Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 167792 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1715 on: June 27, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »
Yeah, roger waters puts on a great show (the wall tour was just incredible) but you’re definitely going to hear rogers view (from the top) of the world at the concert  :lol

:lol

Yes, and he doesn't care either. When he toured Texas during his last run, I went to the San Antonio show and he just trashed Trump and showed images and shit. I'm not a Trump supporter but you could hear the whispers and the awkward silence of the crowd since a lot of Texas support/supported Trump when Rogers toured Texas. I would put it under "aggressive" like what Stads said. At least that is how he did it in Texas. The show, the lights, and the music were superb though. His rants did not keep me from enjoying the music.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:16:49 AM by goo-goo »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1716 on: June 27, 2022, 05:05:51 PM »
Given that Roger has been lip synching a lot of the music live for years now, I am guessing he saves his voice for the political rants.  :lol :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1717 on: June 28, 2022, 02:49:10 AM »
Yeah, roger waters puts on a great show (the wall tour was just incredible) but you’re definitely going to hear rogers view (from the top) of the world at the concert  :lol

Yes, and he doesn't care either. When he toured Texas during his last run, I went to the San Antonio show and he just trashed Trump and showed images and shit. I'm not a Trump supporter but you could hear the whispers and the awkward silence of the crowd since a lot of Texas support/supported Trump when Rogers toured Texas. I would put it under "aggressive" like what Stads said. At least that is how he did it in Texas. The show, the lights, and the music were superb though. His rants did not keep me from enjoying the music.

Yeah, I know there were quite a few issues on that tour, but quite why Trump supporters are going to a Waters gig in the first place is beyond me
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1718 on: June 28, 2022, 05:54:52 AM »

Yeah, I know there were quite a few issues on that tour, but quite why Trump supporters are going to a Waters gig in the first place is beyond me

I don't follow that; I've been to two shows where the singer was booed for his political diatribes - REM and Springsteen - and in a blue state at that.  I didn't boo myself, but certainly Stipe's rant was not up my alley.  Doesn't mean I can't like their music.  There are plenty of bands whose politics don't jibe with mine - including Waters - and I would go to see him in a heartbeat if it didn't take an entire car payment to do it (commie my ass!  I kid! I kid! I kid!). 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: July 01, 2022, 06:57:29 AM »

Warner Music today announced the upcoming release of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' on Deluxe Gatefold, CD, LP, Blu-ray and SACD. The individual versions will be available on September 16, 2022 with the Deluxe version available from October 7, 2022. This is the first time the album will have been available on 5.1 Surround Sound. 'Animals' is the tenth studio album by Pink Floyd, originally released in January 1977. It was recorded at the band's Britannia Row Studios in London throughout 1976 and early 1977, and was produced by the band themselves. The successful album peaked at number 2 in the UK and number 3 in the US, and is considered as one of the band's best works. The album was recorded by band members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright. 'Animals 2018 Remix' will be released on CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, SACD and Deluxe Gatefold formats. The Deluxe Gatefold version includes LP, CD, audio Blu-ray, audio DVD and a 32-page book. The Blu-ray and DVD audio include the 2018 remix in Stereo, 5.1 Surround (both by James Guthrie) and the original 1977 Stereo mix. The 32-page booklet features rarely seen behind the scenes photographs of the album sleeve shoot along with live images and memorabilia. The album artwork has been reimagined for this release.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1720 on: July 01, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »
I'm trying to remember, is it true that the release was delayed because Roger wanted to do the liner notes and David wasn't into the idea? If so, what is the end result, does the reissue feature the liner notes or not?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: July 01, 2022, 07:51:14 AM »
https://www.pinkfloydz.com/pink-floyd-animals-deluxe-edition-released-september-16th-2022/

"What precipitated this note is that there are new James Guthrie Stereo and 5.1 mixes of the Pink Floyd album, "Animals”, 1977,” begins Waters. "These mixes have languished unreleased because of a dispute over some sleeve notes that Mark Blake has written for this new release. Gilmour has vetoed the release of the album unless these liner notes are removed. He does not dispute the veracity of the history described in Mark's notes, but he wants that history to remain secret. I am agreeing to the release of the new ‘Animals' remix, with the sleeve notes removed", Waters continues. "Good work James Guthrie by the way, and sorry Mark Blake. The final draft of the liner notes was fact checked and agreed as factually correct by me, Nick and Gilmour".

Waters then goes on to share Blake's liner notes for the set, which fans can read on his Facebook page.

I can't find the liner notes on his FB page though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: July 01, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
https://www.pinkfloydz.com/pink-floyd-animals-deluxe-edition-released-september-16th-2022/

"What precipitated this note is that there are new James Guthrie Stereo and 5.1 mixes of the Pink Floyd album, "Animals”, 1977,” begins Waters. "These mixes have languished unreleased because of a dispute over some sleeve notes that Mark Blake has written for this new release. Gilmour has vetoed the release of the album unless these liner notes are removed. He does not dispute the veracity of the history described in Mark's notes, but he wants that history to remain secret. I am agreeing to the release of the new ‘Animals' remix, with the sleeve notes removed", Waters continues. "Good work James Guthrie by the way, and sorry Mark Blake. The final draft of the liner notes was fact checked and agreed as factually correct by me, Nick and Gilmour".

Waters then goes on to share Blake's liner notes for the set, which fans can read on his Facebook page.

I can't find the liner notes on his FB page though.

You can read them here (scroll down a little)

https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1723 on: July 01, 2022, 10:12:27 AM »
I honestly have no idea what Gilmour's issue is with those notes. Nothing terrible and all really nice history.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1724 on: July 01, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »
It might be that it give Waters a lot of (Almost all?) the credit for everything, idk  ???
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: July 01, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Admittedly, I'm sort of Team Gilmour on a lot of this, if for no other reason that I'm not all that sympathetic to the bitterness; it's not as if Roger was relegated to the dust bin as a result of anything Gilmour did.  From my vantage point, all Gilmour did was not kowtow low enough.  Contrast that with Rick Wright who was essentially exiled for a period by Waters.   

I don't know if it's Gilmour denying truth or anything like that; I can sort of see Gilmour not wanting to inject the bitterness into the release.  It's already a dark, bleak (albeit excellent) record.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1726 on: July 01, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »
Yeah, the only takeaway I have from those notes is Roger takes quite a bit (all?) of the credit for things. They seem to have quite a relationship these days.  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1727 on: July 01, 2022, 12:52:57 PM »
I can't believe Roger Waters is complaining about something again, said no one in the history of the world.

But their feud at this point is one-sided.  Gilmour never says anything.  Meanwhile, Waters is still the bitter old man yelling about anything and everything.  Too bad, cause it seemed like he had mellowed out a bit years ago, but something must have happened to reignite his angry bastard fire.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1728 on: July 01, 2022, 01:33:37 PM »
David did make a very brief statement about this. And I’m sure it’s possible he has ulterior motives that he doesn’t wish to communicate. But his public statement was something to the effect that prior releases didn’t have any history or liner notes and the the Pink Floyd image was very enigmatic and mysterious and he felt that the releases up to this point have reflected that and he didn’t see any reason that should change.

Shrug
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: July 01, 2022, 01:34:48 PM »
David did make a very brief statement about this. And I’m sure it’s possible he has ulterior motives that he doesn’t wish to communicate. But his public statement was something to the effect that prior releases didn’t have any history or liner notes and the the Pink Floyd image was very enigmatic and mysterious and he felt that the releases up to this point have reflected that and he didn’t see any reason that should change.

Shrug

He's not wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: July 01, 2022, 06:48:25 PM »
I can't believe Roger Waters is complaining about something again, said no one in the history of the world.

But their feud at this point is one-sided.  Gilmour never says anything.  Meanwhile, Waters is still the bitter old man yelling about anything and everything.  Too bad, cause it seemed like he had mellowed out a bit years ago, but something must have happened to reignite his angry bastard fire.

I felt the same way, hell there was even a point where they seemed friendly.

btw I love the new cover of Animals. I always thought it was the weakest of the 70's albums but I'm excited to get this release.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: July 01, 2022, 07:36:11 PM »
That new cover does look sharp.

I have never bought a new release of an album I already owned, with a couple exceptions that had some additional material included, such as live, demo and/or unreleased tracks. This album could change that trend, depending on price.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1732 on: July 02, 2022, 05:34:22 AM »
I suspect I will end up passing on this once I see the price, but I have a friend who will get it, and he has a super duper awesome surround sound system, so I will still get to hear it.  Hearing Dogs and Sheep both in surround sound will inspire much awe (not as excited about Pigs, as that song has never been a favorite of mine). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: July 02, 2022, 07:17:10 AM »
That's one thing about Floyd; they specifically always seem to be a click more expensive than other releases.  I don't know if that's great marketing, because the market demands it, or something else, but I can't imagine this is going to be a no-brainer from a cost perspective.  For Floyd, in particular, I usually wait until I can get it on eBay or Discogs at a discount.  I'm all for supporting the artists I love, but David Gilmour is in the elite levels of rock star wealth, and Roger, well, I'm just expediting the wealth reallocation... :) :) ;)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1734 on: July 02, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »

Shrug

Probably on team Roger with most things, but this makes a lot of sense to me. There are books available if you want to read about that stuff. Gilmour has always largely been about the music from those years. Robert Fripp is the somewhat opposite but each has established precedents.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1735 on: July 02, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »
I finally watched the Delicate Sound of Thunder Bluray I bought over a year ago. I never watched the original video release so can't compare but this new updated version looks really good and the sound is great. I kinda regret not getting the Later Years set seeing as it sells for insane amounts, it would have been worth it at the time as you were getting several albums. The PULSE bluray is also available as a standalone set now but looks like all they did was upscale it rather than a new transfer like Delicate. Will have to read more and see if it's worth it. The delicate box set is fantastic IMO.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1736 on: July 03, 2022, 07:07:07 AM »
I finally watched the Delicate Sound of Thunder Bluray I bought over a year ago. I never watched the original video release so can't compare but this new updated version looks really good and the sound is great. I kinda regret not getting the Later Years set seeing as it sells for insane amounts, it would have been worth it at the time as you were getting several albums. The PULSE bluray is also available as a standalone set now but looks like all they did was upscale it rather than a new transfer like Delicate. Will have to read more and see if it's worth it. The delicate box set is fantastic IMO.

For someone like yourself, who never saw the original Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS, I am sure that Blu-ray was totally awesome.

For someone like me, who used to watch the original VHS all the time, the Blu-ray felt like revisionist history.  By de-emphasizing a lot of the sounds of that era (the 80s, the horror!), the Blu-ray is not a faithful representation of what they sounded like in late 80s.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: July 03, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »
I agree with you Kev, I actually really don't care for the remaster of Momentary Lapse either. That album was one of the first I remember hearing so the remaster sounds incredibly jarring to me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: July 03, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
I've said the original VHS may be my most watched video ever, so it will always have a special place in my memories. I've only watched the BD once, and marvel at how beautiful it looks. I was more focused on the visuals I didn't listen close enough to notice changes to the sound, outside of some instances that didn't bother me. I've yet to just listen to it without the video.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1739 on: July 03, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »
Visually it was still very 80s, not sure how much of the re-edit removed the old stuff, I'll try and track down a VHS/laserdisc copy of it one day. I did a quick audio comparison of the 1988 and I can see how the new 2019 remix has really muted the 80s feel of the album. I mean it's still there but less in your face with the snare sound and the textures flying all around. I haven't listened to the 2019 one that much, I might just stick to the original one even though it seems to have fewer tracks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1740 on: July 04, 2022, 07:33:53 AM »
Has been ages since I've re-listened to Pink Floyd, catching up on the 2011 Remaster of Dark Side of the Moon. I do have the original CD as well, going to listen to that to compare how much difference there is. The various releases on each album is going to drive any completist crazy, I would've been broke if I even attempted to complete their discography.

Listening to Meddle after years, the opening couple of mins of Fearless was the song that was in my head some months ago and I was trying to track the song and at the time assumed it was a Led Zepplin track. Some of the acoustic-driven tracks on Meddle could easily pass for LZ tracks.

Obscured By Clouds is next.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1741 on: July 07, 2022, 05:57:36 PM »
So, Waters' tour began last night, and he apparently ends In the Flesh by firing at the crowd with a fake semi-automatic.  Good grief. I knew he has done that in the past, but given the current climate and how politically conscious he seems to be, it is unreal that he would think that is a good idea. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1742 on: July 08, 2022, 01:20:42 AM »
I dunno. Five years ago in Paris, Till Lindemann of Rammstein dressed himself as a suicide bomber and "blew himself up" on stage, just less than a year after the terrorist attacks. The crowd understood it and loved it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1743 on: July 08, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
Blowing yourself up is still something that you watch more than participate in.  Sure, if it was real, there would be collateral damage, but within the context of a metal show, it's just spectacle.

Someone "pretending" to spray you with an automatic weapon doesn't give you the choice to just watch.  You react, and I would think that the reactions were not universally positive.  It seems like a completely stupid thing to do in the name of entertainment.  If that's not what he was going for, and it was another example of Waters making a point, or whatever, then this just confirms to me what an asshole he is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: July 08, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »
Blowing yourself up is still something that you watch more than participate in.  Sure, if it was real, there would be collateral damage, but within the context of a metal show, it's just spectacle.

Someone "pretending" to spray you with an automatic weapon doesn't give you the choice to just watch.  You react, and I would think that the reactions were not universally positive.  It seems like a completely stupid thing to do in the name of entertainment.  If that's not what he was going for, and it was another example of Waters making a point, or whatever, then this just confirms to me what an asshole he is.

"Asshole" is subjective (though I agree with you) but that's Roger. He's the kind of guy that things that people can and should be "shocked" into agreement.  As if standing there listening to his angry screeds is going to enlighten anybody.  I think Roger has lost a bit of his perspective in that regard; that he's angry doesn't mean it's right or appropriate.  No one has a market on being "angry".

For someone like me, that doesn't believe the problem is "guns" per se, I'd be sitting there thinking, "if the guns are so fucking bad, why are YOU shooting it? What's making it so important that YOU get to make that statement?"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1745 on: July 15, 2022, 06:24:31 PM »
So, Waters' tour began last night, and he apparently ends In the Flesh by firing at the crowd with a fake semi-automatic.  Good grief. I knew he has done that in the past, but given the current climate and how politically conscious he seems to be, it is unreal that he would think that is a good idea.

As always he's still trying to make the point.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: July 15, 2022, 07:32:58 PM »
I listened to some of the DSoT remix today, albeit on headphones while at work, and I didn't find the changes too bothersome. I could recognize some changes, but nothing that was jarring or distracting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: July 18, 2022, 06:48:36 AM »

"Asshole" is subjective (though I agree with you) but that's Roger. He's the kind of guy that things that people can and should be "shocked" into agreement.  As if standing there listening to his angry screeds is going to enlighten anybody.  I think Roger has lost a bit of his perspective in that regard; that he's angry doesn't mean it's right or appropriate.  No one has a market on being "angry".

For someone like me, that doesn't believe the problem is "guns" per se, I'd be sitting there thinking, "if the guns are so fucking bad, why are YOU shooting it? What's making it so important that YOU get to make that statement?"

I know it's lame to quote yourself, but I DID ask "what's making it so important that YOU get to make that statement", and apparently, it's Roger himself.  In his own words, he considers himself "far, far more important" than artists like Drake and The Weeknd

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1748 on: July 18, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »
I have no idea who The Weeknd or Drake are, so I do have to agree with Rog on that. (Up until just now I thought The Weeknd were a group...)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1749 on: July 18, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
I don't necessarily disagree with his statement itself - Pink Floyd has several albums that have reached such a classic status that 50 years later they are still being talked, discussed and discovered by new people all over the world. Right now at this moment in time it's also fair to say that Roger Waters as a musician is less relevant than Drake or The Weeknd. I'd be curious to see how their legacy shapes up because it's not like either of them has produced a modern day Dark Side of the Moon (or something to that affect) and as big as they may be now - how big will they be 50 years from now? Will people still talk about their music in the same fashion people talk about the music Roger Waters has been part of?

With all of that said I think the fact he feels a need to bang his own drum makes him come off as a grumpy grandpa a bit out of touch with the reality today and I don't think arrogance or a feel of self importance is ever a good look even if the person has achieved great things.