Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118401 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Lamar drops a big one in Cleveland
« Reply #1470 on: December 15, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »
Win or lose, both teams should be proud of that showing last night.  That's the way every game should be played.

:clap:

Game of the year for sure.
Yep, so far.

When I saw "cramping" the first thing I thought was "muscles or stomach?" However, I think he was pretty clear that he'd been trying to get some salt in him, so it's certainly possible he ran back to get an IV.

Also, expect a tweet from Larry Izzo calling him a pussy.

I thought it was rather impressive the way he came out of the locker room and threw that TD pass on 4th and long.  That was badass!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:31:58 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1471 on: December 15, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
Best thread title ever. :clap:

I thought it was rather impressive the way he came out of the locker room and threw that TD pass on 4th and long.  That was badass!
I think every person that watched the game thought it was badass. If you're referring to Izzo calling him a pussy, that's a different thing altogether.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1472 on: December 15, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
Best thread title ever. :clap:

Hehe, too easy.

I am stunned anyone could watch that last night and think that wasn't the issue.  That clip of him trying to get into the locker room said it all.  No one does a fast walk/half run while moving like that unless they are clenching big time and trying like hell to NOT poop their pants. Seriously.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:38:25 PM by KevShmev »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1473 on: December 15, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »
Glorious Kev.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Belichck pulling down Lynn's pants again
« Reply #1474 on: December 16, 2020, 04:04:45 AM »
Did MNF do something involving F-Zero? I didn't watch the game.

He’s referencing my avatar.

Lol. Astounding environmental awareness on my part.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1475 on: December 16, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
In all seriousness, Lamar's COVID was symptomatic, and diarrhea is one of the symptoms.  Now, we're supposedly past his illness period, but who knows. 

That's one of those things you never really think of; I imagine there has to be at least one time in the history of the NFL that someone got hit so hard they drew mud.   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1476 on: December 16, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »
In all seriousness, Lamar's COVID was symptomatic, and diarrhea is one of the symptoms.  Now, we're supposedly past his illness period, but who knows. 

That's one of those things you never really think of; I imagine there has to be at least one time in the history of the NFL that someone got hit so hard they drew mud.

Lamar took the Browns to the Super Bowl, as it were.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1477 on: December 16, 2020, 08:15:52 AM »

In Monday Night's case it was "Brown" water.   :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: December 17, 2020, 09:05:34 PM »
GG
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: December 17, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
That last two minutes was UGLY. 

"You win it."
"No, you win it."
"No, YOU win it."
"C'mon, Anthony, YOU win it."
"Nope, Jon, it's all yours."

WTF. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1480 on: December 18, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
No shit.  The biggest head scratcher to me was the Raiders with a 1st & goal inside the 5 YL and can't punch it in for the win in OT.  Horrible play calling.  JFC!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1481 on: December 18, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
So it looks like Sean Payton was pulling a Belichick move this week since the latest news is that Brees will start. Should be a great game, and a possible preview of what should have been the Super Bowl matchup 2 years ago in a fair universe.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1482 on: December 20, 2020, 07:18:04 AM »
I’m so sick of hearing about all the “weapons” and support Mahomes has compared to Rodgers. I’d rank them thusly:

Davante Adams
Tyreek Hill
Travis Kelce
Aaron Jones

2 great weapons apiece, and then each have some fair to good options. Sammy Watkins barely gets on the field. Bell is washed. Lazard and Scandling are about equal to Hardman and Robinson. Jamal Williams is as good as CEH. Green Bay’s O-Line is much healthier and they have a better defense. Matt Lefleur is great at running offense just like Reid. Other QBs, like Brady, have more weapons than Mahomes. The fact is that advanced stats show Mahomes is clearly superior to Rodgers and should be the MVP.

They say this same shit to try to discredit Roethlisberger, “the Steelers always draft great receivers”. Really? Who else besides AB has been great the last 10 years? Ju-Ju has had one good year. Everyone else has been a bust or a JAG except Claypool where it’s too soon to tell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1483 on: December 20, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
Do not put LeFleur on the same level as Reid in running an offense.  It is not close. The Titans were a clown show on offense the one year LaFleur was there and got to actually call plays.  Reid has a 20-year history of being a great play caller regardless of who his QB is and what talent he has on offense. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Bills snag the AFC East from the Hoodie
« Reply #1484 on: December 20, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
Rodgers should be the MVP. The end.

Do not put LeFleur on the same level as Reid in running an offense.  It is not close. The Titans were a clown show on offense the one year LaFleur was there and got to actually call plays.  Reid has a 20-year history of being a great play caller regardless of who his QB is and what talent he has on offense. 

I mean that only comes with experience, right? Reid def has the upper hand there. But Rodgers works so much better in LeFleurs offense than he did with McCarthy in the last 5 years. He has the potential to be at Reid’s level in a few more seasons.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1485 on: December 20, 2020, 08:43:18 AM »

I mean that only comes with experience, right? Reid def has the upper hand there. But Rodgers works so much better in LeFleurs offense than he did with McCarthy in the last 5 years. He has the potential to be at Reid’s level in a few more seasons.

True. he could certainly get there, but he has a loooooong way to go.  I'd be curious to see how LaFleur does if Rodgers got hurt and missed a few games.  We saw how clueless McCarthy was nearly every time Rodgers missed time.  On the flip side, Mahomes went down last year for a brief spell, and in the two games without him, Andy Reid, with Matt freaking Moore at QB, got 50 points out of the offense and a 1-1 record (a narrow loss to the 13-3 Packers, a win over the 10-6 Vikings).  Coaching like that makes a massive difference.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1486 on: December 20, 2020, 08:47:33 AM »
Meanwhile, did anyone else get a good laugh the other day when Randy Moss called himself the greatest WR ever?  I get that to be that great you have to have a big ego, but let's get serious.  Jerry Rice not only is the greatest WR by a huge margin, but he also never quit on a team like Moss did several times (hell, he quit on multiple teams in the same season once! :lol).  To me, "I play when I want to play" is Randy Moss in a nutshell.  I remember an article about him when he was still in his prime where it was pretty well know amongst cornerbacks in the league that if Moss did not get his early, he would shut it down for the day.  He was not a player who would have a quiet first half and then explode in the second.  If he wasn't involved early, 99% of the time he was shutting it down.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: December 20, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
Which is especially bad with WR; probably more than any other position (that touches the ball) a WR can impact plays significantly even if they never touch the ball (i.e. drawing double teams, etc.). That's partly - PARTLY - why Gronk is such a weapon.  You can't ignore him.  Moss being a part time player (and I agree with that) gives the defensive secondary an advantage.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1488 on: December 20, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
Meanwhile, did anyone else get a good laugh the other day when Randy Moss called himself the greatest WR ever?  I get that to be that great you have to have a big ego, but let's get serious.  Jerry Rice not only is the greatest WR by a huge margin, but he also never quit on a team like Moss did several times (hell, he quit on multiple teams in the same season once! :lol).  To me, "I play when I want to play" is Randy Moss in a nutshell.  I remember an article about him when he was still in his prime where it was pretty well know amongst cornerbacks in the league that if Moss did not get his early, he would shut it down for the day.  He was not a player who would have a quiet first half and then explode in the second.  If he wasn't involved early, 99% of the time he was shutting it down.
When I read this I thought that he was absolutely right and absolutely wrong at the same time. You're of course correct about his flaws. If I were a GM I'd take Rice every day of the week. At the same time I don't remember Rice being as dominant as Moss was. Moss was the rare receiver that could just take over a game and beat you himself. Rice could never be taken out of game, but he could be slowed down with an elite corner or double coverage. Moss was always open.

edit: Oh, and he did make a valid point. Imagine Moss's numbers if he spent 14 years catching balls from Montana and Young exclusively.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: December 20, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm not a fan, both from his playing days and from the off the field stuff (and no, I'm not referring to the dog stuff, but that too), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the depth of Michael Vick's insight on the Fox pregame.   

As a general question, do the analysts prepare their own material or do they parrot what experts come up with?   I think Howie and Terry do their own, and they're very good at it (I dig both of them).   I'm sure that Cowher and Johnson (Jimmy) do their own.  Tony Gonzalez and Michael Strahan are doing their own.  But are any of these guys reading cue cards or are they given three minutes and told to "bring something to the table"? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1490 on: December 20, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »
When I read this I thought that he was absolutely right and absolutely wrong at the same time. You're of course correct about his flaws. If I were a GM I'd take Rice every day of the week. At the same time I don't remember Rice being as dominant as Moss was. Moss was the rare receiver that could just take over a game and beat you himself. Rice could never be taken out of game, but he could be slowed down with an elite corner or double coverage. Moss was always open.

edit: Oh, and he did make a valid point. Imagine Moss's numbers if he spent 14 years catching balls from Montana and Young exclusively.

I think that valid point falls apart when you consider that Moss couldn't even last 2 1/2 seasons with Tom Brady at QB before he wore out his welcome in NE and had to be traded (not counting 2008 since TB basically missed the entire season).  Moss and his lack of professionalism and work ethic wouldn't have lasted 14 years with Montana and Young, IMO.

And I don't agree about dominance. Both Rice and Moss led the league in TD catches five times, so that is a wash, but Rice led the league in receiving yards six times (!!), something Moss never did, and Rice led the leagues in catches twice (back when receptions meant something, as now anyone can catch a ton of balls with the emphasis on short passes and the rule changes), also something Moss never did. 

I think it is easy to get swayed by the good Randy Moss because, let's face it, when he felt like playing and was on his game, he was an unstoppable force of nature, but he simply didn't care enough to be great year or year or even week to week.  He still ended up being one of the best receivers ever, but with his talent and size, he could have been the best football PLAYER ever.  He just didn't have the work ethic or mindset.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1491 on: December 20, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »
Goff stinking it up against the freaking Jets. This, again, is why I don't trust the Rams. Their QB plays like a clown far too often.  That's right, I am using the word clown again.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: December 20, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
Goff stinking it up against the freaking Jets. This, again, is why I don't trust the Rams. Their QB plays like a clown far too often.  That's right, I am using the word clown again.

That's crazy.  Too many teams in the league like that, where it's almost a complete crapshoot as to what team you're going to get on any given week.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1493 on: December 20, 2020, 05:13:55 PM »
I believe NBC got it wrong with the tiebreaker between NYJ and JAX. JAX's one win came against an AFC opponent. The Jet's beat an NFC team, giving them a .000 within the conference.

edit: On top of that, if there are at least 4 common games, JAX "wins" that one, too. They beat the Colts, who blew out NYJ.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
I would be remiss, I would be shirking my duties, if I didn't remind how much Jim Nantz blows.

His network, CBS, is no better.   Late in the third, they did a "puff piece" on Drew Brees and his family.... about how much they all love Patrick Mahomes.  I vomited in my slippers. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: December 20, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
I believe NBC got it wrong with the tiebreaker between NYJ and JAX. JAX's one win came against an AFC opponent. The Jet's beat an NFC team, giving them a .000 within the conference.

The aforementioned Jim Nantz said JAX wins the tiebreaker based on theirs being the easier strength of schedule.   I wouldn't trust Jim Nantz to tell me what day it is, though, so take that with a grain of salt.   In his mind, it's likely that Patrick Mahomes has the first pick in next years draft.  ;)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1496 on: December 20, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »

The aforementioned Jim Nantz said JAX wins the tiebreaker based on theirs being the easier strength of schedule.   I wouldn't trust Jim Nantz to tell me what day it is, though, so take that with a grain of salt.   In his mind, it's likely that Patrick Mahomes has the first pick in next years draft.  ;)
He's got an entire crew of analysts and statisticians yammering in his ear, though. As soon as he said that, six eggheads in New York started crunching numbers. Unfortunately for him, they seem to be lazy fucks. Not only did they gloss over wins within the conference, they'll play a definitive fourth common foe next week when NYJ plays the Browns, putting the third tiebreaker into play. (They may have already met the four common foes, depending on how they interpret the rule. NYJ has already played 4 games against common opponents, but JAX has only played 3.)
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1497 on: December 20, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
I would be remiss, I would be shirking my duties, if I didn't remind how much Jim Nantz blows.

His network, CBS, is no better.   Late in the third, they did a "puff piece" on Drew Brees and his family.... about how much they all love Patrick Mahomes.  I vomited in my slippers.

I laughed when Nantz said , "Eat it Stadler." :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1498 on: December 20, 2020, 05:56:16 PM »
I had heard this week that the Jags would get the number 1 pick if the Jets won one of their last three and both finished 1-15, so that sounds correct.  Such a Jets thing to do.  And LOL at the Rams.  That's an inexcusable loss.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1499 on: December 20, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
Matt Ryan will never be more than a punchline to me. He’s taken choking to performance art level.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1500 on: December 20, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
As someone who never has watched a single quarter of college football, I don't give a shit about Trevor Lawrence. I'm sure he's a fine player, but it is impossible to imagine any one thing making the Jets competitive. This isn't the NBA. Any sign that this team has some life and maybe some components that aren't completely unsalvageable is better than a theoretical player down the line.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1501 on: December 20, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
I have no idea how to feel about this Jets victory. On one hand, going 0-16 would be embarrassing and something that sticks with a franchise for a long time. On the other hand, this win puts the Jaguars in the driver's seat for the first overall pick and a shot at Trevor Lawrence. It's a weird purgatory to be in as a fan, unsure if you want your team to win or lose.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1502 on: December 21, 2020, 01:44:17 AM »
I wonder if Trevor Lawrence's people already pulled a 1983 John Elway and told the Jets to go fuck themselves like Elway did with the Colts. I refuse to believe that the Jets weren't capable of losing to the Rams.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1503 on: December 21, 2020, 06:20:57 AM »
I wonder if Trevor Lawrence's people already pulled a 1983 John Elway and told the Jets to go fuck themselves like Elway did with the Colts. I refuse to believe that the Jets weren't capable of losing to the Rams.

Because the Jags are a better organization?

Also, how do you suppose any NFL team tanks? Especially one where nearly all the coaches and players are fighting to prove they even belong on a roster?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: December 21, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
I hate to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but if anyone thinks that Trevor Lawrence is the salvation of the Jets, I have a bridge to sell you.   They're a messed up organization, and they are NOT "one player away" from a resurgence.  They HAVE Darnold, who is no slouch, they had La'veon Bell, who is no slouch (though indicative of the kind of player the Steelers jettison and the Jets pick up; should tell you SOMETHING) and they decided to entrust all that to Adam Gase.

You should want your teams to WIN.  Figure out your situation and WIN.    Man plans and God laughs; there are tens if not hundreds of "once in a generation" QBs that were supposed to save the franchise that you don't hear of in three years.   I don't mean this to anyone here, and it's a harsh statement, but if you're rooting for your team to LOSE so you have a better draftpick, well, that's the mentality that got you there in the first place.

They've had up years and they've had down years, and it takes time to get a system implemented and running smoothly, but I think you'd NEVER see a Bill Belichick, a Bill Parcells, a Bill Cowher, a Bill Walsh (seems "Bills" make good coaches; I'm available!) tanking a season to get a draft pick. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:20:02 AM by Stadler »