Author Topic: Who here loves Endless Sacrifice?  (Read 17869 times)

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Who here loves Endless Sacrifice?
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »
It's one of the most technical and awesome instrumental sections ever...it kind of makes the whole song do the great song it actually is, it's a verry good song. that's it, end of story

Offline icon_bleed

• a song ago
  • the sky, the sea and stup me
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
in the lyrics content... this song is dedicated to my ex-fiance.. even we have each other's life.. we still reach out each other...
a plumber always sees a reject outfall come out to the sea....

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
I've always liked it, but I can see how some people might think it's a little too long.

I think this is the general reason why it's not so accepted. I think we can all admit that it has a badass chorus. The instrumental section just seems a little too long and unnecessary to me.

Yes, except for the nu-metal squeals.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2021, 06:10:16 AM »
New release coming so ofc it's time to listen to all albums one by one. Currently at ToT which is the album that got me into DT but also an album I haven't listened to for a long time now.

Endless Sacrifice is more and more a standout track on ToT for me. Love the beautiful melodies and then strong powerful chorus. Also a needed break after the wonderful madness just before it. The instrumental part is a bit over the top and my only complaint, but I have learnt to love it for what it is. However the climax at the end is fantastic.

"All you've forsaken
And all that you've done
So that I could live out
This undying dream

Won't be forgotten
Or taken for granted
I'll always remember
Your endless sacrifice"

Love this part. The simplicity and directness of the lyrics makes it really powerful and emotional.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
I love it too.

Train Of Thought was the album that got me into Dream Theater and I used to listen to that album every day in 2012 when I would go for my free swim at the pool.

My memory of that album is the enormous Leisure Centre and everything smelling of chlorine  :biggrin:

Offline LKap13

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
Endless sacrifice is amazing. One of the most melodic dt songs and with a monster of an instrumental section

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »

Endless Sacrifice is more and more a standout track on ToT for me. Love the beautiful melodies and then strong powerful chorus.

"All you've forsaken
And all that you've done
So that I could live out
This undying dream

Won't be forgotten
Or taken for granted
I'll always remember
Your endless sacrifice"

Love this part. The simplicity and directness of the lyrics makes it really powerful and emotional.

Totally. Endless Sacrifice is easily a Top 20 track, likely Top 15.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »
Endless sacrifice is amazing. One of the most melodic dt songs and with a monster of an instrumental section

I'm gonna have to check but there's two songs on Train of Thought where the instrumental section begins at the exact same time.

it might be Endless Sacrifice and Honor Thy Father...

...yep. both begin at almost exactly 5:00

Offline LKap13

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »
Well it's almost 5:00 here so I'd better get to it :D

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »
Train of Thought was my first DT album. I was 15 at the time, and "Endless Sacrifice" stood out to me. There's a certain dark element in the piano, guitar and vocal during the verses, which spoke to me at the time. And, of course, the crazy piano bit in the instrumental section!

Now that I think about it, the acoustic arpeggios in the verses was the first DT guitar parts I learned to play. It was the first time I had to tune my instrument that low.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
I think it's a cool tune with cool riffs. A little bloated like a lot of the ToT-BCSL period, but I'll throw it on every now and then.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
I always thought the instrumentation in the song matches the sentiment of the lyrics so well. It's one I don't revisit often but when I do I always enjoy it.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »
I always thought the instrumentation in the song matches the sentiment of the lyrics so well. It's one I don't revisit often but when I do I always enjoy it.

Yes - this is accurate. DT have been getting better and better at this too. My favorite recent example of matching the music to the lyrics is Pale Blue Dot.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2021, 06:24:45 PM »

Yes - this is accurate. DT have been getting better and better at this too. My favorite recent example of matching the music to the lyrics is Pale Blue Dot.

Glad I'm not the only one! I get a sense of conflict, frustration, anger, hope and gratefulness at different stages of the song. For the record, This was my first DT album back when I didn't even speak the language so when I finally understood the lyrics I was even more impressed.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
With respect to Jordan, I think this would be a great song if 5:18 - 6:33 were cut.

Tonally, most of the song is dark and monotone. But then the circusy section has all these different sonic colors and the note/patch choices and weirdly kind of playful. The problem compounds when you get to the keyboard/guitar solo tradeoff. The solos are compositionally solid, play to the tortured tone of the song, and don't overstay their welcome. But having those solos *after* the wild keyboard section is too much.

Shame. 7:47 - 10:09 is one of my favorite sequences in any Dream Theater song. Everything is so high energy and emotional.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
7:47 - 10:09 is one of my favorite sequences in any Dream Theater song.

Yes! I do not even need to listen to the song to pinpoint this timestamp, I know exactly what you are referring to and I feel the same.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2021, 01:59:48 AM »
I like it yeah !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2021, 07:13:01 AM »
2nd best on ToT after ITNoG.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2021, 10:17:12 PM »
Gave this song a good listen today at work, been ages since I listened to anything from ToT. Still loved it as much as I ever did. I remember buying the album after seeing it in the record store. I knew nothing about it going in, but had heard As I am on the radio once. So that song wasn't a total surprise, but neither that now This Dying Soul didn't knock my socks off. Then Endless Sacrifice came on and all was well in my DT world. I know it is all subjective and I don't like to question another's taste in music, but I don't get how people do not like the instrumental section of this song yet gush over ItNoG, which to my ears has much more egregious noodling.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pettor

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2021, 01:37:38 AM »
I LOVE the noodling in ToT 😁 For me it's insane that people find ToT disappointing. Endless Sacrifice has a perfectly headbangable instrumental sections that just goes straight into a superb climax. Who doesn't want that from a song?

Same for ITNOG. The song is just masterpiece to me but the noodling part is getting a lot of bashing. I see how it can be notes by numbers but it's still one seriously crazy section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5qR7zKK3c

I don't believe people who say they dislike this. However, I believe people think progressive must be smarter than this and isn't allowed to just be pure fun and that's why people hate ToT 😁 And BTW, if you don't go straight into headbanging mode at 2:30 you are souless. Period.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2021, 07:05:28 AM »
I don't believe people who say they dislike this.
Why in the world not?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2021, 07:11:46 AM »
I don't believe people who say they dislike this.
Why in the world not?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
7:47 - 10:09 is one of my favorite sequences in any Dream Theater song.

Yes! I do not even need to listen to the song to pinpoint this timestamp, I know exactly what you are referring to and I feel the same.
The part that includes the Hallowed Be Thy Name inspired section, right?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.