Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114287 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. R.I.P. Don Shula
« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2020, 08:04:18 AM »
The NFL finally admits it was wrong on Colin Kaepernick kneeling. Shameful it took this long.

This might be better in a P/R thread, and I realize I am splitting a hair that in this current context no one is interested in splitting, but I think this is a mistake.   I don't mean making a public statement, but I think the idea that the NFL HAS to say "we were wrong" is really problematic and as much an indicator of Goodell's lousy leadership as the original decision.  He's not doing this out of enlightenment or introspection; he's following the crowd as he always does, just a day or two late.   

I think if we're going to get through this as a nation, and as a people interested in compromise to find a working solution for EVERYONE, not just the special interest du jour, we have to start having real dialogue, not "bully - response - bully - response - bully response" over and over and over again.   I get that the popular wisdom is that "we tried that and you (whoever the "you" is in the us versus them conflict of the moment) didn't listen", but I don't think that's true at all.  There was no real dialogue, it was gamesmanship and PR stunts.  Kneels, workouts, Jay-Z hires, etc.   I get that my idea is a fart in a windstorm at this moment in time, but this type of social interaction is not sustainable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
^I agree.  And what I also see, but do not see talked about, is that I believe the "two sides" of the issue are talking past each other and not acknowledging the others' issues.

Here is an example to illustrate what I mean:  Drew Brees made what I consider to be a very reasonable explanation of his opinion on kneeling.  Whether one agrees, disagrees, or falls somewhere in the middle, his explanation was perfectly reasonable and about as inoffensive as I could possibly imagine if one is going to take a position in the first place (obviously, keeping one's mouth shut is the least offensive option of all, but we are talking about people who may not agree trying to have a dialog).  To him, the flag is a symbol of the country, and specifically, the country's guarantees of freedom to all, and the anthem at games is a remembrance of the U.S. military's involvement in securing that.  So, to him, a protest during the anthem is a protest of our military members who put their lives on the line for freedom.

Players who have objected and taken extreme positions against Brees are saying, no, the protests aren't about that.  They are about protesting the oppression of minorities, and more specifically, that oppression by the police and public officials "behind the flag," with the flag being the symbol of that oppression. 

So they are talking about the flag representing two very different things.  Hence, when taking different positions on protesting, they are not actually even talking about the same underlying issue.  When I was talking about this with one of my sons the other day, the best analogy I could come up with is this:  Let's say a segment of society chooses to actively protest sexual abuse by the Catholic clergy.  And their means of protest is to go to various churches (not just Catholic) and burn bibles in the parking lot during worship services as a silent protest.  If they were to show up at our local nondenominational bible church and do that, their act of burning bibles would offend many, even though NONE of those people would support abuse in the Catholic Church, or anything even associated with the Catholic Church.  But it would be difficult to engage in a serious dialog without the protesters acknowledging that their protest was causing offense to a group of people who are well outside the target of their protest, and without the congregants acknowledging that, even if misguided in its form, the protesters have a very valid reason to protest.  There just has to be that acknowledgement and reasonableness on both

On that last sentence, it reminds me of the veteran who met with Kaepernick back when he first started his protests when he was still with the 49ers.  I forget his name.  And he was against the protests and felt they were offensive, but simultaneously acknowledged that part of what he had fought for while a veteran was that very freedom to protest peacefully.  After talking with Kaepernick, he understood that what Kaepernick was protesting was different, and although he disagreed with HOW Kaepernick was protesting, he understood and supported it, and Kaepernick likewise acknowledged the other side as well and modified his exact mode of protest to be less offensive to many.  What I liked about it is that both sides listened and tried to understand.  They still didn't agree, but they listened, and got to a place where each could say, "I accept your views and will move a bit off my position to at least make a serious effort to accommodate them, but I still believe my position is important too and will not discard it."  But that, seemingly, was the only bit of progress made on that.  And sad to say, I think far too many on both sides don't understand that and are tone deaf to it.

All that said, I'm kinda with Barto on the point of, when taking a step back and thinking about it, we don't even need the anthem at sporting events in the first place, and if you remove that, there really isn't anything to protest.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:00:14 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
^I agree.  And what I also see, but do not see talked about, is that I believe the "two sides" of the issue are talking past each other and not acknowledging the others' issues.

Here is an example to illustrate what I mean:  Drew Brees made what I consider to be a very reasonable explanation of his opinion on kneeling.  Whether one agrees, disagrees, or falls somewhere in the middle, his explanation was perfectly reasonable and about as inoffensive as I could possibly imagine if one is going to take a position in the first place (obviously, keeping one's mouth shut is the least offensive option of all, but we are talking about people who may not agree trying to have a dialog).  To him, the flag is a symbol of the country, and specifically, the country's guarantees of freedom to all, and the anthem at games is a remembrance of the U.S. military's involvement in securing that.  So, to him, a protest during the anthem is a protest of our military members who put their lives on the line for freedom.

All that said, I'm kinda with Barto on the point of, when taking a step back and thinking about it, we don't even need the anthem at sporting events in the first place, and if you remove that, there really isn't anything to protest.

Players who have objected and taken extreme positions against Brees are saying, no, the protests aren't about that.  They are about protesting the oppression of minorities, and more specifically, that oppression by the police and public officials "behind the flag," with the flag being the symbol of that oppression. 

So they are talking about the flag representing two very different things.  Hence, when taking different positions on protesting, they are not actually even talking about the same underlying issue.  When I was talking about this with one of my sons the other day, the best analogy I could come up with is this:  Let's say a segment of society chooses to actively protest sexual abuse by the Catholic clergy.  And their means of protest is to go to various churches (not just Catholic) and burn bibles in the parking lot during worship services as a silent protest.  If they were to show up at our local nondenominational bible church and do that, their act of burning bibles would offend many, even though NONE of those people would support abuse in the Catholic Church, or anything even associated with the Catholic Church.  But it would be difficult to engage in a serious dialog without the protesters acknowledging that their protest was causing offense to a group of people who are well outside the target of their protest, and without the congregants acknowledging that, even if misguided in its form, the protesters have a very valid reason to protest.  There just has to be that acknowledgement and reasonableness on both

On that last sentence, it reminds me of the veteran who met with Kaepernick back when he first started his protests when he was still with the 49ers.  I forget his name.  And he was against the protests and felt they were offensive, but simultaneously acknowledged that part of what he had fought for while a veteran was that very freedom to protest peacefully.  After talking with Kaepernick, he understood that what Kaepernick was protesting was different, and although he disagreed with HOW Kaepernick was protesting, he understood and supported it, and Kaepernick likewise acknowledged the other side as well and modified his exact mode of protest to be less offensive to many.  What I liked about it is that both sides listened and tried to understand.  They still didn't agree, but they listened, and got to a place where each could say, "I accept your views and will move a bit off my position to at least make a serious effort to accommodate them, but I still believe my position is important too and will not discard it."  But that, seemingly, was the only bit of progress made on that.  And sad to say, I think far too many on both sides don't understand that and are tone deaf to it.

This is extremely well said.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #353 on: June 28, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »
Cam Newton signing with the Patriots.

:corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
 :corn :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »
Holy shit 1 year deal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2020, 06:17:26 PM »
Those press conferences.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: June 28, 2020, 06:34:12 PM »
And the penalty came down for the video infraction.  1 1 million penalty and a 3rd round pick. No Patriots tv productions for a year.

31 other NFL team's fan are about to lose it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: June 28, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »
And the penalty came down for the video infraction.  1 1 million penalty and a 3rd round pick. No Patriots tv productions for a year.

Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »

So how does this work for their games? Do the other teams film crews have to share their footage when playing them?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »
No.  The crew that filmed is for a internet show on their coaching staff. It has nothing to do with gameplans.

The league gives full game film to the teams.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2020, 10:31:03 PM »
No.  The crew that filmed is for a internet show on their coaching staff. It has nothing to do with gameplans.

The league gives full game film to the teams.

Ok that makes sense.

-MirrorMask

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »
That's surprisingly fair. The 3rd seems a little steep since it's not a football related offense, but they usually have plenty of them anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2020, 11:16:19 PM »

Up to 7 million if he meets all of then incentives. I'm not sure how you don't sign him for that. I don't have a lot of faith in the guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham beats him out for the gig, but that's a worthwhile flyer to take. Sucks to by Brian Hoyer, again.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2020, 07:12:57 AM »
Hi this is Stadler's wife, just letting you know he might not be here for a couple days; he read the Cam Newton announcement, let go a string of f-bombs, something, something, can't win the big game, choker, something, something, be hurt by the third game, something, doesn't know what he needs to be one of the greats... then his head exploded.   Right now he's in bed mumbling about "taking one to the face" or something, I don't know.

Anyway, I'll let you know if anything changes. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
Hi this is Stadler's wife, just letting you know he might not be here for a couple days; he read the Cam Newton announcement, let go a string of f-bombs, something, something, can't win the big game, choker, something, something, be hurt by the third game, something, doesn't know what he needs to be one of the greats... then his head exploded.   Right now he's in bed mumbling about "taking one to the face" or something, I don't know.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
then his head exploded.   Right now he's in bed mumbling about "taking one to the face" or something, I don't know.

In light of the head explosion, where is the mumbling coming from?  Maybe I don't want to know....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
then his head exploded.   Right now he's in bed mumbling about "taking one to the face" or something, I don't know.

In light of the head explosion, where is the mumbling coming from?  Maybe I don't want to know....

:tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »

Apparently it was your combined love for the use of a comma that attracted you guys to each other.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #370 on: June 29, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »

Up to 7 million if he meets all of then incentives. I'm not sure how you don't sign him for that. I don't have a lot of faith in the guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham beats him out for the gig, but that's a worthwhile flyer to take. Sucks to by Brian Hoyer, again.

Yep, it seems like a low risk/high reward for the Patriots.  My guess is that McDaniels will revamp the whole offense for when Cam plays, if he does in fact win the starting job.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: June 29, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »

Yep, it seems like a low risk/high reward for the Patriots.  My guess is that McDaniels will revamp the whole offense for when Cam plays, if he does in fact win the starting job.
My hunch is that they revamp the offense for whoever the QB is. I don't think they'll be looking to force Stidham into Brady's offense. That's not what NE does. They'll craft an offense around Stidham's strengths and weaknesses, and the same for Cam. The difference is that Cam's would probably be an even bigger departure from the established norm than Stidham's.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: June 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
I'm interested in how Cam affects the passing game.   Does teams put an extra guy in the box incase?  Does that open up the long game?  Is Cam capable of his past play?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #373 on: June 29, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
You guys are funny thinking there will be football games this year.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: June 30, 2020, 04:54:50 AM »
Wishful thinking.   Staying positive.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2020, 06:07:08 AM »
I'm interested in how Cam affects the passing game.   Does teams put an extra guy in the box incase?  Does that open up the long game? Is Cam capable of his past play?

If he can stay healthy, which seems like a big if, you never know.  If anyone can get consistent, great play out of Cam Newton, it's Bill Belichick.  Heck, he squeezed great play for almost 20 years out of a noodle-armed 6th rounder, so imagine what he can do with a former number 1 pick! :P :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:40 AM »

Cam hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Can he stay on the field is the right question.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »
You guys are funny thinking there will be football games this year.

While I love me some football, I just don't see how it's going to happen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:31 AM »

Cam hasn't been healthy for 2 years. Can he stay on the field is the right question.
Kurt Warner addressed this in an op-ed yesterday. After the greatest show on turf he was in a nearly identical situation before moving on to Arizona. IIRC he missed one season due to injury, and then got benched in week one of the next and never took another snap for StL.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »
I'm back.  It was touch and go for a while.   Not happy about this signing at all.   I mean, I get it, but I don't think a 31-year-old (actual age) 42-year-old (mileage) quarterback who's shown no inclination for the intellectual side of the game is the way to go.  And I can't believe Belichick thinks it is.

What's Cam's game at this point?   His arm is shot, so he's not going to be a pocket passer, he's glass, so he's not going to be a scrambling, "make-it-happen" guy, and he's not a field general, so he's not going to be a game manager.   What's this going to look like? 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: June 30, 2020, 08:13:09 AM »
I'm back.  It was touch and go for a while.   Not happy about this signing at all.   I mean, I get it, but I don't think a 31-year-old (actual age) 42-year-old (mileage) quarterback who's shown no inclination for the intellectual side of the game is the way to go.  And I can't believe Belichick thinks it is.

What's Cam's game at this point?   His arm is shot, so he's not going to be a pocket passer, he's glass, so he's not going to be a scrambling, "make-it-happen" guy, and he's not a field general, so he's not going to be a game manager.   What's this going to look like?
If he gets the gig it's going to look like a stop-gap until he gets the QB he wants. And the truth is we've got no idea what Cam has left in him. Again, see Warner. I don't disagree about the general assessment of him before the injuries; he's not what I want in a QB. I think the point here is that there's a good chance he's a step up from Stidham, and that's who NE has to work with until they draft the QB of the future. Something they were unable to do this year.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: June 30, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Add to the mix this offseason where every team is in the unknown and out of sorts.  Football coaches and players like structure and covid has messed that up.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #382 on: June 30, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »
Newton at his worst could derail an entire game. Newton at his best went 15-1 and won the MVP. Belichick got an 11-5 season out of Matt Cassel. If any coach can bring the best back out of Cam, it’s Bill. This is a move the Pats had to make. With Buffalo looking like a contender, the Jets slowly improving, and the Dolphins having a bright future, New England had to do something to stay competitive and relevant until they find their future franchise QB. Cam Newton has proven that he can be elite, and nobody has brought more out of their players than Bill Belichick. I’m intrigued albeit a bit nervous about getting spanked twice this season as usual.

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: June 30, 2020, 12:59:38 PM »
I just read that the Pats can franchise Cam after the season. He didn't have that blocked in the contract.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #384 on: June 30, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
If he plays well enough to be worth $28 million I think we'll all be happy about it.
E.F. Benson