Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439571 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1365 on: March 20, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
Thanks all...unemployment should be a no brainer, and my company is covering our insurance as long as we remain employees no matter the hours or lack thereof. I have no issues working at a local grocery store to make a few bucks either, and have a good friend whose in charge of the prepared foods at the local whole foods who'd hire me in an instant if he needs the help.

Still, thanks guys.  :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1366 on: March 20, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »
Our work has been deemed a Critical Infrastructure Industry.  We do not shut down.

Need workers, I've been indefinitely laid off without pay. Just filled out my first ever unemployment claim.

That blows, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1367 on: March 20, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »
I officially got my exemption paperwork from my company in the event Minnesota moves to shelter-in-place and closes everything down. I'm surprised it didn't happen today. I think it's inevitable within the next week and it feels like we're just delaying the inevitable. Glad to know I'll still have a job.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: March 20, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »
we are having capacity issues in our LA data center.  Too many people on the internet  :lol but seriously, we are scheduled to upgrade our network to support this need but none of us can travel and obviously we are supposed to keep distance from each other so we physically can't do the necessary infrastructure upgrades.  Things are getting real interesting now.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1369 on: March 20, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
Shelter in place for Illinois, my boss is giving Pritzker the finger, I'm still working, c'est la vie, saw this coming last week. Whatever, at least I still get paid, and that means everybody else will stay the fuck away so we can get caught up. This is a win win as far as I'm concerned. 4 people work here, we gucci. The next 2 weeks will be fairly easy for me, but I hope it starts to get back to normal the week of April 7th.

I think the shelter in place is more beneficial and effective up in the Chicago metropolitan area but at least people downstate are taking this seriously so I hope we see good numbers in 2-3 weeks... Ideally everybody stays home while we get our work done here, and that'll be the worst of my headaches.  :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1370 on: March 20, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
Shelter in place for Illinois, my boss is giving Pritzker the finger, I'm still working, c'est la vie, saw this coming last week. Whatever, at least I still get paid, and that means everybody else will stay the fuck away so we can get caught up. This is a win win as far as I'm concerned. 4 people work here, we gucci. The next 2 weeks will be fairly easy for me, but I hope it starts to get back to normal the week of April 7th.

I think the shelter in place is more beneficial and effective up in the Chicago metropolitan area but at least people downstate are taking this seriously so I hope we see good numbers in 2-3 weeks... Ideally everybody stays home while we get our work done here, and that'll be the worst of my headaches.  :(

But if you listened to his conference......he said shelter in place then in the same breath said you can still go to the park, to the store, to the.......like twenty other places. So all he did was create more panic for people who only read headlines.....which is 95% of the population. Already reports of Walmart’s and other stores looking like looting zones because of the panic of ‘stay at home’

Missouri’s Governor backed cities who choose to put a stay at home injunction in place but will not commit to statewide. He realizes St. Louis city is different from Bonne Terre (rural areas) He also is mandating no groups of (10) or more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1371 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »

But if you listened to his conference......he said shelter in place then in the same breath said you can still go to the park, to the store, to the.......like twenty other places. So all he did was create more panic for people who only read headlines.....which is 95% of the population. Already reports of Walmart’s and other stores looking like looting zones because of the panic of ‘stay at home’

Missouri’s Governor backed cities who choose to put a stay at home injunction in place but will not commit to statewide. He realizes St. Louis city is different from Bonne Terre (rural areas) He also is mandating no groups of (10) or more.

That's true, I think the name is a misnomer if we can still go to work, grocery store etc. But I also think people grossly over-panic at the slightest things. People panic when there's a light dusting of snow, so I'm not surprised this is making them panic, but good gravy, get it together, people!!

And yeah. A friend of mine did me a solid while he was out and picked up some beef, and dropped 2 1-pound packs off for me, since I have none and won't get to the store for another 30 minutes. He said our Wal-Mart looks bonkers. I'm gonna go to the local one. It's supposedly not much better. I really wish people would get this dumb panic buying out of their system. Groceries will stay open. There is not a problem with the food supply in this country. LEAVE SOME BEEF FOR THE REST OF US please  >:(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1372 on: March 20, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »
Our work has been deemed a Critical Infrastructure Industry.  We do not shut down.

Need workers, I've been indefinitely laid off without pay. Just filled out my first ever unemployment claim.

My wifes stepdad was just laid off.  This family of auto dealership owners laid off everyone in all departments.  And cancelled their insurance...but offered them Cobra.

How awful.  No job, no insurance, should they get sick...unless they want to pay thousands out of pocket for Cobra.

Hope you're doing alright!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: March 20, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
How awful.  No job, no insurance, should they get sick...unless they want to pay thousands out of pocket for Cobra.

Hopefully they stay true to their word of not charging for people who get the virus.  The second state testing center they are opening up by me isn't charging anything, you just need a state drivers license.  Granted, that's just to get a test.  Hopefully that rolls over to treatment if needed too.  This is only going to get worse.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1374 on: March 20, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
Man, no job and no insurance is scary as fuck. My heart goes out to all that get affected.

Over here that would be illegal. If you want to lay off someone for economical reasons, you'd need permission, and to get that I think a company needs prove their situation is dire and that there was no way to prevent it. And no insurance is thankfully not a thing over here.

I really hope that at the very least this outbreak will lead to societies examining what we can do better in the future, to prevent many lives being potentially ruined in like the course of a couple of weeks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
I really hope that at the very least this outbreak will lead to societies examining what we can do better in the future, to prevent many lives being potentially ruined in like the course of a couple of weeks.

There's a lot to be learned from this, all around. 

In other news, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/a-person-in-pences-office-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-vps-office-announces

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1376 on: March 20, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »

I yearn for a society that doesn't run around in panic like their heads were cut off when something like this happen.  Just have a good rationale and a good game plan on how to approach issues and epidemic like this that doesn't ruin people's livelihood to the extend that it changes lives for the worst rather than for the better.

I will still yearn though since I don't see this being a huge reality in our lifetime.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1377 on: March 20, 2020, 05:49:59 PM »

What we can do better in the future is stop screwing up the planet.

This virus was caused by a combination of aggressive urbanization, overpopulation, pollution and lack of hygiene, all things that contributed for stuff that was always isolated in the nature to come into contact with humans. So the simple yet impossible answer is "How about maybe we don't pour concrete upon each and every single tree we can find?"

New epidemics often arise in Asia and Africa because it's there that the combination of fast urbanization mixed with overpopulation and poor hygenic standards allows for these kind of viruses to mutate and transmit to humans. And if one day a pandemic comes out of Brazil, you can bet it's because of the deforestation of Amazonia. And if one day a bacteria that was tucked away in the ice is released again, you can thank the global warming for that.

This is quite simplicistic and stripped down, of course, but the virus didn't come out of nowhere. It was a matter of time until something like this happened. Or better - something even worse than what had already happened, see the SARS for example, came along. And there's no easy and immediate plan of action for that, we can only hope to be better prepared next time, and that means making sure the sanitary system of our nations is considered the absolute and utmost priority in every politician's agenda.

Also how easily all of this spread is the definitive proof that, for better or worse, we're all connected, and that we need to think globally when it comes to the topics of utmost importance. One or two centuries ago, this would have stayed in China, or wouldn't have even happened in the first place. This time around it originated in December in China, exactly one month ago, 20th of February, was first spotted in Italy, and look where we are right now, all locked inside our homes with everything being cancelled, when was the last time an international major sporting event was postponed? I bet when Adolf Hitler was still alive.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1378 on: March 20, 2020, 06:39:31 PM »

My wifes stepdad was just laid off.  This family of auto dealership owners laid off everyone in all departments.  And cancelled their insurance...but offered them Cobra.

Hope you're doing alright!

My company is covering insurance as long as we don't formally quit, which is very cool of them. Just started filling out apps at grocery stores, theres a shit ton of jobs out there. And someone of my skill level in food should fit in easily in the meat, seafood, produce or deli dept. And it's all hopefully for a few months till this shit blows over.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1379 on: March 20, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1380 on: March 21, 2020, 04:42:56 AM »
hahaha. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
Why no one should thing the US response is an over-reaction.  If anything, imo more needs to be done (that goes for Canada too).  Grey is Italy; red(ish) is USA as of Thursday.  Italy reported over 6000 mores cases, and over 600 more deaths yesterday.

"The frightening chart above compares the US’s reactions to Italy’s. It shows confirmed case numbers in Italy and in the US, starting on the day when each country passed 100 confirmed cases. It shows the points at which Italy took various precautionary measures. To break away from Italy’s trajectory, we need to take measures that are stronger than the ones it took, or take measures sooner on the trajectory than it did."

“You are always behind where you think you are”
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1382 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
While I agree that we should be looking at Italy (and other countries) to get a sense of where this is going and take it more seriously, I'm not sure we can use number of confirmed cases and contrast it with other countries - at least using the US.  For one, we are FAR behind in testing and as more testing is done in the coming days, more positives are going to emerge now which skews the trajectory path in and of itself.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: March 21, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
While I agree that we should be looking at Italy (and other countries) to get a sense of where this is going and take it more seriously, I'm not sure we can use number of confirmed cases and contrast it with other countries - at least using the US.  For one, we are FAR behind in testing and as more testing is done in the coming days, more positives are going to emerge now which skews the trajectory path in and of itself.

And NY wants to slow down testing for only those where a positive results will change the treatment. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: March 21, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »

I understand Italy was pretty lax on testing as well.  Even if what you say is true, the numbers are just going to skyrocket even more.  Higher numbers don't change the last/bolded statement made (by Fauci).

"Keep in mind that the virus has a two-to-ten-day incubation period. In the past week or so, each of <case> was exposed to the virus. Then they got sick. Then they got sick enough to seek  medical attention, which can take a few more days. Then they got a test. Then the test took a day or more to return positive results (some people are reporting longer waits than that for results, while some newly designed tests might be able to get results faster).

Each of those positive tests, then, reflects an infection up to two weeks ago."

So, of the 2600+ cases reported in the US today, many may have been contracted as far back as the first week of March. 

DTF'rs in New York.  Seriously, stay inside except for essential reasons.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: March 21, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »

And NY wants to slow down testing for only those where a positive results will change the treatment. 

Same with LA County.  They don't have enough kits.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1386 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »
I realize that it makes us likely FAR worse than where Italy was at - I did not know they lagged in testing too.  The small part of my brain dedicated to math, statistics, and graph reading was just saying.   ;)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1387 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:53 AM »
Germany counted upwards of 21k infections as of today, with my home state coming in at number three. Total lockdowns are being discussed, partial ones have been implemented already. Fairly large exponential growth in numbers too as of now. I'm concerned.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1388 on: March 21, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »
Experts not named Trump were advising that our curve would spike quite a bit more sharply than other nations as we rolled out greater testing, but also predicted that it'd level out more quickly for a variety of reasons. This was to be expected. The reality is that there are a lot of differences between the US and Italy, and a curve like this is really pretty superficial.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1389 on: March 21, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »
In different news, curbside grocery pickup is a joke. I've never seen more than a third of all of the reserved pickup spots used. Ever. I've never seen more than 3 cars waiting. Yet there aren't any available slots for a week out. This tells me that they don't know WTF they're doing. Frankly, grocery stores are really fucking up their responses to this. And here's an idea. Maybe make those curbside slots available for the people who are at greater risk, since they're already concentrating the number of shoppers in the stores by restricting their damned hours.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1390 on: March 21, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
A friend of ours lost a dear friend to the virus yesterday. I'll spare you the details but suffice to say it was pretty gruesome the way he died and since he was quarantined, his last contact with family was via teleconference.

Everyone please stay safe and encourage people to take this seriously !

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: March 21, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
In different news, curbside grocery pickup is a joke.

Our favored grocery store has had curbside pickup for a while now, and while we've never used it, everyone we've talked to that has loves it. It is something that requires a lot of planning and coordination; it isn't something a store can roll out over the weekend.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1392 on: March 21, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
A friend of ours lost a dear friend to the virus yesterday. I'll spare you the details but suffice to say it was pretty gruesome the way he died and since he was quarantined, his last contact with family was via teleconference.

Everyone please stay safe and encourage people to take this seriously !

Sorry to hear that.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1393 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »
In different news, curbside grocery pickup is a joke.

Our favored grocery store has had curbside pickup for a while now, and while we've never used it, everyone we've talked to that has loves it. It is something that requires a lot of planning and coordination; it isn't something a store can roll out over the weekend.
You ever seen all of the spots full? Ever even seen it busy? There are always one or two cars there, but never more in all of the stores down here. And yeah, I get it's halfway complicated, but it's not rocket science. Limit everybody to 15 items or less. Assign narrow pickup windows, use it or loose it. Just those two things would speed up throughput tremendously.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: March 21, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
I've honestly never paid any attention to the logistics of it. I've just always gone about my normal grocery buying business.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: March 21, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
I never did curbside pick up and not even sure it's offered at my local shop rite. 

Well, NJ is shutting down at 9pm tonight.  My local booze shop is packed.  I stocked up on Tito's the other day, but grabbed a bottle of wine and claws for tonight.  They said they may not be open tomorrow, haven't been notified if liquor stores are deemed essential.  Run by an indian family, they were all on hand today. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1396 on: March 21, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
Why no one should thing the US response is an over-reaction.  If anything, imo more needs to be done (that goes for Canada too).  Grey is Italy; red(ish) is USA as of Thursday.  Italy reported over 6000 mores cases, and over 600 more deaths yesterday.

"The frightening chart above compares the US’s reactions to Italy’s. It shows confirmed case numbers in Italy and in the US, starting on the day when each country passed 100 confirmed cases. It shows the points at which Italy took various precautionary measures. To break away from Italy’s trajectory, we need to take measures that are stronger than the ones it took, or take measures sooner on the trajectory than it did."

“You are always behind where you think you are”

"Some people are so far behind in the race that they actually believe they're leading." -Junior Soprano

I just pray that analogy doesn't apply to the powers-that-be here in the U.S.  :( :(

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1397 on: March 21, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »
I caught Murphy's speech a little while ago, I believe he mentioned liquor stores would still be able to be open.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1398 on: March 21, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
I'm extremely frustrated that the Governor of WA did not issue a shut down.   Several exposures at work, and yet the work moves forward.  Construction work is literally like working in a petri dish.  So I finally made a very difficult decision and formally requested that my foreman put me on "standby" status.   My request was granted, but I feel like my unemployment benefits may still be in limbo.   If there was a shutdown, this would be a slam dunk.  But because my job did NOT shut down, and the work is moving forward, it may make my claim a bit iffy. 

They promise you that you will get the benefits, but the people making the promises are not the actual Employment Security Department. 

This whole thing is a mess.   The Governor just needs to issue a shut down. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: March 21, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
JD, I am surprised Inslee hasn't issued a shutdown. He isn't a forward thinker, and I would have imagined he would follow the lead of those other bastions of Liberalism CA and NY by now.

I have mixed feelings about it. Some are selfish... my job has limited exposure, and our workload is ultimately up to our clients and if they want us working on their homes. But if the lumberyard and Home Depot shut down, we can't do anything. But I am also fortunate enough that we can survive a short term shutdown unlike other businesses in other industries. My wife is already at home (being a teacher) so we don't have the worry about childcare so many families do. 

The WA ESD site has laid out the current info in a nice fashion if you haven't had a chance to check it out yet.