Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165196 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1330 on: March 23, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
Seeing this pop but has anyone ever listened to the live, uneditied PULSE release? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKL1MVc7Sr0

It's pretty neat to see where the edits are and where the overdubs are, especially the bit cut from the comfortably numb solo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
There's no description. What's the deal with it? [/Seinfeld]

I have no idea what happened to it, but Delicate Sound of Thunder was easily the most played VHS tape I ever owned. And for 1 part nostalgia, 1 part awesomeness, my favorite live album, and one of the 5 albums I'd take with me should I ever be stranded on that proverbial desert island.

I remember being so excited when Pulse came out, and that cool flashing LED. I never reached the level of DSoT for me though. I do recall being ecstatic when news of the DVD release came out.

It's floating around youtube, but the 1989 Venice show would make a nice DVD as well, which like DSoT will probably never happen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1332 on: March 24, 2018, 03:05:09 AM »
I hoped the Pompeii vinyl price would go down after a couple of months, but it didn't, not even on Discogs.
I hope it's not the same with this box set. I would love to own this more than Live At Pompeii.

The Floyd has gotten out of hand, and has for some time, in regard to prices on vinyl. Hell, new vinyl is ridiculous in terms of cost. I get the business of it all, but it just...honestly, I don't collect new vinyl because of the cost.

For whatever reason, Floyd is ALWAYS expensive. vinyl, CD, Blu-ray, whatever.   Almost all their "luxury" sets are steep, but people keep buying them (and they keep releasing them).

Well, at least the prices of the normal vinyls (one LP albums) are reasonable. They all cost around 20€. I've even ordered Atom Heart Mother for 17 when it was on sale on Amazon.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: March 24, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
PF has had some issues with live releases. There is also that pro shot Wall show out there that was never released because it's too dark.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1334 on: March 24, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
Seeing this pop but has anyone ever listened to the live, uneditied PULSE release? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKL1MVc7Sr0

It's pretty neat to see where the edits are and where the overdubs are, especially the bit cut from the comfortably numb solo.

Assuming that is the original airing, I saw that show when it was aired live on PPV. 

To this day, I am still a bit disappointed that the show they recorded from that tour was from a show inside, but oh well.

It'll probably take forever. Look how long it took to get the PULSE DVD released.

I have my doubts as to whether it will be ever get released.  I could see the people in charge of the Floyd business releasing it after Gilmour and Mason have passed, to keep the Floyd cash cow going, but that could be many years from now.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1335 on: March 24, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
Amazin just dropped the price to 87 I believe for the Pulse live boxset

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1336 on: March 25, 2018, 02:32:09 AM »
Still too much, but better...

Do you guys think Pink Floyd will release the Is There Anybody Out There Album on vinyl as well?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: March 25, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »
That would be very cool. I think they might, they had that great cd release years ago that included a really cool picture book.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1338 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »
I am quite fond of Momentary Lapse.

Despite not having Waters, I think it has some very strong tracks. On the turning away, Learning to fly and One slip are songs I really love.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1339 on: May 11, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
And here I thought that the necro-bump might mean something significant.  >:(

:)

As for Momentary Lapse, it has a special place in my heart as well, as that is the era of the band that I got into after passing over PF for the longest time.  The first two albums I bought were in '91 when I picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Momentary Lapse.  For my interests, those were the perfect two albums to start with, as I really like the more accessible later version of the band that Momentary Lapse encapsulates, and Dark Side was just such a commercial smash that it is impossible not to like unless PF just isn't a band that clicks with you at all.  Momentary Lapse, The Delicate Sound of Thunder, and then The Division Bell when it was released became my go-to Floyd albums.  I still don't have the entire Floyd discography, but I quite enjoy what I do have and am pretty satisfied with it without feeling an urgent need to press too much farther.  I'll eventually fill in some of the holes, but no rush.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: May 11, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »
My first Floyd purchase was Delicate Sound of Thunder. I knew a couple of the couple classic radio staples, and I figured a live, seemingly greatest hits album would be a safe buy, and I'll admit it was one of the few blind purchases I made where the album cover helped sway me. I was just discovering classic rock at the time, and this blew the door wide open for me. A friend told me to get The Wall, which was a bit of a change in style and sound from most of DSoT, and then I got AMLoR since I found that was where most of the songs on disc 1 were from. I liked the songs on the album quite a bit, and still do. But I heard them on DSoT first, and they always sounded better, fuller, more dynamic on the live album, so while DSoT may still be my favorite live album ever, I can't say I've listened to anything from the AMLoR album in decades.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: May 11, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
The first album I ever remember hearing is A Momentary Lapse of Reason so it holds a special place in my heart. I remember being 5 and playing air guitar to the ending solo of Yet Another Movie.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: May 12, 2018, 01:30:05 AM »
Saw Pink Floyd twice on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

Aug 02, 1988 Valle Hovin Stadion Oslo Norway
Jun 12, 1989 Ericsson Globe Arena Stockholm, Sweden

Those were totally amazing shows. I loved the album when it came out and the concerts..... oooh

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: May 12, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
You are incredibly lucky. I would've loved to have seen Pink Floyd live at some point.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 12, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
You are incredibly lucky. I would've loved to have seen Pink Floyd live at some point.

Yes, those were two of my favorite shows...
Would have loved to see them earlier but I was too young back in the 70-ties...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1345 on: May 12, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Yes, those were two of my favorite shows...
Would have loved to see them earlier but I was too young back in the 70-ties...

Dude, be happy with what you have to be happy with!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1346 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
Young lust has been stuck in my head for days. I love that song.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
Young lust has been stuck in my head for days. I love that song.

"I need a dirty woman!" :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1348 on: May 21, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
I've heard that Richard wright was fired by waters during the making of the wall. How can one guy just fire another guy from a band of 4 guys? Anybody know the full story?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1349 on: May 21, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
Wright was coked out of his mind for most of the late 70's and was basically useless at that point.  He barely played on The Wall, and during the sessions for that album, Waters basically forced him out with the threat that he would scrap the whole album if he didn't agree.  Wright needed the money, so he agreed.  The irony is that Wright was a salaried employee during the Wall tour and made money, while the remaining three Floyd members lost money on it due to the cost of the tour.  No official word was even made and fans had no one that Wright had been ousted until the release of The Final Cut, where Wright's name was nowhere to be found on the album sleeve or liner notes.  That is the short version.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »
Wright was coked out of his mind for most of the late 70's and was basically useless at that point.  He barely played on The Wall, and during the sessions for that album, Waters basically forced him out with the threat that he would scrap the whole album if he didn't agree.  Wright needed the money, so he agreed.  The irony is that Wright was a salaried employee during the Wall tour and made money, while the remaining three Floyd members lost money on it due to the cost of the tour.  No official word was even made and fans had no one that Wright had been ousted until the release of The Final Cut, where Wright's name was nowhere to be found on the album sleeve or liner notes.  That is the short version.

Perfectly summarized.

If I remember correctly The Final Cut's linear notes said something the lines of "Album by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1352 on: May 24, 2018, 05:56:18 AM »
When I talk with people about PF, it always seems to center around the big 4 albums (Dark side to the wall) which is fine but not many people recognize Meddle when I bring it up.

But I just want to proclaim my undying love for Echoes  :hefdaddy

I remember the first time I heard it when I randomly stumbled upon the Pompeii video so many years ago. I was just like wow, this is really cool. And something I never even knew about.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:15:02 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1353 on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
Echoes is a great trip for sure, though I prefer Side One of Meddle.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1354 on: May 24, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »
Echoes is my all time favorite song. Ever.  But Meddle never comes up in my top Floyd Albums lists. Well, at least not in the top 4.

The Wall
Animals
Darkside
WYWH
Division Bell
The Final Cut
Momentary
Meddle
Saucer

And then the rest.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
I know people here often say "You need to give band/album XXX a few spins to really appreciate it and take it all in." I'll give an album one spin, and if I don't like it, I will move on. I am not one to "try" to like an album. That said, as I am a Floyd fan, and Echoes has always been one of my favorite songs of theirs, I feel I have tried harder to like Meddle than just about any other album I've encountered. And after all those listens, I just don't.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: May 24, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
Echoes is one of my favourite songs ever, but I don't like the rest of Meddle at all, yeah.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1357 on: May 24, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
I know people here often say "You need to give band/album XXX a few spins to really appreciate it and take it all in." I'll give an album one spin, and if I don't like it, I will move on. I am not one to "try" to like an album. That said, as I am a Floyd fan, and Echoes has always been one of my favorite songs of theirs, I feel I have tried harder to like Meddle than just about any other album I've encountered. And after all those listens, I just don't.

:omg:

I would have missed out on so much great music if I had done it like you! Here's a list of stuff I didn't like at first listen: Endless Sacrifice, Tool, most Rush songs (!), Gentle Giant, VdGG, most Phil Collins solo stuff (!), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, almost everything King Crimson, Tool, Coldplay's later albums, early Pink Floyd stuff, Tool.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1358 on: May 24, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
When I talk with people about PF, it always seems to center around the big 4 albums (Dark side to the wall) which is fine but not many people recognize Meddle when I bring it up.

I remember the first time I heard it when I randomly stumbled upon the Pompeii video so many years ago. I was just like wow, this is really cool. And something I never even knew about.

That's how I feel about Atom Heart Mother.  I love Echoes, and Meddle (Fearless is actually my favorite song on the record) but AHM is where I felt the most... surprised? 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1359 on: May 24, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
Does anybody know, when they were making Division Bell whether or not they knew that it was going to be their last album (not counting endless river)?

Was there any attempt at starting a new album at all later in the 90's or early 2000's?

And is Endless river any good?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:54:36 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1360 on: May 24, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
Oh dude....if I listened to albums like that, I would have turned Ride the Lightning into a frisbee.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1361 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
Does anybody know, when they were making Division Bell whether or not they knew that it was going to be their last album (not counting endless river)?

I don't believe so.

Was there any attempt at starting a new album at all later in the 90's or early 2000's?

Not that I am aware of.

And is Endless river any good?

It is good, yes.  Is it great? I would say no, but it is good, even very good at times.  It is a nice, laid back listen from start to finish.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1362 on: May 25, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »

Oh My God....I took shrooms one time and put on A Saucerful of Secrets. That was the shit. Especially when it got to the ending.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1363 on: May 25, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
Ha ha, Pink Floyd and chemicals, the winning combination.  I did some blotter one time and put on Meddle.  By time I got to "Echoes" I was on another planet.  I wonder now if that's why I can still appreciate the song, but somehow it doesn't quite thrill me like it used to.  A lot of times I'll put it on and remember that trip, and maybe psyche myself out by thinking that "it could be better", meaning the experience, not the song itself.  Maybe I kinda ruined it for myself, 'cause I'm pretty sure I'll never do some of the stuff I did back in the 80's ever again.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
I kinda have that problem with 2112 (the song) and Xanadu. They're never as cool as they were when frying...which I haven't done for decades. And probably won't again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens