Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164665 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1470 on: July 05, 2020, 09:49:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5KC1jVvZpo&t=29s

So you are playing your wine glasses in the street, and this old dude comes up to you and asks you if you want to play with him on stage that night, and you aren't sure, but then he says he'll pay you, and suddenly you are intrigued...

Later... the old guy thinks "Hey, I should incorporate this in to my show. Hey guys, c'mere, you're gonna learn something new..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gyXqx_5to8
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1471 on: July 05, 2020, 11:05:03 PM »
That was cool! :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:07 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/pink-floyds-delicate-sound-of-thunder-restored-re-edited-and-remixed-for-new-home-release

Pink Floyd’s concert film Delicate Sound Of Thunder is all set for a home reissue in November – a month after the restored, re-edited and remixed version hits cinemas around the world.

20 year old Cool Chris says it is about goddamn time. DSoT is my most watched VHS tape ever, my most watched concert video ever, my most listened to album ever, and possibly my most viewed film of any type ever.

Nick's A Saucerful of Secrets video/CD is being released tomorrow too. From clips I've seen, it is beautiful. Roger's show is set to be released next month as well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:32:20 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1473 on: September 26, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »
Those sets look awesome. At some point I'll have to bring up 250€ for the three live vinyl boxsets Gilmour has released in the last years (Pompeij, PULSE, Delicate Sound). They are expensive, but all Pink Floyd vinyl rereleases of the studio albums were stunning. And I love the new cover of Delicate Sound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: September 26, 2020, 07:36:18 AM »
I have the Pulse vinyl set and I highly recommend it. Its remixed for release and is the best sounding record I own.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1475 on: September 26, 2020, 07:36:46 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/pink-floyds-delicate-sound-of-thunder-restored-re-edited-and-remixed-for-new-home-release

Pink Floyd’s concert film Delicate Sound Of Thunder is all set for a home reissue in November – a month after the restored, re-edited and remixed version hits cinemas around the world.

20 year old Cool Chris says it is about goddamn time. DSoT is my most watched VHS tape ever, my most watched concert video ever, my most listened to album ever, and possibly my most viewed film of any type ever.

:jawdrop:

that just got added to the birthday/christmas wishlist!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1476 on: September 26, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
I have the Pulse vinyl set and I highly recommend it. Its remixed for release and is the best sounding record I own.

Wow, quite a statement! Maybe I should invest the 100 bucks...

NO!!! I will not buy this right now!!! I have spent TOO MUCH money on vinyl recently  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: September 26, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »
Well it's nice wen you do get it. My only complaint is that the artwork on the sleeves is not upscaled for the vinyl. It's hard to explain but if you look at the sleeves below you'll notice that the image doesn't cover the whole sleeve.

The hardcover linear notes are a nice touch as well.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1478 on: September 26, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
Well it's nice wen you do get it. My only complaint is that the artwork on the sleeves is not upscaled for the vinyl. It's hard to explain but if you look at the sleeves below you'll notice that the image doesn't cover the whole sleeve.

The hardcover linear notes are a nice touch as well.

Could you re-upload that image? I only see a blue square with a question mark in it...

#edit:
I looked up the original vinyl release, and I can't really find any differences?
Original release https://www.discogs.com/de/Pink-Floyd-Pulse/release/647117
Re-release https://www.discogs.com/de/Pink-Floyd-Pulse/release/12004382
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:12:47 PM by Fritzinger »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1479 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »
Nick's A Saucerful of Secrets video/CD is being released tomorrow too. From clips I've seen, it is beautiful. 

I got my pre-order in the mail last week. Haven't watched the video yet, but the CD was really cool to listen to!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: September 26, 2020, 04:45:48 PM »
Sorry I meant I wish that had done some work on the sleeves to make the resolution of them better. They look grainy when they are that large. I'll see if I can find a better pic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »

that just got added to the birthday/christmas wishlist!

Not waiting till Christmas... pre-ordered. Looks like you can get the BD and CD separately for much less than the package deal that includes everything.

Nick's A Saucerful of Secrets video/CD is being released tomorrow too. From clips I've seen, it is beautiful. 

I got my pre-order in the mail last week. Haven't watched the video yet, but the CD was really cool to listen to!

I am not big in to that material, but the guys look like they are having a blast performing it all.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1482 on: September 27, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
So are Endless River and Rattle that Lock (Gilmour solo) good records?

Bought both of them randomly because I stumbled upon the nice little boxset versions with all kinds of extras for very cheap (and I am buying 5.1 versions of music because I want to have a 5.1 setup in the future).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1483 on: September 27, 2020, 01:11:24 PM »
Endless River is fantastic. It's basically an album of soundscapes  / instrumentals with one song with vocals. Very very relaxing.

Rattle is okay. I've listened to it through maybe twice. Others' opinions may vary, but it's no where near as great as On An Island. The live output from the tour is pretty great though.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1484 on: September 27, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
So are Endless River and Rattle that Lock (Gilmour solo) good records?

Bought both of them randomly because I stumbled upon the nice little boxset versions with all kinds of extras for very cheap (and I am buying 5.1 versions of music because I want to have a 5.1 setup in the future).

I think it’s excellent. But you really have to be somebody who enjoys PF’s instrumental stuff.

It actually just kind of feels like a Richard Wright solo album that Dave threw some solos on top of.  And I don’t mean that in a bad way. I think it’s a nice “coda“, if you will, to Pink Floyd’s discography.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1485 on: September 27, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »
Totally agreed on The Endless River.  More of those ethereal Pink Floyd instrumentals, some of which sound like outtakes from different eras, but all very nice.  Yes, it does also sound like something David Gilmour "assembled" from existing tapes with Wright and the others (which is really what it is), but that's only if you want to dissect it.  My least favorite tracks are the opening and closing tracks, the ones with vocals.  I made a playlist of everything in between, and it's got a great flow to it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1486 on: September 27, 2020, 10:43:58 PM »
For me, I feel like, if you take all the albums together, The Endless River is a wonderful coda to the entire discography, like an epilogue that takes the listener through all of the Pink Floyd sound. On it's own... it's not much. That "Allons-Y 1/Autumn '68/Allons-Y 2" group of tracks is fantastic, though. The songs with lyrics are the weakest part.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1487 on: September 28, 2020, 01:57:17 AM »
I think Rattle That Lock has some great songs on it. My favourite is the title track. I love intelligent, catchy art pop songs like that.

My main problem with that album is that many songs end with a fade-out. I have no problem if David needs 10 years for 50 minutes of new music. But in that much time, can't he compose proper endings to the songs? He'd have to do that anyway for the live versions.

Apart from that, I think Faces Of Stone is fantastic, as is In Any Tongue. The latter includes a great Comfortably Numb-like solo by David.
And I have a weakness for Crosby & Nash's harmony vocals, so A Boat Lies Waiting is beautiful in my opinion. Could have been a minute or so longer though.

#Edit:
I agree though that On An Island is the far better album. It flows perfectly, combines instrumentals and songs with vocals very well. And I love that it used the Dark Side-technique, that the opener presents lots of themes and sound effects that reappear throughout the album.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:02:19 AM by Fritzinger »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1488 on: September 28, 2020, 07:46:02 AM »
In my view, Rattle That Lock is pretty good not great, and The Endless River is a mood piece, but the Remember That Night, Live In Gdansk, and Live In Pompeii sets are ESSENTIAL.   A couple weeks ago, I spent a good weekend going through all three, watching the documentaries, watching the hidden Easter Eggs, and what not, and what a stellar set of packages (the first two are from the On An Island tour, the last is from the Rattle That Lock tour, but someone mentioned Crosby and Nash, and they appear on Remember That Night set, as does David Bowie). 

It's also worth searching out the "Barn Tapes"; there are supposedly about 200 of them, Gilmour has released about 10 of them, on various platforms (I think the Rattle That Lock deluxe version has four or five, one is a b-side of a single, couple more on the deluxe version of one of the live sets, Gdansk, I think).   

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1489 on: September 28, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
In my view, Rattle That Lock is pretty good not great, and The Endless River is a mood piece, but the Remember That Night, Live In Gdansk, and Live In Pompeii sets are ESSENTIAL.   A couple weeks ago, I spent a good weekend going through all three, watching the documentaries, watching the hidden Easter Eggs, and what not, and what a stellar set of packages (the first two are from the On An Island tour, the last is from the Rattle That Lock tour, but someone mentioned Crosby and Nash, and they appear on Remember That Night set, as does David Bowie). 

It's also worth searching out the "Barn Tapes"; there are supposedly about 200 of them, Gilmour has released about 10 of them, on various platforms (I think the Rattle That Lock deluxe version has four or five, one is a b-side of a single, couple more on the deluxe version of one of the live sets, Gdansk, I think).

I have Remember That Night and it's a great set especially with Crosby and Nash. David Bowie was a nice treat as well, only a British accent can do Arnold Layne justice, as I feel that accent makes the songs sound for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
Remember That Night is one of my favourite concert DVDs ever.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: September 28, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
David Bowie was a nice treat as well, only a British accent can do Arnold Layne justice, as I feel that accent makes the songs sound for me.

Hearing that version gave me a new appreciation for Arnold Layne. Whenever I want to listen to it now, that's the version I go to.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1492 on: September 28, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »
I caught Remember That Night on TV one time.  Dick Parry was doing the baritone sax solo in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and I wondered if he was gonna switch to Tenor for the fast part.  Then I realized that he actually had both of them on him, on separate neck straps.  When it kicked into double time, he whipped the baritone to the side and switched to tenor.  I actually cheered out loud.  He played the entire tenor solo with an extra 20 lbs of metal hanging off of him because there's no time to put one down and pick the other one up.

Dick Parry is a fucking boss.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1493 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
David Bowie was a nice treat as well, only a British accent can do Arnold Layne justice, as I feel that accent makes the songs sound for me.

Hearing that version gave me a new appreciation for Arnold Layne. Whenever I want to listen to it now, that's the version I go to.

I knew that song from their Echoes compilation. So was surprised when I saw Remember That Night at A Hastings and saw it on the setlist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1494 on: September 29, 2020, 05:36:30 AM »
Sounds good, looking forward to listening to both Endless Rivers and Rattle that Lock. Paid 15 euro total for both boxes sealed, so that is why they were a random purchase, the sale got to me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: September 29, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
Gave Obscured by Clouds and The Endless River each a good listen today at work.

When PF was my most often-listened to band growing up, somehow Obscured by Clouds flew under my radar. I wasn't big in to the pre-DSotM stuff but I did listen to some of it occasionally. I just never owned this album, and pre-internet, that means I rarely if ever heard it.

I enjoyed The Endless River more than I recall doing when I last listened to it. I am not big in to instrumental music, but this made for good listening. I doubt it is something I will revisit much though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1496 on: September 30, 2020, 03:03:15 AM »
I always mix of the tracks on Obscured and More. Honestly years ago I think I had them as one album on my mp3 player.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: September 30, 2020, 05:22:27 AM »
Obscured has some nice songs. To me the magic starts with Meddle.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1498 on: September 30, 2020, 07:07:34 AM »
Gave Obscured by Clouds and The Endless River each a good listen today at work.

When PF was my most often-listened to band growing up, somehow Obscured by Clouds flew under my radar. I wasn't big in to the pre-DSotM stuff but I did listen to some of it occasionally. I just never owned this album, and pre-internet, that means I rarely if ever heard it.

I enjoyed The Endless River more than I recall doing when I last listened to it. I am not big in to instrumental music, but this made for good listening. I doubt it is something I will revisit much though.

THat's weird because that was me too; for some reason, ObC was pretty much the last Floyd album I got and got into.  It's a good record, but (surprise surprise) it pales in comparison to that which came after.  In hindsight, though, I think their soundtracks are really good; I don't know if it's because they sort of took the sharp edges off the experimentation, or something else, but I think they really set the stage for what came after (since you could argue that the magical component of DSotM, WYWH, A, TW, and TFC is the cinematic scope of those records). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: December 03, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
So, still haven't watched the whole thing, but have taken a substantial bite out of the new Delicate Sound of Thunder release.

I've probably said earlier, but the original release is my most watched VHS tape ever, most watched concert vid ever, and maybe my most watched film of any kind ever. Though I have not watched it in many years, I feel like I'd know ever shot like the proverbial back of my hand. So I was curious how this new edit would play out. And dare I say it knocks it out of the park. It felt like every shot, every edit, every pan of the crowd was exactly how it should be, such that it's hard to imagine that these were not the original shots, edits, and pans. I've read elsewhere there is more of a focus on David, but I felt everyone is shown sufficiently and appropriately. One thing that stood out to me is there are more shots by cameramen on stage, some of which are behind the band so you can see the crowd from their perspective. Not the type of shot you usually get on a concert vid. There is a great shot of David (can't remember the spot) where he looks a little surprised to see a camera sneak up behind him, and he smiles at the camera, and by extension, us. A quick break of the fourth wall.

I cannot comment on the sound. I will leave that to the audiophiles. But visually, it is stunning. When the camera is on David, we can see in clear focus Tim (Renwick) behind him, strumming away with a smile on his face. The editing is also masterful, done in the anti-Steve Harris style. The camera is never in a rush to move from one shot to the next. It's like they know when we are ready for the next shot, and where it should be.

Many people have said DT has moved their live presentation from a "rock concert" to a performance. This show manages to be a masterpiece of both.

I just hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for the release of the Delicate Sound of Thunder Ultimate Every Shot Is Of Rachel Fury Edition.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1500 on: December 03, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
So, still haven't watched the whole thing, but have taken a substantial bite out of the new Delicate Sound of Thunder release.

I've probably said earlier, but the original release is my most watched VHS tape ever, most watched concert vid ever, and maybe my most watched film of any kind ever. Though I have not watched it in many years, I feel like I'd know ever shot like the proverbial back of my hand. So I was curious how this new edit would play out. And dare I say it knocks it out of the park. It felt like every shot, every edit, every pan of the crowd was exactly how it should be, such that it's hard to imagine that these were not the original shots, edits, and pans. I've read elsewhere there is more of a focus on David, but I felt everyone is shown sufficiently and appropriately. One thing that stood out to me is there are more shots by cameramen on stage, some of which are behind the band so you can see the crowd from their perspective. Not the type of shot you usually get on a concert vid. There is a great shot of David (can't remember the spot) where he looks a little surprised to see a camera sneak up behind him, and he smiles at the camera, and by extension, us. A quick break of the fourth wall.

I cannot comment on the sound. I will leave that to the audiophiles. But visually, it is stunning. When the camera is on David, we can see in clear focus Tim (Renwick) behind him, strumming away with a smile on his face. The editing is also masterful, done in the anti-Steve Harris style. The camera is never in a rush to move from one shot to the next. It's like they know when we are ready for the next shot, and where it should be.

Many people have said DT has moved their live presentation from a "rock concert" to a performance. This show manages to be a masterpiece of both.

I just hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for the release of the Delicate Sound of Thunder Ultimate Every Shot Is Of Rachel Fury Edition.

Great review!

I saw this on Blu-ray last week and was very pleased.  I watched this on VHS a million times back in the day (along with Rush's A Show of Hands), so I knew what shots were different (a lot of them), which threw me a little at first, but once I got used to them, the awesomeness really shined through.

It did feel like the overall sound was a little less 80's-sounding than the original, but it sounded great, as Floyd's stuff almost always does. 

For my money, the best versions of both Sorrow and One of These Days are taken from this concert.  Amazing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: December 03, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »
I wonder what the % of new shots/edits is. It has to be in the 90s. Almost everything looked different enough to make me feel like I was literally watching it for the first time.

I felt there was a little more bass (yay, Guy! Sorry about the Money bass solo) but otherwise didn't readily notice significant differences in the sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1502 on: December 03, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »
I thought the drums were noticeably louder at times.  Not too loud per se, just a few songs where you could really hear the pounding of the snare more than you normally do in a Pink Floyd song.

And I agree about that percentage of shots.  Most of it did look different, and like you, it did feel like a first watch, but at the same time, it was the same live versions that I was mostly used to from back in the day, so it was like a new visual twist on the old reliable live versions.

The one thing I do wish they had kept was the shot of the dog running up the ladder right before the sax solo in The Dogs of War, which gave the impression that a dog had turned into the sax player the moment the solo began.  That was a neat effect, but it was completely removed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: December 03, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
The one thing I do wish they had kept was the shot of the dog running up the ladder right before the sax solo in The Dogs of War, which gave the impression that a dog had turned into the sax player the moment the solo began.  That was a neat effect, but it was completely removed.

!!! I had the same thought! At least they didn't visually alter Scotty Page's epic mullet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1504 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
 :lol :lol The mullet must stay!!