Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189112 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
The rating is gonna keep going down though. Fuck RYM.

Why? Looking at the ordering of the albums they seem to arrive at very sensible ratings. And if D/T gets a bit closer to 8V, If that's how people feel about it, what's wrong about that?

RYM is full of people who despise the band and hate-listen to their albums just to give them 0.5/5.

No it's not. Have you even looked at the ratings on there?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tomasoares

« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
TBH there has been a lot of people that didn't enjoy D/T, the ratings on progarchives are also quite low: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=60604

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »
TBH there has been a lot of people that didn't enjoy D/T, the ratings on progarchives are also quite low: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=60604

That's obviously trolls. No way this album ranks anywhere near a 4/10

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »
The part with:6
"Deafening, deafening
Shout it out, shout it out
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

Nope, it doesn't sound like that part from Three Days......for some reason Mudvayne comes to mind but I really can't recall what song the bridge is like.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

That's 3.67 out of 5 actually, essentially in line with RYM. It's 4 out of 5 stars, which I think is a good rating for the album (no, it's not 5/5).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

Nope, it doesn't sound like that part from Three Days......for some reason Mudvayne comes to mind but I really can't recall what song the bridge is like.

New Millenium??

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »
^ Yes actually, to me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
Noticing a fair amount of criticisms with the vocal production, now with over 10 listens, I’m really digging a lot of the vocal harmonies all over the album. This whole album is just making me feel good. TYDT!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »
The rating is gonna keep going down though. Fuck RYM.

Why? Looking at the ordering of the albums they seem to arrive at very sensible ratings. And if D/T gets a bit closer to 8V, If that's how people feel about it, what's wrong about that?

RYM is full of people who despise the band and hate-listen to their albums just to give them 0.5/5.

Every band gets trolled. If it makes you happier,  re-average the ratings of all the albums omitting the 0.5 entries and even the 1 entries from your own calculation.  The order will be similar but the ratings will be higher.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »
I'm saying it now. Mangini has come into his own in DT on Distance Over Time. He absolutely shreds on every track.  :hefdaddy
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
Another great album! My only regret at this point is that Pale Blue Dot is about 13 minutes too short. That had all the makings of a 20+ minute epic.....and a lot of great ideas could have been built upon. But still a great song regardless.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

I have to listen to it again. Mudvayne is one of my favorite bands, so I'll keep that in mind.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

Actually that part from Three Days is exactly what that section reminds me of! Haha.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
Record store had about 20 copies of the standard album, but they sold out of the digipak version before I got out of work (they only got like three of those in). But they offered to order another copy of it for me so I'm waiting a little longer before I get the album.

The point is the bonus track version of DoT isn't a website-exclusive thing, thankfully.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:38 PM »
Anybody know a website with accurate lyrics to bookmark?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
ALBUM IS KILLER! :metal

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed, but I bought the standard version of the album and Viper King was still included. Pretty sick!

Barstool Warrior is a favorite. Chorus is great. S2N as well. PBD is kick ass. Was a bit taken aback by Room 137 at first, but after a second listen, it slays! And the Viper King riff is so kick ass.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
Anybody know a website with accurate lyrics to bookmark?

AZLyrics and Genius Lyrics seem to have accurate lyrics. Genius is better organized in its presentation imo.

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
Holy shit that outro starting at 6:32 on Fall Into the Light is fucking amazing.
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2019, 05:41:05 PM »
Went to RYM, gave my rating. Read some of the reviews there and I just laughed. Somebody even said that there's nothing new whatsoever in the album, and I kinda understood already how BC&SL rated much higher than ADTOE in that site. :lol SoA's Psychotic Symphony score much higher than any post-SDOIT DT album was the killer joke for me. :lol

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2019, 05:43:32 PM »
Record store had about 20 copies of the standard album, but they sold out of the digipak version before I got out of work (they only got like three of those in). But they offered to order another copy of it for me so I'm waiting a little longer before I get the album.

The point is the bonus track version of DoT isn't a website-exclusive thing, thankfully.

I got the standard jewel case and the bonus track is on there (to my dismay)

Offline JRuless

« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »

That's 3.67 out of 5 actually, essentially in line with RYM. It's 4 out of 5 stars, which I think is a good rating for the album (no, it's not 5/5).

I would be interested to know your 5 star albums to put your opinion in perspective.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
One of the main things I'm noticing about this album is how many parts sound just so...Rush-y. About half of the songs on the album have a riff or section or the entire song that sounds super Rush-y.

When the band said they would be "going back to their roots" on this album, I wasn't expecting them to go allllllll the way back to Rush lol

Offline gm5k

« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2019, 06:04:15 PM »
One of the main things I'm noticing about this album is how many parts sound just so...Rush-y. About half of the songs on the album have a riff or section or the entire song that sounds super Rush-y.

When the band said they would be "going back to their roots" on this album, I wasn't expecting them to go allllllll the way back to Rush lol

Really don't hear that at all outside of S2N...

Well, beginning of Barstool Warrior too  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:09:25 PM by gm5k »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #443 on: February 22, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »

Is it listed on the back? I thumbed through a few of the copies and it only listed the nine songs.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #444 on: February 22, 2019, 06:07:00 PM »

Is it listed on the back? I thumbed through a few of the copies and it only listed the nine songs.

Not listed, but definitely there

Online faizoff

« Reply #445 on: February 22, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
After a few listens, I don't think I have a favorite I would just place them

God tier

At Wits End, the crunchy guitar mixed with that bass line that kicks in at 5:22 is just heavenly, don't even get me started with that ending solo fade. I can't wait for JP to improv & extend the shit out of that ending and it will be godly.
Pale Blue Dot, the beginning drum beats are just so kick ass to start with. Only wish is that it was a bit longer and ended a little more grand. I feel like it builds but ends when normally there would have been an additional section.Paralyzed, this is such a straight forward simple track that just makes me tingle
S2N - wow (just had to)

The rest are about the same in likeability, though the chorus line of Untethered Angel is my least liked component of the album. I just don't like that s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out line sung of the song title.
I love Out of the Reach, it's a great segue after that magical ending of At Wit's End.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:35:40 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #446 on: February 22, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »

Not listed, but definitely there

That is so confusing! Maybe I should have just winged it and bought a jewelcase copy.  :lol

Offline Staffador

« Reply #447 on: February 22, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

maybe Trial Of Tears? at 5:45 it goes: "Not within his eyes to see, open up, open up..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: February 22, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
Holy shit that outro starting at 6:32 on Fall Into the Light is fucking amazing.

Yes it is!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »
I've been spinning this album and it's a really great album. It's been a long time since I've listened and enjoyed this much DT.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #450 on: February 22, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Just cranked this record in my car, wow!

I think noxon said a while back that this was a great album to listen to while driving. It definitely is!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: February 22, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is like The Dance Of Eternity with words. There's some crazy ass playing, but as a song, it just seems to lack the glue to hold it all together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #452 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is like The Dance Of Eternity with words. There's some crazy ass playing, but as a song, it just seems to lack the glue to hold it all together.

Definitely not. PBD has more of a typical song structure, despite the chaotic instrumental section in the middle.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #453 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »
Is the album actually available in stores somewhere?  Best Buy and Target don't have it.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online faizoff

« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »
Anyone if the harsh/raspy vocal callbacks in S2N is JLB heavily processed or some other band member?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan