Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165674 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #595 on: January 23, 2021, 03:38:04 PM »
I'm taking a break from Cyberpunk after hitting a bug that won't let me progress, I'm about 25 hours into the game. I've started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and I'm really enjoying it albeit it's a bit cheesy so far. I'm not really into stealth games so I'm going guns blazing where I can.

Which bug is it?

Gonna try and keep this spoiler free, its in the GIM trying to get the van...

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #596 on: January 23, 2021, 05:20:08 PM »
I'm taking a break from Cyberpunk after hitting a bug that won't let me progress, I'm about 25 hours into the game. I've started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and I'm really enjoying it albeit it's a bit cheesy so far. I'm not really into stealth games so I'm going guns blazing where I can.

Which bug is it?

Gonna try and keep this spoiler free, its in the GIM trying to get the van...

Hmm...I finished the game but I don't remember that part.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #597 on: January 24, 2021, 09:04:31 AM »
Decided to buy Hitman 3 for the good old PS4, because I own all previous titles and DLC on that platform and also own a PSVR. And the profile transfer went well, from 2 to 3.

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised how well Hitman 3 runs on a PS4pro. I use the 1080p/60 fps mode and it looks surprisingly clean on my LG CX. Not a shoddy last gen effort at all. Loading times are decent as well. Also, the HDR mode in this game seems more beautiful than SDR, in Hitman 2 this was the other way around.

Game also seems nice, but as with Hitman 2, I ended up checking out old maps first and doing some stuff I hadn't yet done. Intro map of 3 is nice, more of a full featured one than 1 and 2 and it looks hella cool, but still an intro map.

Edit: unfortunately HDR in a lot of instances looks washed out now that I played more maps (in darker maps this becomes obvious), so I have to take that mention back.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:48:44 PM by ErHaO »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #598 on: January 24, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
Decided to buy Hitman 3 for the good old PS4, because I own all previous titles and DLC on that platform and also own a PSVR. And the profile transfer went well, from 2 to 3.

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised how well Hitman 3 runs on a PS4pro. I use the 1080p/60 fps mode and it looks surprisingly clean on my LG CX. Not a shoddy last gen effort at all. Loading times are decent as well. Also, the HDR mode in this game seems more beautiful than SDR, in Hitman 2 this was the other way around.

Game also seems nice, but as with Hitman 2, I ended up checking out old maps first and doing some stuff I hadn't yet done. Intro map of 3 is nice, more of a full featured one than 1 and 2 and it looks hella cool, but still an intro map.

Edit: unfortunately HDR in a lot of instances looks washed out now that I played more maps (in darker maps this becomes obvious), so I have to take that mention back.
Most of the time when I see people complaining about HDR being washed out, it's usually either an incorrect setting on the TV or the TV isn't calibrated properly. HDR looks bad most of the time if the TV isn't professionally calibrated.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #599 on: January 25, 2021, 07:05:40 AM »

Most of the time when I see people complaining about HDR being washed out, it's usually either an incorrect setting on the TV or the TV isn't calibrated properly. HDR looks bad most of the time if the TV isn't professionally calibrated.

There have been a lot of complaints online. But it isn't just HDR actually, the SDR mode has a slight washyness to it as well. And in the menus everything looks great, it is gameplay only. I don't know if there are version differences (base consoles, enhanced consoles, next gen, pc). Either way, almost all other PS4pro HDR games look great with my current settings, especially most Sony games (Detroid, God of War, Horizon etc.).

But my complain was mostly for the second Hitman 3 map, did not have any issues with Dubai. Will check SDR vs HDR in Berlin. And I will go back to Hitman 2 to compare, because I haven't checked HDR in that game on my current tv (LG CX).

I also haven't checked HGIG on the PS4pro yet. Maybe that will help.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #600 on: January 26, 2021, 03:34:04 AM »
Enjoying Hitman 3. I will say I think the maps from 1 and 2 are probably better, but 3 has it's own advantages. It most certainly adds a bunch of cool maps to what in my opinion is the best service/package in gaming.

I love how the second map of Hitman 3 contains a classic family murder mystery and allows you to be a detective, searching rooms and questioning people. It basically turns into kind of an adventure game when you follow that plot. Took me a while as well to really gather all the evidence, it has to be the most involved in-map story in Hitman.

Kinda feel like a clown going back and forth, but my issues really only seem to apply on the second map, Darthmoor. I spent like 4 or more hours doing all kinds of stuff in that map, so that was my main Hitman 3 experience.

Berlin looks significantly better in HDR, huge difference actually, with all those disco/party lights really popping and there still being great detail in darker environments. Then booted up some Hitman 1 and 2 maps and they all looked good.

So it appears to be a stylistic thing that kind of bothers me in the second map.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #601 on: January 26, 2021, 06:52:08 AM »
Enjoying Hitman 3. I will say I think the maps from 1 and 2 are probably better, but 3 has it's own advantages. It most certainly adds a bunch of cool maps to what in my opinion is the best service/package in gaming.

I love how the second map of Hitman 3 contains a classic family murder mystery and allows you to be a detective, searching rooms and questioning people. It basically turns into kind of an adventure game when you follow that plot. Took me a while as well to really gather all the evidence, it has to be the most involved in-map story in Hitman.

The 2nd map is probably my favorite because of that very reason. We are on game 3 of this series and its very nice for them to do something cool and different like that help keep it interesting. I hope they do more stuff like that going forward, because it took a game that I really like and turned into one I love.

Really enjoying the game though so far.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:27:42 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #602 on: January 27, 2021, 03:26:59 AM »

The 2nd map is probably my favorite because of that very reason. We are on game 3 of this series and its very nice for them to do something cool and different like that help keep it interesting. I hope they do more stuff like that going forward, because it took a game that I really like and turned into one I love.

Really enjoying the game though so far.

The quality of the more scripted elements and also the music bodes well for their 007 game. I am also glad they returned to animated cutscenes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #603 on: January 27, 2021, 04:31:41 AM »
If funny you should say that, because I was getting strong 007 vibes as I was playing. Like as soon as Dubai started and 47 had that tailored suit on I was like "wow, am I playing a bond game  :lol"

It would be sweet to see this studio get a chance with the Bond license.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #604 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:36 AM »
If funny you should say that, because I was getting strong 007 vibes as I was playing. Like as soon as Dubai started and 47 had that tailored suit on I was like "wow, am I playing a bond game  :lol"

It would be sweet to see this studio get a chance with the Bond license.

Well, that is their next game. They announced it last year. And yes, some Hitman moments really have a 007 feeling.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: January 27, 2021, 05:19:23 AM »
Haven't played much for a while but started again before Christmas with the latest Tombraider.

Then I bought an SSD and a new graphics card wich made the computer so much more suited.

Now I have played a few

Alan Wake
Call of Cthulhu
Heavy Rain

I really liked the Call of Cthulhu game. Anyone have any recommendations on something similar?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #606 on: January 27, 2021, 05:32:47 AM »

Well, that is their next game. They announced it last year. And yes, some Hitman moments really have a 007 feeling.

Oh, I had no idea. Very cool. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #607 on: January 28, 2021, 04:46:02 PM »
I was replaying Dubai before I go to the fourth map, and it is actually a very cool map. And while I was disappointed in the very low amount of mission stories in all maps (except for Dartmoor, as the detective storyline is quite expansive), the non-listed ones can be fairly involved as well. And because they aren't tracked, they require a bit more player knowledge/exploration.

Anyways, I actually have quite a bit of untouched Hitman 1 and 2 sidemissions (most special assignments of 2 and Patient Zero from 1, as well as the majority of escalations). I also have PSVR. So I don't have to worry about running out of content anytime soon.

I turned hudless for Hitman 3 and I must say that works quite well (sound cues for trespassing and other stuff). I do still use "detective vision" though, and button promts are still on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:06 PM »
My daughter's learning pod is shutting down for the time being so she'll be home full time. She is handling it well, but both the families she has been spending her days with have a Switch and she says that's the thing she'll miss the most, especially Just Dance. So I'll be getting one very shortly to help her with the transition and with being stuck and home for an indefinite time. She enjoys Mario Kart 64 so I bet I can get her in to Kart 8 so I don't have to Just Dance with her all the time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #609 on: February 02, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
https://youtu.be/n8i53TtQ6IQ

OMG! :hefdaddy

Looks like Mass Effect 1 is getting a huge upgrade! I also read that a lot of stuff in ME1 is completely redone. Like Mako controls, gunplay and menu interface!

I'm stoked! :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #610 on: February 02, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »
My daughter's learning pod is shutting down for the time being so she'll be home full time. She is handling it well, but both the families she has been spending her days with have a Switch and she says that's the thing she'll miss the most, especially Just Dance. So I'll be getting one very shortly to help her with the transition and with being stuck and home for an indefinite time. She enjoys Mario Kart 64 so I bet I can get her in to Kart 8 so I don't have to Just Dance with her all the time.

Teach her the ways of Smash!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #611 on: February 03, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »
So I have just shy of $250 in Costco rewards this year. They have this bundle for $370. Good deal? I can't decide if I should pull the trigger or not. It's either that or a power washer.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: February 03, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
What's that thing in the bottom right? Box for games? Seems like $300 is standard for Switch system. Not sure if the extra controller and that box is worth $70.

I never got in to Smash games though considered them as something my kid would enjoy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #613 on: February 03, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »

Looks like Mass Effect 1 is getting a huge upgrade! I also read that a lot of stuff in ME1 is completely redone. Like Mako controls, gunplay and menu interface!

Looks incredible! I do feel for some ME1 fans who will probably feel as though their favorite game is getting mauled, but for me and many others, this is basically a dream come true. So pumped!!!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #614 on: February 03, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
So I have just shy of $250 in Costco rewards this year. They have this bundle for $370. Good deal? I can't decide if I should pull the trigger or not. It's either that or a power washer.

Depends on what the Switch costs normally.

What controller is that? If you want a chill console like experience, I do recommend a non-joycon controller, but many third party controllers are of questionable quality and miss features like motion controls and being able to turn on the console. I'd personally look into the controller first, as that likely is the most expensive item aside from the Switch.

I also recommend using a glass screen protector, as the Switch screen is made of soft plastic that scratches easily.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #615 on: February 03, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »

Looks incredible! I do feel for some ME1 fans who will probably feel as though their favorite game is getting mauled, but for me and many others, this is basically a dream come true. So pumped!!!
The gameplay in ME1 is just not very good though. What made it special was the story and setting and characterisation, which I'm really glad they haven't touched at all and all they've changed is the technical stuff - graphics in all three games and gameplay in the first one. Absolutely cannot wait to dive into it again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: February 03, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »
I played ME1 last year for the first time ever and it's actually not as bad as people make it out to be, dated yes, terrible no. That said i cannot wait to play me3. I've been holding off for this release.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #617 on: February 03, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
I played ME1 last year for the first time ever and it's actually not as bad as people make it out to be, dated yes, terrible no. That said i cannot wait to play me3. I've been holding off for this release.

I thought the gunplay was quite bad when I played it a year after release, compared to many other shooters at the time. And even in fan fave Mass Effect 2 many guns also feel like wimpy BB guns and the whole jankier-Gears gameplay never felt quite right to me. I actually bought an EA scam dlc gun because it felt better and improved my gameplay enjoyment. Still, I enjoyed those games a lot. But shooting gameplaywise I thought 3 was a big step up. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #618 on: February 03, 2021, 05:03:13 PM »
I've just been totally hooked on Hardspace: Shipbreaker the last month or so. It's a perfect blend of thoughtful, relaxing gameplay but with enough tension to keep things interesting, and the little humor tidbits strewn throughout are great. Also has a killer soundtrack!

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: February 03, 2021, 05:07:49 PM »
I've just been totally hooked on Hardspace: Shipbreaker the last month or so. It's a perfect blend of thoughtful, relaxing gameplay but with enough tension to keep things interesting, and the little humor tidbits strewn throughout are great. Also has a killer soundtrack!

Ah yes, that game is super theraputic.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #620 on: February 03, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »
What controller is that? If you want a chill console like experience, I do recommend a non-joycon controller, but many third party controllers are of questionable quality and miss features like motion controls and being able to turn on the console. I'd personally look into the controller first, as that likely is the most expensive item aside from the Switch.
It's a PowerA third party controller. This one does have motion controls but I've never used one so I don't know what the quality of the controller is like. They definitely look very cheap. Not sure what the North American pricing is on this stuff, but here in AU it only costs $10 less than the legit Nintendo Pro controller, so not sure why anyone would bother with this one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #621 on: February 04, 2021, 12:03:30 AM »
I played ME1 last year for the first time ever and it's actually not as bad as people make it out to be, dated yes, terrible no. That said I cannot wait to play me3. I've been holding off for this release.
Sure it's not terrible, the game would never have been so popular if the gameplay had been that bad. It's just not very good, and there was a huge step up from 1 to 2.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #622 on: February 04, 2021, 12:28:07 AM »
I played ME1 last year for the first time ever and it's actually not as bad as people make it out to be, dated yes, terrible no. That said I cannot wait to play me3. I've been holding off for this release.
Sure it's not terrible, the game would never have been so popular if the gameplay had been that bad. It's just not very good, and there was a huge step up from 1 to 2.

ME1 is my favorite of the trilogy, and even I recognize that some things in the game need a serious overhaul. And I'm happy that some things will be improved for the Legendary Edition!

Can't wait for May 14th :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #623 on: February 04, 2021, 02:02:19 AM »

Yea I played that for a bit, it's fun. Kinda like a reversed Space Engineers. Saw they had a recent update.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: February 04, 2021, 06:23:24 AM »

Yea I played that for a bit, it's fun. Kinda like a reversed Space Engineers. Saw they had a recent update.

I've never heard of this game, going to check it out...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #625 on: February 04, 2021, 08:41:19 AM »

I've never heard of this game, going to check it out...
SE is awesome but the learning curve can be a bit daunting at first, especially in survival mode. In creative mode there's no limit on what you can create. It's easy to kill hours in that game for better or worse.

It's fun to have to think about gravity and zero-g when your building ships or bases on planets.

:facepalm: I just realised you of course talked about Hardspace.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42:08 AM »

I played it a couple times. I don't remember the gunplay being that bad. I liked the unlimited ammo idea.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #627 on: February 04, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
Still loving Hitman 3. Did VR, I think they did a great job, interacting with the world feels good. Pop up on PSVR is a bit rough in some parts I played, but it looks good considering the hardware and tech in the PSVR. I hope they are bringing it to high end pc VR for those that have it. The thing with VR though, is that after a day of work I typically don't really feel like commiting to a long VR session.

Also played Donut Country, seems like a nice little indie so far. These type games tend to attract my gamepass attention the most.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: February 05, 2021, 07:38:39 AM »
I am so pumped for ME remastered, comparison video: https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/1357068184025726977

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2021, 07:48:02 AM »
That looks awesome. I can't wait to play it.