Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114489 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Bills snag the AFC East from the Hoodie
« Reply #1505 on: December 21, 2020, 07:16:29 AM »
Could not agree more. That is exactly how I feel.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1506 on: December 21, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
Here's one for you:

Since 1944, only five teams have had winless seasons in the NFL:
- the 1960 Dallas Cowboys (0–11–1)
- the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0–14)
- the 1982 Baltimore Colts (0–8–1)
- the 2008 Detroit Lions (0–16)
- the 2017 Cleveland Browns (0–16).

I was going to ask if you can even name the first round picks for each of those teams, but you probably can, thouigh not because those picks elevated their teams to Super Bowl greatness (I'd give you Bob Lilly on that one, though).  Only the first three have actually WON a Super Bowl since their oh-fer seasons, and every one took AT LEAST a decade for it to happen (Dallas in '72, Tampa in '02, and Baltimore/Indy in '06).  Is Detroit close?   Stafford has played for four head coaches since coming into the league in 2009, and isn't a threat to even make the playoffs let alone win a Super Bowl (and he's GOOD).   Is Cleveland close?  I'd say so, but Mayfield has already played for four head coaches in two seasons!  They're not a lock, especially in their division.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1507 on: December 21, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
Any dumb narrative around the Jets is just ESPN working its magic in the epicenter of the NY news media. Prior to the Jets win, it was "uh oh, is Trevor Lawrence going to pull an Eli? Who would want to play for the Jets?" and even idiots like Mike Greenberg (self-proclaimed "Jets fan") were warning Lawrence to "stay away". Now that the Jets have won, it's another round of "lol Jets". Yet the minute Jets have a good season, all these clowns will be anointing whoever is QB as the next Joe Namath.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1508 on: December 21, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »
I had heard this week that the Jags would get the number 1 pick if the Jets won one of their last three and both finished 1-15, so that sounds correct.  Such a Jets thing to do.  And LOL at the Rams.  That's an inexcusable loss.
What am I missing, then? The Jags win out on the second and third tiebreakers if they're both 1-15. They have a better division record since they beat an AFC team (Jet's beat an NFC team), and they have/will have a better record against common foes. If the Jags win the tiebreakers NYJ lose in the standings and get the first pick.

edit: Figured it out. Overall standings for purposes of the draft use a different system which begins with strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is like the fifth or so in the normal tie break. Strangely, that strength of schedule even trumps H2H. That seems strange to me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:21:46 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: December 21, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »

Lamar hoists Tucker after the winning FG at Cleveland.  A bit late (thanks, TAC, for telling me how to do this), but an all time Top Ten moment in Baltimore sports history.  Still on the outside looking in, but I like all the scenerios where all it takes is one of three teams to lose one more time in the next two weeks.  Go, Steelers ;)

(oh, and the volume was more than audible for about two minutes of the KC-NO game, until I tuned it way down.  Stadler.....how did you handle a whole game of Nance's butt kissing of Mahomes?!?!?  Just that brief moment in time was too much for us)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1510 on: December 21, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
RIP Kevin Greene.  One of the best pass rushers I ever saw.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1511 on: December 21, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
I had heard this week that the Jags would get the number 1 pick if the Jets won one of their last three and both finished 1-15, so that sounds correct.  Such a Jets thing to do.  And LOL at the Rams.  That's an inexcusable loss.
What am I missing, then? The Jags win out on the second and third tiebreakers if they're both 1-15. They have a better division record since they beat an AFC team (Jet's beat an NFC team), and they have/will have a better record against common foes. If the Jags win the tiebreakers NYJ lose in the standings and get the first pick.

edit: Figured it out. Overall standings for purposes of the draft use a different system which begins with strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is like the fifth or so in the normal tie break. Strangely, that strength of schedule even trumps H2H. That seems strange to me.

I couldn't remember the gist of it, just that the Jags get the number 1 pick if they lose out and the Jets win at least one game.

He was a beast. IIRC, he was a major name in putting the Panthers on the map right away once they became an NFL franchise.  R.I.P.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1512 on: December 22, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »
Aaron Rodgers has no support!! Oh, wait a minute, the Packers have as many Pro Bowlers as the Chiefs. Another false narrative laid to rest.

Another false narrative bandied about constantly by talking airheads: the way to beat the Chiefs is to play keepaway! Except the CHIEFS possessed the ball for 42 minutes against NO. Now what Einstein?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: December 22, 2020, 07:11:19 AM »
(oh, and the volume was more than audible for about two minutes of the KC-NO game, until I tuned it way down.  Stadler.....how did you handle a whole game of Nance's butt kissing of Mahomes?!?!?  Just that brief moment in time was too much for us)

I didn't, and I finally bailed and turned the sound off and listened to Ozzy for the last two and a half minutes or so. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: December 22, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
minutes or quarters? :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: December 22, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
Well, my problem is that I like Romo.  He's starting to drink Nantz's bathwater, though and playing along, but I like Romo as an announcer.  So I'm torn.  I'm also sort of hoping that listening to Nantz will build callouses and it won't bother me as much, but that isn't working as of yet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1516 on: December 22, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »
Not that all of their issues are his fault, but Ben Roethlisberger looks done.  The normal zip on a lot of his passes is gone.  Father Time wins again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Steelers are what we thought they were
« Reply #1517 on: December 22, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
 :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1518 on: December 22, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
It is going to be weird seeing the AFC bracket and not seeing the Patriots in there.  That is for damn sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: December 22, 2020, 05:41:05 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how KC reacts in the playoffs after winning it all. They've played a lot of games the last 3 years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1520 on: December 22, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
It is going to be weird seeing the AFC bracket and not seeing the Patriots in there.  That is for damn sure.

Seeing them listed as eliminated made me so happy. I know that Pats fans endured nearly a half century of mediocrity before the Brady/Belichick era so these past two decades were earned, but as a Jets fan in his late 20's, Patriots success has been the norm for most of my life. And let's not forget that before everything fell apart in 2012 for the Jets, they actually were one of New England's toughest rivals. The blood feud went beyond close games, with poison pill contracts, day one resignations, accusations of cheating, cheap shots in press conferences, and so many more things that I can't remember right now. It's almost poetic that the last Jets playoff victory was a huge upset win over the 14-2 Patriots a decade ago. Since then, the rivalry has been one sided, but after years of staying close with New England, watching them completely dominate and win championship after championship, including one with the best Jets player in recent memory in Darrelle Revis, all while my team slipped further into futility, with brief and cruel glimmers of hope thrown in just to keep us fans in pain. This has led to a fierce and unwavering hatred for the Patriots, with every win hurting more and more. The end of their dynasty has allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief, as I don't have to live with the constant dread that I will have to watch Robert Kraft get awarded yet another Lombardi Trophy. Now if only the Jets could figure out how to actually build a good team...
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: December 23, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »

Seeing them listed as eliminated made me so happy. I know that Pats fans endured nearly a half century of mediocrity before the Brady/Belichick era so these past two decades were earned, but as a Jets fan in his late 20's, Patriots success has been the norm for most of my life. And let's not forget that before everything fell apart in 2012 for the Jets, they actually were one of New England's toughest rivals. The blood feud went beyond close games, with poison pill contracts, day one resignations, accusations of cheating, cheap shots in press conferences, and so many more things that I can't remember right now. It's almost poetic that the last Jets playoff victory was a huge upset win over the 14-2 Patriots a decade ago. Since then, the rivalry has been one sided, but after years of staying close with New England, watching them completely dominate and win championship after championship, including one with the best Jets player in recent memory in Darrelle Revis, all while my team slipped further into futility, with brief and cruel glimmers of hope thrown in just to keep us fans in pain. This has led to a fierce and unwavering hatred for the Patriots, with every win hurting more and more. The end of their dynasty has allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief, as I don't have to live with the constant dread that I will have to watch Robert Kraft get awarded yet another Lombardi Trophy. Now if only the Jets could figure out how to actually build a good team...

As a quasi outside observer - I'm a Pats fan, but not exclusive; I like the Giants as well from when I was a kid - all the rest is moot compared to that last sentence.  Seems an awful lot like deflection and transference.  It's not the Pats fault that the Jets blow, and in fact, it's not the Jets - it's the Dolphins and Bills - taking advantage of the temporary schneid that the Pats are on.  Like it or not, if either team is going to hoist anything in the near future, it's far more likely to be a Kraft than a Johnson with or without Trevor Lawrence.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1522 on: December 23, 2020, 11:07:13 AM »
Not that all of their issues are his fault, but Ben Roethlisberger looks done.  The normal zip on a lot of his passes is gone.  Father Time wins again.

Yes he does look done. I’m very depressed about it. In addition he has no confidence in his line to hold a block longer than 1.5 seconds. Villanueva was roasted the entire game but they never put in a TE to help.

On a more positive note, Mahomes and the Chiefs literally set records every week. They just became the first team ever to beat 6 playoff teams on the road (Bal will get in). Mahomes just came off a stretch where he passed for the most yards ever over a 6-game span. KC extended their own record of consecutive games scoring 20+ points. So fun to watch.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1523 on: December 23, 2020, 12:10:51 PM »

Yes he does look done. I’m very depressed about it. In addition he has no confidence in his line to hold a block longer than 1.5 seconds. Villanueva was roasted the entire game but they never put in a TE to help.

Don't despair about Big Ben too much. I've been saying that Tom Brady looks washed up for the last 4 years and each year he has proven me wrong. I've learned to shut my pie hole up and just appreciate. I'm sure Big Ben is in the same boat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: December 23, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
Ben said before the last game that he wants to return next year.  He doesn't feel he's washed up; but that puts the Steelers in a similar position to the Pats last year.  What to do and when?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1525 on: December 23, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »

Don't despair about Big Ben too much. I've been saying that Tom Brady looks washed up for the last 4 years and each year he has proven me wrong. I've learned to shut my pie hole up and just appreciate. I'm sure Big Ben is in the same boat.

Big difference between Brady and Roethslisberger, though. Brady is a guy who clearly is very careful about what he puts into his body and tries to stay as healthy as he can to prolong his career.  Ben looks like a guy who goes out and chugs beers and eat hot dogs three nights a week.  Not that there is anything wrong with beer and hot dogs, but Father Time isn't as kind to those who do not take good care of themselves (in relative terms).

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1526 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
Ben might be more willing to retire once he knows public bathroom closures due to covid are over with and all bars in Georgia are open.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1527 on: December 23, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »

I hoped he would coach or at least be the DC of the Packers when he coached LBs there. He was a beast as a player as well as a coach. One of the best.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1528 on: December 24, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
Ben might be more willing to retire once he knows public bathroom closures due to covid are over with and all bars in Georgia are open.

He’s happily married to a woman he met at his church and has 3 kids. But sure just keep trotting out the same jokes that were dated in 2015. Do you have any Aaron Hernandez ones that are hot off the presses?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
He's a Saints fan. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1530 on: December 24, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »

He’s happily married to a woman he met at his church and has 3 kids. But sure just keep trotting out the same jokes that were dated in 2015. Do you have any Aaron Hernandez ones that are hot off the presses?

Do you personally know him lol? He was literally accused of having a friend block the entrance of a bathroom so he could rape a chick. But of course cuz he met someone at a church he's morally invincible. Also, I'm not gonna say a single bad thing about Hernandez cuz I don't wanna incur any more of your wrath since you seem pretty protective of degenerates.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1531 on: December 24, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »
I wonder if Trevor Lawrence's people already pulled a 1983 John Elway and told the Jets to go fuck themselves like Elway did with the Colts. I refuse to believe that the Jets weren't capable of losing to the Rams.

Because the Jags are a better organization?

Also, how do you suppose any NFL team tanks? Especially one where nearly all the coaches and players are fighting to prove they even belong on a roster?

Because some of those people are probably dumb enough to think they'll just get signed elsewhere once their contracts end or they get cut anyway. If the majority of NFL players end up broke within 5 years of retiring then why wouldn't they have that same lack of urgency and foresight when they're younger and have less life experience?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1532 on: December 24, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »
Players don’t tank in the NFL as much as they quit on their coaches. Ironically that’s not what has happened with the Jets as they seem to be playing harder for Adam Gase now than they have all season.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1533 on: December 25, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
If the Titans put together the offense and defense in the same game they could make a run for a rematch with KC in the AFC championship game. They are so inconsistent when the play good teams.  Of course the Bills, Steelers and Browns will also be contenders.

Should be some great playoff games.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1534 on: December 25, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
The fun thing is that anyone can get hot at the right time and make a run.  Look at the Titans last year. They limped into the playoffs, having lost two of their last three games, but won two road playoff games and had the lead for most of the 1st half against the eventual champs.  Tennessee, Indy, Baltimore and Cleveland can all run the ball well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those teams make a deep playoff run.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1535 on: December 25, 2020, 05:21:27 PM »
I'm totally happy with the way this game has played out (defensive and injury woes aside) but man I woulda loved to see Alvin Kamara get two cracks at TD #6 from the one yard line.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1536 on: December 25, 2020, 05:53:40 PM »
Spoke too soon lol. And so glad that it happened against the Vikings. Couldn't think of a better team to eliminate from the playoffs while clinching our fourth straight division title and tying two NFL records: one that's only occurred three times before (total TDs in a game, 6) and not since 1965 and another that's only occurred once before (rushing TDs in a game, 6) and not since 1929.

I only barely loathe the Vikings less than the niners so this is so immensely gratifying.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:25:06 PM by black_biff_stadler »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1537 on: December 26, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »
Spoke too soon lol. And so glad that it happened against the Vikings. Couldn't think of a better team to eliminate from the playoffs while clinching our fourth straight division title and tying two NFL records: one that's only occurred three times before (total TDs in a game, 6) and not since 1965 and another that's only occurred once before (rushing TDs in a game, 6) and not since 1929.

I only barely loathe the Vikings less than the niners so this is so immensely gratifying.
Curious why you loathe the Vikings so much? What'd they ever do to you?

Yikes, the Vikings defense is awful this year. I'm amazed they kept that game as close as they did until the 4th quarter.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1538 on: December 26, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »

Curious why you loathe the Vikings so much? What'd they ever do to you?

-MirrorMask

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1539 on: December 26, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
^^^^^^^

Yeah - I'd say that's a pretty good reason.......