Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189468 times)

Offline erciccio

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1085 on: March 02, 2019, 10:40:16 AM »
#4 in Italy just behind 3 Italian pop singers (just because we recently had the Italian pop music festival)

https://www.fimi.it/top-of-the-music/classifiche.kl#/
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1086 on: March 02, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
#4 in Italy just behind 3 Italian pop singers (just because we recently had the Italian pop music festival)

https://www.fimi.it/top-of-the-music/classifiche.kl#/

:metal
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1087 on: March 02, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
I don’t see them anywhere on Billboard.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #1088 on: March 02, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
I agree that VK is fun and I like it but I'd like to know what is Viper King

It's a Dodge Viper - one of those stupid American muscle cars they seem to like over there that can't go round corners and is outclassed in every respect by most common European road cars. Honestly, my Ford Fiesta is better than one of those things.

Cant go around corners? Look at number 10 and, 16 respectively. Then look at all the cars under those two. Yeah Viper is a straight line kind of car.  :facepalm:

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1089 on: March 02, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »
It's a Dodge Viper - one of those stupid American muscle cars they seem to like over there that can't go round corners and is outclassed in every respect by most common European road cars. Honestly, my Ford Fiesta is better than one of those things.

Seems totally reasonable.

Yea quite an exaggeration to say the least

:lol yea my civic too is a better car than a viper....

Yea, the Viper is not that great of a sports car but it works better in the lyrics.  Singing "My MP4-12C King" just doesn't flow.  Also, the car just looks cool.

What about "My koenigsegg king"?
:tup

Viper King reminds me of the "bonus track" off Face the Heat by the Scorpions, same sort of vibe and also out of the bands typical element.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1090 on: March 02, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
Now that I’ve listened to the album in full a few times, I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it, track by track.
~snip~
Great post!  I had pretty much all the same thoughts. 

Only two things, I had difficulty finding any of the 3 singles to be weak - they're all sooo good.  The other thing is that I think 137 is fantastic!

I did find the lyric "maculate" to be interesting.  I actually had to look it up.  Still feels a bit funny singing along to it  :biggrin:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: March 02, 2019, 07:10:30 PM »
I agree that VK is fun and I like it but I'd like to know what is Viper King

Cant go around corners? Look at number 10 and, 16 respectively. Then look at all the cars under those two. Yeah Viper is a straight line kind of car.  :facepalm:

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

I think you missed the memo, 170 corners is pretty much a straight line :lol

Offline brents319

« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
My feelings in order of love to love a little less.... ;D

Room 137   :metal
Fall into the Light
Untethered Angel
Paralyzed
Viper King
Pale Blue Dot
At Wit's End
S2N
Barstool Warrior
Out of Reach

On a strange note....I find Viper King to be one of the catchiest songs DT has ever put out.  It still has the patented DT never gonna get radio play feel...but, catchy.

*I reserve the right to change this every minute of every day from this day forward.  :biggrin:

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #1093 on: March 03, 2019, 05:00:45 AM »
Loving the new album - JP & MM is kickass; JR is great "restrained"; and JM's bass is just sexy! 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1094 on: March 03, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
Am I the only one that feels that time flies while listening to the new album? I mean, ok, it's actually short but Train of Thought was only 9 minutes longer... it's just that the song not only are concise enough, but also they don't wander off the rails and they always keep it focused so by the time I'm listening to the final parts of S2N, I'm like "wow, we're already near the two epics of the album". This album flows away quite nicely and there's no fatigue and no "obstacle" to pass through (an ugly song, a pointless and prolonged solo section, stuff like that... nothing of the sorts on this album).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1097 on: March 03, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I'm still waiting for my artbook, but I've listened to the album a bunch over the last week and I love it.  I've just read the first few pages of this thread but it seems to be getting a positive reception, which is awesome.

At Wit's End is my favorite.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1098 on: March 03, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
I'm still waiting for my artbook, but I've listened to the album a bunch over the last week and I love it.  I've just read the first few pages of this thread but it seems to be getting a positive reception, which is awesome.

At Wit's End is my favorite.

It's mine too, but the album as a whole is killer!

B.Lee

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1099 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
Mine too. A definite top 5 DT song for me.

The part leading into the outro solo still hits me, even after a week of constant listening.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1100 on: March 03, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
Now I’m curious, what’s the twist in Out Of Reach? What am I missing?

Yeah, I'm also missing that twist, I think somebody hinted at ghosts or something like that some pages ago. I've read the lyrics and I don't find the twist.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1101 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
Now I’m curious, what’s the twist in Out Of Reach? What am I missing?

Yeah, I'm also missing that twist, I think somebody hinted at ghosts or something like that some pages ago. I've read the lyrics and I don't find the twist.
This might be unrelated to the twist you guys are talking about, but JP used a baritone guitar on this song..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1102 on: March 03, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Am I the only one that feels that time flies while listening to the new album? I mean, ok, it's actually short but Train of Thought was only 9 minutes longer... it's just that the song not only are concise enough, but also they don't wander off the rails and they always keep it focused so by the time I'm listening to the final parts of S2N, I'm like "wow, we're already near the two epics of the album". This album flows away quite nicely and there's no fatigue and no "obstacle" to pass through (an ugly song, a pointless and prolonged solo section, stuff like that... nothing of the sorts on this album).

Yes, this was very evident when I was listening to it while doing work around the house.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1103 on: March 03, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »

Yes, this was very evident when I was listening to it while doing work around the house.

Yeah, the album flies by so quickly it's astonishing (hint intended). I've listened more than 15 times since last week and it seems I've had just a few listens. What a killer album!

B.Lee

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1104 on: March 03, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
I finally bought the album the other day and I'm loving it so far. I haven't been this excited about the band since the self titled album came out, which feels like ages ago. It's so much easier to digest and enjoy than The Astonishing for me (even though I did really enjoy some of TA, it does contain a top 10 DT song for me in Ravenskill).

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #1105 on: March 03, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
With the exception of Fall Into the Light, Room 137 and S2n, this album is awful. One of their absolute worst, for sure.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1106 on: March 03, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
With the exception of Fall Into the Light, Room 137 and S2n, this album is awful. One of their absolute worst, for sure.

That’s a level of stupid I’ve not heard in quite some time.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #1107 on: March 03, 2019, 05:16:26 PM »

Bite me. It’s called an opinion. Maybe you shouldn’t judge and insult others for having a different opinion than your own.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1108 on: March 03, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »

Bite me. It’s called an opinion. Maybe you shouldn’t judge and insult others for having a different opinion than your own.

Didn’t mean anything harsh by it. Just my way of saying I disagree.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #1109 on: March 03, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »

Yeah, well there’s a much better way of disagreeing, without being an asshole.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1110 on: March 03, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »

Speaking of assholes..
Can't we find the minds

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #1111 on: March 03, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »

Speaking of assholes..

Calling someone out for calling me stupid because I happen to not like the album makes me the asshole? Your logic seems off, but okay.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1112 on: March 03, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »
I apologize if what I said was taken the wrong way, meant that as a joke. I disagree with your statement.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1113 on: March 03, 2019, 05:39:08 PM »
Let me get this back on track....    THIS ALBUM ROCKS!   Just blasted it in my car and it's such a fun album.

Definitely the most playful and enjoyable album start-finish by DT in many many years.   

The only two songs I would even consider skipping are UA and R137 but I still think both are far from terrible.

Outside of those two though I am loving every track.   

It won't penetrate by big 4 (SFAM, I&W, SDOIT, Awake)  but I am quite certain it will land at #5.   

They did a great job of incorporating all styles in this album and Labrie is definitely unleashed now... finally!     The last three albums(especially TA and D/T but also DT) have been Labrie's best performances since SDOIT in my opinion.   Please continue to sing in this style James!      I love the full sounding over the top vocalist named James Labrie... I don't love the thin sinister James and I feel like he has finally shelved that and gone back to the over the top vocals.    Love it!!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1114 on: March 03, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
He didn’t call you stupid, just what you said is stupid. There’s a difference. Giving your opinion is one thing. But when you say that one of DT’s albums “a steaming pile of shit” and another “absolute garbage” than don’t act all offended when someone strongly disagrees with you.
Can't we find the minds

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1115 on: March 03, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a DT album since ADTOE, so this has been quite refreshing. Still not sure how I feel about all of it, but Pale Blue Dot is a fucking banger.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1116 on: March 03, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
 Just in case anyone is still interested, my order for the box set on Amazon just changed status from “pending“ to “arriving March 25th-April 12th”

Now....it sucks that I have to wait that long, but considering that it is sold out everywhere else, and I was beginning to fear I wouldn’t get one AT ALL, this new development gives me hope.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1117 on: March 03, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
Just in case anyone is still interested, my order for the box set on Amazon just changed status from “pending“ to “arriving March 25th-April 12th”

Now....it sucks that I have to wait that long, but considering that it is sold out everywhere else, and I was beginning to fear I wouldn’t get one AT ALL, this new development gives me hope.

That's one main reason why I always order from the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1118 on: March 03, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
I take it you like the heavier side of DT on the most part?

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1119 on: March 03, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »
He didn’t call you stupid, just what you said is stupid. There’s a difference. Giving your opinion is one thing. But when you say that one of DT’s albums “a steaming pile of shit” and another “absolute garbage” than don’t act all offended when someone strongly disagrees with you.

Absolutely THIS
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude