Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189427 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1120 on: March 03, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Just in case anyone is still interested, my order for the box set on Amazon just changed status from “pending“ to “arriving March 25th-April 12th”

Now....it sucks that I have to wait that long, but considering that it is sold out everywhere else, and I was beginning to fear I wouldn’t get one AT ALL, this new development gives me hope.

That's weird. Mine still says "Delivery Estimate: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 by 8pm". Hopefully I get shipping confirmation in the next two days from Amazon. If I do, I'll be sure to update here, but please let me know if you get any other updates, fellow Amazon Box-set pre-orderer! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #1121 on: March 03, 2019, 11:13:46 PM »
Am I the only one that feels that time flies while listening to the new album? I mean, ok, it's actually short but Train of Thought was only 9 minutes longer... it's just that the song not only are concise enough, but also they don't wander off the rails and they always keep it focused so by the time I'm listening to the final parts of S2N, I'm like "wow, we're already near the two epics of the album". This album flows away quite nicely and there's no fatigue and no "obstacle" to pass through (an ugly song, a pointless and prolonged solo section, stuff like that... nothing of the sorts on this album).

Yep. Mine is on repeat, and just about every single time I’m like “oh wow there’s Unthetered Angel again”. Album does go by fast. But even at just over an hour long, it’s still longer than most albums in the industry which are at about 40-45 minutes. So it might be DT’s shortest album, yes it is still longer than average.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1122 on: March 04, 2019, 12:11:28 AM »
I apologize if what I said was taken the wrong way, meant that as a joke. I disagree with your statement.

Now, ask Stewie when was the last time he liked a DT album.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #1123 on: March 04, 2019, 02:15:03 AM »
My artbook was supposedly shipped from Germany on the 18th and still hasn't arrived here and I'm starting to get really pissed off.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1124 on: March 04, 2019, 04:32:19 AM »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:15:51 AM by jayvee3 »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1125 on: March 04, 2019, 04:55:25 AM »
Distance Over Time entered at # 3 in the Dutch (Netherlands) album chart.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #1126 on: March 04, 2019, 05:01:39 AM »
Awesome! But what's up with Billboard, shouldn't the album enter it by now?

Offline ThisIsTheLife

« Reply #1127 on: March 04, 2019, 05:56:54 AM »
Has anyone heard/read an interview concerning what Paralyzed and Out Of Reach are about? Of course I have my own thoughts but I would be interested to know what they are meant to be about...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1128 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:13 AM »
Distance Over Time entered at # 3 in the Dutch (Netherlands) album chart.  :metal

Superb chart results as of now. Great!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: March 04, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »
Has anyone heard/read an interview concerning what Paralyzed and Out Of Reach are about? Of course I have my own thoughts but I would be interested to know what they are meant to be about...

This is something I posted before about "Out of Reach". Dont know how credible it is! Apparently the song is about a guy who meets a girl at a coffee shop.

"I wanted to write a song about how people are affected when they lose a loved one," LaBrie said in a Songfacts interview. "This guy notices an absolutely beautiful girl, and at first he thinks she has it all going for her: she's beautiful, well-dressed, seems to be financially stable. But as he sees her from day to day, sitting at her table, he realizes there is a sadness to her. So, the lyric is about him trying to communicate to her to rediscover love, because he sees that something is seriously missing in her life due to a loss."
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline rab7

« Reply #1130 on: March 04, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
I put on Pale Blue Dot while taking my son to school this morning.

He didn't say anything during the keyboard intro, but once the drums kicked in he asked, "Dad, is this the Monster Mash?"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #1132 on: March 04, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
Awesome! But what's up with Billboard, shouldn't the album enter it by now?

I believe the Billboard 200 charts are updated on Saturday, but are only released to the public on Tuesday. So we will know their position tomorrow.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1133 on: March 04, 2019, 08:27:43 AM »

Here's hoping for top 10!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1134 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
Sorry everyone for the off topic but I just have to compliment EPIC Outro on his choice of avatar (wanted to do that since quite some time). Awesome and wonderful album, one of the very best of Rage, when you all guys grow tired of Distance Over Time, go check out Rage's End of All Days  :metal :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1135 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:35 AM »
He didn’t call you stupid, just what you said is stupid. There’s a difference. Giving your opinion is one thing. But when you say that one of DT’s albums “a steaming pile of shit” and another “absolute garbage” than don’t act all offended when someone strongly disagrees with you.

Absolutely THIS

Yeah, I don't get it. I am not into Queensryche these days but I would not go on their forum and insult the album like that. Maybe, that I like this and that but the rest I am not into.

Anyhow, back on topic. I am literally addicted to this album!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1136 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
Given Stewie's string of posts outright insulting the band and other forum members, and previous warnings in the past, there's no point in future warnings.  He has been shown the door. 

Now let's get the discussion back on track.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1137 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:17 AM »
Stewie doesn't really sound like a fan... I agreed slightly with one of his posts but there is a constructive way to express your opinions.

His posts come from hate and not love.   If I critique DT its like critiquing my child... I want them to clean their room because I have seen what their room looks like clean and I know how beautiful it can look :)

This album is great though... everyone will have complaints but its the most consistent album they have made since SDOIT IMO. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1138 on: March 04, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
This album is great though... everyone will have complaints but its the most consistent album they have made since SDOIT IMO. 

Honestly, I think all of their albums in the Mangini era have been models of consistency, unlike anything they had done before.  The Astonishing is the only one of the four Mangini-era albums that I would not say that about.  But, obviously, what they were going for with that album was so different that I don't even think it makes sense to analyze it using the same criteria we would for other more "normal" albums.  But, again, my point is simply that I find ADTOE and DT12 to be incredibly consistent as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1139 on: March 04, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
I can say that Pale Blue Dot is an instant grower. In the first three days I was like: well, ok. This is kinda cool but nothing much. Now this is a must play for me.

The first spins of my ranking:
1- At Wit's End
2- Barstool Warrior
3- S2N
4- Out Of Reach
5- Paralyzed
6- Room 137
7- Viper King
8- Fall Into The Light
9- Pale Blue Dot (I didn't expect it to be that bad for my taste)
10- Untehered Angel

Current Ranking:

1- At Wit's End
2- Barstool Warrior
3- Pale Blue Dot
4- S2N
5- Paralyzed
6- Out Of Reach
7- Fall Into The Light
8- Viper King
9- Room 137
10- Untethered Angel
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1140 on: March 04, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »
I can say that Pale Blue Dot is an instant grower. In the first three days I was like: well, ok. This is kinda cool but nothing much. Now this is a must play for me.

The first spins of my ranking:
1- At Wit's End
2- Barstool Warrior
3- S2N
4- Out Of Reach
5- Paralyzed
6- Room 137
7- Viper King
8- Fall Into The Light
9- Pale Blue Dot (I didn't expect it to be that bad for my taste)
10- Untehered Angel

Current Ranking:

1- At Wit's End
2- Barstool Warrior
3- Pale Blue Dot
4- S2N
5- Paralyzed
6- Out Of Reach
7- Fall Into The Light
8- Viper King
9- Room 137
10- Untethered Angel

That is pretty spot on.  I reserve the right to reorder the whole thing but I think your AWE at #1 and your r137 and ua at 9 and 10 will always stick.

As for consistency ....

I think UA and R137 may be the best "worst" songs on any album since SDOIT.   

I would take both of those over:

AS I AM
I walk beside you, These Walls
Constant Motion
Right of Passage
Build me up Break me down
Enemy Inside
Several tracks on TA (Although I love TA)

So I just think from start to finish on D/T there are no duds.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:06:10 AM by lovethedrake »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1141 on: March 04, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
I think UA and R137 may be the best "worst" songs on any album

:lol  That's a great way of putting it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1142 on: March 04, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
Taking a break from DOT

Just wanted to post that I don't care for "D/T" especially with so many who call the band's twelfth album "DT"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1143 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:39 AM »
Same here.  But since that is the abbreviation the band went with, I think we're stuck with it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1144 on: March 04, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
Same here.  But since that is the abbreviation the band went with, I think we're stuck with it.

What the band decides shouldn't have much importance. We're nerds and obsessed fans, WE decide what an album is called and/or abbreviated.

;D

(Kiddin' of course)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1145 on: March 04, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
I've actually only seen it as "d/t" in the official artwork posted online, in all lowercase, not uppercase. Is that too nitpicky?  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1146 on: March 04, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
Taking a break from DOT

Just wanted to post that I don't care for "D/T" especially with so many who call the band's twelfth album "DT"

DT12 seems to be the standard abbreviation for the self-titled record.

I am good with D/T or DoT in regards to the new album.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1147 on: March 04, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
As for consistency ....

Yeah, this is a good point. Even at the album's weakest points for me personally (PBD and Barstool Warrior) are still pretty strong by DT standards. Like, yeah, they have issues, but there's still plenty to like about them.

Speaking of having issues with still plenty to like, At Wit's End is really growing on me. The song overall still has some flow issues I think and it feels like two songs taped together, but those are two great songs that have been taped together.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1148 on: March 04, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
As for consistency ....

Yeah, this is a good point. Even at the album's weakest points for me personally (PBD and Barstool Warrior) are still pretty strong by DT standards. Like, yeah, they have issues, but there's still plenty to like about them.

Speaking of having issues with still plenty to like, At Wit's End is really growing on me. The song overall still has some flow issues I think and it feels like two songs taped together, but those are two great songs that have been taped together.

I think that At Wit's Ends change is a reflection of the conversation between the man and woman. He is mostly first, the music being about the ugliness of her attack, his frustration in not being able to help her and the relationship in turmoil. When it shifts, the piano is soft and she explains her points, her sufferings. Then the music takes on that melancholy hopeless sound, with the reprise indicating it's over.     Just my thoughts  :smiley:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1149 on: March 04, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
I returned to Pale blue dot today. God damn, that song is fantastic!  :metal

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1150 on: March 04, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »
Hard to rank but what the heck...every song is a winner

Pale Blue Dot
At Wit's End
Barstool Warrior
S2N
Room 137
Paralyzed
Fall Into The Light
Untethered Angel
Viper King
Out Of Reach

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1151 on: March 04, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
As for consistency ....

I think that At Wit's Ends change is a reflection of the conversation between the man and woman. He is mostly first, the music being about the ugliness of her attack, his frustration in not being able to help her and the relationship in turmoil. When it shifts, the piano is soft and she explains her points, her sufferings. Then the music takes on that melancholy hopeless sound, with the reprise indicating it's over.     Just my thoughts  :smiley:

I think that's either dead-on, or at the very least VERY close to it.

Offline mariner

« Reply #1152 on: March 04, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
I held off ranking (don't be fooled by the few postings; long time lurker here) until I had digested it all.  Here is my ranking of the songs:

1.  At Wit's End
2.  Barstool Warrior
3.  Pale Blue Dot
4.  Untethered Angel (I like it more than most; love the solos back and forth and great chorus)
5.  S2N
6.  Viper King
7.  Out of Reach
8.  Room 137
9.  Fall Into the Light
10.  Paralyzed

I find that the second and third singles are the weakest tracks for me.  They are just "meh".  They aren't particularly sonically interesting (whereas I think Untethered Angel is very sonically interesting).  The slow section on FitL seems "thrown in" and there is no coherent theme in the song (the riff from the first section doesn't really appear in the third, for example).

I absolutely love AWE, BW, and PBD and think that they are the three best songs that I have heard from them since ADTOE.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1153 on: March 04, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
As for consistency ....

That makes a lot of sense. Great analysis! It makes me like the song a bit more. The way they did that reminds me of Outcry a bit, where the hectic middle section represents the actual revolution that the song is all about in a way

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1154 on: March 04, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
I usually don't rank stuff, but I'll give it a go -

1. At Wit's End
2. Barstool Warrior
3. S2N
4. Pale Blue Dot
5. Fall into the Light
6. Paralyzed
7. Untethered Angel
8. Out of Reach
9. Room 137

Not sure where I'd rank Viper King, it's such a different vibe from the rest of the album. I'm not a fan of James' verse vocals, if they wrote a slightly lower vocal line, it would be near the top of the list. As it stands, it probably falls somewhere in the middle or bottom middle.