Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435078 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1470 on: March 23, 2020, 09:18:01 AM »
In Italy we tried that for a while and eventually all parks are being closed down and sports activity is being suggested close to home. Just like strolling your dog which was an excuse to tour the entire town, it's been suggested to stay within 200 m from home.
I can see for high population density areas, even going for a walk can be an issue. For those of us in a suburban area, I really hope it never comes to banning that. I could walk for 30 minutes and maybe pass 2 people in my neighborhood. I can see keeping kids off of playground equipment though. But we are going to be very dependent on getting out for walks to keep us and the kids from going crazy in the house.

Yeah, but with the oversaturated hospitals, being paranoid becomes a necessity. You go out for a short run, you stumble, fall and break your ankle, then you gonna have to call the ambulance and you pile up on people needing more attention, and what if you're asintomatic and you infect someone? what if you sit on a bench where someone asintomatic sneezed an half hour ago and you touch it with your hands?

I agree, these are unrealistic scenarios, but you have to consider how many people are out there and how many irresponsable ones  there are. True, in 99% of the cases, going out alone for a short walk won't harm anyone. That 1% is covered by staying at home.

I'm not saying that everyone who takes a quiet solitary walk in the middle of nowhere should feel guilty, far from it. In your specific case I envy you, and I also think you're not doing anything wrong, it's good to be still outside from time to time. But I also see the necessity to become paranoid about it and urging everyone to stay always home.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1471 on: March 23, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Arguing that it's a bad idea to go for a walk because you'll stumble and trip and break your ankle is like arguing you shouldn't take the trash out because you may cut yourself on a piece of glass. At some point the paranoia becomes extreme and oppressive. In a suburban or especially rural community you should be fine talking a brief stroll around the block
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1472 on: March 23, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
At some point the paranoia becomes extreme and oppressive.

Ya think?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1473 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »
Tom hanks is still alive. Can everybody calm down now?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1474 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »
In Italy we tried that for a while and eventually all parks are being closed down and sports activity is being suggested close to home. Just like strolling your dog which was an excuse to tour the entire town, it's been suggested to stay within 200 m from home.
I can see for high population density areas, even going for a walk can be an issue. For those of us in a suburban area, I really hope it never comes to banning that. I could walk for 30 minutes and maybe pass 2 people in my neighborhood. I can see keeping kids off of playground equipment though. But we are going to be very dependent on getting out for walks to keep us and the kids from going crazy in the house.

Yeah, but with the oversaturated hospitals, being paranoid becomes a necessity.

This is a line outside a NY ER right now 

People definitely need to be more cautious.  We broke a glass in our home yesterday and I was concerned about someone needing stitches if they got cut.  I'd probably get out my sewing bag vs. going to an ER or UC at this point.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1475 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »
My brother works in retail.  He is likely to be furloughed at the end of the week.

While my department at work is considered "essential" and is thus still reporting to the office, I developed a low grade fever this morning, so I went home to work from there.  Could be any number of things, and since I have diabetes, any number of things could occur.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: March 23, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
Damn, stay safe Hef.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: March 23, 2020, 10:18:47 AM »
Seriously ... everyone that can - STAY THE FUCK HOME except for truly essential reasons - and doing home reno's while under isolation ain't essential.  I'm sorry, but everyone rushing out to Walmart and Home Depot ... how is that any different than the spring breakers in Clearwater?

Wish I could. Can't. If I miss a single paycheck I am fucked. I have no choice.

That's completely fair... and for many like you, WORK is essential.  I'm totally cool with that.

Yea, work is essential.  Home improvements?  No not really.

Was told last night that I will be needed to go in.  I got email notification that I am essential.  However, the building won't let me work there normally so I've got to work from home and prep things and then go in for a few hours to bang it all out.  However, the work load is getting really high as our networks are getting maxed out from everyone online so my list of things to do in a short time on site are getting way too large.  Oh well.  I guess it's better than being furloughed or laid off.  I just hope someone recognizes the ONE (literally the only person on the east coast) person who has to leave their house to keep this company functioning. 

Also, since we are online advertising, it would seem, ads aren't "essential" but the government is using our platform for PSAs from the CDC.  So instead of ads, we are also doing this with our platform which is why it is "essential".  The CEO of our parent company was also on CNN stating our employees are going to work to keep the internet going.  Someone's got to do it...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1478 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »
Let's not forget how we got here, though.  We got here because people weren't social distancing, and weren't being prudent with their interactions.  As Mr. "Tend Your Own Garden", I'm biased against those people that take the "well, they mean all THOSE people, not me!" stance - a very common stance, as it happens - but I don't think that the magic is JUST sequestration.  In fact, I worry that being sequestered might actually make us careless with the little things that would truly and provably lower our exposure odds. 

How many people know the survival rate on cardboard?  So what about all those packages that are still being sent?   If I was going to go to Appleby's, and sit in the dining room with an infected person, and instead we both get take out from the same place, does that really materially change my exposure odds?  I'm sure it does, but enough to put that cool diagram above into effect?  I don't know; do you? 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1479 on: March 23, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
I believe it's 24 hours on cardboard.

If you get take out, transfer your take out to a plate with out touching it with your hands.  Or, open the container, wash your hands, transfer the food to a plate, throw out the container, wash your hands again, and microwave the food. I believe at least 30 seconds was the recommended time.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: March 23, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
My brother works in retail.  He is likely to be furloughed at the end of the week.

While my department at work is considered "essential" and is thus still reporting to the office, I developed a low grade fever this morning, so I went home to work from there.  Could be any number of things, and since I have diabetes, any number of things could occur.

Stay positive brother... Jessica and I will be praying for you.  When this is over, cigars and whiskey will come your way.  :metal  PM me anytime if you want to talk and I'll throw my number at you.

I've read a few articles about testing temp in the late afternoon instead of in the morning (because our temps fluctuate roughly a degree in either direction during the morning and mid afternoon hours) and that you should consider only 100+ a fever.  Control it as best you can with what you have.  Though I was joking in my earlier post about Baptist being a good hospital... it actually is a very good hospital and system.  Wake will handle things, and you and your family will be fine.

Being pragmatic for a moment, we honestly want to see the denominator (number of confirmed cases) go up and we should all be prepared for it because we're (the US) testing now.  Patient 0 allegedly being traced to mid November 2019 (can't remember where I read that) COVID19 has likely traveled the world already and the world may never actually know the true number of cases.  I honestly wish that someone in our Government would simply say that cases are going to surge over the next few weeks because we're testing now... and I can also wish that the press would communicate that fully instead of making an eye-catching headline and assuming that the entire article is read.  Hopefully and prayerfully, our medical systems will not be over-run too badly and those that need the critical care will receive it; that's where Social Distancing will work for us all I think.

The entire world has to pull together, and I believe we will.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1481 on: March 23, 2020, 10:53:30 AM »

If you get take out, transfer your take out to a plate with out touching it with your hands.  Or, open the container, wash your hands, transfer the food to a plate, throw out the container, wash your hands again, and microwave the food. I believe at least 30 seconds was the recommended time.

Better yet, DON'T GET TAKEOUT! Learn to cook and you forego all the risk entirely and you let someone avoid going outside one less time. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1482 on: March 23, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

Better yet, DON'T GET TAKEOUT! Learn to cook and you forego all the risk entirely and you let someone avoid going outside one less time. :lol

I'm definitely cooking more, but sometimes you just want some chipotle bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1483 on: March 23, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
I'm not currently getting take out - I've been trying to lose holiday weight and have been cooking since before this started.  (And I think it's been a good move all around for me). But Stadler asked, and if I was getting take out, I'd definitely be following the above advice.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1484 on: March 23, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »
our employees are going to work to keep the internet going.  Someone's got to do it...

Not all heroes wear capes.

At some point the paranoia becomes extreme and oppressive.

Ya think?

I'd like to think that most people would also consider 10M cases "extreme and oppressive".

Paranoia and being overtly/uber cautious to minimize/eliminate any health risk are two different things, imo.  The health system is getting crushed with COVID-19.  I'm not suggesting we all ball-up in a corner cowering in fear of 100% of life, but there's no need to make 5 trips to Home Depot in 2 days - sorry Bill, I gotta say that's an example of an unnecessary risk.

Going for a walk to get outside ... sure thing - so long as the 6 ft distances can be maintained.  But when 2M inside of NY City have that attitude ....  It's like voting.  1 person's action don't make a difference.  When a massive chunk of the population aggregates with the same behaviour, that's the problem. 

I say this knowing full well my rural environment avails me to situations and luxuries not everyone has.  At this point, any non-COVID health need is at risk of A) not getting attention, and B) opening up the possibility of continued spread of COVID-19

This is not 'eliminating risk' ... Vancouver over the weekend:

As Stads says... tend your own garden (and hope that everyone else does as well).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1485 on: March 23, 2020, 11:12:21 AM »

I've been on a roll with that lately.  Last night was chicken parm; fairly straightforward, but I might make something more fancy tonight, since it's snowing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1486 on: March 23, 2020, 11:26:16 AM »
Boeing has now suspended operations. 20 employees have tested positive. People are saying this is the first time in history that Boeing has just suspended operations.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1487 on: March 23, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
A few considerations from the trenches:

. I'm naturally in constant phone contact with my grandmother of 98 and last night I asked her: "Is this lockdown like WWII?" She answered: "Not at all. We helped each other staying together then, now you gotta help shutting in". Solidarity through solitude. Gotta be a first.

. First world health crisis in the social media era. Once we did what the doctors told us to do, now we know.

. During the first week of lockdown I forecast a big natality rate spike, after two weeks I'm guaranteeing a huge spike in divorces.

Meanwhile contagion rate and deaths 'round here are slightly decreasing. Maybe this nationwide quarantine is working.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:35:59 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1488 on: March 23, 2020, 11:49:21 AM »
I'll be interested to see where we are in about 2 weeks time.  By then, we SHOULD have much more meaningful data, both here in the U.S., and worldwide.  Right now, the biggest numbers are in China and Italy, and the numbers STILL aren't really big enough to tell us much of significance.  And both of those countries have somewhat unique situations.  I would say that, worldwide, we are still at the "we don't know much" stage. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1489 on: March 23, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Stay positive brother... Jessica and I will be praying for you.  When this is over, cigars and whiskey will come your way.  :metal 
Thanks pal, I appreciate it.  But believe you me, cigars and whiskey will help me through all of this lol

I'm not worried, mostly because there is nothing yet to worry about.  My wife is worried enough for the both of us.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1490 on: March 23, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »
I wonder how the states are going to handle ALL of the unemployment claims.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: March 23, 2020, 12:15:51 PM »
I would say that, worldwide, we are still at the "we don't know much" stage.

True. But we know enough to be extremely concerned, cautious, and diligent to all the warnings and guidance being given by health authorities.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1492 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
Hotels.com said it best. Just saw a new commercial with Captain Obvious isolating himself. The tagline is this:

Hotels.com
Just Stay Home

Can't argue with that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: March 23, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
Ontario in lockdown. Non essential businesses are to close by Wednesday. I fully expect the rest of the country to follow suit tomorrow or Wednesday.  We should be already.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1494 on: March 23, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
I would say that, worldwide, we are still at the "we don't know much" stage.

True. But we know enough to be extremely concerned, cautious, and diligent to all the warnings and guidance being given by health authorities.

And that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.  But in response:  cautious and diligent?  Absolutely.  Concerned?  Not really.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: March 23, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »
You’re not concerned?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1496 on: March 23, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
We should absolutely be concerned in general, because no healthcare system in the world seems capable of treating the amount of people that require intensive and longer term hospitalization (weeks). At this point that is not a maybe, that is proven fact based on many different locations with significant outbreaks. And in such a situation, where the healthcare is at capacity, a significant amount of people will die, corona or not. Car accident and someone is critical? Shit out of luck, the hospital is full. That will be the situation very quickly if people do not take this seriously enough.

And unfortunately, that was the case here. Full beaches, people playing sports in parks, crowded markets etc. The result? An increasing tense situation in our hospitals (one of our hospitals has patients in tents outside the building already) and the government had to announce stronger rules. We now will not have events or gatherings of people until the first of june. It is that dire.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1497 on: March 23, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
@Jingle:  Not overly, no.  We don't know enough to be concerned, and health officials aren't saying anything that causes me to be concerned.  At least, not a about the virus--the behavior of many in reacting to the virus is a whole different story.  But, again, that does not excuse caution or diligence at all. 

Anyhow, back to my musings about the data, it will be interesting to see what this looks like once we begin approaching the typical numbers for other colds.  I saw a couple of sources saying that there are about 1 billion cases of colds every year in this country (although data is spotty due to lack of reporting).  When we get a true understanding and appreciation of the numbers from this particular one, we should be getting a handle on meaningful comparisons.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: March 23, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
^ gotchya.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1499 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
It doesn't use the language...but wouldn't this qualify as "shelter in place"? 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/governor-kate-brown-tightens-social-distancing/283-b6f9bd09-22d6-48dd-a42f-8bc5596d9373?fbclid=IwAR1RrYIJ0kj_SucKsi6vnb-PLwvetC22o3IZzhOqiJ6EGtLzUN-MQAdXFVY

If you don't want to click, apparently the Governor of Oregon is issuing stricter guidelines (including fines and jail) if you don't stay home.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1500 on: March 23, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »
It doesn't use the language...but wouldn't this qualify as "shelter in place"? 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/governor-kate-brown-tightens-social-distancing/283-b6f9bd09-22d6-48dd-a42f-8bc5596d9373?fbclid=IwAR1RrYIJ0kj_SucKsi6vnb-PLwvetC22o3IZzhOqiJ6EGtLzUN-MQAdXFVY

If you don't want to click, apparently the Governor of Oregon is issuing stricter guidelines (including fines and jail) if you don't stay home.

Some people seem to have an issue with the term "Shelter-in-place", so they are calling it different things (in this case, Stay-at-home order).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1501 on: March 23, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »
Technically, shelter in place is used for like immediate deadly emergencies, like an active shooter. It's where you find whatever shelter is closest and barricade yourself in until given the all clear.

This, while quite similar, is still not that.

Not that it matters. What we call this shouldn't be too important, just what it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: March 23, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
@Jingle:  Not overly, no.  We don't know enough to be concerned, and health officials aren't saying anything that causes me to be concerned.  At least, not a about the virus--the behavior of many in reacting to the virus is a whole different story.  But, again, that does not excuse caution or diligence at all. 

Anyhow, back to my musings about the data, it will be interesting to see what this looks like once we begin approaching the typical numbers for other colds.  I saw a couple of sources saying that there are about 1 billion cases of colds every year in this country (although data is spotty due to lack of reporting).  When we get a true understanding and appreciation of the numbers from this particular one, we should be getting a handle on meaningful comparisons.

The numbers will be under reported

from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

March 20 (GMT)
Italy: in the city of Bergamo, there were 108 more deaths in the first 15 days of March this year compared to 2019 (164 deaths in 2020 vs. 56 deaths in 2019) according to the mayor of the city Giorgio Gori. During this period, 31 deaths were attributed to the coronavirus (less than 30% of the additional deaths this year)

"There are significant numbers of people who have died but whose death hasn't been attributed to the coronavirus because they died at home or in a nursing home and so they weren't swabbed," said the mayor [source]
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1503 on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:43 PM »
Stay positive brother... Jessica and I will be praying for you.  When this is over, cigars and whiskey will come your way.  :metal 
Thanks pal, I appreciate it.  But believe you me, cigars and whiskey will help me through all of this lol

I'm not worried, mostly because there is nothing yet to worry about.  My wife is worried enough for the both of us.

Lol I think everyone missed this Hef.

Vtgrad says, “whiskey and cigars on way when all is over.”
Hef says, “now is better, please and thx”.  :lol

All hands on deck!  Stogies and Mash for Hef, Stat!
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1504 on: March 23, 2020, 01:30:03 PM »
The numbers will be under reported

Oh, I know.  That's kinda my point.