores, the non union employees in the non union stores will likely continue to retain the Sunday pay premium of 1.5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »

In my old company - who brought good things to light - for the years I was Environmental Counsel (and thus privy to this information) the non-union manufacturing facilities had higher productivity, had a better safety record, had broader healthcare access, and the employees netted higher wages as compared to the union facilities in the same division.   

I get that this is not always the case, but it certainly is a reality.  Do unions serve a purpose in certain instances? Sure.  Do we NEED them?  it's my opinion that they aren't the necessity they might once have been.

I spent 16 years as a Store Manager for my company. 5.5 years in Non Union stores and 10.5 in Union stores, and I must say, there was literally no difference that I could tell.

Now I'm not supporting unions in any way. They look at members or especially potential members as nothing but dues generating product. I suppose, that's not all that different than how employers view employees when you think about it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #905 on: June 19, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »

It seems my dutch coworker has a holiday every month  :lol  Plus a lot more mandated PTO time than us in the US.  Definitely different the way things are done over seas than in the US.

I get 31 days a year plus national holidays, and if I don't use all of them I can carry up to 30 over to next year. I have 51 days I could spend this year.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #906 on: June 19, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »

Why not? The Paid Holidays we have now are because they've been mandated. Maybe mandated isn't the right word, but passed by law. If your state passes a law that states Juneteenth as a paid holiday, then it will be.

That's not true.  There is NO holiday on which every employer is required by law to pay employees.

For starters, you have to distinguish between hourly employees and salaried employees.  Salaried employees get paid regardless of when and how often they work.  They are typically allowed a certain number of days off for vacation or sickness.  Hourly employees, on the other hand, don't get paid unless they work, UNLESS...

Members of labor unions are different.  Government employees are also different.  Hourly employees in both of those groups may get paid for days when they don't work (and/or may be entitled to extra pay for working on certain days).

Now...there are federal holidays (11 of them):  new year's day; MLK day; Washington's birthday (not presidents' day); memorial day; juneteenth; independence day; labor day; Columbus day; veterans' day; Thanksgiving; Christmas.  Those are days when federal offices are closed.  Whether hourly federal employees get paid for those days is something I don't know.

Each state also has state holidays.  Most adopt most of the federal holidays and add a couple of their own:  for example, California has Cesar Chavez day.  Federal offices may be open on state holidays that aren't also federal holidays.  Again, whether hourly state employees get paid on those days is something I don't know (even for California).

Each employer may have its own list of holidays.  My employer gives us most of the federal holidays, but when I started, we didn't get MLK day or presidents' day.  However, we have always gotten a "spring holiday," which always happens to coincide with good Friday.  We also always get the day after Thanksgiving.  I don't actually know if our hourly employees are paid on those days, but if they are, it's not because of any legal requirement that they be paid.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #907 on: June 19, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »

That's not true.  There is NO holiday on which every employer is required by law to pay employees.

It's not? OK.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: June 19, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »
Are we talking full time employees, casual employees?

Over here casuals wouldn't get paid the public holidays unless they work.  Me as a full timer, it's standard that we don't work the public holidays but we still get paid.  Anyone as a full time employee would get paid the holiday and not work.  I've worked on public holidays and gotten my normal pay but put in overtime for the holiday.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: June 20, 2022, 07:14:01 AM »

I spent 16 years as a Store Manager for my company. 5.5 years in Non Union stores and 10.5 in Union stores, and I must say, there was literally no difference that I could tell.

Now I'm not supporting unions in any way. They look at members or especially potential members as nothing but dues generating product. I suppose, that's not all that different than how employers view employees when you think about it.

The difference is, we should all recognize that companies have their own agenda - by law, more or less, they are obligated to generate revenue - but unions only exist for the workers benefit.  That's it.  A company viewing their employees as a revenue generator is consistent with their end goals.  The unions taking that same approach is a material conflict of interest.

Sorry; I don't mean to hammer you personally here; having been a construction guy for most of my (early life), I'm not a fan of unions.