Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169144 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 25, 2021, 07:45:41 AM »
That's awesome to hear he is going back out. I'll try to go if he is ever close.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1681 on: November 25, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets hitting the road in 2022. Thought about hitting this up on the last tour but ultimately passed. Love the BD release, gave me a full appreciation for what Nick and the guys were bringing, and they hit it out of the park. And the date in Seattle is on a Saturday, which makes it much more tempting.

My younger brother and I were considering going, as this will be here in February, but it's on a damn Tuesday night, and concerts during the week just suck for me now.  I suspect if one of us really wants to go and bugs the other enough, the other will give in, but I'd be surprised if that happens.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:20 PM »
Same here about the weeknights. I could say it is because it's hard for my wife to put both kids to bed by herself, (in reality, it is - as my 4 year old is in a significant "I want Daddy" phase right now) but I just don't like being out late on a night when I have to work the next day. And by "late" I mean past 8p.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1683 on: November 25, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
Same here about the weeknights. I could say it is because it's hard for my wife to put both kids to bed by herself, (in reality, it is - as my 4 year old is in a significant "I want Daddy" phase right now) but I just don't like being out late on a night when I have to work the next day. And by "late" I mean past 8p.

Haha, I know what you mean.  My sleep sucks anyway, and I could always take off the next morning and go in for the afternoon at 1 pm (and I have tons of days to use), but I'd be awake at 6 am anyway, which means I'd be dead tired all day if I took off in the morning or not. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: November 25, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »
I swear today I woke up at EXACTLY the same time my alarm goes off on work days. I woke up on my own, looked at the clock, and was all SERIOUSLY! IT'S A HOLIDAY!

Anyway, on topic.... I'll probably skip this, and just devote more time to watching this great video release. A little weird to think it would mean I'd get to see 1/2 of Pink Floyd (sorry, I am not including you in my count, Syd) when I long ago accepted I'd never get to see them live; and Guy, one of my favorite musicians.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1685 on: November 26, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »

Anyway, on topic.... I'll probably skip this, and just devote more time to watching this great video release. A little weird to think it would mean I'd get to see 1/2 of Pink Floyd (sorry, I am not including you in my count, Syd) when I long ago accepted I'd never get to see them live; and Guy, one of my favorite musicians.

Even though I could not logistically make it work at the time due to work and other things, I will still forever kick myself for not going to Chicago with a buddy and his lady friend to see David Gilmour on the Rattle That Lock tour, but I still have memories of seeing Floyd at Arrowhead in KC in '94 to keep me happy, I suppose.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1686 on: November 29, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
It would be a fascinating document, since their music evolved so much live.  On the Immersion box sets there's a composite of a live show - meaning, if you have DSOTM and WYWH, there are live tracks on both sets that together are most of a '74 show from London, I believe - but nothing complete that I know of.   The Early Years box set covers some of that stuff now; there are live versions of The Man And The Journey, Echoes, and Atom Heart Mother (which evolved a lot on stage) but there are still no complete shows from the DSOTM roll out, or the subsequent tours where they played You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling.

I am a little late to this, but to confirm, the '74 London show is available in its entirety across three releases. The live tracks on the 2CD Experience editions of WYWH and DSOTM (also on their respective Immersion box sets) make up the main set. So you do get both You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling in official live releases, as well as a pre-release version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond as a single track, not broken in half as it is found on WYWH.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the Echoes encore is to buy the full box set of the The Early Early Years. It is on the "Bonus" Contunu/ation disc that was not released individually like all the other parts were.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1687 on: November 29, 2021, 02:00:34 PM »
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets hitting the road in 2022. Thought about hitting this up on the last tour but ultimately passed. Love the BD release, gave me a full appreciation for what Nick and the guys were bringing, and they hit it out of the park. And the date in Seattle is on a Saturday, which makes it much more tempting.

I kicked myself for not seeing his first tour. Not making the same mistake twice. Got my tix for DC in January.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1688 on: December 15, 2021, 10:41:47 PM »
A bunch of concerts have apparently shown up on some streaming services from the '70 to '72 era.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pink-floyd-surprise-release-dozen-220939287.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1689 on: December 15, 2021, 11:17:23 PM »
A bunch of concerts have apparently shown up on some streaming services from the '70 to '72 era.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pink-floyd-surprise-release-dozen-220939287.html

:jawdrop:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: December 16, 2021, 06:28:45 AM »
That's really cool, I can't wait to take a listen.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: December 16, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »
Thanks for posting, will check these out.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1692 on: December 17, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »

I just bought the Rome one off of iTunes. It sounds like a raw, almost bootleg quality recordings that have not been mixed or mastered in any way (definitely not up to par with the material in The Early Years). That being said, I will eventually get all of them. Still a very enjoyable listen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1693 on: December 17, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
I’m actually kind of bummed that these aren’t getting physical releases. I hate digital only stuff.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1694 on: December 17, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
Those shows are from what is probably my favorite period of live Floyd.  (Inter)stellar!

The titles seem to be "bootleggy" in nature; I don't know if that is meant as a jab or a pun.  As the press statement says, the releases themselves are for copyright reasons.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:52:15 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1696 on: April 07, 2022, 08:12:48 PM »
Not a bad little song. I wish David would've sung a little of it, but it was done for a good cause.  Always nice to hear David playing guitar. 

Not surprisingly, nimrods loyal to a fault to Roger are losing their minds over this, but those people lost the plot decades ago.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1697 on: April 07, 2022, 08:17:24 PM »
Yeah Kev.  Just be happy they did this for a great cause.

That 2008 reunion was a 1 off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: April 07, 2022, 09:31:56 PM »
That was amazing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: April 15, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
Sorry for the bump... is it wrong to think this would rank among my Top 20 PF songs? This is just fantastic. Imagine Instagram'ing yourself singing a song for 45 seconds, then finding out David Gilmour gets his buddies together to write music to it.

A simple song, a simple message, a simple video, no grandstanding... Contrast that with the video Roger made supporting Ukraine, and then birdwalking to denounce Bush and the Iraq War, Israel's occupation of Palestine, and basically every war and conflict that has happened in the past century, and how we must stand with BLM, BDS, and the rest of the alphabet soup of approved organizations. By the end I forgot what the original topic was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1700 on: April 16, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »
Sorry for the bump... is it wrong to think this would rank among my Top 20 PF songs? This is just fantastic. Imagine Instagram'ing yourself singing a song for 45 seconds, then finding out David Gilmour gets his buddies together to write music to it.

Not at all.  We all like what we like!  :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1701 on: April 16, 2022, 12:00:52 PM »
Chris, have you only heard 19 Pink Floyd songs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: April 16, 2022, 01:14:16 PM »
YES!

I was being a bit hyperbolic. I don't mean to say this could supplant a vast number of their fantastic tunes. But it is way better than it should be, if you get my thinking.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: April 20, 2022, 11:25:19 PM »
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets rebooked their US tour. The Seattle show is on Halloween, which is always a big day for our family. Oof. Looks like they are playing Echoes this time around too. Damn I would love to see that live, even if it is just Nick in the band and no David or Rick.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1704 on: April 21, 2022, 12:43:43 AM »
I think it's great that Gilmour is using the huge name Pink Floyd as a platform to do something good.

But that song is just... not good at all in my opinion. Playing is lazy, production is just bland and lacks attention to detail. David not singing doesn't make it better.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #1705 on: June 25, 2022, 08:51:49 PM »
Has anyone seen David Gilmour live recently? If so, could you help with some questions? I was told that he talks about politics in between some of the songs. How much does that happen? Also what's the general vibe like? Lots of profanity or is it family-friendly-ish?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1706 on: June 26, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
Has anyone seen David Gilmour live recently? If so, could you help with some questions? I was told that he talks about politics in between some of the songs. How much does that happen? Also what's the general vibe like? Lots of profanity or is it family-friendly-ish?

I assume you mean Roger Waters, right?

Because outside of a few one-offs where he played like one or two songs, David Gilmour has not toured since 2016, and he never talks politics at concerts (he rarely says much between songs, IIRC). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: June 26, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »
I was gonna say, David seems to staid to curse. 

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #1708 on: June 26, 2022, 12:24:13 PM »
Thanks Kev, sorry, that is what I meant!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: June 27, 2022, 06:50:21 AM »
I've not seen Gilmour live solo (I've seen him with Pink Floyd) but in all his concert videos he rarely says anything at all to the audience, and while I've heard him swear in interviews, I can't imagine he would on stage. He's a very "stiff upper lip" kind of guy. Now, Roger Waters on the other hand....... 

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #1710 on: June 27, 2022, 08:26:09 AM »
I've not seen Gilmour live solo (I've seen him with Pink Floyd) but in all his concert videos he rarely says anything at all to the audience, and while I've heard him swear in interviews, I can't imagine he would on stage. He's a very "stiff upper lip" kind of guy. Now, Roger Waters on the other hand.......
As Kev pointed out, I meant Roger Waters (whoops)! I’ve never followed Pink Floyd super closely. How would you describe Waters’ live presence?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: June 27, 2022, 08:43:35 AM »
As Kev pointed out, I meant Roger Waters (whoops)! I’ve never followed Pink Floyd super closely. How would you describe Waters’ live presence?

My opinion (from videos, as I have not seen him live myself)?  Aggressive.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1712 on: June 27, 2022, 09:24:45 AM »
I've seen him twice. It gets both political and dirty. If you're only into rocking out to a concert, it might probably rub you the wrong way.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #1713 on: June 27, 2022, 10:46:42 AM »
Cool, that’s what I’d heard but I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #1714 on: June 27, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
Yeah, roger waters puts on a great show (the wall tour was just incredible) but you’re definitely going to hear rogers view (from the top) of the world at the concert  :lol