Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 194920 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #560 on: February 23, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
Minority opinion, it seems, but I'm enjoying Paralyzed, Room 137, Out of Reach, and Viper King more than Pale Blue Dot, S2N, and Fall Into the Light.

Not that those songs are disappointing in any way—and PBD especially has more room to grow on me—I just think the band really nailed the shorter, more accessible songs on this album.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #561 on: February 23, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »
The first verse of Barstool Warrior reminds me of:

"Brace yourself my brother
I have breaking news"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #562 on: February 23, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Honestly the only song that I’ve yet to reallly ‘connect’ with is Room 137. I think it has some cool sections but as a whole It’s yet to ‘grab’ me.

But that’s not to say I’m not enjoying the  :censored out of this album because I am. I continue to dig this album big time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #563 on: February 23, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »

Fall Into The Light-

This is one of my favorites on the album. I love everything about it. When the full band kicks in, it's a total ass kicker. That middle instrumental section is amazing. It is so moving and hypnotic. And that outro. Holy shit JP!

S/N

Amazing track. Love the Rush influence. It's all over it. I couldn't list everything I like about it. The playing is off the charts. It is totally engaging and entrapping. My ONLY issue is the TDEN style outro. WHY? Doing something so blatantly similar to a previous song can be a track killer for me. The fact that it isn't speaks to how amazing the rest of the song is. It's something Untethered Angel couldn't overcome. S/N is one of the best tracks here.

Viper King

This is fantastic. So much fun. I would love to hear an EP of material in this vain. Not sure we'd all accept an entire album like this. We have Systematic Chaos for that. But I love this, and if Inside Out requires them to produce a bonus track on each album, then I'm all for it.

TAC  :metal

love Viper King, I can picture Satriani jamming to this, maybe another G3 down the road, the other 2 tracks you described are my fav's Fall Into the Light and of course the Rush vibe on S2N, Paralyzed is growing on me as well. I give this album 9 out of 10, best DT album in the Mangini era, well done  ;D

Offline robbob

« Reply #564 on: February 23, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
Listened to most of the album once thru. Loving it, sounds fresh, inspired, makes you want to go back and listen again. S2N, wow, one of my favorites right away. Easily their best since ADTOE.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #565 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
Minority opinion but I think the Owen Wilson cameo in S2N is the most memorable moment on the album. Like they've been hinting at it in Octavarium already!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #566 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »

Minority opinion but I think the Owen Wilson cameo in S2N is the most memorable moment on the album. Like they've been hinting at it in Octavarium already!

???

Offline adamack

« Reply #567 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »
The first verse of Barstool Warrior reminds me of:

"Brace yourself my brother
I have breaking news"

THAT's what it is! I've been thinking...where have I heard this verse melody before? Granted, it's only 2 or 3 notes but still very similar. Not a bad thing as I like both verses

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #568 on: February 23, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
After two listens, this album really clicked with me!  I love Room 137, and by no means is this a weak link on the album. 
 It seems most people are partial to AWE, which is a great track but I'm more partial to BW, FITL, S2N,  and Pale Blue Dot. I like the dark vibe of PBD and the drumming and riffing are just earthshaking and insane, I love it!  It almost feels like flying through an asteroid field at warp speed and still trying to avoid them.  :metal
 I like the way the vocals are mixed in the album. Some have said they are a bit buried, but they sound well balanced and very present to me. James is excellent on this album once again. :tup
 Viper King is a rockin fun track and closes this album on a lighter note, I don't see why this is just a bonus track. I wish DT would write more songs like this, it has a great "make you feel good" vibe and the musicianship is still crazy good.
  This album should be played on a quality stereo system with high end tower speakers at very high volume levels. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #569 on: February 23, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »
It might be just me, but I feel like the first verse of BW was played too Metal-ish by JM and MM, a more laid back approach could’ve been a better fit. But that’s just a small section in an excellent song, so no big deal :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #570 on: February 23, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
Anybody knows why  DT's obsession about Owen Wilson?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online faizoff

« Reply #571 on: February 23, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »

The awesome production sets the table for the overall listening experience. Over the years I've had so
many discussions with other music fanatics--many on mp.com about how important the sonic value of
an album is. Imagine looking at the Mona Lisa through a muddy glass window. If you doubt me, as a
test, grab ADToE (the cd version) and spin a tune from it. Then put on any song from D/T and hear the
clarity and crispness gobsmack you. So the production gets an A from me and I hope like hell they use
the same people and approach on the next one.

I am afraid I cannot agree:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159299

Looks like the newest album ties for having the lowest score to date on the dynamic range scale, with a range of 06, which is considered poor:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=dream+theater&album=

I am still enjoying the new album quite a bit after a few listens, but I am already getting that "I wish it sounded better" feeling.  I rarely listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events anymore because of how muddy that one is.

I guess I will wait till I get my CD and bluray to listen and compare but the version on Amazon Music sounds pretty good and doesn't feel like its muddy or overcompressed. ADTOE actually doesn't sound too bad when I listen on my PC with my audio gear. (HD 6xx)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #572 on: February 23, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
I personally find some of these vocal melodies underwhelming because The Astonishing had such truly great and memorable ones.
But otherwise, this record just kicked SoA's ass for me at least 10 times.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #573 on: February 23, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »
S2N should be called Wow!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #574 on: February 23, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »

I don’t think a millisecond of an audio clip qualifies as “obsession”.

Offline fluojn

« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
I gotta admit I'm a sucker for Petrucci's tasty melodic solos and this album is full of them! Before D/T the solos in Count of Tuscany, Best of Times and Illumination Theory were that gave me the most pleasure, but now they have been rivaled by Fall Into the Light, (especially) Barstool Warrior, At Wit's End and Out of Reach! Damn!

I don't understand why people are so underwhelmed by PBD. It's a badass, complex and IMO delivers it's message handsomely. Also I think moany people pass by Out of Reach just 'cause it's a ballad. But man it's a beautiful one!

I'm just so happy with the album. I can sit and jam with my eyes closed, suck in all the melodies and grin from ear to ear. Heartfelt thanks to DT guys  :heart

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »

The awesome production sets the table for the overall listening experience. Over the years I've had so
many discussions with other music fanatics--many on mp.com about how important the sonic value of
an album is. Imagine looking at the Mona Lisa through a muddy glass window. If you doubt me, as a
test, grab ADToE (the cd version) and spin a tune from it. Then put on any song from D/T and hear the
clarity and crispness gobsmack you. So the production gets an A from me and I hope like hell they use
the same people and approach on the next one.

I am afraid I cannot agree:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159299

Looks like the newest album ties for having the lowest score to date on the dynamic range scale, with a range of 06, which is considered poor:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=dream+theater&album=

I am still enjoying the new album quite a bit after a few listens, but I am already getting that "I wish it sounded better" feeling.  I rarely listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events anymore because of how muddy that one is.

I guess I will wait till I get my CD and bluray to listen and compare but the version on Amazon Music sounds pretty good and doesn't feel like its muddy or overcompressed. ADTOE actually doesn't sound too bad when I listen on my PC with my audio gear. (HD 6xx)

I’m with emtee on this one Kev. I think this album sounds great. I’ve listened to it in three different environments now on three different delivery systems and it sounds awesome to me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
…..

fluojn, you need to post more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: February 23, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
My First impressions of the album are quite positive. At Wit's End is a real gem, near-perfect song, and the best one in the album. S2N is a blast; the song Systematic Chaos desperately tried to create but never could. Viper King is incredible too and I hope they continue to experiment on songs like that, Barstool Warrior really got me too. Room 137 and Pale Blue dot are a bit harder to get into but I don't consider them bad songs per se. A great, heavy record that I'll be blasting a lot these days. Good!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »

I don't know exactly but the Loudwire guy, who's dumb as bricks, asked JP playfully denied knowledge of it. The dude, who has the humor of Rachel Meadow, didn't catch that and kept asking people in the studio if he had imagined it until JP had to out and tell him that he's playing with him heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #580 on: February 23, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »

:lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #581 on: February 23, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »

For the life of me, I can't hear the "Wow" everyone is talking about.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #582 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »

For the life of me, I can't hear the "Wow" everyone is talking about.

It’s really quiet, during a second-long break around the 4 minute mark. Gotta turn it up

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #583 on: February 23, 2019, 02:03:32 PM »

It's on Octavarium too. That's why I ask.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #584 on: February 23, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

Is it? Where?

As to why, maybe it's just a band goof...maybe an inside joke among the band members, or maybe they just want to confuse us. They know how nitpicky we get...we have previous of superanalyzing millisecond bits of music. See also "People just don't have the *time* for music anymore..."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #585 on: February 23, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »

Is it? Where?

As to why, maybe it's just a band goof...maybe an inside joke among the band members, or maybe they just want to confuse us. They know how nitpicky we get...we have previous of superanalyzing millisecond bits of music. See also "People just don't have the *time* for music anymore..."

It's on Full Circle section if I am not mistaken... "Jack the ripper Owens Wilson Phillips and my supper's ready..."
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #586 on: February 23, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »
Decent album. Not bad, but far from great.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #587 on: February 23, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

It's just a fun thing they added, nothing more. We shoulnd't read too much into everything all the time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: February 23, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
What is anyone's obsession with Owen Wilson. Better stated.. how does this talentless hack keep getting jobs?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #589 on: February 23, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »
What is anyone's obsession with Owen Wilson. Better stated.. how does this talentless hack keep getting jobs?

Answer is the Wes Anderson.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #590 on: February 23, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
For such a grandiose topic, DT could pull a Rush and begin the next album with Pale Blue Dot: Book Two. 

:clap:

hell yeah, and in 2023 it could be so.  :tup

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #591 on: February 23, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
For such a grandiose topic, DT could pull a Rush and begin the next album with Pale Blue Dot: Book Two. 

:clap:

hell yeah, and in 2023 it could be so.  :tup

:caffeine:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: February 23, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »
Pale Blue Dot: Book Two, Electric Boogaloo

Answer is the Wes Anderson.

The Royal Tenebaums is somehow one of the worst movies I've ever seen (and I use that term loosely since I stopped watching it halfway through, something I've done less than 5 times in my life) and at the same time the only performance by Ben Stiller I've ever really enjoyed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #593 on: February 23, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: February 23, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
I don't get it, I have no way to personally relate to Barstool Warrior, yet it still gets me choked up every time so far!
Fuckin bravo DT.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.