Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177379 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #770 on: April 11, 2021, 02:33:34 PM »
The new oddworld game soulstorm just came out. Looks awesome, still can't find a PS5 though and the PS4 version is too rough performance wise. So I'll just enjoy it from a distance for the time being I guess.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #771 on: April 11, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
I dunno, I totally get wanting to adapt broadly the same story for a TV show, because as big as gaming is these days, there's a huge potential audience to watch a show like that who would not play the game. The fact that they want to do it properly is awesome.

This apparent "remake" for the PS5 when the game isn't even that old just sounds... weird. Unless they just mean a graphical overhaul or something, in which case fine.

I agree that a tv show makes sense businesswise. Not my preference, but an HBO series with these names involved can potentially reach a huge audience that could dwarf the amount of gamers that played TLOU.

As for the game, I can only see an actual remake be "worth" it if they want to approach the level of fidelity on display in part II. And if they really want to go the road of changing actors (I sincerely doubt this, but for the sake of amusement I am imagining it), then that would just be so weird in my eyes. What would then be next I wonder, a model swap for part II and two versions of a hypothetical part III?

Keep in mind this is all a rumor at this point, so perhaps it really just is a more involved remaster, along with an upgrade of part II for the PS5 or something (akin to Uncharted 1-3 on PS4, where 1 and 2 got a lot of subtle but notable work and 3 was more or less a direct port).

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #772 on: April 11, 2021, 06:20:14 PM »
yeah it's weird there's hasn't any upates to part 2 for PS5,  most big titles have gotten 60 fps and things like that.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #773 on: April 12, 2021, 05:58:56 AM »
I also don't understand the need to remake Last of Us 1. You can already buythe PS4 remaster and play it on the PS5 and it still looks good. So weird.
Seems to me like a PS5 60FPS patch for both games would be worth way more.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #775 on: April 14, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »
big system update to the PS5 today.  I'm glad they added the option to have HDR switch on only when supported by the game instead of brute forcing it on everything or shutting it off completely.   I think that's how it worked on PS4 pro / slim anyway so it kind of annoyed me from the start.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
April 21st at Noon seems to be the long awaited Nuke Event in Call of Duty Warzone.

One of the coolest things about Warzone since it was released a little over a year ago were all the hints of a nuclear bomb going off.  The hints mounted up every season and it created kind of a interesting story within the battle royale game.  It seems it's finally going to happen.

Sadly, the rumor seems to be that when the map (Verdansk) blows up, it's going to take the game back in time to an 80s version of the same map  :facepalm: They had so many leaks of a completely new map that everyone badly wants and if we only get a modified version of the same map, I think a lot of people are going to be PISSED after a full year.

Having said that... the rumors for the next Battlefield seems like that game could be in position to knock Call of Duty off it's pedestal and I really hope so.  EA really is primed if they can make a good BR mode to make A LOT of money.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: April 15, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
That nuke event sounds pretty awesome, I need to get back into warzone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: April 15, 2021, 01:50:59 PM »
That nuke event sounds pretty awesome, I need to get back into warzone.

All this talk of PTO in other threads is making me think about burning a day to be able to play the nuke event.  The last in game event close to this (when the stadium blew open) was really awesome to watch on twitch with all the streamers playing it, but by the time I got home it was over and I never got to play it myself.  I kind of want to be able to play the game when this happens.  But I don't know if its worth the PTO

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: April 16, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Downloading warzone now

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: April 16, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
Downloading warzone now

You'll be able to play tomorrow  :lol the game size is such a joke

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: April 16, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
Yea no kidding lol, the only game I have installed that's bigger in size is flight simulator which simulates the entire world :lol.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2021, 06:44:43 AM »
I have been playing way too much Minecraft for my own health.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #783 on: April 20, 2021, 01:55:00 PM »
Not sure how long this will last, as the action has existed for a while now, but there are several games for free on the PS4.

Search for Play at Home in the PSN store. This includes games like Horizon, Subnautica, Abzu, Enter The Gungeon and a bunch of VR stuff.

You do not need PS plus and apparently claimed games are permanent additions to your library.

Oh, and most of these games are very good.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #784 on: April 20, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
Do you remember any of the VR titles you saw?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #785 on: April 20, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »
Do you remember any of the VR titles you saw?

Astrobot, Moss, Thumper, Paper Beast, Rez Infinite.

You can still claim them today and tomorrow, I think the offer for the VR games ends on thursday.

Edit: You should be able to add these games to your library on the browser PSN store as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: April 21, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »
Love how #Verdansk was trending on twitter!

Limited time where you can play the nuclear event that destroys the map as it gets overran by Zombies.  Pretty cool. Like not the most fun game mode and it really has no winner, but was cool to play and experience.

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1384954445688188938

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: April 22, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
I'm pissed at myself for missing this. I actually set a meeting reminder on my work calendar to remember to sign into warzone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »
You didn't miss too much, but the whole event itself is kind of fun.  One more hour until the "new" map goes live. But after the event, playing on Verdansk was unavailable (since it just got nuked) and they had a night time mode on rebirth island as the only option to play, but they updated the map a bit AND you could see the nuke going off in the distance which was quite cool! I'm a big fan of the rebirth island game modes so that had me pretty excited.  I'm guessing the night mode of the island goes away in an hour and it's back to playing on either the updated rebirth island map OR the updated Verdansk 1984 map.  Sadly, the leaked video of the new map doesn't look like they changed much at all.  People say it's just a "reskin" of the map, 3 new points of interest, but its majority the same map.... I guess I'll stick to rebirth island which was much more fun at this point.  Got a triple kill victory in the dark last night on that one, maybe my next youtube video since I'm guessing that mode was a short lived one.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: April 23, 2021, 06:25:40 AM »
I just watched some videos on the map and it does look similar. I'll have to play some Saturday night. I've been out of the loop for a while. When I fired the game up a few days ago I didn't even realize they changed the gulag :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: April 23, 2021, 07:58:41 AM »
It's legit the same map with some minor changes, but the biggest change is the color scheme.  It looks terrible IMO.  Ugh, I think I'll just stick to rebirth island, but sadly they removed all the updates to the island?!  I don't understand what is wrong with these devs.  The one positive, and I didn't play enough yesterday to really experience this, but I am reading from others that the new "meta" is actually really good and that there is significant weapon rebalancing so there actually may not be a "meta" anymore.  I'm not entirely sure I believe that, but reading the patch notes, the weapon rebalancing might be the best update for season 3. Oh and they added DLSS support which I need to experiment with.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #791 on: April 24, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
My stepchild got Days Gone for free for Playstation. I don't know if it's still free. Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't played the game yet.

I played Days Gone when it first came out and enjoyed it. I think they updated it a bunch and it's even better now. Gyro aiming is one of the updates they did. I'm a big fan of gyro aiming with my Steam Controller.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #792 on: April 24, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
My stepchild got Days Gone for free for Playstation. I don't know if it's still free. Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't played the game yet.

I played Days Gone when it first came out and enjoyed it. I think they updated it a bunch and it's even better now. Gyro aiming is one of the updates they did. I'm a big fan of gyro aiming with my Steam Controller.

I finished it on PS5 about a month ago. I really enjoyed it overall. Was surprised to see that it probably won't get a sequel, although I also don't personally think it needs one.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #793 on: April 24, 2021, 12:29:32 PM »

I think it’s free only if you have the monthly subscription to PS plus

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »
Yes Days Gone is this months PSplus game. And I really love the game. Apparently no sequel is in the works, as it did not review well enough. That actually really sucks for me, as I enjoyed It more than even Horizon and Spider-Man, though I do understand why those fared better.

And talking about PS games, Returnal looks really cool.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #795 on: April 24, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
Managed to snag a Series X when Microsoft re-stocked the the other night, should be here sometime next week :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #796 on: April 24, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »

I finished it on PS5 about a month ago. I really enjoyed it overall. Was surprised to see that it probably won't get a sequel, although I also don't personally think it needs one.

Why don't you think it needs a sequel?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2021, 07:04:44 AM »
It's legit the same map with some minor changes, but the biggest change is the color scheme.  It looks terrible IMO.  Ugh, I think I'll just stick to rebirth island, but sadly they removed all the updates to the island?!  I don't understand what is wrong with these devs.  The one positive, and I didn't play enough yesterday to really experience this, but I am reading from others that the new "meta" is actually really good and that there is significant weapon rebalancing so there actually may not be a "meta" anymore.  I'm not entirely sure I believe that, but reading the patch notes, the weapon rebalancing might be the best update for season 3. Oh and they added DLSS support which I need to experiment with.

Oh bummer. I'll fire it up and play some today to check it out, I went through the trouble of downloading all 9 million gigs of it :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2021, 10:37:55 AM »

Don't get me wrong, there are interesting possibilities for a sequel and the game pretty much sets one up with one of its epilogue missions. I certainly wouldn't complain if a sequel happened. I just don't think it needs one, you know? I personally felt as though the main story threads I cared about were wrapped up just fine.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »

Don't get me wrong, there are interesting possibilities for a sequel and the game pretty much sets one up with one of its epilogue missions. I certainly wouldn't complain if a sequel happened. I just don't think it needs one, you know? I personally felt as though the main story threads I cared about were wrapped up just fine.

I see what you're saying. I remember the story of the main character was resolved...I think.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #800 on: April 26, 2021, 02:17:43 AM »
The core storylines of the characters and their relationships are all/mostly resolved. And you achieve what are ultimately the main goals of the character. So I am fine with the ending. The biggest sequelbait is actually an optional epilogue mission.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #801 on: April 26, 2021, 06:20:44 AM »
Bought the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes for 35 euros total on Xbox. Seems like a good pricepoint, given their limited length. How different is Claires playthrough?

(Did a bit of Leon a while back on PS4, but since traded my copy because I already had a big horror backlog that I decided to tackle first)

Also to be fair, these games apparently do not count inventory work and cutscenes towards cleartime, making the experiences longer than the timer says at the end. This is unlike some other games.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:31:51 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #802 on: April 26, 2021, 07:13:44 AM »
Claire is different enough to be satisfying, but not as different as it was in the original RE2. For remake, you get an entire new Sherry section which is pretty cool.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #803 on: April 26, 2021, 08:41:28 AM »
It's amazing how well the Switch holds its value. I'm trying to snag a used Lite model, and at best they're $20 under new.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #804 on: April 26, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »
I ended up just ordering a new one with a 128GB micro sd card. Because I'm impatient and wanted it on Wednesday, I had to choose between yellow and coral. I went with Yellow. I would have loved that new blue one that's coming out on 5/21, but who knows when I might actually be able to score one. I'm sure it's going to move like hot cakes. I have no clue why I bought one. I played games on my PS4 for maybe 90 minutes in the last year. I think I wanted something mainly for when I'm sitting outside in my gazebo and tending to my cookers.

I've never actually played a Zelda game in any capacity (the ti-83 plus version I had on my calculator in 8th grade doesn't count). I'm thinking of maybe grabbing Breath of the Wild and seeing what it's all about.

Question for anyone with a Switch - Are all Nintendo titles available for download rather than having to use a cartridge?