Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164332 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1435 on: December 10, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
I think the concept of Animals is cool but the album is dense, wordy and largely one-dimensional. On it's own it's not a bad album, no, but plopped between DSoTM, WYWH, and The Wall it's clearly the weakest album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1436 on: December 11, 2019, 05:57:16 AM »
Final Cut is the greatest Roger Waters solo album ft: David Gilmour on 2 songs :lol

Semi serious. I love Final Cut.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: December 11, 2019, 06:05:23 AM »
You guys are all nuts.  Animals is the best Pink Floyd album of all.  It was the peak of their ability to combine concept, songwriting, and playing.  It sounds fucking amazing and doesn't have an army of session guys playing on it.  It's just the four of them.

This is the only take on the last page that matters.  :tup :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1438 on: December 15, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
I picked up the Later Years box set on Saturday from a local indie music shop in Sydney.
Yes it was a lot of money to drop, but the overall quality of the contents is superb.
I really love the attention to detail, most significantly the discs are housed in cardboard wallets, but come with mini-lp anti static sleeves
to project them from scuffing.

So far I have only listening to the surround mixes of AMLOR and DB, both sounds great.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: December 16, 2019, 05:01:16 AM »
:tup that's awesome,  I can't wait to get mine.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: December 17, 2019, 10:45:49 PM »
The clips I've seen on YT of the DSoT remix/recut look amazing! I would probably shell out more money for that CD, and that BluRay, than for any other CD/video I can think of or even imagine. But I cannot remotely justify the cost of that whole box set.

Just looked again at what is part of the set. Nice to see the 1989 Venice video is included.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: February 09, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
https://www.axs.com/roger-waters-announces-2020-tour-dates-for-this-is-not-a-drill-138819

“This tour will be part of a global movement by people who are concerned by others to affect the change that is necessary,” Waters said in the video.

Silly me, all this time I've been going to a concerts to listen to music. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: February 09, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
I'll have to check this tour out, looks like the only place that is close is raleigh. I'll have to pick up a ticket.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: February 09, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
Tacoma Dome. Blech that is a horrible venue and takes forever to get to, but it is on a Saturday so I can make that work. I loved The Wall show but that is one of my favorite albums of all time. I thought once I saw that, I didn't need to see Roger play again because nothing could possibly top that, and skipped the last tour. Any ticket over $100 I really have to think about, which even nosebleeds are going to be for this show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1444 on: February 10, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
This doesn't bother me, per se, but it's sort of problematic.  I missed "The Wall" - one of the very few concert regrets in my life (one of only two, really), so I would like to see Roger at some point.  I do not want to participate in his brand of "activism", so maybe not this tour.  But how many are left?  And if he does play to sold out arenas/stadia, to people like me that don't want to be part of the extra-musical activities, will he claim some sort of political victory?   

Once you factor in the money aspect, I will likely pass once again. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1445 on: February 10, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
https://www.axs.com/roger-waters-announces-2020-tour-dates-for-this-is-not-a-drill-138819

“This tour will be part of a global movement by people who are concerned by others to affect the change that is necessary,” Waters said in the video.

Silly me, all this time I've been going to a concerts to listen to music.
And yet no matter how clear he makes this to everybody, there will still be people who storm out in a huff and complain about it afterward. And, ya know, it's not like his music doesn't really hammer his point of view home. "Wah, I thought Pigs was just about a lazy day at home on the farm. Why's he gotta make everything so darn political?"

Myself, I'm fascinated by what he's going to do. Staging in the round is so fundamentally different than anything he or they have done in the past I have no idea what to expect. I think it's possible he just comes out with an acoustic guitar and does the singer-songwriter bit. It might also be some completely new mindblowing show. Christ, last time he had Battersea Power Station pop out in the middle of the audience, FFS. I'm pretty curious.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1446 on: February 10, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
I agree.

I understand that there are some people who "just like his music" and want something like a regular concert, but I would think that the vast majority of people know full well what Roger is all about.  But I would be wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: February 10, 2020, 10:44:55 PM »
All true, but I feel there is a subtlety that has been lost over the years. He went from being a brilliant wordsmith to a blunt sledgehammer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1448 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »
Yeah, but we live in an age when subtlety gets you nowhere.  If you're not blunt and slamming the point home, no one's listening.  And no one's listening most of the time anyway.  There are people who've been listening to Animals for years and have no idea that it's socio-political commentary.  The words may sound cool, but they mean nothing to them.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: February 11, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »
Just scored a floor seat. I'm shocked because I tried to buy a ticket yesterday and ticket master was not working on my phone or browser. Figured i was fucked and its be sold out but I checked today and the seats where still available.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: February 11, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
There are people who've been listening to Animals for years and have no idea that it's socio-political commentary.  The words may sound cool, but they mean nothing to them.

That was me in 1991. "Ha ha, charade you are!" Damn, that sounds awesome, I am going to start saying that randomly. I loved the music, I loved how the words sounded, I didn't know who "Hey you, Whitehouse" was. The actual White House? Years later I dove in to the lyrics, got an understanding of what they meant and what Roger was trying to say. Did it affect how I felt about the music? Not really. Point is, I was allowed to come to those conclusions on my own, and appreciate the music and the lyrics as I chose to. I feel that art has been lost.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1451 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »
No argument here.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1452 on: February 19, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »
Nick Mason is coming to my city in June and I will definitely go to see him. It should be cool to see a group of musicians performing the underrated early Floyd stuff. Did anyone see the show? What was it like?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1453 on: February 19, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
Nick Mason is coming to my city in June and I will definitely go to see him. It should be cool to see a group of musicians performing the underrated early Floyd stuff. Did anyone see the show? What was it like?
I really enjoyed it. Might well see it again in a few months. It's not the mindblowing spectacle you get from Waters/Gilmour/Floyd, but it's still a lot of fun and some great music. It actually feels like a modern recreation of a sixties show, with all the vintage-looking psychedelic trappings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1454 on: February 19, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »
I really enjoyed it. Might well see it again in a few months. It's not the mindblowing spectacle you get from Waters/Gilmour/Floyd, but it's still a lot of fun and some great music. It actually feels like a modern recreation of a sixties show, with all the vintage-looking psychedelic trappings.

It depends on how much you love the older stuff.   I myself was over the moon about the show, and I actually preferred this to any sort of actual PF reunion.   

I'm serious.   It was at a decent sized theater, it was intimate, we got to hear stuff live that we NEVER hear...nothing but win.    A PF reunion would be stadiums, maybe a kick ass spectacle, but the players would be ants to most, they would trot out the same damn songs we've heard a kajillion times.    Yes, there would be cool parts of it, and I would go if it happened....maybe....depending of if I had to take out a 2nd mortgage to see it or not...  But I *prefered* the Nick Mason version.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: February 21, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
I heard good things about it, and am slightly regretting not going, despite not loving that era of Floyd. By all accounts it sounds like it is a great show. I am happy it has proven to be a success.

Just saw a live album is being released for this tour in April, cool I might have to check that out.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1456 on: April 23, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
The Gilmour family is doing a live Facebook feed right now.  The official Pink Floyd page has the link to Polly Samson's feed (Dave's wife)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: April 23, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
They've been pretty active lately. Part of it is her pimping her book.

The band has also been putting whole concerts up on their YT channel, I think Pulse was the last one. I did not know the re-edited that one as well for the Later Years set.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: May 04, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
Guy Pratt has a new YouTube channel and has been posting stories, bass licks, and humor in his inimitable style.

Things I learned today:
1) They cut out his bass spot in the reissue of Delicate Sound of Thunder from The Later Years boxset. :tdwn
2) The Domine in Astronomy Domine is pronounced Dom-i-nee, not Do-Mine, as I have always been saying it. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1459 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
Guy Pratt has a new YouTube channel and has been posting stories, bass licks, and humor in his inimitable style.

Things I learned today:
1) They cut out his bass spot in the reissue of Delicate Sound of Thunder from The Later Years boxset. :tdwn
2) The Domine in Astronomy Domine is pronounced Dom-i-nee, not Do-Mine, as I have always been saying it.

His book biography is hilarious and very open. Definitely check it out if you haven't. Finishing his book is/was one of my "covid" activities  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: May 04, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
I've read it twice. It is indeed glorious.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: May 04, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
I gotta get his book, I've never read it before. Checking out his channel now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1462 on: May 04, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »
I wasn't always a fan of the way he sang Run Like Hell live on the last two Floyd tours, but Pratt was a helluva bass player, and always looked like he was having a blast on stage.  I think of him as an honorary Floyd member, like Jon Carin.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1463 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
he said he's doing Toy Matinee / Last Plane Out next!  I'm so stoked for that

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1464 on: May 04, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »
My buddy met Guy at NAMM a few years back. Bought a copy of his book... and only had a $100 bill.... Guy didn't have change for it, and instead of telling my buddy to GTFO and come back with change, he walked around with my buddy for like 10 min trying to find someone to break the 100 for him.

(Lets just ignore the fact that I had just bought my buddy a copy of the book for Christmas but hadn't given it to him yet :lol   - That's how I wound up with my own copy... and it is fan fucking tastic)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: May 04, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »
I wasn't always a fan of the way he sang Run Like Hell live on the last two Floyd tours, but Pratt was a helluva bass player, and always looked like he was having a blast on stage. 

I didn't know Floyd well when I got DSoT. I got to Run Like Hell and I thought "Who is belting out those vocals?" Then I got the VHS tape, and was all "Whoa, it's the tiny bass player." I like how he gave that part a little more balls. And since David auditioned him on his vocals, knowing he could play the bass parts just fine, I will defer to the master on how he wanted those vocals sung. Guy has certainbly been blessed with playing with a multitude of artists, and seems to have made the most of every opportunity, and enjoyed it every step of the way.

I think of him as an honorary Floyd member, like Jon Carin.

Yep. Guy's played with Floyd on their two major tours Post Roger, one album, and been with David on essentially every tour and major performance that I am aware of back to '87*, and Carin has played with Floyd, both David solo and Roger solo for years, and played with them at the Live8 show.

*and married the keyboardist's daughter

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: July 04, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: July 05, 2020, 06:06:17 AM »
Sweet, I'll give it a listen a little later.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1468 on: July 05, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »
Nice little tune.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: July 05, 2020, 09:02:13 AM »
I really liked the acoustic guitar passage during the last minute.

I hope Gilmour releases another album. I also hope he'll tour it, but I'll understand if he won't. Honestly I just would like more new music from him. On an Island was in 2006, Rattle That Lock was in 2015, maybe the new album will happen a little sooner than 9 years after the previous one? Anyway, I'll definitely buy it instantly.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.