Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164076 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1400 on: December 23, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Because I was only looking for a single seat, I managed to get a pretty sweet seat.   Row F on the main floor.   My ticket is purchased.

And as a bonus, the concert happens the night before Emerald City Comic Con....and the Paramount is literally right next door to the Convention Center where the Con takes place....AAAANNNDDD my wife and I managed to get the hotel to extend our stay to Wednesday night, so all I have to do is walk to my hotel after the show and then wake up and go to Comic Con.   

That's going to be an AWESOME weekend.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1402 on: August 29, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
So two things:  one, assuming that they are (at least for the time being) skipping the "Middle Years", since the "Early Years" ended around Obscured By Clouds?  Or do the "Immersion" box sets cover that period?   

Two, not that I would spend $500 on this alone, but does the Pulse material include the two soundscapes that were available only on cassette tape? 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1403 on: August 29, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
Below is the complete breakdown. I don't think it will since the Pulse show is 145 mins on this tracklist and on the DVD that was released a while back.

CDs
5 x CDs, contained in their own 60-page, hardback book, containing a guide to all content, tracklistings, exhaustive content detail and credits.

CD 1 ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’ Updated & Remixed 51 mins
CD 2 & 3 ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Remixed 140 mins
CD 4 Live Recordings, 1987 & 1994 Unreleased Studio Recordings 65 mins
CD 5 Knebworth Concert 1990 57 mins

Blu-rays
6 x Blu-rays, each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits. Discs contained in protective plastic sleeves inside wallet.

Blu-ray 1   Surround & Hi-res Audio Mixes 152 mins
Blu-ray 2   ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Restored & Remixed 120 mins
Blu-ray 3   ‘Pulse’ Restored & Re-edited 145 mins
Blu-ray 4   Venice Concert 1989 & Knebworth Concert 1990 147 mins Blu-ray 5   Unreleased Live Films Music Videos & Concert Screen Films 154 mins
Blu-ray 6   Documentaries & Unreleased Material 122 mins

DVD
5 x DVDs (duplicating the content of Blu-rays 2-6 above), each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits.

7” Singles
2 x 7” vinyl singles in brand-new picture sleeves, featuring ‘Arnold Layne’ performed live by Pink Floyd at the Syd Barrett Tribute concert, 2007 and Lost For Words from the Pulse tour rehearsals at Earl’s Court.

Photo Book
60-page hard backed book of photos designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios, including many previously unseen images.

Replica Tour Programmes and Lyric Book
A newly-created set of reproduction tour programmes (Pink Floyd World Tour 1987/1988, Pink Floyd Live 1989, Pink Floyd European Tour 1994), plus a brand new Lyrics Book, designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios.

Memorabilia
A collection of reproduction memorabilia including tour passes, stickers and posters, all printed to replicate the originals, and contained in a prestige card envelope.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1404 on: August 29, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
The Venice and Knebworth shows are exciting, as well as a the restored Delicate Sound of Thunda!

Oh and unreleased studio recordings from the Momentary Lapse and Division Bell sessions?!?!?

Too bad I'm a broke ass bitch
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: August 29, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
Blu-ray 2   ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Restored & Remixed 120 mins

:o :caffeine:  :metal :hat :hefdaddy :millahhhh

This has always been my favorite concert video ever since I first got it on VHS decades ago. And the one I was certain was never going to make it on DVD, to say nothing of BD.

That Venice show is pretty neat from a visual standpoint based on the location.

I wish they would blow up these ridiculous box sets and release the items as stand alone. How many of us who can't buy the whole set would spend $100+ on individual items of our choice?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1406 on: August 29, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
They did that with the Early Years box set, though there were a few items that were only available in the complete set.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: August 29, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »
Wait...

Y NO DIVISION BELL?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
They did that with the Early Years box set, though there were a few items that were only available in the complete set.

Ah, I didn't really check that out as their "Early Years" don't interest me much.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1409 on: August 29, 2019, 08:24:59 PM »
As much as I want Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD or Blu-ray, I ain't paying all that money for that box set just for that (and most of the rest either doesn't interest me or is something I will watch/listen to once and never again).  Hard pass at that price.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1410 on: August 30, 2019, 02:25:48 AM »
Wait...

Y NO DIVISION BELL?

Both Division Bell and Endless River are on DVD/Blu-Ray disc 1.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: August 30, 2019, 03:12:58 AM »
Shit this is expensive, however my birthday is a few weeks away and I love momentary and divinsion bell Floyd.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1412 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:58 AM »
Yeah, very expensive. Too rich for my blood  :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: August 30, 2019, 05:43:50 AM »
Wait...

Y NO DIVISION BELL?

Both Division Bell and Endless River are on DVD/Blu-Ray disc 1.

WTF no CD release? Not to rage but that is so GD annoying. Not specific to this set but in general, putting out such a mammoth package as this and releasing an album NOT in standard CD format? Seriously.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1414 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
That seems to be a trend among some older bands.  Not all, but definitely some.  They put out these huge packages that cost hundreds and don't release a smaller version or just the video or just the music.  Not everybody has shitloads of money to spend on these packages, and it seems like they're missing an opportunity.  I've love to have upgraded versions of a lot of my media, but a little bit at a time as I can afford it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1415 on: November 29, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
Some of the new mixes are now out officially;
Sorrow https://youtu.be/l_LbAz9Dn_w
One Slip https://youtu.be/pA26asdVH1E

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: November 30, 2019, 06:11:02 AM »
I think I'm going bite the bullet and order this.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: November 30, 2019, 09:52:00 PM »
Some live videos from DSoT for this new release up on YouTube too.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1418 on: November 30, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
Man does this set look awesome, but $350 is not something I could justify dropping.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: December 01, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »
Just looked up the DSoT mixes and the footage looks awesome
 Definitely gonna buy this.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1420 on: December 01, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
Those videos manage to look so 80s, and so timeless, at the same time.

I love how Guy Pratt looks so out of place on stage with PF, but was hand-picked by David and has been playing with him (in PF and solo) for decades. 

A couple YT comments said there were changes to to some of the video shows. I thought they just remixed the audio. Can anyone confirm?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: December 01, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »
Yea so when I looked at the video it's apparently re edited from the raw footage:

https://youtu.be/qvOXcOcsayg

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:08 PM »
Well damn. That doesn't change the fact that there is no way in hell I am buying this. But I am a lot more intrigued than before. That VHS tape was probably my most watched video of any sort for a good stretch of 6-8 years. Back then I probably knew every single shot, it would be strange to see a new version.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: December 01, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
The VHS is the first video I remember watching and I watched it over and over so I'm excited to see this. I wonder how pulse will look. I think that was also re-edited. If that's true then there will be three edits of pulse.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1424 on: December 09, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
Really enjoying the podcasts with David Gilmour, they are very insightful.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: December 09, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
They are rerereleasing Pulse?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: December 09, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Yes they are. I'm curious if it'll be re-edited too.

Didn't know there were podcasts, going to look that up now.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1427 on: December 10, 2019, 01:36:53 AM »
I voted DSOTM, WYWH and... The Final Cut. I know it's not a popular opinion, but it really is Floyd's greatest album, and a stunning achievement. I'm totally happy with the fact it's just me who thinks this.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1428 on: December 10, 2019, 02:43:01 AM »
You're not, it's up there for me as well. People talk about the big four of Floyd albums, but for me, it's the big five.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1429 on: December 10, 2019, 04:20:23 AM »
I think The Final Cut is a fantastic album. Not for everyday. But for some moments it's just magical.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: December 10, 2019, 07:04:04 AM »
The final cut is great, better than animals which is entirely overrated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1431 on: December 10, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
Animals is "overrated" in the sense that (IMO) it isn't close to as good as Dark Side, Wish You Were Here or The Wall, but it is a still a damn fine record, and part of what was the greatest 4-album run of the 70's. :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1432 on: December 10, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
You guys are all nuts.  Animals is the best Pink Floyd album of all.  It was the peak of their ability to combine concept, songwriting, and playing.  It sounds fucking amazing and doesn't have an army of session guys playing on it.  It's just the four of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1433 on: December 10, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
You guys are all nuts.  Animals is the best Pink Floyd album of all.  It was the peak of their ability to combine concept, songwriting, and playing.  It sounds fucking amazing and doesn't have an army of session guys playing on it.  It's just the four of them.

It is a fantastic record, don't get me wrong.  I just love all of the others from that 4-album run more.  If I loved Pigs as much as I love Dogs and Sheep, it might be more of a photo finish for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1434 on: December 10, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
I think The Final Cut is a fantastic album. Not for everyday. But for some moments it's just magical.

Yes it is.

To me, Pink Floyd is all about two albums...
Wish You Were Here and Animals.

But I do love The Final Cut.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol