Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 440201 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1435 on: March 22, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
5500 confirmed new cases in Italy, which is about 1000 less than yesterday. We're getting close to the 2 week mark since the curfew measures started, let's hope the curve starts to flatten quickly now.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1436 on: March 22, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »

I saw your longer post.  Tough spot to be in pal, but the right thing to do.  Hope all the Shmev's are coping well.

Thanks!  It's tough being confined like this, but it is what it is.  It's unfathomable to think about what many are dealing with right now, often under worse conditions. :(

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1437 on: March 22, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »

I saw your longer post.  Tough spot to be in pal, but the right thing to do.  Hope all the Shmev's are coping well.

Thanks!  It's tough being confined like this, but it is what it is.  It's unfathomable to think about what many are dealing with right now, often under worse conditions. :(

I also saw it and just want to give you my condolences. Try to stay optimistic, dude. :hug:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1438 on: March 22, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »

I also saw it and just want to give you my condolences. Try to stay optimistic, dude. :hug:

Thanks!

Optimism is the key, but it is tough.  Deep down, I honestly feel that we are all going to get this at some point and just pray that everyone I know survives, but I am keeping that mostly to myself as I don't want to walk around being Mr. Negativity.  I am still acting like Mr. Carefree.  :lol :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1439 on: March 22, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
I understand NY is testing a lot more than other states but the numbers are scary, we went from a 300 last Sunday to 22,000+ today. There was a live conference earlier that just annoyed me. Cuomo is a very smart person but I don’t think he’s handling this very well.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: March 22, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
I understand NY is testing a lot more than other states but the numbers are scary, we went from a 300 last Sunday to 22,000+ today. There was a live conference earlier that just annoyed me. Cuomo is a very smart person but I don’t think he’s handling this very well.

I haven't seen everything he's been saying, but when I've watched him, I thought he sounded smart about it all and honest.  While he's attacking the federal government a lot on this, I'm feeling he's got a point.  I've also been thinking the NJ governor has been handling things about as well as you can expect.  Like I'm not sure what else they can do here.  I started following him on twitter.

Governor Phil Murphy
@GovMurphy
UPDATE: We’ve received 590 new positive #COVID19 test results since yesterday, bringing our total to 1,914.

Sadly, we’re learned of 4 additional deaths, bringing our total to 20. These families are in our prayers.

2:10 PM · Mar 22, 2020

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: March 22, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
I don't live in NY but I've heard Cuomo speak a lot and he sounded straight-up presidential about it when he was holding pressers about it last week. That's what a leader should sound like imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1442 on: March 22, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
Perhaps it belongs in the political thread of this, but Rand Paul was just confirmed as infected.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: March 22, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Perhaps it belongs in the political thread of this, but Rand Paul was just confirmed as infected.

I believe it's being discussed there too, actually. Ron Paul should feel ashamed, but he probably doesn't (he claimed the coronavirus is a hoax).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: March 22, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »

I believe it's being discussed there too, actually. Ron Paul should feel ashamed, but he probably doesn't (he claimed the coronavirus is a hoax).

I still have to get caught up in that thread. I’ve had a tab open with it for a couple of days.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: March 22, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
We had a tee time scheduled for this afternoon. The sun is out, the weather is warm, very little wind. Ideal, really. I just called and cancelled...drat!  :sad:

I guess I'll go walk the dog for awhile.

My dog has been getting an insane number of walks since I've been home. He is oging to wonder what the hell is going on when everyone goes back to work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: March 22, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »
Things ramping up here in Australia.  I've been pretty casual about this whole thing but I guess the proof is there in the number of cases escalating.  Prime Minister enforcing closures of entertainment venues, clubs, indoor centres etc.  Basically all non essential services.  Going to be a long few months it seems.

This all seems to be people not following social distancing rules.  I haven't been following this thread, but has lockdown, isolation and social distancing on a whole seem to have helped in any areas?  Seems like the whole word just simply don't know how to combat this, or they simply can't.

Nobody will know how much these measures will work for at least 2 weeks post enacting them.
- incubation/infection period is 2-14 days, with a seemingly good rule of thumb 7-10 days seems to be the point where people are symptomatic.
- given limited testing (at least here in the west), it can take a couple of days to get tested... or get sick enough to warrant a test.
- in Canada, the turnaround time is currently 4 days for results.
- so, once a case has been confirmed, it can be over 2 weeks since the person contracted it - and been infecting others.
- with a transmission rate of somewhere between 2-3, it spreads rapidly.

Australia's cases are at 1286 at the moment... most experts suggest that confirmed cases are in the range of 10% of actual cases.

Seriously Kade ... stay home except for essential reasons.  If your rec centre isn't closed yet, start bitching that it should be.  Seriously.  I'm serious as a heart attack.

The two Italian members here (MirrorMask and Indiscipline) were warning us all to "lock the effff down!" what, a week ago?  10 days ago?  Now we are (or at least, should be).  The longer countries/regions take to enact measures, the higher the price/toll will be later.  It's only a matter of time before governments and the general public realize the path to a staggering number of deaths is right in front of us.  Daily case increases in affected areas is for the most part between 20%-30% - Australia had just around 20% today.

Prime Minister has enforced they will all close at midday today. (Monday)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: March 22, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
This all seems to be people not following social distancing rules.
Bondi beach was closed the other day because too many people were going there, and even after that, they kept going. Absolute fuckwits.

Also schools still haven't been closed here yet, which is baffling.

I think the pressure will change that very soon.  Everything getting closed today at midday is going to be surreal.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: March 22, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
Made the dumb decision to hit the hardware store, wanting a couple items to enable me to work on some home projects in anticipation of being hunkered down for a while. Apparently the rest of the town had the same idea.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1449 on: March 22, 2020, 04:23:39 PM »
We had a tee time scheduled for this afternoon. The sun is out, the weather is warm, very little wind. Ideal, really. I just called and cancelled...drat!  :sad:

I guess I'll go walk the dog for awhile.

My dog has been getting an insane number of walks since I've been home. He is oging to wonder what the hell is going on when everyone goes back to work.

The dogs all over are benefiting greatly from this.

Made the dumb decision to hit the hardware store, wanting a couple items to enable me to work on some home projects in anticipation of being hunkered down for a while. Apparently the rest of the town had the same idea.

Yeah, I had to hit Home Depot yesterday to get stuff for my move next week, just a shit show man.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1450 on: March 22, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »
Delaware's Governor has issued the "stay at home" order, so its only a matter of time before PA does. Hopefully it helps things

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: March 22, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »
I will practice 'abstinence' regarding any comments to the following....

https://religionnews.com/2020/03/21/catholic-cardinal-burke-says-faithful-should-attend-mass-despite-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0pdCJpa_4Z4qMyl-g_jdMUvPD_K1nDhesx3d-k_8OPrEcZXcyl-I9DpWc

EDIT:  Expecting (hoping) Maryland will lockdown tomorrow.  Announcement at 11am.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:00:13 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1452 on: March 22, 2020, 04:32:52 PM »
From Testament’s official Facebook page. Chuck Billy and his wife have both tested positive.

:sad:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: March 22, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »

Yeah, I had to hit Home Depot yesterday to get stuff for my move next week, just a shit show man.

Was thinking about heading there myself, but was thinking it's better to find an off time during the week.  Weekend afternoon would be crazy busy, but maybe 11:30am Monday will be quieter.  I need some cleaning supplies (swiffer, car interior (since my tire change in the mud incident), dishwasher detergent) are running low and you can't even get them on amazon now.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1454 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »
I will practice 'abstinence' regarding any comments to the following....

https://religionnews.com/2020/03/21/catholic-cardinal-burke-says-faithful-should-attend-mass-despite-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0pdCJpa_4Z4qMyl-g_jdMUvPD_K1nDhesx3d-k_8OPrEcZXcyl-I9DpWc

Funny thing.  My pastor, last week, stated that going to church is optional and then, a few days later, the Diocese of Orange gave the ok to forgo any masses in all of the churches there until further notice.

https://www.rcbo.org/diocese-of-orange-masses-to-be-cancelled-but-doors-remain-open-for-individual-visitation/

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1455 on: March 22, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
My daughter was notified that one of her teachers tested positive. They haven't been in school since last Thursday, for what that's worth. Her classmate (with same teacher) was really sick last weekend with a high fever but is better now. A 72 year old man in our town just died from virus this morning. Despite me and the girls distancing ourselves for a week and our best efforts at heeding all advice and warnings we might be next in line......

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1456 on: March 22, 2020, 08:00:33 PM »
From Testament’s official Facebook page. Chuck Billy and his wife have both tested positive.

:sad:

Just saw that. Testament, Exodus and Death Angel just got back from a European tour. Gary Holt has been pretty sick and thinks he may have it. I saw recently that Death Angel's drummer is in critical condition in the ICU. Seems that whole tour got walloped.

EDIT: Here's a link. The bands and crew all got hit hard.

https://metalinjection.net/news/death-angel-drummer-will-carroll-hospitalized-in-icu-needs-some-massive-positive-vibes
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: March 23, 2020, 01:58:48 AM »
The effects of social distancing:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: March 23, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
Elderly people (over 65) and people with chronic diseases like diabetes or asthma have to self-isolate from March 26th to April 14th here in Moscow. That includes my mom, so I'm curious if she'll be on paid sick leave, PTO or won't be paid. The city will pay each person a whopping $50 so there's that :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: March 23, 2020, 05:27:25 AM »
Yeah was a crazy day here.  Standing down all my casual staff was damn tough.

My view is now, if we can do what we need to do now, we'll get back to normal quicker.  We just have to do it.  I don't go out anyway so not a big deal, but everyone should just heed the call.  We have no recreation, gyms, restaurants anything so a hell of a lot has been taken out of our hands.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1460 on: March 23, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
We run an in-home dog sitting/daycare business. We've lost about $1000 this month in cancelled bookings and as of right now have nothing booked at all going forward (we normally have $1500-2000 booked for the coming month or two). Thankfully for us this is above and beyond fun money and not something we need to survive, but it still stings. I'd rather not have people coming and going from our house right now anyway, so I know it's for the best (though it's easy to hand thing off without actual contact). But I would have loved the extra money to throw into the stock market right now! Or to beef up our emergency fund or donate to some of our favorite charities that are hurting along with everyone else right now.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1461 on: March 23, 2020, 07:34:26 AM »
I don't live in NY but I've heard Cuomo speak a lot and he sounded straight-up presidential about it when he was holding pressers about it last week. That's what a leader should sound like imo.

Step back, bitch.  He's mine! 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1462 on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
So, I did go to the Home Depot yesterday - three times in fact, and twice the day before.   Business as usual.  Three of the five times were exchanges/returns, and I stood in line all three times.   There were a LOT of people out (and, anecdotally, a LOT of paint being sold).  Then you add all the walkers and joggers.  You can tell the people who are going stir-crazy; they look like ducks.  Momma duck, daddy duck, and three or four ducklings all walking behind in a vague semblance of order.   The walkers were so crowded I saw people stepping off the sidewalk to let others pass.   

I'll probably keep my own counsel having been burned in the Neal Peart thread, but I'll just make the observation that "not every job can be done from the house".   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:05 AM »
Not to fear-monger or anything... but some, shall I say, perspective.  Looking to the worldometer tracker (in the OP).  Let's disregard China for a moment, because I'm not sure how anyone can believe their recent stats.  Supposedly in the last month they've only gone from 77k(ish) cases to 81k(ish).  If we normalize for them, then there are 276k reported/confirmed cases.  Here's the alarming part... the doubling period is only 5 days. 

276k / 2 = 138k
Normalize for China (in reverse - ie, when were we at 138k cases without China)... Worldometer puts the count at 215k cases (inclusive of China) on March 18th - just 5 days ago.  There could be a million worldwide cases before the end of the month... at best, within the first week of April.  And if the trend continues... 10M worldwide cases less than 3 weeks later.

Fuck me.  Actually, fuck us all.

Seriously ... everyone that can - STAY THE FUCK HOME except for truly essential reasons - and doing home reno's while under isolation ain't essential.  I'm sorry, but everyone rushing out to Walmart and Home Depot ... how is that any different than the spring breakers in Clearwater?

Those of you in densely populated areas, I feel for you.  I'm not a praying kinda guy, but I am "praying" in my own way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: March 23, 2020, 08:43:37 AM »
Seriously ... everyone that can - STAY THE FUCK HOME except for truly essential reasons - and doing home reno's while under isolation ain't essential.  I'm sorry, but everyone rushing out to Walmart and Home Depot ... how is that any different than the spring breakers in Clearwater?

Wish I could. Can't. If I miss a single paycheck I am fucked. I have no choice.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: March 23, 2020, 08:45:25 AM »

Wish I could. Can't. If I miss a single paycheck I am fucked. I have no choice.

That's completely fair... and for many like you, WORK is essential.  I'm totally cool with that.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1466 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »

Those of you in densely populated areas, I feel for you.  I'm not a praying kinda guy, but I am "praying" in my own way.

I work for a social service non-profit, so we are considered essential. Even though I don't interact directly with our clients, as long as the building is open I have to be here (I'm the operations/building manager). I got off the bus this morning because of how packed it was and ended up walking (about a 40 min walk).

But your statement points to my frustration with the "shutdown" here in NY. There are mixed messages being thrown out there by our leaders.

People are being told to stay at home, but at the same time they're being told it's ok to go to the park, take your kids to the playground, go play some basketball  or exercise as long as you keep your distance (Not happening in NY).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1467 on: March 23, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
In Italy we tried that for a while and eventually all parks are being closed down and sports activity is being suggested close to home. Just like strolling your dog which was an excuse to tour the entire town, it's been suggested to stay within 200 m from home.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1468 on: March 23, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
In Italy we tried that for a while and eventually all parks are being closed down and sports activity is being suggested close to home. Just like strolling your dog which was an excuse to tour the entire town, it's been suggested to stay within 200 m from home.
I can see for high population density areas, even going for a walk can be an issue. For those of us in a suburban area, I really hope it never comes to banning that. I could walk for 30 minutes and maybe pass 2 people in my neighborhood. I can see keeping kids off of playground equipment though. But we are going to be very dependent on getting out for walks to keep us and the kids from going crazy in the house.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1469 on: March 23, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »
Ominous and intense are the words of the day at my hospital.