Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118328 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #455 on: July 21, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »
A local NFL reporter who frequents the radio sports talk station I listen to said that if the NFL is able to pull off a full season without significant issues during this pandemic, it will be the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. He recognized that was a bold statement, but he still stood by it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #456 on: July 21, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Significant issues are already taking place. Hasn't the preseason already been cancelled? Half the cities will prohibit fans from attending. Roster sizes are being reduced. Training camps and preseason conditioning will be highly lacking. His bold statement seems pretty late, really.

I'm not sure why they don't operate a Club Med type of system for each team. Once the players report they're there for the next 21 weeks, or until they're done for the year. That applies to the catering, the cleaning staff, and anybody else associated with the compound. Someone leaves they're quarantined for a week when they return. There are two nice hotels within walking distance of Gillette Stadium. Welcome to your new home, boys. As far as I know they all operate their own charter flights, so contact at away games will be minimal. It'll suck, really, but when the minimum salary for these guys is over a million/yr, they can suck it up.

What bums me out about it is that we were going to see one of the great experiments in the NFL play out this year. Brady without Belichick and Belichick without Brady. How often does something like that come up? And certainly never in such a magnitude. Now it'll be tainted, and that's bad for all football fans.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: July 21, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »

What bums me out about it is that we were going to see one of the great experiments in the NFL play out this year. Brady without Belichick and Belichick without Brady. How often does something like that come up? And certainly never in such a magnitude. Now it'll be tainted, and that's bad for all football fans.

It won't be tainted.

Speaking of experiments, none are more interesting than Brady with the Bucs, or Cam Newton in New England. These two developments are going to be fascinating to watch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #458 on: July 21, 2020, 10:38:49 PM »

It won't be tainted.

Speaking of experiments, none are more interesting than Brady with the Bucs, or Cam Newton in New England. These two developments are going to be fascinating to watch.
They'd have been a helluva lot more fascinating in a normal season. This season will be anything but.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #459 on: July 22, 2020, 05:51:51 AM »
Yeah, I guess, but we will see who is really mentally tough. Lots of obstacles to overcome.

Everyone is in the same boat, so to me, it's all the same.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #460 on: July 22, 2020, 06:35:16 AM »
It's not when a team like KC has everything set.  Same system, same coaches, same QB.  N.E. could have used the preseason to work that new system with Cam at the helm.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: July 22, 2020, 06:38:02 AM »
Aawww boo hoo Patriots fan..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: July 22, 2020, 06:53:17 AM »
I'm not crying.  Just stating facts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: July 22, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: July 22, 2020, 07:11:39 AM »
I'll assume he has a high regard for Bill Belichick.  I understand that. Still, Tom Brady and Cam Newton are 2 polar opposite QB's so this will be a whole new offense and with no training camp and no preseason it has to affect them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »
Well, I don't think it matters. They weren't overtaking the Chiefs for the 1 seed even with Brady. With Newton, they're at worst the #3 team, behind the Ravens.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2020, 07:23:54 AM »
Well, I don't think it matters. They weren't overtaking the Chiefs for the 1 seed even with Brady. With Newton, they're at worst the #3 team, behind the Ravens.

1 game playoffs.  Anything can happen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
Yeah, but it's only the 1 that gets a bye? Is that right. They weren't getting that anyway.

By the time the Pats get to the playoffs, they'll have it figured out. Like I said, I don't discount them at all with a healthy Newton.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »
Yeah, I guess, but we will see who is really mentally tough. Lots of obstacles to overcome.

Everyone is in the same boat, so to me, it's all the same.

'Mental toughness"?  Well, that rules out the Cam Newton scenario.  I am so not happy about that.  Still stewing about it, in fact.   ANYONE but Cam Newton.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »
Yeah, but it's only the 1 that gets a bye? Is that right. They weren't getting that anyway.

By the time the Pats get to the playoffs, they'll have it figured out. Like I said, I don't discount them at all with a healthy Newton.

There's the $64,000 question, right there.    :tdwn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
So, Stadler, how do you really feel? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 22, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
Can Newton is the Winger of the NFL. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: July 22, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »
Now you're speaking my language brother! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: July 22, 2020, 07:41:23 AM »
 :lol

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled either.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #474 on: July 23, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »
And this just in - they are going with - The Washington Football Team.

Granted, it's temporary but still - WEAK!  :loser:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #475 on: July 23, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
Reminds me of NE Coach from Madden.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: July 23, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
Reminds me of NE Coach from Madden.

I forgot The Hoodie isn't part of the NFLCA.  Only him.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #477 on: July 23, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
The Washington Football Team....

The internet is going to have a fucking field day with this one. It's kind of marketing genius though, they can sell a shit ton of this name's merch, which will get gobbled up due to the novelty of it, then they'll re-up the sales next year when the new team name is announced.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #478 on: July 23, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »

The internet is going to have a fucking field day with this one. It's kind of marketing genius though, they can sell a shit ton of this name's merch, which will get gobbled up due to the novelty of it, then they'll re-up the sales next year when the new team name is announced.
That's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I buy it, though. Merch is part of the shared revenue. Lil Danny's 1/32nd share of the novelty gear won't be enough to offset what changing names twice will cost him. It actually would be a pretty cool jersey to own, though.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #479 on: July 23, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »

That's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I buy it, though. Merch is part of the shared revenue. Lil Danny's 1/32nd share of the novelty gear won't be enough to offset what changing names twice will cost him. It actually would be a pretty cool jersey to own, though.

True that, it'll be an interesting story to follow nonetheless.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2020, 08:08:51 PM »
I thought of it, I've heard people on the radio and ESPN who mentioned that, with the initials 'WFT' one needs to be careful not calling them the 'WTFs'.

I'm sure plenty of DC fans have said 'WTF' during Snyder's reign of hell. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2020, 07:52:21 AM »
I actually kind of like it.  It's old school.   Remember "The New York Football Giants"?  (If I remember correctly, the legal entity was never changed and is still that.)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »
I actually kind of like it.  It's old school.   Remember "The New York Football Giants"?  (If I remember correctly, the legal entity was never changed and is still that.)
Didn't know that. I figured it was just something that blowhard Berman started saying.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
Yeah but it still has the word "Giants" in it.

The equivalent is The New York Football Team."

It sounds like someone who doesn't know sports talking about sports. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
Didn't know that. I figured it was just something that blowhard Berman started saying.

Huh, me too!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Remember "The New York Football Giants"?  (If I remember correctly, the legal entity was never changed and is still that.)

Chris Berman (and, before him, Howard Cosell) won't let anyone forget that name (and yes, it's still the team's corporate name).

Frankly, I think the New York Giants' trademark registrations (along with those of the Jets and the MLB Angels) should be cancelled because they are primarily geographically deceptively misdescriptive.  15 U.S.C. section 1052(e).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
The San Francisco Giants were originally based in New York. Thus the distinction.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2020, 10:24:45 AM »
The San Francisco Giants were originally based in New York. Thus the distinction.
Winner.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
^
There have also been pro teams in the same baseball cities known as the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Yankees, Boston Braves, most recently St. Louis Cardinals......to somewhat feed off of baseball's popularity because the NFL needed the publicity long ago (though St.Louis moved from Chicago).  Times certainly changed. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2020, 12:37:31 PM »

Ummm...duh.  But I think most folks are aware that the baseball team moved to San Francisco 60+ years ago, thereby rendering the distinction unnecessary.

Does Berman still refer to the Cardinals as "the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung