Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 168966 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1505 on: December 03, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
I didn't realize this release of DSo Thunder was part of the boxset from last year. I just noticed PULSE has also been re-edited and in Bluray. I assume they'll release that next year as a separate set. I would've gotten the Later years set if it wasn't friggin over $400.

I'm very familiar with PULSE and never saw DSoT, only heard it a few times. Looks like I need to grab this ASAP.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: December 03, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »
I'm very familiar with PULSE and never saw DSoT, only heard it a few times. Looks like I need to grab this ASAP.

There are many similarities (many of the same songs with the same arrangements, same guys, sorta the same stage set-up) but visually it is a different presentation. It is less cinematic, less film-like. I do not know how to describe it. Not worse, just different.

I had forgot PULSE was re-cut as well. I knew it was part of the box set and thus way beyond what I would ever spend for any music/video collection. I remember I had such massive anticipation for the DVD release, but it ultimately was always second fiddle behind DSoT. With all the overlap, all PULSE had for me that DSoT didn't was Astronomy Domine, Hey You (CD only) and High Hopes. I didn't need all of Dark Side, and other than High Hopes the Division Bell songs weren't too appealing to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1507 on: December 04, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
Even though Dark Side might be (IMO) the greatest album ever, I was a tad disappointed that it was played in full at the show where Pulse was recorded for video release, as it came at the expense of several Division Bell tunes and other tour mainstays like Hey You, Astronomy Domine and On the Turning Away, as those spots were replaced by the Dark Side songs that weren't played on the tour at shows where they didn't play all of Dark Side.  We only got four Division Bell songs, one of them being Take It Back damn it. Not that I dislike that song, but What Do You Want from Me, Poles Apart (my personal fave) or Lost for Words would have been far preferable, for my anyway.  Regardless, Pulse is still freaking amazing.  :lol :lol :coolio :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
I had to look up the set list from the PULSE video. I can never seem to remember it, as I know the CD better.

It must have been a struggle pimping the new Floyd material while keeping enough classics in the set. Especially when you have so many longer songs. I think David and crew did as good as job as possible.

And even when I was in my biggest PF phase, I never ranked Dark Side higher than their 4th best album released in an odd-numbered year in the 70s.  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1509 on: December 05, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
I agree, they did as good a job as possible once they decided that all of Dark Side was getting played.  I mean, you have to have the other obvious classics like Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here and Another Brick in the Wall II, and we did get six songs from the first Roger-less Floyd albums there (2 from A Momentary, 4 from Division Bell), plus One of These Days and Shine On You Crazy Diamond, so really there was no weak spot anywhere.  Okay, Take It Back could have been swapped out, but that was a single that got solid radio airplay in '94, so I am sure that was a factor.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1510 on: December 07, 2020, 06:43:33 AM »
Even though Dark Side might be (IMO) the greatest album ever, I was a tad disappointed that it was played in full at the show where Pulse was recorded for video release, as it came at the expense of several Division Bell tunes and other tour mainstays like Hey You, Astronomy Domine and On the Turning Away, as those spots were replaced by the Dark Side songs that weren't played on the tour at shows where they didn't play all of Dark Side.  We only got four Division Bell songs, one of them being Take It Back damn it. Not that I dislike that song, but What Do You Want from Me, Poles Apart (my personal fave) or Lost for Words would have been far preferable, for my anyway.  Regardless, Pulse is still freaking amazing.  :lol :lol :coolio :coolio

I'm not an expert here, and I'm going from memory, but between the two singles and the PULSE DVD, there are like five or six other songs that were played live on that tour released.   

EDIT:  Yes.   On the Pulse DVD (the original one, I don't know about the new one), there is:
    "What Do You Want from Me"
    "On the Turning Away"
    "Poles Apart"
    "Marooned"
On Take It Back is "Astronomy Domine", and on High Hopes is "One Of These Days".

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1511 on: December 07, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
Once I'm done with the iron maiden live album run through I'll switch to floyd. Been ages since I had a run through their music. Will have to dig my pulse dvd out as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1512 on: December 07, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »
Delicate Sound remaster is on my Christmas list. I look forward to Santa delivering it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1513 on: December 07, 2020, 05:07:56 PM »

I'm not an expert here, and I'm going from memory, but between the two singles and the PULSE DVD, there are like five or six other songs that were played live on that tour released.   

EDIT:  Yes.   On the Pulse DVD (the original one, I don't know about the new one), there is:
    "What Do You Want from Me"
    "On the Turning Away"
    "Poles Apart"
    "Marooned"

On Take It Back is "Astronomy Domine", and on High Hopes is "One Of These Days".

Sure, technically the four bolded were on the video release, but only decent bootleg recordings.  If you look above, I was talking about the full show that was recorded and released as Pulse.  :)

Delicate Sound remaster is on my Christmas list. I look forward to Santa delivering it.

Just don't get high hopes, otherwise Santa may take it back and leave you lost for words. :P

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1514 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »

Just don't get high hopes, otherwise Santa may take it back and leave you lost for words. :P

Thankfully we don’t live poles apart from each other, I’ll keep talking to him to make sure I can get it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1515 on: December 08, 2020, 03:33:15 PM »

Thankfully we don’t live poles apart from each other, I’ll keep talking to him to make sure I can get it.

:lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1516 on: February 14, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »

Santa didn’t deliver at Christmas, but the wife came through for Valentines.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1517 on: February 14, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »
My top 3

The Final cut (yea nothing you can throw at me......i've heard it all i'm that guy, lol)
Animals
Meddle

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: February 14, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »
My top 3

Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Wish You Were Here

That's right, no The Wall there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1519 on: February 14, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »
My top 3

Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Wish You Were Here

That's right, no The Wall there.

i feel ya.  i suffer from depression so i can't do the wall often......heck i can barely do the final cut which is my fav.

besides all that.  i find the wall just not that fantastic.  too many things on it that just doesn't click for me.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: February 14, 2021, 12:02:57 PM »
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side Of The Moon
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Third pick changes all the time but it's what I'm feeling at the moment

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: February 14, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
If pressed I might call The Wall my favorite album of all time, considering the history and development of my musical journey, but it is something I am rarely going to reach for. I listen to songs from The Wall more often on DSoT, Pulse, or Roger's live albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1522 on: February 14, 2021, 12:58:48 PM »
Animals
The Wall
Dark side of the moon

Wish you were here is really close, though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1523 on: February 14, 2021, 02:38:15 PM »
Wish you were here
Dark Side
Animals

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1524 on: February 14, 2021, 10:09:14 PM »
Top 3 is tough.

Right now:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon

With an honorable mention to Relics. Not a proper album, but an excellent collection.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1525 on: February 14, 2021, 11:33:29 PM »
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Animals

WYWH is my undisputed number one. The rest changes from time to time, sometimes Dark Side is in my top three sometimes maybe The Division Bell.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1526 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:52 AM »
As awesome as Wish You Were Here is, I find that I don't listen to it as much now as I used to.  And I didn't overplay it any more than I did the others in my top tier.  I find that I am much more likely to listen to Animals now, so that has replaced WYWH in my top 3.

The Wall
Dark Side
Animals

Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell round out the top 5.  Nothing is close to making a dent and knocking any of those out of the top 5, although I still love me some A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: February 15, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
My top 3

The Final cut (yea nothing you can throw at me......i've heard it all i'm that guy, lol)
Animals
Meddle

It's tough to settle on three, but don't apologize for The Final Cut.  On any given day it's in my top three.

WYWH
DSOTM
The Final Cut/Atom Heart Mother/More/Animals/Obscured By Clouds/Meddle.  It's almost impossible for me to choose.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: February 15, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side
The Division Bell

I used to like The Wall a lot but my love for it somewhat faded in the past six years.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1529 on: February 15, 2021, 09:30:32 AM »
My top 3

Animals
Meddle

It's tough to settle on three, but don't apologize for The Final Cut.  On any given day it's in my top three.

WYWH
DSOTM
The Final Cut/Atom Heart Mother/More/Animals/Obscured By Clouds/Meddle.  It's almost impossible for me to choose.

I'm glad to hear it.  i've gotten people look at me weird, lol

the final Cut.....what are you on?  but i just adore this album.  The tile song in particular.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1530 on: February 15, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
Dark Side
Wish You Were Here
Animals

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1531 on: February 15, 2021, 01:18:49 PM »
Dark Side
Wish You Were Here
Animals

This.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1532 on: February 15, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »
Floyd are my favourite band of all time and 7 of their albums made my top 50 albums of all time list (Atom, Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Final Cut), 4 of them comprising the top 4 places.

Top 3 fluctuates on any given day between the 'big 4', but right now I'm feeling:

Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

But tomorrow morning it could easily be:

Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Animals

Incredible band, we'll never see their like again. I was thinking in the Stanley Kubrick thread (when I had a similar hard time making my pick there) how similar they are to him insofar as nothing they did was ever like what they'd done before or would do again. Always changing and evolving.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: February 15, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
Dave, I know of your love for Floyd, but I never asked you: what's your take on the early stuff?  Both the Barrett (and Barrett influenced) stuff on the first two albums, and that second "soundtrack" period, that I'd say goes up to Meddle.  I think AHM is excellent (don't know why they slag it so much) and I think the bones of a great album are in "More". 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1534 on: February 15, 2021, 03:13:08 PM »
Dark Side
Wish You Were Here
Animals

Swap WYWH and Dark Side, but also this.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: February 15, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
@those who rank WYWH at or toward the top... how do you rank the individual tracks?

Back when I listened to PF as much as any band, I tended to listen to the title track more than the other songs combined. But the other three tended to be on the radio often enough. Today those three aren't songs I am going to put on, but the title track will always sound fresh and bring a smile to my face.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1536 on: February 15, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »
@those who rank WYWH at or toward the top... how do you rank the individual tracks?

Probably like:

1: Welcome To The Machine
2: Shine On Parts 6-9
3: Wish You Were Here
4: Shine On Parts 1-5
5: Have A Cigar (still a good song, just the least good here)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1537 on: February 15, 2021, 08:52:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:47:37 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1538 on: February 15, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »
1. Shine On You 1-5
2. Shine On You 6-9
3. Have a Cigar
4. Welcome to the Machine
5. Wish You Were Here

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1539 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:58 PM »
Top 3 albums:

1. The Wall
2. Meddle
3. The Division Bell

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD