Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 113876 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. R.I.P. Don Shula
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2020, 01:03:41 PM »
This is fun to watch.  Jokes and needling all over this video.

Tiger, Phil, Tom & Peyton.   Peyton killed me with the Florida talk.

https://youtu.be/ONOTl3nbXOE
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:54:47 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
I meant both NYC teams who actually played in the city they’re named for at the time.

OK, but I saw no indication that Shula ever coached in a championship game against the Giants.

I looked too, and I don't think he did.   He even missed out as a player, having been waived by the Colts in '56; the Colts and Gints played in the Championship Game two years running in '58 and '59 (the '58 game was the legendary "Greatest Game Ever Played" game).   Shula had no part of those games, as far as I know.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2020, 03:05:23 PM »
I meant both NYC teams who actually played in the city they’re named for at the time.

OK, but I saw no indication that Shula ever coached in a championship game against the Giants.

I looked too, and I don't think he did.   He even missed out as a player, having been waived by the Colts in '56; the Colts and Gints played in the Championship Game two years running in '58 and '59 (the '58 game was the legendary "Greatest Game Ever Played" game).   Shula had no part of those games, as far as I know.

Oh I just looked it up. It was Weeb Ewbank. Idk how I fucked that up since he also coached my Jets to their Super Bowl III upset.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
Also a great coach (though not at Shula's level, IMO) and father of the second greatest game show host of all time, Bob (no he's not; it's Eubanks, but I thought it was funny).

Offline dparrott

« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »
NFL schedules were released yesterday.  Here's my preseason:

Week 1: Raiders @ Seahawks
Week 2: Rams @ Chargers
Week 3: Chargers @ Seahawks
Week 4: Rams @ Raiders

:metal I know they don't mean nothing, but it'll be fun to watch.

Raiders are also hosting Arizona.  I sent them a tweet to do this after they made the LV name official.  That could be a new rivalry and a good crowd.

I also got three of my teams playing in Miami during the season.  I love that stadium.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #320 on: May 08, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
After a couple of years of getting off light, the Patriot's schedule is brutal. Early bye, a three game road stretch at the end of the season, and six games against playoff teams.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
Man oh man, the NFL must love the Chiefs.  Their toughest road games against colder weather teams are all early in the season before it gets cold, and their road games against teams in really warm climates are later in the season when it won't be so hot.

Note: I don't actually think there is a conspiracy. It just looks odd.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
Sometimes it just lines up that way.

After a couple of years of getting off light, the Patriot's schedule is brutal. Early bye, a three game road stretch at the end of the season, and six games against playoff teams.

No excuses for them. Get it done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
A reminder of what incredible athletes pro football players. Even though offensive linemen are the WORST athletes on the field, recently retired Joe Thomas just won the Dwayne Johnson sponsored Titan Games. I thought it was cool anyway.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
A reminder of what incredible athletes pro football players. Even though offensive linemen are the WORST athletes on the field, recently retired Joe Thomas just won the Dwayne Johnson sponsored Titan Games. I thought it was cool anyway.

Worst? What do you base that on?

Also, Joe Thomas is one of the greatest OL in the last 20 years.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
Drew Brees making friends today I see. Best of luck to him if they play football this year.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #326 on: June 04, 2020, 12:53:04 AM »
He's a bum. Between his bullshit today and his backup probably being a rapist, I'm probably done with them.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2020, 01:15:07 AM »
Might have to go back to the Falcons as my favorite NFC South team. Shame because on the field Drew Brees is my all time favorite QB.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
Might have to go back to the Falcons as my favorite NFC South team. Shame because on the field Drew Brees is my all time favorite QB.

What? No Tampa Bay? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
Drew Brees making friends today I see. Best of luck to him if they play football this year.

He’ll be fine. He has enough goodwill in the bank, and what he said wasn’t even offensive. Some will hold it against him, sure, but that’s life in 2020.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »

He’ll be fine. He has enough goodwill in the bank, and what he said wasn’t even offensive. Some will hold it against him, sure, but that’s life in 2020.

There's more animosity over PSI in footballs than to Drew Brees.  LOL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »

There's more animosity over PSI in footballs than to Drew Brees.  LOL

Deflated footballs is serious business.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2020, 09:59:30 AM »
Oh I know.  Not over inflated though.  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »

What? No Tampa Bay? :lol

You know I’m actually really interested to see how things work out in Tampa with Brady. My theory has always been that while Brady is a great QB, his incredible success is due to playing for the greatest coach of all time for his entire career. Now that he’s in Tampa, with another great coach in Bruce Arians, albeit not as good as Bill, the time for him to prove me wrong is now. Conversely, Belichick can still prove me right (like he almost did in 2008) by guiding the Pats to another division title without his Hall of Fame QB. I’m definitely not rooting for either team, but I’m definitely curious to see who has more success.

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Pats did not win the division title in 2008.  The Dolphins did and the Pat's missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »
Pats did not win the division title in 2008.  The Dolphins did and the Pat's missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record.

That’s why I said almost. I would have actually preferred the Pats winning the division that year instead of the Dolphins winning it with the quarterback that the Jets kicked to the curb in favor of one mediocre year from Brett Favre.

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
That was a weird year.  When Brady came back (2009) the offense was very much like this past year and the defense was very porous. The revamp came in 2010 for the offense and 2014 for the D. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
Interesting things to consider about "Systems." All of the talk about NE is how Hoyer and Stidham will work in the Patriots offense. The Patriots, to me at least, seem to be the least "system" built team in the league. Belichick is famous for using whatever he has in the way he thinks it'll work best. He grew up as a 3-4 guy. They've played 4-3 when the players he had were better suited for it. They've been a nickel team for a couple of years now. The speculation now is that they use their abundance of safeties more for what I suppose would be a bigger nickel package. On the other side of the ball they've had Brady for 17 years playing the ideal system for him. Brady perfected what they were doing and they stuck with it. I don't think at all that BB/JMD are married to the same offense they've been using all of this time. I'm not sure why people would expect Stidham to try and do the same thing Brady did all of this time.

And then you've got Tompa Bay. Bruce Ariens very much is a system guy. He's got a style and it is what it is. Tom's apparently been quite happy to work with the new system, and Ariens isn't going to reinvent his team around Brady. Winston had good wheels, a great arm, and a willingness to take sacks. Why would we think that Brady would thrive in the same system?

Really, I think it's going to be damned fascinating to see how both NE and Tom Brady adapt to their new realities.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
What would REALLY be fascinating would be a NE v. Tampa super bowl.  I know it's not happening, but still.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
What would REALLY be fascinating would be a NE v. Tampa super bowl.  I know it's not happening, but still.

Don’t even put that into the universe. :lol

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2020, 03:31:38 PM »
I know that all things aren't equal, but if they were, I think the advantage goes to Belichick.   I think he has more variables to play with (more levers to pull), and he has more opportunities to effect change.  I know Brady is lauded for his leadership buthe's still one guy and if (or when, if you're inclined to that world view) he and Ariens perhaps do not see eye-to-eye on something, it's potentially a problem.

If Belichick and Stidham don't see eye-to-eye, well, good luck in Cincinnati, Jarrett.  I hear they have good chili out there.   

Offline T-ski

« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
The NFL finally admits it was wrong on Colin Kaepernick kneeling. Shameful it took this long.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2020, 01:18:18 AM »
And it had absolutely nothing to do with losing a shitload of money from black fans boycotting them too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2020, 05:43:17 AM »
The NFL finally admits it was wrong on Colin Kaepernick kneeling. Shameful it took this long.

Goodall is the biggest POS pro-sports league commissioner.  Yes, bigger than Bettman.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2020, 06:38:42 AM »
It feels like the owners are backed into a corner and they "had" to do this.  They should have 3 or 4 years ago.

On the other hand if Cap just did the kneeling I would have better his cause.

Strange world we live in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #345 on: June 07, 2020, 01:24:33 PM »
Super Bowl 20 is on NBC right now, if any Bears fans are interested (Patriots fans, I assume are not :lol).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
I believe that was the first Super Bowl I watched as a bidding sports fan. I am sure I watched earlier ones with my dad, but this was the first one I watched with interest and awareness, largely due to the Super Bowl Shuffle and Bears hype machine.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
Super Bowl 20 is on NBC right now, if any Bears fans are interested (Patriots fans, I assume are not :lol).

The Pats were in total control of that game for the first minute and a half.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »
If not for that early fumble by Payton, it's very possible that would have been the first shutout in the Super Bowl, as I think the Bears D would have played tighter coverage late and not given up the garbage TD if they were still protecting the shutout.  Pure speculation, of course.  The 2000 Ravens D technically pitched a shutout, but the Giants got 7 off of kickoff return.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2020, 07:13:32 PM »
I've blanked that game out of my mind.