Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114325 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. less than 7 months to the season!!
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
Happy with the Patriots' draft so far. Still baffled by the Packers. Patriots' first three picks were quintessential Belichick guys. A safety that can play close to the line or cover TEs, and an edge defender that can play the line, inside, and outside LB. Also great value for where they were selected. Later on a TE than can play H-back and fullback. The kicker kind of surprised me since he was one nobody had ever heard of, but watching his combine video he was surprisingly accurate up to the mid 50s. Didn't start closing on the goalposts until around 60 and didn't miss until 61. Plus, coming from Marshall, Belichick probably has the scoop on where his head's at and whether or not he's prone to choking.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
I hope he's not a quintessential Belichick pick because it seems every D-back he's ever taken in the 2nd round has been a bust.

Hopefully it was actually the dog that picked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:07 PM »
initial grade for the Packers draft...... D+
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #283 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »
I hope he's not a quintessential Belichick pick because it seems every D-back he's ever taken in the 2nd round has been a bust.

Hopefully it was actually the dog that picked.
I don't put much stock in superstition. He's a very versatile strong safety and he's a solid punt returner. He's got a good head on his shoulders and wants to be coached, which he'll get playing behind Chung for a year or two. Very high upside.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #284 on: April 25, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
I get that it's fun to rate and judge drafts in the immediate aftermath, but the reality of course is that we won't know for years how good a team's draft was. 

What if Aaron Rodgers breaks his leg this year and Jordan Love comes in and shines as a rookie and leads to the Packers to a Super Bowl win? All of a sudden the Packers draft would get an A+.

Heck, look at my Broncos. Many are raving about all of the weapons Elway got for Drew Lock, but what if they all bust?  It won't look so good all of a sudden.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
What if Aaron Rodgers breaks his leg this year and Jordan Love comes in and shines as a rookie and leads to the Packers to a Super Bowl win? All of a sudden the Packers draft would get an A+.
Hah, they should be so lucky. The problem is if Rogers doesn't break his leg. The far more likely outcome. We al know we're going to be reading a SI article in a few years describing how Rogers became a brooding malcontent and Love kept finding week old trout in his locker.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
Gronk is going to have to start hitting the juice again hard. He’s slimmed way down.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
All I know is my Cowboys had one hell of a draft!  :metal

It was the perfect balance of taking the best player available vs. addressing their needs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2020, 09:03:06 AM »
Hah, they should be so lucky. The problem is if Rogers doesn't break his leg. The far more likely outcome. We al know we're going to be reading a SI article in a few years describing how Rogers became a brooding malcontent and Love kept finding week old trout in his locker.

I fully expect that to be the case.  Rodgers has been very much a pouter the last few years, but it's gonna be even worse now.  His team went 13-3 last year and were a game away from the Super Bowl, yet he looked miserable all season (relative to his usual resting bitch face self).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
Heck, look at my Broncos. Many are raving about all of the weapons Elway got for Drew Lock, but what if they all bust?  It won't look so good all of a sudden.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  all the weapons in the world won't do much without the ability to protect the QB.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »

From what I've been reading, they drafted for the future because while they drafted good players, they are players that can help win down the road. I think they're planning for life without Aaron Rodgers.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2020, 02:55:50 PM »

From what I've been reading, they drafted for the future because while they drafted good players, they are players that can help win down the road. I think they're planning for life without Aaron Rodgers.

I disagree completely.  You don’t plan for the future when you were one game away from going to the Super Bowl. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2020, 03:20:50 PM »
Agreed, and if I may quote Colin Cowherd again, how a team drafts lets you know what they think of their team and/or, in this situation, their QB.

Same with Philly.  I know a lot of Eagles fans lost their minds over them taking a QB in the 2nd round, but maybe they wouldn't have felt compelled to do so if Carson Wentz could ever finish a season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »
Same with Philly.  I know a lot of Eagles fans lost their minds over them taking a QB in the 2nd round, but maybe they wouldn't have felt compelled to do so if Carson Wentz could ever finish a season.

Plus, according to Schefter, Wentz may get coronavirus. :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
Agreed, and if I may quote Colin Cowherd again...

NO YOU MAY NOT!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
Agreed, and if I may quote Colin Cowherd again, how a team drafts lets you know what they think of their team and/or, in this situation, their QB.

I'd gladly trade drafts with Philly. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2020, 09:27:35 PM »
Might be done with the NFL now. After the 2018 fuckover and the questionable call to end last year's wildcard game, I was only content to drag myself through this shit to see Drew's final season but I now have a very strong disdain for them for bringing in crableg rapist. It's bad enough we had Sharper during the Super Bowl season but it's way worse knowing that your team is knowingly paying a very-likely rapist.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #297 on: April 28, 2020, 07:20:43 AM »

I disagree completely.  You don’t plan for the future when you were one game away from going to the Super Bowl.

Oh yes you DO plan for the future, even when your one game away from the big dance. The Pack went from Favre to Rodgers and it's why they been so competitive for how many years? Rodgers has 2 years tops with the Packers. Now I don't know much about Jordan Love but it's telling that they moved up to get him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #298 on: April 28, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »
I think you do plan, but that doesn't mean that "planning" is easy, or agreed-upon with the rest of the team.  We have reason to believe that there was a friction between Brady and the Patriots' "plan" (Jimmy G., though as time goes on, I suspect that if Jimmy G really was considered the next coming of Brady, they'd have found a way), and in my humble opinion, Aaron Rodgers is emotionally less mature than Brady.  I think you plan, but I think THIS plan is not going to sit well with the guy that effectively ran off the last coach because he didn't like the way he planned/called a game (I mean that broadly).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2020, 10:47:05 AM »
So, I just saw the bit with Belichick's dog at the table. That was awesome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
So, I just saw the bit with Belichick's dog at the table. That was awesome.

I got a chuckle out of that too. It seemed so fitting.  :biggrin:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2020, 11:43:59 AM »

The Packers haven’t drafted a skill position player in the first round in 15 years. What a giant middle finger to Rodgers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2020, 07:45:25 PM »

The Packers haven’t drafted a skill position player in the first round in 15 years. What a giant middle finger to Rodgers.

And let's not forget how awful their defenses have been for the majority of his starting career.  It's sad that he will ultimately take the heat if he ends up only winning one Super Bowl (remember when a QB winning A Super Bowl was the benchmark??), but such is life as a star QB in the 21st century.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2020, 01:45:32 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29112995/alex-smith-comeback-fight-save-qb-leg-life

Holy shit I didn't realize it was this bad for him!

That was heartbreaking to read. I’ve been a fan of Alex Smith for a while now, and knowing how bad this injury actually was is really difficult to handle. I had to stop reading towards the end because I was actually starting to cry.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline T-ski

« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
RIP Don Shula.

The Dolphins were my second favorite team as a kid in the 80's.  Damn shame Marino never won a Super Bowl.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2020, 06:46:19 PM »
Wow that was a heavy story about Alex's ordeal. That's one tough man right there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
RIP Don Shula.

The Dolphins were my second favorite team as a kid in the 80's.  Damn shame Marino never won a Super Bowl.

Shula's best years were before I started watching, but he was a legend. R.I.P.

Offline max_security

Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. R.I.P. Don Shula
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:43 PM »
Don Shula had some good years in Baltimore .
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:38:32 PM by max_security »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2020, 09:40:15 AM »

He had a better winning percentage in his 7 seasons with the Colts than he did in his 26 seasons with the Dolphins.

Only TWO losing seasons in 33 as a head coach (also had three .500 seasons).

First head coach to coach in 4 Super Bowls  (4 of the first 8).

You could probably win more bar bets than you'd lose with the fact that he was the losing coach in the Jets' Super Bowl 3 upset.

Legend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »

He had a better winning percentage in his 7 seasons with the Colts than he did in his 26 seasons with the Dolphins.

You could probably win more bar bets than you'd lose with the fact that he was the losing coach in the Jets' Super Bowl 3 upset.

Legend.

Coached a championship game against both New York teams.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »
To think that Shula, Unitas, Gino Marchetti and Alan Ameche all lived in my community at the same time.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »

Legend.

Both New York teams?  Don't the Giants count?

Anyway...I assume you're talking about SB3 against the Jets and the 1993 AFC Championship Game against the Bills.  Despite the name, the post-merger AFC and NFC conference "championship games" aren't true championship games since the real champion is the winner of the Super Bowl

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »

Legend.

Both New York teams?  Don't the Giants count?

Anyway...I assume you're talking about SB3 against the Jets and the 1993 AFC Championship Game against the Bills.  Despite the name, the post-merger AFC and NFC conference "championship games" aren't true championship games since the real champion is the winner of the Super Bowl

I meant both NYC teams who actually played in the city they’re named for at the time.

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2020, 12:57:22 PM »
I meant both NYC teams who actually played in the city they’re named for at the time.

OK, but I saw no indication that Shula ever coached in a championship game against the Giants.