Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 194848 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #980 on: February 28, 2019, 02:40:04 AM »
I wouldn't tell him anything really. He does what he is supposed to do and he does it well. I don't have a problem with him singing ballads. (he isn't Steve Perry thank goodness.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #981 on: February 28, 2019, 03:07:08 AM »
The album's mastering is pretty hot and therefore a bit tiring after a few tracks...

I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #982 on: February 28, 2019, 03:11:19 AM »
I would agree that LaBrie shines on ballads and soft moments these days.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #983 on: February 28, 2019, 05:57:16 AM »
but the cheesy vocals render it unlistenable (someone needs to tell LaBrie to stop singing ballads)

I'm curious, if you don't mind elaborating, what do you mean by cheesy? I think he's too airy/breathy on the softer parts sometimes but other than that I don't see anything wrong here. Except maybe those strained high vocals in Viper King.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #984 on: February 28, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »
I don't like his singing in ballads for exactly what Kat said.  Those airy/breathy moments.  Otherwise it's all good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: February 28, 2019, 07:11:32 AM »
I think someone needs to tell JLB to sing on more music like The Astonishing... cause that is where he is really shining  ;)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #986 on: February 28, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »
I think someone needs to tell JLB to sing on more music like The Astonishing... cause that is where he is really shining  ;)
I think someone needs to tell JLB to stay in Dream Theater...that's where he shines!  ;)

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline deslock

« Reply #987 on: February 28, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
but the cheesy vocals render it unlistenable (someone needs to tell LaBrie to stop singing ballads)

I'm curious, if you don't mind elaborating, what do you mean by cheesy? I think he's too airy/breathy on the softer parts sometimes but other than that I don't see anything wrong here. Except maybe those strained high vocals in Viper King.
I mean no disrespect to LeBrie, who is a fantastic singer (lots of range, power, and style). I just don't care for breathy or overly emotional vocals, at least not in prog metal. It just feels awkward.

Some other recent DT tracks I skip:
  • Most of The Astonishing
  • The Bigger Picture
  • Along for the Ride
  • This Is the Life
  • Far from Heaven
  • Beneath the Surface
It's not a new development. I've been skipping these since I bought Images and Words in 1992:
  • Another Day
  • Surrounded
  • Wait for Sleep (though once in a while I'll play this as it is a beautiful song... but there are many piano-only covers that I prefer)
I have the same opinion of Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson: most of their recent albums have had ballads (or pseudo ballads) that I find skippable, at least partly because of vocals:
  • Tears of a Clown
  • Coming Home
  • Out of the Shadows
  • The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
That last one is a really cool song for the most part, but When Dickinson sings "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" at 6 minutes in and again near the end, I cringe... it's not that he sings poorly, but I find it over the top.

Many Maiden/Dickinson fans adore those songs, especially Coming Home. To me it sounds terrible.

Just so I'm not accused of singling out the singers, sometimes it's that the guitars feel cheesy.

And it's not that I dislike all slow songs by prog/metal bands... in the case of Maiden, Journeyman works quite well. So does Infinite Dreams. Metallic's Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, and Until It Sleeps are great tunes.

Just my opinion. To each his own.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #988 on: February 28, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
Man, you must really hate ballads!,  You metal purist you!  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #989 on: February 28, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »
I was thinking about what makes d/t special and unique in the band's catalog and two words came to mind to define the album: riffy and groovy.

I believe no other album they made is so riff driven and has so many cool grooves as this one. I totally dig it  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #990 on: February 28, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
I was thinking about what makes d/t special and unique in the band's catalog and two words came to mind to define the album: riffy and groovy.

I believe no other album they made is so riff driven and has so many cool grooves as this one. I totally dig it  :metal

Awake is close in some way, but I agree.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline smegolas

« Reply #991 on: February 28, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
I simply cannot get the end of Wits End out of my head.  What a delicious piece of ear candy.  Their best since Spirit Carries On. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: February 28, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »
I simply cannot get the end of Wits End out of my head.  What a delicious piece of ear candy.  Their best since Spirit Carries On.

When I turned my car on this morning it played right where I left off with the ending, what a great way to start my day.  Such a beautfiul part

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #993 on: February 28, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
I just want to say that this album rocks and feels like a return to the early days. Concise, heavy, groovy all at the same time.

Also S2N sounds like it could be straight out of Falling Into Infinity.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #994 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
Just wanted to share and add my little opinion and my one change to this album.
I'm actually pleased with the album, and I'm not a big fan of the post MP era, but I still get every album, maybe out of habit.  This may be the best post MP era.  It's fun (S2N and Viper King), it's small epic (PBD and At Wits End), and got Awake feel (Paralyzed), and I&W feel (Barstool Warrior).  It's those last two songs (Paralyzed and Barstool Warrior) that really sold me on the album.  Untethered Angel sounds like every other opening song DT has done post MP (Astonishing not included). 
Drums sound great.  I miss past JP playing style, but players/musicians change. 

I really found that changing the track order (I'm an old schooled album order based listener) a small bit helped me tremendously with the pacing.  Thank goodness for having that ability in the last 15 years.
So this is how I listen to the album.  It just works better for me.  Get rid of Out of Reach, and put the 2 small epics together.  The outro for At Wits End is much much better placed as an album closer.

1   "Untethered Angel"
2   "Paralyzed"
3   "Fall into the Light"
4   "Barstool Warrior"
5   "Room 137"
6   "S2N"
7   "Viper King"
8   "Pale Blue Dot"
9   "At Wit's End"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #995 on: February 28, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »

I mean no disrespect to LeBrie, who is a fantastic singer (lots of range, power, and style). I just don't care for breathy or overly emotional vocals, at least not in prog metal. It just feels awkward.

Some other recent DT tracks I skip:
  • Most of The Astonishing
  • The Bigger Picture
  • Along for the Ride
  • This Is the Life
  • Far from Heaven
  • Beneath the Surface
It's not a new development. I've been skipping these since I bought Images and Words in 1992:
  • Another Day
  • Surrounded
  • Wait for Sleep (though once in a while I'll play this as it is a beautiful song... but there are many piano-only covers that I prefer)
I have the same opinion of Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson: most of their recent albums have had ballads (or pseudo ballads) that I find skippable, at least partly because of vocals:
  • Tears of a Clown
  • Coming Home
  • Out of the Shadows
  • The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
That last one is a really cool song for the most part, but When Dickinson sings "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" at 6 minutes in and again near the end, I cringe... it's not that he sings poorly, but I find it over the top.

Many Maiden/Dickinson fans adore those songs, especially Coming Home. To me it sounds terrible.

Just so I'm not accused of singling out the singers, sometimes it's that the guitars feel cheesy.

And it's not that I dislike all slow songs by prog/metal bands... in the case of Maiden, Journeyman works quite well. So does Infinite Dreams. Metallic's Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, and Until It Sleeps are great tunes.

Just my opinion. To each his own.

What the heck did I just read?  :omg: :sadpanda:

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #996 on: February 28, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
I just want to say that this album rocks and feels like a return to the early days. Concise, heavy, groovy all at the same time.

Yes.  I know it's been said in the thread, but I'm really, really pleased with how restrained JP and JR are on this album.  I feel like it forced them to find the hooks and melodies in these songs, and it's paid off in such a huge way.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #997 on: February 28, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
Hi all, I'm an occasional visitor here and just wanted to say DOT gets the thumbs up from me. I had been really struggling with it but now the penny has dropped - long live DT  ;D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #998 on: February 28, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »

Also S2N sounds like it could be straight out of Falling Into Infinity.

Thank you, I thought I was crazy for thinking that. Btw, S2N rocks! :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline T-ski

« Reply #999 on: February 28, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
Second listen of the album today was much more pleasing than the first. I still don’t hear a great Dream Theater song on the album, but I don’t think there are any clunkers.

Anyone have a thought on the second outro on “At Wits End”?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1000 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
Finally listened to the album (I feel bad for my girlfriend who just wanted to hang out and instead was forced to sit in silence :lol :lol)

Untethered Angel: The outro is still perfection. That is all
Paralyzed: Didn't like it as a single, but in the album it kills. It's fantastic
Fall Into the Light: That Bridge...delicious
Barstool Warrior: 30 seconds in I turned to my girl and told her it was perfect. 10 listens later it still is
Room 137: This was the only song that didn't grip me at first, but I've listened a few more times and it's growing on me
S2N: Nice and groovy. Really like the verses
At Wit's End: That outro...that moment is the highlight of the entire album. Nothing tops it. So emotional and just perfect. The easter egg part is nice but too short.
Out of Reach: It's decent. I liked it but it's overshadowed
Pale Blue Dot: I need a few more listens to grasp it, but I enjoyed it while listening
Viper King: DRIVE ONNNN. But seriously, it's just fun

Offline RAIN

« Reply #1001 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »

Yup.  It's way to long of a pause between the fade out and this outro.  Easy fix in music editing software.  I just spliced the two to fade together and now it's a perfect album closer.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #1002 on: February 28, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
Btw, the beginning of Barstool Warrior sounds familiar...could it be the beginning of The Best of Times I'm thinking of?

It always makes me think of the beginning of New Millennium particularly when the synth comes in. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1003 on: February 28, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »

Yeah, you are right.  The riffs and groove really drive the album.  But at the same time, the album is so tight.  I mean, DT has always been a pretty tight band.  They have to be to do what they do and do it so well.  But everything that is going on in these songs is so tightly locked in on the guitar riffs and the groove that it all just really, really works well.  To give an example, I had mentioned early on that PBD is very deceptive because the guitar riffs are so upfront and in your face.  But the more I listened to it, the more I felt like it was actually the keyboards that were driving the song, and everything is really locked in on what Jordan is doing.  I'm probably not explaining it well, but I find it to be really cool.

Get rid of Out of Reach, and put the 2 small epics together.  The outro for At Wits End is much much better placed as an album closer.

Good post, but I am disagreeing with the part I quoted.  Out of Reach is terrific.  And that twist in the lyrics...  :omg: 

And I get what people have said about AWE closing the album.  But I think it's just fine where it is, and I like PBD being the closer (with Viper King being that optional "post credits bonus"). 

Well, yeah, lots of thoughts.  It's been discussed quite a bit.  But what specifically are you getting at?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Sorely disappointed today to find out that the lyric in Paralyzed says "silent as the dead", not "silent oxygen" heh
I've been singing along as silent oxygen, thought it was such a cool line. Granted it doesn't make sense but I've been listening to quiet a bit of avant-garde rock recently, where lyrics don't have to make sense at all :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Art

« Reply #1005 on: February 28, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
S2N keeps getting better. Love it! :heart

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1006 on: February 28, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »

Well, yeah, lots of thoughts.  It's been discussed quite a bit.  But what specifically are you getting at?

Haven’t been able to read through this whole thread so forgive me if it has been discussed already, but it feels it loses effect with the long dead air.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2019, 01:00:04 PM »
Can I say just how incredible it feels to LOVE a Dream Theater album again. It has been a long, long time. And I know a lot of Long Islanders who are DT fans say this, but while the band has become more geographically-diverse over its career, there's something about having your hometown boys putting out something that you really FEEL, that is the best feeling in the world. I've never met them, but I have friends who either know them well, or see them all the time. Hell, John lives where I grew up.  :lol And there's this feeling of pride. That's how I feel with Distance Over Time. After not really feeling a lot of what Dream Theater has done post-SFAM, to get DoT NOW, after me really just letting them go for the most part, is incredible.

Even though JLB had a tough night, I took my family to Oakland on the I&W anniversary tour. And I said that it would likely be the last time I saw Dream Theater live. And I was really bummed about it. It seemed fitting that the song (ACOS) and album that really started it all for me was what I was ending on. Fast forward, and boom. New life.

Thanks Dream Theater. Especially after a tough start to 2019, I really needed this one. See ya next month.  :tup
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1008 on: February 28, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

Haven’t been able to read through this whole thread so forgive me if it has been discussed already, but it feels it loses effect with the long dead air.

There's a separate thread here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53473.0 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1009 on: February 28, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
I’m going to stick my neck out and give Out Of Reach an honourable mention. It’s not getting too much love, but I like it. It’s the song that most reminds me of old school DT. It has a real Lifting Shadows vibe.

I think it serves its purpose as a breather song before PBD well. If I was to give one criticism of it, I think the chorus could be a little stronger, but it’s fine as it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1010 on: February 28, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
^and the vocals are pretty stellar too.  I know there is a camp out there that just has their mind switch off when they hear James do soft, breathy vocals.  But even if you don't like that, his soaring vocals on the chorus are REALLY nice, especially the way they build.  I know one fan in particular who felt that that has been an element missing from their recent output.

On a completely different note, I had forgotten about this thread:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53037.0  :lol  Keep in mind that this was before Room 137 had been released as a title (I knew about it, but most did not).

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1011 on: February 28, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »
Out of reach is gorgeous... that guitar part at the beginning could be straight from SFAM IMO.   I absolutely love it.    I also think Labrie's vocals are excellent and remind me of his work on FII.

Also.... I think my favorite part of the album may be on "AWE" on the part right after the chorus and right before the sleepless words for wear part.    Amazing riff and Labrie slays it.   Big SDOIT vibe there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: February 28, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
I think one review called the song the obligatory ballad or something similar and it does kind of come off as that on such a heavy album, but I think it's a nice song and I love it's placement.  It works really well after At Wits End.  Its a solid DT ballad song, maybe even in their upper half of DT ballads.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1013 on: February 28, 2019, 01:30:19 PM »
Confession time: I had to look up the word maculate (from AWE) in the dictionary..

I’d never heard that word in my life!! Every day’s a school day.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1014 on: February 28, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
Understandable.  It is far less commonly used than it's antonym, immaculate.