Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177144 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Very cool, I rarely play my switch as it is but I kind of want this. I'm going to see how reviews pan out.

Same. I don't think I use my Switch enough to warrant another 300+ euros handheld. But then again, most of that time has been during covid.

Depending on how well these things perform,  I might actually prefer it over a hypothetical Switch 2. The majority of games I play on Switch are older games and indies, which are found on steam for bargain prices. Nintendo games are great, but there are already more great games out there than there is time.

I have like 150 games in my steam library, so that helps.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #946 on: July 15, 2021, 01:44:49 PM »
It's a nice idea certainly, but I think my switch has me covered. There's few games I play on PC that I would be happy using a joypad for.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: July 15, 2021, 02:10:24 PM »
As someone who does not own a handheld device but has a PC, I think I'd still consider getting a switch just for the diversity of games. That's just me though.  A lot of people in my work chat seem to really like the idea of this steam deck though.  I'm sure there's a market for it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #948 on: July 15, 2021, 02:14:49 PM »
As someone who does not own a handheld device but has a PC, I think I'd still consider getting a switch just for the diversity of games. That's just me though.  A lot of people in my work chat seem to really like the idea of this steam deck though.  I'm sure there's a market for it.

If the dock that allows you to connect USB peripherals also allows for HDMI out, I can see it being a pretty appealing device.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #949 on: July 15, 2021, 04:39:08 PM »
They missed a golden opportunity to use the Zen 3 APU instead of the Zen 2 that it's using. They could have got way more performance with less power draw. I guess that will be for the SteamDeck 2 next year... :corn

If the dock that allows you to connect USB peripherals also allows for HDMI out, I can see it being a pretty appealing device.
The dock has 3 USB ports, HDMI, Displayport, and ethernet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #950 on: July 15, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »
So as someone who's out of the loop with both switch and this, how do these work and what's the diffrence between the two?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #951 on: July 15, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
Switch - portable console by nintendo. Only plays games bought on cartridge or on Nintendo's store.

SteamDeck - Basically a laptop squeezed into a controller. More open, normal PC software.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2021, 02:45:38 AM »
Switch - portable console by nintendo. Only plays games bought on cartridge or on Nintendo's store.

SteamDeck - Basically a laptop squeezed into a controller. More open, normal PC software.
Oh ok, I thought it was some kind of streaming hardware service or something.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2021, 06:30:16 AM »
Steam Deck: First Hands-On With Valve’s Handheld Gaming PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLtiRGTZvGM

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2021, 07:01:14 AM »
Looks beefy. I'm really curious how the independent reviews will shake out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »
For some reason I can't get Alan Wake to run properly on my laptop. Not a gaming laptop, but it should be able to run this game well (Lenovo slim 7, gtx 1650). For some reason the framerate counter is at 60 but the framepacing is all over the place, making it near unplayable. Now playing it at my Series X. The 720p looks rough on my tv, but everything else works well.

It is one of those things I really want, but my subconscious is telling me not to waste more money on gaming devices.

Maybe if I played all the (to me) relevant Switch games, I will consider selling it and buying a Deck, depending on reviews and support.

Online faizoff

« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2021, 07:40:29 AM »

That was a great video. Interesting comment from one of the designers that this should be thought of as a PC with a controller rather than a console like the Switch. Connecting it to a monitor and keyboard as a regular PC is a pretty big plus, and the fact that you can wipe the drive and install Windows or Linux on it if you wish can be a big deal.

I'm still thinking it's going to be more niche than mainstream by the way they are marketing this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2021, 08:06:03 AM »
So I'm really intrigued by this Cronus Zen, thing.    Will it help, for example, on games like Injustice?  Will it help with getting the Zombie trophies on CoD?  I know, I know, I'm such a dad when it comes to gaming...   :) :)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2021, 08:18:08 AM »

That was a great video. Interesting comment from one of the designers that this should be thought of as a PC with a controller rather than a console like the Switch. Connecting it to a monitor and keyboard as a regular PC is a pretty big plus, and the fact that you can wipe the drive and install Windows or Linux on it if you wish can be a big deal.

I'm still thinking it's going to be more niche than mainstream by the way they are marketing this.

I'm getting pretty excited about this. I'm going to reserve it today.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #959 on: July 20, 2021, 10:26:01 AM »
Since I'm a PS Plus member, A Plague Tale was available for free download.  Quite an interesting game, even though the only hand held weapon is a slingshot.  Rats!!   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #960 on: July 20, 2021, 12:24:46 PM »
Since I'm a PS Plus member, A Plague Tale was available for free download.  Quite an interesting game, even though the only hand held weapon is a slingshot.  Rats!!   :lol
That's probably going to be the next game I play. I don't know much about it other than it seems to have a great atmosphere and a very interesting setting. Can't wait to start it soon.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #961 on: July 20, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
I think it is a great game and I was very impressed that a lower budget non-AAA studio made this. It sometimes kinda feels like a medieval The Last of Us. And the crafting and gameplay was more involved than I was expecting, sometimes feeling like an action horror game. I thought it was going to be more of a "walking sim" before I played it. Looking forward to the sequel.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #962 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
The sequel is looking like it's getting a much larger budget. Which can only mean good things, unless they spend all the extra money on hookers and blow.... :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #963 on: July 23, 2021, 04:20:54 AM »
Yay, the rumors were true.  :heart Sure a Dead Space 4 with the same focus would've been more exciting but still though.

Dead Space Official Teaser Trailer

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #964 on: July 23, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »
Dead Space 2 is one of my favourite games. A very highly polished Resident Evil 4 type of rollercoaster ride. Very glad that the series is at least getting a remake.

That said, I am still a bit sad that the original developer team got shafted so hard. I genuinely think they could've been a forefront AAA game developer, rivaling Sony's best studios, had EA not messed with them to the degree they did.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: July 23, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
Battlefield 2042 Portal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4qWMcQfOCc

Seeing some remastered stuff from 1942 I'm sold.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
Dead Space 2 is one of my favourite games. A very highly polished Resident Evil 4 type of rollercoaster ride. Very glad that the series is at least getting a remake.

That said, I am still a bit sad that the original developer team got shafted so hard. I genuinely think they could've been a forefront AAA game developer, rivaling Sony's best studios, had EA not messed with them to the degree they did.

What happened to the developers?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2021, 08:17:06 AM »
They were forced to include more action-focused gameplay and microtransaction friendly mechanics into Dead Space 3, which caused it to flop, and then were set to work on a Battlefield spin off which forewent most of the features fans expect of a battlefield game, using an engine and gameplay the studio is entirely unfamiliar with, which then also (shockingly) flopped, and were shuttered by EA soon after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSUWFgLWGU

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
Oh, I forgot Visceral was behind Hardline.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #969 on: July 23, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
I actually liked that game. Thought the singleplayer was a nice over the top cop show, with a solid cast fitting that type of plot (I am in the minority here it seems, people tend to dislike the campaign). And I prefer the infantry focused Battlefields, so I played Hardline and 1 the most out of all Battlefields. But seeing how Infinite is my favourite Call of Duty (also mostly due to setting and singleplayer), it seems I prefer the black sheep in online shooter series.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:18:08 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
I never played the Dead Space series because I never owned a PS3.  However, since I'm also a PS Now member, some of those games might be available for streaming.  Although streaming isn't really the optimal way to play.  Looking forward to the remake.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #971 on: July 23, 2021, 10:57:39 AM »
They were forced to include more action-focused gameplay and microtransaction friendly mechanics into Dead Space 3, which caused it to flop, and then were set to work on a Battlefield spin off which forewent most of the features fans expect of a battlefield game, using an engine and gameplay the studio is entirely unfamiliar with, which then also (shockingly) flopped, and were shuttered by EA soon after.

That's too bad. I thought Dead Space 3 was all right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #972 on: July 23, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »
I actually liked that game. Thought the singleplayer was a nice over the top cop show, with a solid cast fitting that type of plot (I am in the minority here it seems, people tend to dislike the campaign). And I prefer the infantry focused Battlefields, so I played Hardline and 1 the most out of all Battlefields. But seeing how Infinite is my favourite Call of Duty (also mostly due to setting and singleplayer), it seems I prefer the black sheep in online shooter series.

My favourite battlefield was 2142, as that straddled the line between infantry and vehicle focus well IMO.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #973 on: July 23, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
For me Dead Space 1 was so captivating and immersive and a breath of fresh air compared to other games I played during that time especially since it was a sci-fi horror game. I enjoyed the sequel too but I never played DS3.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #974 on: July 23, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
For me Dead Space 1 was so captivating and immersive and a breath of fresh air compared to other games I played during that time especially since it was a sci-fi horror game. I enjoyed the sequel too but I never played DS3.

I think the third game is worth playing but I like the second one more and the first a lot more.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #975 on: July 23, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »

I love space stations/colonies gone wrong. Prey (2017), Alien Isolation, and (to some extent) Doom 3 are other examples that I love.

I hope that Callisto Protocol, a scifi horror game headed by one of the people behind Dead Space, will be good. New studio I believe, so it will be interesting how that turns out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: July 23, 2021, 02:06:28 PM »

I love space stations/colonies gone wrong. Prey (2017), Alien Isolation, and (to some extent) Doom 3 are other examples that I love.

I hope that Callisto Protocol, a scifi horror game headed by one of the people behind Dead Space, will be good. New studio I believe, so it will be interesting how that turns out.
I'm with you and it's funny you say that because both Prey and Alien Isolation are two of my favourite sci-fi singleplayer games.

Yea I remember seeing that trailer but i've actually forgotten it, thx for reminding me.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #977 on: July 23, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »

This is what EA does when they are done with a dev studio. They set them up to fail, then give them the axe.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #978 on: July 23, 2021, 08:34:23 PM »
Anyone watching the Tokyo Olympic Opening Ceremony?

They're playing orchestral versions of some Video Games, like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts and others. I noticed when I heard the music from Soul Caliber.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline krands85

« Reply #979 on: July 24, 2021, 07:11:15 AM »
I heard some Sonic music  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww