Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114043 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Chiefs give future GOAT big bucks
« Reply #525 on: August 03, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
Flutie?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #526 on: August 03, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
Doug Flutie

QB 1:  Warren Moon (Kansas City Chiefs, 1999; his final year was 2000 also with the Chiefs)
QB 2:  Doug Flutie (New England Patriots, 2005; his final year) 
QB 3:  Vinnie Testaverde (New England Patriots, 2006; his final year was 2007 with the Carolina Panthers)
QB 4:

The "One Other Guy":  Steve DeBerg (Atlanta Falcons, 1998)

Flutie drop-kicked an extra point attempt (successfully) in that last season, the first time since 1940-somthing that that had been done. 

Hints for the last guy:  achieved as much (if not more) notoriety for his kicking game.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #527 on: August 03, 2020, 11:35:40 AM »
Doug Flutie

QB 1:  Warren Moon (Kansas City Chiefs, 1999; his final year was 2000 also with the Chiefs)
QB 3:  Vinnie Testaverde (New England Patriots, 2006; his final year was 2007 with the Carolina Panthers)
QB 4:

Flutie drop-kicked an extra point attempt (successfully) in that last season, the first time since 1940-somthing that that had been done. 

Hints for the last guy:  achieved as much (if not more) notoriety for his kicking game.

I can't remember the name but he played for the Raiders and was an American Indian?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: August 03, 2020, 11:37:32 AM »
Danny White.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
Doug Flutie

QB 4:

I can't remember the name but he played for the Raiders and was an American Indian?

OK - I was thinking Jim Plunkett but you're prolly talking about George Blanda.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
George Blanda

QB 4:  George Blanda (Oakland Raiders, 1970; his final year was 1975 with the Oakland Raiders at age 48).

The "affiliation" with Brady was that Brady grew up in San Mateo, and while he was a 49ers/Montana fan, the Oakland Raiders were the other local team, just across the bay from San Fran. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2020, 03:07:16 PM »
My guesses were (before reading the subsequent posts in this thread)

George Blanda
Vinnie Testaverde
Vince Evans
Steve DeBerg

I've since looked it up, and I got three of the top five oldest quarterbacks in NFL history (Vince Evans is somewhere in the top 20, but not in the top 10).  And I see what you're doing with DeBerg, who, while playing at age 44, didn't play while he was 43.

I'm not sure any of the top four are "household names" (unless you're only looking at households that are home to football fans over the age of 40-45).  Honorable mention needs to go to the NFL's second-oldest QB of all time, John Nesser, who, at the age of 45 in 1921, played for the Columbus Panhandles (yes, it was an NFL team, although it was before the NFL was called the NFL, and, when he was 43, it wasn't even the APFA yet).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
Danny White.

He was only 36 when he last played in 1988.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #533 on: August 03, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »
Flutie and Moon were the two I had. I kind of assumed Favre qualified, but whiffed on that one. Vinnie and Blanda never would have occurred to me, and I'd pretty much forgotten that DeBerg ever even existed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: August 03, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
Danny White.

He was only 36 when he last played in 1988.

My memory is fuzzy. Lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 04, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »
I may have let my geography play in; Flutie and Testaverde are very much household names here, because of Boston College and the Jets, respectively.   For me, growing up a fan of the Raiders - Madden, Stabler, Biletnikoff, etc. - Blanda was also well known. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
I may have let my geography play in; Flutie and Testaverde are very much household names here, because of Boston College and the Jets, respectively.   For me, growing up a fan of the Raiders - Madden, Stabler, Biletnikoff, etc. - Blanda was also well known.

Again, you have to be clear about which households you're surveying.  My wife and I established a rule a long time ago:  an athlete isn't "famous" unless she's heard of him, and an actor/actress isn't "famous" unless I've heard of him/her.  Without asking her, the only person mentioned in the last several posts that she for sure knows (besides Brady) is Flutie.

While Blanda was before my time, I had a book when I was a kid that had short bios of probably 15-20 NFL greats, so I learned a bit about guys like Blanda, Sammy Baugh, Bronco Nagurski, etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: August 04, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »

Again, you have to be clear about which households you're surveying.  My wife and I established a rule a long time ago:  an athlete isn't "famous" unless she's heard of him, and an actor/actress isn't "famous" unless I've heard of him/her.  Without asking her, the only person mentioned in the last several posts that she for sure knows (besides Brady) is Flutie.

While Blanda was before my time, I had a book when I was a kid that had short bios of probably 15-20 NFL greats, so I learned a bit about guys like Blanda, Sammy Baugh, Bronco Nagurski, etc.

That's fair.  I'm not arguing with you.   (And we have a similar game, especially when watching "celebrity" versions of TV shows.  It's a running gag that I don't see any difference between the regular version and the celebrity version.)

If it matters I did the same check:  Warren Moon, Doug Flutie:  Yes.   Vinnie Testaverde:  Name sounds familiar.   George Blanda, Steve DeBerg:  Who?   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: August 04, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
For me, growing up a fan of the Raiders - Madden, Stabler, Biletnikoff, etc. -

Me too! Dave Casper was my favorite player.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #539 on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:01 AM »
For me, growing up a fan of the Raiders - Madden, Stabler, Biletnikoff, etc. -

Me too! Dave Casper was my favorite player.

Many years ago, Playboy had an article on the Raiders back in the day. Those guys were crazy ass motherfuckers man! I think it was Biletnikoff who got so nervous before a game that he chained smoked up until he was introduced by the announcer. Then there's the story of a defensive lineman (It may have been Lyle Alzado but don't hold me to that) who broke his leg during a game but kept playing. Years later the leg had to be amputated because it never healed correctly and he basically said, 'go ahead and take it off, I got another'. The article was full of those stories and somehow I lost that issue.

That era of the Raiders were freaking crazy!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2020, 07:55:45 AM »
I have Ken Stabler's autobiography Snake, and it's more of a hardcover version of the Penthouse Forum than it is a book about football.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 05, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
I loved that about those guys.  You know full well that a third of that team had liquor on their breath when they took the field on any given Sunday.   And yet they won. "Just win, baby."    Not sustainable, of course, and impossible to do today, but fun for what it was.   

When I worked up in Erie, Biletnikoff was sort of a local idol.  His old high school's field is named after him and has a big sign.  I think I worked with his nephew, too.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #543 on: August 14, 2020, 07:04:26 AM »
Yeah what a moron. I know self-control is a dirty word these days, but my goodness. Nice job of sabotaging your career.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #544 on: August 14, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #545 on: August 14, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
Anyone else catch the first episode of Hard Knocks?  This year they are doing Los Angeles, so both teams.  It's pretty interesting seeing everything they are doing in the wake of the coronavirus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: August 18, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Yeah, being a Rams fan I'm watching.  I'm soaking up all the camp live streams also.  Hey, who knows how much if any actual football we get this year so we better soak it up.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #547 on: August 18, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »
Yeah, being a Rams fan I'm watching.  I'm soaking up all the camp live streams also.  Hey, who knows how much if any actual football we get this year so we better soak it up.  :lol
Exactly  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
Boy, Dan Snyder is probably happier than anyone that these MLB/NBA protests happened today. More disparaging news about his alleged creepiness got bumped off the front page.

And if you were planning on a full "normal" NFL season, you can forget about it. Settle in for more protests, forfeits, cancelled games... Settle in, this crazy sports year is far from over.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #549 on: August 27, 2020, 07:18:50 AM »
How is it that little Danny Snyder still owns a pro football team?  ???

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: August 27, 2020, 08:02:13 AM »
With the understanding (I hope) that I'm being a little facetious...

All the drama with baseball, ignored.  I don't watch until the playoffs, and honestly, lately, not until the World Series.  I just have no interest.   All the drama with basketball, ignored.  I don't watch pro hoops at all, not even if there's nothing else on.  BO-ring, and the "protests" register exactly 0 on the "care meter" (in fact I think they're counterproductive).  Hockey... well, I'm always interested in playoff hockey, but the round-robin thing is a little confusing, so I'm waffling, at least until the end if there's a team I like.

But all my eggs are in the NFL basket.  I even (usually) watch the preseason games, and will watch at least a game a day on Mon, Thurs, and Sun.   But I just... I'm struggling to get interested.  I want to watch FOOTBALL, not have every game be a civics or medical drama.   I wonder how this is going to play out, and I wonder how this is going to impact the actual game on the field?   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: August 27, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
With the understanding (I hope) that I'm being a little facetious...

All the drama with baseball, ignored.  I don't watch until the playoffs, and honestly, lately, not until the World Series.  I just have no interest.   All the drama with basketball, ignored.  I don't watch pro hoops at all, not even if there's nothing else on.  BO-ring, and the "protests" register exactly 0 on the "care meter" (in fact I think they're counterproductive).  Hockey... well, I'm always interested in playoff hockey, but the round-robin thing is a little confusing, so I'm waffling, at least until the end if there's a team I like.

But all my eggs are in the NFL basket.  I even (usually) watch the preseason games, and will watch at least a game a day on Mon, Thurs, and Sun.   But I just... I'm struggling to get interested.  I want to watch FOOTBALL, not have every game be a civics or medical drama.   I wonder how this is going to play out, and I wonder how this is going to impact the actual game on the field?

I'm not that different.  Football is my favorite sport and it's really the only sport where I will watch other games not relating to my team.  There's a huge part of me that really wants this season to play on as if normal (minus the crowds) and I am looking forward to it, but there is the other part of me, the covid depressed part of me, that just feel like I don't even care if this season happens or not.  That may also just relate to the fact that my team is destined to be garbage again this year  :lol but I do think my general feelings at this time of not really being excited about anything coming up in the future play a role as well.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #552 on: August 31, 2020, 11:20:08 PM »
If two players wanted to fuck with NFL statisticians, it'd be funny if they both held on to the football while crossing the goal line. If the NFL has some obscure rule to break the tie over whom is credited with the TD like the guy who had the ball first gets credit then it'd be funny if they thought ahead and somehow succeeded in having the QB lob the ball to them in some completely unlikely play where both are open in the corner of the endzone and they both catch it simultaneously.

Also, I just realized how despite the Dolphins' win over the Bears in 1985 to end their perfect season bid was generally exciting, the actual scoring plays, themselves, were surprisingly bland. Of the 62 points scored in that game, 34 occurred on field goals or 1-yard TD runs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:18:47 AM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2020, 05:36:02 AM »
I want to watch FOOTBALL, not have every game be a civics or medical drama. 

This is not your year then.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: September 01, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
I want to watch FOOTBALL, not have every game be a civics or medical drama. 

This is not your year then.

You have no idea.  :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #555 on: September 01, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »
I'm here for it. Too many non-POC people get to use sports as an escape from their reality which isn't remotely as stressful as the average POC's reality is. The fact that the majority of the NFL and NBA are people representing those demographics makes it 100% fine imo for them to use their platform as they see fit. Most of the "Life is tough, suck it up, kid.", "Play the hand your dealt.", etc. people will defend the abhorrent business practices of corporate America because "Anyone can make it if they work hard." and act like there's no problem with corporations using leverage to unfair extents yet all of that defense of leverage being an earned thing goes out the window once it's POC turning the tables.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
I'm here for it. Too many non-POC people get to use sports as an escape from their reality which isn't remotely as stressful as the average POC's reality is. The fact that the majority of the NFL and NBA are people representing those demographics makes it 100% fine imo for them to use their platform as they see fit. Most of the "Life is tough, suck it up, kid.", "Play the hand your dealt.", etc. people will defend the abhorrent business practices of corporate America because "Anyone can make it if they work hard." and act like there's no problem with corporations using leverage to unfair extents yet all of that defense of leverage being an earned thing goes out the window once it's POC turning the tables.

I'm sympathetic to the cause up to a point.  It's statements like that that demark the line for me.  Notwithstanding the "walk a mile in my shoes" concept, the whole underlying premise of tolerance is to understand that for all of us there is struggle of various forms and fashions.   To try to put objective measure on things like that, things that have no real standard of measure, doesn't help the process of understanding.   

As for the rest, well, agree to disagree; that's one way of looking at it, but it just sounds a lot like finger pointing to me.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »

This. All of this.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DT.net Member
« Reply #558 on: September 01, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »

I'm sympathetic to the cause up to a point.  It's statements like that that demark the line for me.  Notwithstanding the "walk a mile in my shoes" concept, the whole underlying premise of tolerance is to understand that for all of us there is struggle of various forms and fashions.   To try to put objective measure on things like that, things that have no real standard of measure, doesn't help the process of understanding.   

As for the rest, well, agree to disagree; that's one way of looking at it, but it just sounds a lot like finger pointing to me.

POC have to fear for their lives EVERY day of their life. It's not even just behind the wheel anymore. They can't even hide in their houses from it since that woman was killed while playing PS4, being shot at numerous times, and don't even get me started on Breonna Taylor. This stuff is happening to POC at an appallingly disproportionate clip compared to non-POCs. There's your "real standard of measure". Ignore it if you wish to.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:37 PM »
There is a bit of a two-way street here that is not being fully acknowledged in the press. We are being told the players have no obligation to perform for the consumer if they feel more inclined to protest. The other side of that coin is that the consumer is under no obligation to patronize a business should they decide not to. If the NFL (or NBA, or Ike's Smokeshop down the street) wants to place a focus on social justice, or turn their product in to a 'civics or medical drama', they can't condemn or denounce those who might choose to seek out their entertainment elsewhere. Both have to be acceptable, or neither is acceptable.