Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164635 times)

frogprog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1750 on: July 18, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »
I said in another thread, in a different context, if you have to tell people how important you are...  maybe you're not that important.   :)

I know Roger holds this stuff with a tremendous amount of gravity, but talking about politics doesn't make you important (and yes, I am aware what I'm saying).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1751 on: July 18, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »
I said in another thread, in a different context, if you have to tell people how important you are...  maybe you're not that important.   :)

I know Roger holds this stuff with a tremendous amount of gravity, but talking about politics doesn't make you important (and yes, I am aware what I'm saying).

I think it's also about demographics. I have a feeling that most people in the Drake/Weeknd camp will see these headlines and go "Roger who?!". It's artists relevant to different people (both culture and age) and while I'm sure there's a small sliver of overlap between fans this feels like such a weird grouping to begin with. Never before has Roger Waters been referenced in the same context as Drake or The Weeknd.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1752 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »
Yes, but Roger has, not one, but two albums that have sold over 15 million. As far as I can tell, not even the Beatles have matched that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: July 18, 2022, 02:29:07 PM »
Yes, but Roger has, not one, but two albums that have sold over 15 million. As far as I can tell, not even the Beatles have matched that.

No, Roger has one gold record (Pros and Cons).  Pink Floyd has two diamonds - DSOTM at 15M and The Wall at 23M.   That's actually 15M and 11.5M, though because doubles count, well, double.  The Beatles have three:  Sgt. Pepper at 11M, Abbey Road at 12M and TWA at 24M, which is really 12M, because that's a double. (I'm using RIAA numbers, by the way). 

I said Roger has only one gold record, but the two Roger-less Floyd records are both platinum (4M and 3M) and Dave's first TWO solo records are gold.    I'm not saying this to argue with you, but just to say that maybe Roger has an over-inflated sense of himself.  He seems like to take credit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1754 on: July 18, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
I was actually referring to the PF records you mentioned with his involvement. Which is still worlds better than anything those other two artists will ever do.

Still a dick thing to say, but…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: July 18, 2022, 02:53:43 PM »
I love Roger Waters but I cringe at some of the thingd he says.

Sure with Pink Floyd Roger has some classic albums but... I saw a list today of all songs that have been certified diamond. That's 10 times platinum certified. There were several songs there by both The Weekend and Drake but none from Pink Floyd or Roger Waters.

They are much more popular today and the Canadian papers that Roger lashed out at did the right thing by writing about them over Roger.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: July 18, 2022, 03:32:08 PM »
I was actually referring to the PF records you mentioned with his involvement. Which is still worlds better than anything those other two artists will ever do.

Still a dick thing to say, but…

Drake has three albums over 4x Platinum
Weeknd has two over 4x, and one at 2x (released in 2020).

I'm not singing the praises of either of these guys; the Weeknd can sing (obs can't spell) but Drake is a non-entity to me.  I just hate the sort of musical snobbery.  So fucking what that Roger is singing about politics?  In my world, that's not a virtue, that's part of the problem.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1757 on: July 18, 2022, 08:30:42 PM »
I saw this over the weeknd (pun intended) and was wondering if someone was gonna post it here. :P

To me, the statement being true and Roger saying it are two separate issues.

The idea of who is more important all depends on which generation you ask. 

Roger actually saying it reminds me of those celebs who pull the, "Don't you know who I am?" line.  If you have to loudly proclaim how important you are, you probably aren't as important as you think.  Like Bill said, the brand name that is important is Pink Floyd. Not Roger Waters.  Not David Gilmour.  Pink Floyd.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1758 on: July 21, 2022, 12:29:16 AM »
BTW comparing sold albums to modern platforms wouldn't work anyway? The digital platform is far bigger than records have ever been. I love Pink Floyd but I don't think anything like Beatles, PF etc. can compare to the reach modern music gets, no matter how influencal they have been for their time. Guessing a bit and basing it on some articles. But basically, we are in a global world, we have digital platforms, there's more money per person in the world etc. At the same time hard to say how much the music will stay important for that era when looking back. PF didn't compete with the same amount of music as what we have now and really stand out for that era, meanwhile today's music easier gets lost or doesn't stick for as long for various reasons.

Also, would be nice for Roger to get back to earth. He has been stuck on Mars for quite some time now. Never liked how The Wall became politics, with a clear statement, instead of being art where the subject and importance is derived for every individual. And then talking about importance, is he saying that he is important for standing up against the rise of fascism? Because I don't think he is. Actually I am sure most people watch The Wall for completely different reasons than it's complex and deep understanding on the subject or Roger screaming out "don't trust the government" etc. on stage. For me Roger sure as hell didn't impact that much. School and much smarter people have learnt me about the fascism and it's history.

Haha weird how statements like this actually make me want Drake and Weeknd to become lasting legacies just so Roger can be wrong 😁
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:42:11 AM by Pettor »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1759 on: July 21, 2022, 05:40:45 AM »
I've been saying for years I'd love to see Roger pick up an acoustic guitar, put together a small band, and just play some songs. No big bombast, just some songs. I really loved those lockdown sessions he did, I'd have loved him to have played some small acoustic dates and put out a live album or something. Listening to him sing Gunner's Dream or Two Suns in the Sunset in a small, intimate setting like that was far more powerful and emotionally affecting than in some mega-stadium with inflatables and lasers and random architecture and political slogans and whatnot.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: July 21, 2022, 09:48:41 AM »
BTW comparing sold albums to modern platforms wouldn't work anyway? The digital platform is far bigger than records have ever been. I love Pink Floyd but I don't think anything like Beatles, PF etc. can compare to the reach modern music gets, no matter how influencal they have been for their time. Guessing a bit and basing it on some articles. But basically, we are in a global world, we have digital platforms, there's more money per person in the world etc. At the same time hard to say how much the music will stay important for that era when looking back. PF didn't compete with the same amount of music as what we have now and really stand out for that era, meanwhile today's music easier gets lost or doesn't stick for as long for various reasons.

I like your point here, and it's an important one; what I would want to know, though, is whether that greater reach actually DILUTES the message.  So much of music (and art in general) is disposable, that we're past our saturation point.  I used to get an album and IMMERSE muself in it.  Sit and read all the liner notes.  Listen to albums over and over again, because I didn't have that much to compete with.  Now, I buy a CD and easily half or more of them I listen to once and if it doesn't grab me it goes on the shelf, until I need to listen again for a roulette, a concert, or a ranking.   How many of us - especially those of us over a certain age, say 35 - can recite all the little interludes on an album like The Wall?  I can tell you most of the background narrative on Dark Side of the Moon ("Why should I be frightened of dying.  There's no reason for it; you gotta go sometime." or "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time... haha yeah... I was in the right!"  "I certainly WAS in the right!") yet I can barely tell you what half the songs on the new Wolfie Van Halen sound like, and I LIKE that record.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: July 21, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
I used to get an album and IMMERSE muself in it.  Sit and read all the liner notes.  Listen to albums over and over again, because I didn't have that much to compete with.  Now, I buy a CD and easily half or more of them I listen to once and if it doesn't grab me it goes on the shelf, until I need to listen again for a roulette, a concert, or a ranking.   How many of us - especially those of us over a certain age, say 35 - can recite all the little interludes on an album like The Wall?  I can tell you most of the background narrative on Dark Side of the Moon ("Why should I be frightened of dying.  There's no reason for it; you gotta go sometime." or "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time... haha yeah... I was in the right!"  "I certainly WAS in the right!")...

You perfectly described me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: August 27, 2022, 09:47:36 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1763 on: August 27, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »
I can't read that, but how does that work?  Given that I would think all of the living members would have to be in agreement with this, and Roger never agrees with anyone anymore on anything, it is hard to imagine he and David coming to a mutual agreement on this to where both were content.

This is definitely a new trend, though.  They are just the latest in what is becoming a long line of legacy artists who are selling their back catalogue for a bundle.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1764 on: September 25, 2022, 05:58:54 AM »
Anyone get the 5.1 of Animals that finally was released?  I didn't, but a buddy did and I listened to it at his house the other day.  It sounded good, but solidified the fact that I have heard enough 5.1s now that I have little to no interest in ever buying anymore.  Far too often, moments of great emphasis or punch are lost in the surround sound experience because the 5.1 focuses too much on fleshing everything out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1765 on: September 25, 2022, 07:11:22 AM »
I'm still planning on getting it someday.  I've only ever gotten 5.1 mixes of albums I really love and know very well.  For me, the big draw is separation.  I want to hear all the instruments, everything that's there.  If there are three electric guitars and an acoustic all blending together to make an awesome sound, that's great, but I also want to hear each guitar separately.  Are they playing different inversions?  How do the strumming or picking patterns combine and complement each other?

Anyway, I don't know if any of that applies to Animals, but I'm assuming it does because I've been listening to that album for 40+ years and still hear parts I didn't hear before, there's so much going on.  I want to hear them all!  And if that fucks with the actual mix or the impact of any given section, yeah, that's bad.  But 5.1 is not much usual listening mode.  I break out the 5.1 and sit in the sweet spot in the middle of the couch only when I have the house to myself, which is rare these days.  The stereo mix is what I'll always return to.  But I love checking out a good 5.1 mix.  I want to hear everything.  It's almost like a "purely academic" interest.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1766 on: September 25, 2022, 08:27:22 AM »
I'm still planning on getting it someday.  I've only ever gotten 5.1 mixes of albums I really love and know very well.  For me, the big draw is separation.  I want to hear all the instruments, everything that's there.  If there are three electric guitars and an acoustic all blending together to make an awesome sound, that's great, but I also want to hear each guitar separately.  Are they playing different inversions?  How do the strumming or picking patterns combine and complement each other?

Anyway, I don't know if any of that applies to Animals, but I'm assuming it does because I've been listening to that album for 40+ years and still hear parts I didn't hear before, there's so much going on.  I want to hear them all!  And if that fucks with the actual mix or the impact of any given section, yeah, that's bad.  But 5.1 is not much usual listening mode.  I break out the 5.1 and sit in the sweet spot in the middle of the couch only when I have the house to myself, which is rare these days.  The stereo mix is what I'll always return to.  But I love checking out a good 5.1 mix.  I want to hear everything.  It's almost like a "purely academic" interest.

I get all of this. Very well said, sir.

I guess for me, I just know I would listen to them once and never go back, and a longtime friend buys 90% of the ones I'd also buy, so I can always just listen to his when he buys them.  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1767 on: September 25, 2022, 03:59:46 PM »
That's the way to go, then. :tup

So far, I've bought about 90% of the ones I want, too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1768 on: October 01, 2022, 08:16:15 PM »
Anyone get the 5.1 of Animals that finally was released?  I didn't, but a buddy did and I listened to it at his house the other day.  It sounded good, but solidified the fact that I have heard enough 5.1s now that I have little to no interest in ever buying anymore.  Far too often, moments of great emphasis or punch are lost in the surround sound experience because the 5.1 focuses too much on fleshing everything out.

Planning on it, but I really don't care about 5.1.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1769 on: December 13, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »
I managed to score some these Immersion sets for $30 (TDSOTM) & $20 (The Wall), they were missing a disc or two in each that didn't matter to me. Everything else is there and the package is truly well put. Love the big photo album that came with them. On the lookout for the Wish You Were Here Immersion set now.

That's on my list to get as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: December 13, 2022, 11:36:50 PM »
Pic not showing for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #1771 on: December 14, 2022, 04:23:48 AM »
Pic not showing for me.

Here's the direct link if that helps.
https://i.imgur.com/9mB5toB.jpg
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1772 on: December 14, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
I picked up the 2018 remix CD that was released in the fall. Gotta say, I really enjoyed it. I'd call me a big time casual fan of Pink Floyd. I'm certainly not a hardcore, and most passionate about the Meddle-The Wall period. I'm not surprised how much I loved the new mix though, considering it was done by James Guthrie.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline emtee

« Reply #1773 on: March 03, 2023, 10:47:03 AM »
March 1 marked the 50th birthday of Dark Side Of The Moon. Hard to believe I've been listening to it for that long. This was a game changer for me and millions of others. Tonight I shall celebrate with a glass of Merlot and my headphones...and remember all the memories tied to this masterpiece.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1774 on: March 03, 2023, 12:58:24 PM »
Ha ha, when I saw that this thread was bumped I assumed it was because Roger Waters just released the first glimpse of his solo version of The Dark Side of the Moon, which I saw just half an hour ago.  I haven't listened to it, and have no plans to, but I'm not surprised that it's getting roasted online.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1775 on: March 03, 2023, 01:04:33 PM »
I’m assuming this is the clip you’re referring to:
https://youtu.be/TPDNQYhNyGQ

This sounds dreadful

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1776 on: March 03, 2023, 03:24:20 PM »
Yep.  Still didn't listen to it, though.  I'll take your word for it.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1777 on: March 03, 2023, 03:40:50 PM »
To go from the original vocal of "Us & Them" to that of a 79-year old Roger Waters is horrible.  Absolutely no need for this!  Sure, it's basically all his.  But, it's unnecessary.

Online T-ski

« Reply #1778 on: March 03, 2023, 03:41:10 PM »
There’s a touring group called Classic Albums Live and they stopped in my area and did DSOTM, note for note in its entirety, without any breaks, and they nailed it. The second half of the show they played Pink Floyd’s greatest hits. They obviously closed with Comfortably Numb and I was hoping the guitarist did the solo justice and he did not disappoint. If they come to your neck of the woods I highly recommend it!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1779 on: March 03, 2023, 05:59:53 PM »
I’m assuming this is the clip you’re referring to:
https://youtu.be/TPDNQYhNyGQ

This sounds dreadful

Sweet Jesus that's bad.

Gilmour needs to up his troll game here, this is a golden opportunity to re-record The Final Cut as a country & western hoedown.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1780 on: March 03, 2023, 06:22:40 PM »
To go from the original vocal of "Us & Them" to that of a 79-year old Roger Waters is horrible.  Absolutely no need for this!  Sure, it's basically all his.  But, it's unnecessary.

I am not so sure I would call Dark Side "basically all his."  The lyrics and concepts, yes, but the music, not as much.  Only 3 of the 10 songs did Roger write by himself, and the music of Us and Them, the song you referenced, was written by Richard Wright.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: March 03, 2023, 08:11:12 PM »
Have you guys watched the classic albums video on Dark Side? It's a great look how it was put together and to no-ones surprise it was a collaborative effort.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1782 on: March 03, 2023, 10:27:58 PM »

I am not so sure I would call Dark Side "basically all his."  The lyrics and concepts, yes, but the music, not as much.

Unfortunately, in his mind, that's all it takes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1783 on: March 04, 2023, 11:13:56 AM »

I am not so sure I would call Dark Side "basically all his."  The lyrics and concepts, yes, but the music, not as much.

Unfortunately, in his mind, that's all it takes.

To Roger's credit (a tiny amount), the report from a few weeks ago that was discussed in another thread where he supposedly said he replaced all of Gilmour's terrible solos was debunked by Roger himself, who went on social media and ripped the writer for making that up, and Roger reiterated that he loves all of Gilmour's solos that he did in the Dark Side through The Wall era and called them some of the best guitar solos ever, so for all of the BS, at least Roger still recognizes some of the greatness in his own work that was done by others.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: March 06, 2023, 07:16:01 AM »
Look, for a lot of reasons, I'm in the front row to knock Roger Waters down a peg or two.  But fair is fucking fair here. This is cut and pasted directly from the site at that link:

It's not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable. But it is a way for the seventy nine year old man to look back across the intervening fifty years into the eyes of the twenty nine year old and say, to quote a poem of mine about my Father, "We did our best, we kept his trust, our Dad would have been proud of us". And also it is a way for me to honor a recording that Nick and Rick and Dave and I have every right to be very proud of.

That's not at all the same as saying "I'm re-recording this because it was all mine."

And by the way, if you watch that Classic Albums piece on DSOTM, I'm pretty sure it gives most of the credit for "Us And Them" to Rick Wright; the music came first, if I recall, and I think there was even a reference to the music inspiring the lyrics.