Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167032 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #630 on: February 05, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
I played it a couple times. I don't remember the gunplay being that bad. I liked the unlimited ammo idea.

While the "heatsinks" from ME2 did make the gunplay more fluid, from a lore perspective, I really wished they'd allow you to default back to the ME1 model when you ran out of heatsinks.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #631 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »
Is the remastered version going to use those heat clips in the first game?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #632 on: February 05, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »
I think this upcoming Honda looks good but alas, it'll most likely be too tall for me.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/further-confirmation-of-honda-nt1100/

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #633 on: February 05, 2021, 12:04:36 PM »
I think this upcoming Honda looks good but alas, it'll most likely be too tall for me.

Can you just change the height of your character?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #634 on: February 05, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

Can you just change the height of your character?

Damn. Herrick posted in the wrong thread.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #635 on: February 15, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »
Playing Link's Awakening on switch. Very nice game. In terms of powerups and leveldesign it does not offer much surprises, but given this is one of the games that laid the groundwork, that makes sense. But what it does, it does almost perfectly. No obtuse of non-fun dungeons/puzzles here, it paces very well and does a lot with such a little map. It also has a lot of weird little cameo's and secrets in it, which I appreciate. The game lacks a lot of polish though. The framerate is noticeably bad in many instances, regardless of tv/handheld mode. And when moving a lot of things flicker, which is quite apparent on my tv, kind of impairing the charming graphical style. I also have had many, many items drop out of reach, which is kind of annoying.

Overall I can highly reccomend it, with the caveat that I feel this game is much more comparable to a 20-30ish dollar indie game (which has nothing to do with quality, more with production values), rather than the full blown 60 dollar pricetag Nintendo asks for it. I hope Nintendo gives the Oracle games the same treatment. Knowing Nintendo both will be 60, but both of them in a single remake would be good value in my opinion.

And talking about indies, I played these recently:
-Gato Roboto - very fun 6-hour metroidvania. I like a short experience that feels like a full adventure, which this is.
-Donut Country - nice idea and overall a good experience, but for me personally I think they could've done more with the gameplay. The ending sequence opens up a bit and feels more involved, which I would've loved for earlier levels as well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2021, 08:05:22 AM »
Links awakening was awesome in its day when I was playing it on the Game Boy color, but I agree it should absolutely not be $60 full priced game. Its a 30 year old game boy game with a fresh coat of paint and a decent amount of polish, but at its core its still a game boy game.

But anywho, I finished Hitman 3 and overall it was an awesome experience, with the Detective level being maybe my favorite of the whole series. Berlin was a little underwhelming, especially assassinating random agents, but enjoyed everything else.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »
Links awakening was awesome in its day when I was playing it on the Game Boy color, but I agree it should absolutely not be $60 full priced game. Its a 30 year old game boy game with a fresh coat of paint and a decent amount of polish, but at its core its still a game boy game.

But anywho, I finished Hitman 3 and overall it was an awesome experience, with the Detective level being maybe my favorite of the whole series. Berlin was a little underwhelming, especially assassinating random agents, but enjoyed everything else.

Makes sense as the Switch is the evolution of the gameboy. It made the gameboy obsolete, and a nostalgia product now.

Playing Link's Awakening on switch. Very nice game. In terms of powerups and leveldesign it does not offer much surprises, but given this is one of the games that laid the groundwork, that makes sense. But what it does, it does almost perfectly. No obtuse of non-fun dungeons/puzzles here, it paces very well and does a lot with such a little map. It also has a lot of weird little cameo's and secrets in it, which I appreciate. The game lacks a lot of polish though. The framerate is noticeably bad in many instances, regardless of tv/handheld mode. And when moving a lot of things flicker, which is quite apparent on my tv, kind of impairing the charming graphical style. I also have had many, many items drop out of reach, which is kind of annoying.

Overall I can highly reccomend it, with the caveat that I feel this game is much more comparable to a 20-30ish dollar indie game (which has nothing to do with quality, more with production values), rather than the full blown 60 dollar pricetag Nintendo asks for it. I hope Nintendo gives the Oracle games the same treatment. Knowing Nintendo both will be 60, but both of them in a single remake would be good value in my opinion.

-Gato Roboto - very fun 6-hour metroidvania. I like a short experience that feels like a full adventure, which this is.
-Donut Country - nice idea and overall a good experience, but for me personally I think they could've done more with the gameplay. The ending sequence opens up a bit and feels more involved, which I would've loved for earlier levels as well.

It would be awesome to see The Oracles given the same treatment as Links Awakening. I would instantly buy that, but don't think two separate games would bode well, if priced the same as Links Awakening. It would be cool to have a bundle
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »
I played Link's Awakening on the OG Gameboy. I still remember that music at the end. The ending was kind of sad :(

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #639 on: February 16, 2021, 06:29:35 AM »
At the very least I am hoping for a Zelda collection or something this year, since this year is the series 35th anniversary. I have never played some of them or barely played them. And I haven't owned most of them (for example, I played the Wind Waker at a friends house a lot, but never experienced it on my own and in full). Hopefully a better package than the Mario rom dump from last year. But since there are a couple of recent Zelda remakes and actual remasters, that shouldn't require much more effort. Since Nintendo loves to port WiiU titles, I am fully expecting Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD to hit the Switch.

I tried Twilight Princess last year on the Wii, but lost interest. Even with component the image quality sucked and I did not like the Wii controls. Game itself seemed nice.

Makes sense as the Switch is the evolution of the gameboy. It made the gameboy obsolete, and a nostalgia product now.

It would be awesome to see The Oracles given the same treatment as Links Awakening. I would instantly buy that, but don't think two separate games would bode well, if priced the same as Links Awakening. It would be cool to have a bundle

Yeah, it would be nice. I played Oracle of Ages a lot as a kid, but never Seasons. And I was a ten year old kid when that came out, so it is not like it is fresh in my memories.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »
I have played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask a ton, and then also played Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess once a piece. I enjoy all of them to some degree, but I also think that a big part of it is nostalgia. Zelda was a huge part of my childhood, and some of my fondest memories are waking up early each morning in the summer to go play Ocarina of Time with my friends. I would like to play Breath of the Wild at some point because it has such a great reputation.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #641 on: February 16, 2021, 07:59:46 PM »
My brother was the one to get into zelda. I was into fighting games at the time of the 64, and Banjo and Kazooie, I never really bought a game for it, I would rent them a lot at blockbuster though. Then I bought a PlayStation and pretty much put the 64 on the backend, that's when my brother got a hold of it and claimed it as his, since I wasn't playing it as much, so he rented games for that system.

I ended up buying Ages, and a bit later my brother got a gameboy advance and Seasons. He then beat that, played ages and did the main Ganon end. It was actually his entrance into the Zelda world and has been a fan since.

If they remade the Oracles...he'd explode in joy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: February 16, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »
I always owned a Nintendo, up through Wii (never got a WiiU, just got a Switch), but never owned a handheld. So I played Link's Awakening, the Oracles, and Minish Cap much later via emulation. I never enjoyed them nearly as much as the console games, but part of that may have been to me playing them way out of release order. There were so many parts in LA that just weren't intuitive to me.

Just started BotW. I do not have much time to commit to gaming so I imagine I will be at this for a long while.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: February 17, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
I was the luckiest man on Rebirth Island last night in COD Warzone... the last team had me downed, but for some reason decided not to finish me off and instead tried to revive their last teammate I downed.... just for me to self revive and kill the last person  :rollin https://clips.twitch.tv/FilthyPopularBottleCurseLit-HbYrha6Ot8KFZHHJ I don't think I've ever seen a game ending play from such a stupid decision.  Thank you!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: February 17, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
Has anyone here tried Valheim yet? I have about 10 hours in and my brother is running a server for us to play. The game is a lot of fun and really improves on other survival crafting games.

You are a viking that is spawned on a massive procedurally generated map where you can start building your home get getting gear to fight bosses that you can summon. At first blush the game mechanics seem shallow but as you progress there is a lot of depth to it as well as some really smart decisions in regards to crafting. For example when you destruct items you get the cost back 100%, when you build weapons you can repair them for free, it helps the game from feeling like a chore.

I highly recommend checking it out for anyone who is interested in games similar to The Forest.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: February 17, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
I've heard good things about Valheim, but I'm generally not into survival games.  My friend (who loves anything viking related) is loving it, not surprisingly.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: February 17, 2021, 02:42:04 PM »
I think one nice thing about Valheim is while there are survival components to it you won't die from doing nothing. You have base health and all eating does is buff your health, for a long time too. It's like survival lite.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #647 on: February 17, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »
Talking about Zelda, Nintendo just announced the ten year old Skyward Sword as a full 60 dollar release. I never played  it and the stick controls look interesting, but god this is so damn cheap of them. I feel every time they explore just how bare minimum they can go with re-releases.

And a 3DS game, Miitopia, as a near full price release as well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #648 on: February 17, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
Never played skyward sword, so I'll get the switch version. $60 is rough a 10 year old game though  :P

I avoided the original mainly because I really dislike motion controls, but the handheld mode set up looks like something I can get down with.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:39:09 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: February 17, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
I really wanted to like Skyward Sword. And I really didn't.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #650 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:50 AM »
I am playing The Messenger. Finished the first half and that was truly great.

There is kind of a gameplay twist in the middle and I have played a bit of the second part. Let's see how it compares.

(Spoiler? --> The first half is a linear 8bit NES game and the second half is a metroidvania 16bit SNES game in style).

I really wanted to like Skyward Sword. And I really didn't.

What made the game less enjoyable to you? I am hearing a lot of conflicting things about the title. At it's core, it always looked like a fairly regular 3d Zelda, with more elaborate motion controls.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: February 18, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
I know Skyward Sword gets a lot of hate, And I kind of understand why. I actually liked the game just as much as any other 3-d Zelda game. It's different, but in a good way (IMO). With that said, not sure that I will get it for the switch. I am excited for the Hyrules Warriors DLC though.

I was really hoping for a BOTW announcement, but instead we got the "you have to wait a little longer" BS.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #652 on: February 18, 2021, 06:39:54 PM »
I think a lot of the criticism surrounding Skyward Sword was simply from the formula being kinda stale. Go to dungeon, get special item, defeat boss in specific way with item and so forth. Even me, who's been a Zelda mega fan my entire life slept on skyward sword. Its the first game in the series that I ignored and didn't finish.

Luckily, they realized this and made something totally fresh with Breath of the wild.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:20 PM »
I think a lot of the criticism surrounding Skyward Sword was simply from the formula being kinda stale. Go to dungeon, get special item, defeat boss in specific way with item and so forth.

This sums it well for me. Not every game in a franchise needs to raise the bar to a new standard, but I felt like I played this game already, just more enjoyable versions.

Plus, Fi.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #654 on: February 19, 2021, 01:32:36 AM »
Ah, well for me it has been ages since I properly played that formula. Except for Twilight Princess, but that had more to do with playing on the Wii in modern days, And the tuturial sections were a bit much, but I can deal with that for longer form games.

I will probably buy SS on the Switch second handed later this year, as I did with Link's Awakening.

Really looking forward to BotW2, I assume this is an end of the year title.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: February 19, 2021, 01:44:02 AM »
Bought A Plague Tale on the Steam Chinese New Years sale.

Have become really addicted to this one. Love the way that Amicia is so weak in combat that you often have to use other means to take out enemies.
Love the storytelling and the graphics.... love the rats, and hate them depending on.

Really nice sneak-em up action adventure

Starting to reach the end though.....

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #656 on: February 19, 2021, 04:23:15 AM »
I don't like the particular anime style, but those detective games from Nintendo look interesting. Apparently they are some kind of proto-ace attorney like titles from the NES generation.

Bought A Plague Tale on the Steam Chinese New Years sale.

Have become really addicted to this one. Love the way that Amicia is so weak in combat that you often have to use other means to take out enemies.
Love the storytelling and the graphics.... love the rats, and hate them depending on.

Really nice sneak-em up action adventure

Starting to reach the end though.....

It really is a great experience. And it showed good looking linear cinematic games of decent length are possible on a low budget. It kind of reminds me of a mixture between The Last of Us and a walking sim with puzzles.

I actually randomly pre-ordered this one because the bonus was a limited edition full sized vinyl. And I though that was a super cool preorder bonus, wasn't even a full priced title.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
My half brother gave me his Wii and i.) The Legend of Zelda twilight Princess and ii.) Skyward Sword.

I love Twilight Princess and I forgot it was so massive. I play it every day and started on Jan 3rd. I'm 40 hours in and i'm still making my way through the temples.

I didn't like Skyward Sword the last time I played it - but now I have lots of time to spare - I'll give it another go.

I just hate having to aim quickly on Wii though. It's terrible. I much preferred playing twilight princess on GameCube and having an actual joypad.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #658 on: February 19, 2021, 03:46:56 PM »
I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again but this time on the PC. It's so nice to use gyro aiming on my Steam Controller. I barely have to use Dead Eye. The aiming was horrendous on the PS4.

Mang, I forgot how beautiful this game is and how R* got so many things right...and a few wrong. I wish there was a working mod that gives Arthur the ability to walk faster outdoors like he can in camp and indoors. I've no idea why R* decided to limit walking speed outdoors. Kills the immersion for Herrick when I can only do a slow grandpa stroll with nothing in between that speed and that goofy jog.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #659 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:54 PM »
I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again but this time on the PC. It's so nice to use gyro aiming on my Steam Controller. I barely have to use Dead Eye. The aiming was horrendous on the PS4.

Mang, I forgot how beautiful this game is and how R* got so many things right...and a few wrong. I wish there was a working mod that gives Arthur the ability to walk faster outdoors like he can in camp and indoors. I've no idea why R* decided to limit walking speed outdoors. Kills the immersion for Herrick when I can only do a slow grandpa stroll with nothing in between that speed and that goofy jog.

Not sure if they ever fixed it, but the console versions had ridiculous input lag. I believe measurements were like 3-4 times the input lag of most AAA titles that year. And then on top of that the animation priority. Meaning it is hard to adjust you aim because it was not responsive. All Rockstar games have this to some degree, but Red Dead was sluggish as hell.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #660 on: February 19, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »

Not sure if they ever fixed it, but the console versions had ridiculous input lag. I believe measurements were like 3-4 times the input lag of most AAA titles that year. And then on top of that the animation priority. Meaning it is hard to adjust you aim because it was not responsive. All Rockstar games have this to some degree, but Red Dead was sluggish as hell.

I haven't used the analog stick to aim very much. I can't compare it to how it was on consoles. Gyro aiming feels great though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »
Diablo II resurrected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W41NvIgeKX0

I hope it turns out decent

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 21, 2021, 07:36:58 AM »
Hopefully, apparently the team handling this is really good so fingers crossed it doesn't end up like the complete disaster that WC3 Reforged was.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: February 21, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »
When it comes to Blizzard games, I don't believe anything until its out and in the hands of gamers nowadays.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #664 on: February 21, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
Looks good. I'm not sure I could play through Diablo II again though. I like those types of games but I always get bored from the clicking and I don't finish them...except for Diablo I & II.