Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189512 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #490 on: February 23, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
very cool video with JP about his riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8-RTJkM_g

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #491 on: February 23, 2019, 12:55:30 AM »
 Room 137 reminds me of Drop Dead Cynical by Amaranthe (the intro), That song has grown on me quite a lot

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: February 23, 2019, 01:17:37 AM »
PBD 2:03: Edit: oops... Darth Vader enters  :lol

Well spotted :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Pettor

« Reply #493 on: February 23, 2019, 02:45:13 AM »
Thought it was cool that Metacritics for once picked up the album on "new and notable". This album is getting a lot of good reviews from critics which is farily unusual when it comes to DT afaik.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/distance-over-time/dream-theater

Offline Pettor

« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2019, 03:01:25 AM »
Loving the album. Another spin and everything has grown even more. Barstool Warrior is just one of the best songs they have done. Room 137 and S2N have grown a lot. At Wit's End is very heartbreaking. What a song and the subject is really touching the way they have done it.

Only UA that I don't fully appriciate. I think I dare say this could be strongest album since SDOIT  :omg:

BTW anyone else think Out of Reach has a fantastic kinda dynamic/breathy sound to it? Also James peformance is so cool in that song. Feels like it fits his voice perfect and he sings in a way I never heard really.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2019, 03:27:59 AM »
Funnily enough, Viper King might be my favorite track on here :P It's so out of left field and refreshing to hear an upbeat, groovy, almost danceable song from Dream Theater. I would actually be down if they decided their next album would go into a hard rock / boogie / rockabilly / whatever you would call Viper King direction.

Also, the album deals with some serious issues. The fact that they end the whole thing with a groovy song about a sports car is kind of hilarious to me.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #496 on: February 23, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »

I haven't listened to much of the first three tracks since the album came out, since I became so familiar with them as singles ahead of release. So it kind of feels like the first three tracks of D/T are a whole 'nother album. Anyone else feel that way?

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: February 23, 2019, 03:55:11 AM »
The more messages the more I'm happy to see how well the album is welcomed :)
I love how it sounds a band's work, how it just goes straight to the point for riffs or solos, it's not wankery, it's pure art.

Dt's magic for me is that beyond the fact I'm not a native english speaker, but still a musician, there are moments that will tighten my throat or even make me cry forever... From at wit's end second part to goodnight kiss...

That's the reason why I can't push the critic to details, even if the band must be proud having such critic and exiging fans (never enough?)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline JRuless

« Reply #498 on: February 23, 2019, 03:58:20 AM »
What a band! At Wits End is so Dream Theater. Amazing!
And Mangini...what a man. Unbelievable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #499 on: February 23, 2019, 04:47:53 AM »
Also did anyone else think of Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" during the intro to Room 137?  Just for a second maybe?

Definitively!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #500 on: February 23, 2019, 04:55:16 AM »
Also did anyone else think of Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" during the intro to Room 137?  Just for a second maybe?

Honestly not much....but the initial verse is VERY similar to the RHCP cover of Higher Grounds
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline genome

« Reply #501 on: February 23, 2019, 04:57:50 AM »
very cool video with JP about his riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8-RTJkM_g

Very cool, but did the interviewer electrocute himself before the interview?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2019, 05:40:45 AM »
Honestly not much....but the initial verse is VERY similar to the RHCP cover of Higher Grounds

Exactly my thoughts, it had the same rythmic feel
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
I want to give all of DT a hug for writing At Wits End, this song is already among my favorite songs period now.

It's hard to judge between At Wits End and Pale Blue Dot but Wits End gets me on a very intense emotional rollercoaster (the second half is tearful, really, they haven't written anything that makes me feel like this.....for quite a lot of albums) in such a way that I may only just favorite it but it's so hard to judge between the two cause they're both soooo epic  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #504 on: February 23, 2019, 05:51:08 AM »
I just wanted to chime in, again, with how amazingly wonderful this album is and how much I am stoked for this band after this release. Such a strong output, I cannot wrap my head around it (for my full review, please refer to page 3  :lol ). AWE is absolutely mind-boggling, and so is BW.

Another thing I wanted to note is how nice the new skin/theme of forum is.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #505 on: February 23, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
Soon I'll start my second listening. I'm thinking that maybe I should ditch the booklet this time around and just listen to the music, I have all the time in the world to learn the lyrics with future listenings, there's no need to read them every single time during the first days...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #506 on: February 23, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »
I'm only about 3 listens in and Out Of Reach is my favorite so far. Did not expect that as I'd heard it's a ballad and it's buried towards the end of the album. Very strong melodically. This album has been a great listen so far.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2019, 06:18:27 AM »
Really nice to see how many people are loving the album.

For my own part, I'm enjoying it hugely but perhaps not as excited as others. I don't see DT as being "back" because I never thought they went away. DT12 and TA were a slightly step down but still really solid. On balance I do think it's better than those two but not as fantastic as ADTOE, which is in my top 3 DT albums. The thing I do particularly like about it is that there's a sense of fun and energy which gives it a nice vibe, and is possibly helping people really connect with it.

Thoughts on each song below. Too early to try ranking or rating them in any meaningful way.

Untethered Angel: Surprisingly this is one of my favourites. Stylistically it's pretty standard DT fare, but it's just really well done and very catchy. Really dig the main riff and the chorus.

Paralyzed: Eh, this is fine but just kind of there. Nothing very memorable or interesting for me.

Fall Into the Light: Solid track overall, but I absolutely adore the instrumental bridge section. Seems to have nothing to do with the rest of the song, but in and of itself it's one of my favourite parts of the album.

Barstool Warrior: Another solid track and another strong chorus. I don't always love DT's obviously-Rush-inspired songs but this is one of the better ones, and the guitar solo is absolutely wonderful. The end of the solo in particular is another of my favourite moments.

Room 137: Another song that's fine but I don't love. It's a bit different for them (especially the Beatles-esque vocals in a heavy track which gives it an oddly grungy feel), which is cool, but I don't find the song very interesting.

S2N: Solid track again and would probably have been a favourite if it had a more interesting chorus. But chorus aside, this has a fantastic groove and lots of brilliant stuff. Chorus might grow on me so it could still end up being among my favourites on the album.

At Wit's End: Really nice song and one of my favourites. I can see the comparisons to The Bigger Picture but I don't think it's a better version or anything. I think TBP is warmer and the melodies more engaging, but AWE has the benefit of feeling more complete - it always bugged me that TBP seemed to fizzle out just as it was introducing a great new theme. So roughly on a far overall I think.

Out of Reach: A very nice ballad, particularly in the power-ballad final chorus, but I've never been a fan of JLB's really breathy ballad vocals and I do find them a bit much in a couple of earlier moments here.

Pale Blue Dot: Considering this is the end of the album-proper, I find it somewhat anticlimactic, even though it's heavy. The music's cool but it doesn't have much of a hook. It's grown on me from my first listens, but I don't see this becoming a favourite.

Viper King: I know this is a fun bonus track but it's one of my favourites. Fantastic groove and energy, just really really enjoyable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »
Every time I spin it, it gets better. I won't do any rankings or place it in any kind of discography order
as only time allows for that.

The awesome production sets the table for the overall listening experience. Over the years I've had so
many discussions with other music fanatics--many on mp.com about how important the sonic value of
an album is. Imagine looking at the Mona Lisa through a muddy glass window. If you doubt me, as a
test, grab ADToE (the cd version) and spin a tune from it. Then put on any song from D/T and hear the
clarity and crispness gobsmack you. So the production gets an A from me and I hope like hell they use
the same people and approach on the next one.

For the first time in a LONG time, there is nothing that I want to skip over, not one single measure. The album
is concise, focused and my God are the guys playing tight. If they can pull off PBD live it will be amazing.
Others miss the long epic...not me. It's been done to death. This album takes you on a ride and keeps you
at the top of the roller coaster--looking down the slope with anticipation of the crazy descent, and it keeps
you there for the entire duration.

I love every single song, including the beautiful ballad. And, once again, the length of the song matters. If that
song drags on for another 3 minutes, it would detract. But instead, it gives you a short rest from the insanity.

Every single member of the band shines. Their playing, the sound and clarity of their instruments and their ability
to lock in with each other...bolstered by that beefy, clear, low end production just kicks my ass all over the place.

All in all, a fantastic album from start to finish. Mind blowing really. My hats off to everyone in the DT machine
for this one. It's a 475' home run...over the fence of the ball park and bouncing around in the parking lot
smashing windshields on all the cars.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #509 on: February 23, 2019, 06:33:23 AM »
So now it’s official for me, the Mangini albums are DT’s best 4-album stretch. If FII had never been released, obviously it would be I&W-SDoIT, but . . .

Only listened on headphones so far, can’t wait to crank the CD in the car when it arrives Monday.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: February 23, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »

The awesome production sets the table for the overall listening experience. Over the years I've had so
many discussions with other music fanatics--many on mp.com about how important the sonic value of
an album is. Imagine looking at the Mona Lisa through a muddy glass window. If you doubt me, as a
test, grab ADToE (the cd version) and spin a tune from it. Then put on any song from D/T and hear the
clarity and crispness gobsmack you. So the production gets an A from me and I hope like hell they use

I am afraid I cannot agree:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159299

Looks like the newest album ties for having the lowest score to date on the dynamic range scale, with a range of 06, which is considered poor:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=dream+theater&album=

I am still enjoying the new album quite a bit after a few listens, but I am already getting that "I wish it sounded better" feeling.  I rarely listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events anymore because of how muddy that one is.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #511 on: February 23, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
Jesus christ  :lol I tho it sounded great, didn't know it was supposed to sound so shitty.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #512 on: February 23, 2019, 07:01:25 AM »
So now it’s official for me, the Mangini albums are DT’s best 4-album stretch. If FII had never been released, obviously it would be I&W-SDoIT, but . . .

Huh...I have to think about that...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erciccio

« Reply #513 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:30 AM »

Looks like the newest album ties for having the lowest score to date on the dynamic range scale, with a range of 06, which is considered poor:

I am still enjoying the new album quite a bit after a few listens, but I am already getting that "I wish it sounded better" feeling.  I rarely listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events anymore because of how muddy that one is.

Well, today I had The Enemy Inside just after D/T in my car, and honestly I have to say I prefer DT12 production to D/T
They are pretty similar, but James voice is much better in DT12

I never understood all the complaints on DT12...the only issue I heard there was the snare sound that clearly did not work on some songs (TBG, Along for the ride...) but for the rest for me is fine.

In D/T, the low vocal mix + excess of effects + average vocal melodies are a real problem IMHO...they prevent the album from "flying"
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #514 on: February 23, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
Well, 7 listens in : I don't think it will ever break my top 3 (I&W, Awake and SFAM) BUT it may well take the 4th place occupied in my my list by ToT. I like everything about the album, even though the vocals might have been a little higher in the mix. I was first embarked by the whole songs and didn't pay attention to the subtleties behind. Man, with every new listen, I hear something I hadn't got up to then.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: February 23, 2019, 07:14:46 AM »

I never understood all the complaints on DT12...the only issue I heard there was the snare sound that clearly did not work on some songs (TBG, Along for the ride...) but for the rest for me is fine.

I only listen to the HD version now, so I am okay with it sounds for the most part.  I listen to only HD version of ADTOE as well, but the increased dynamic range didn't make it sound less muddy (to me anyway), which is kinda frustrating.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #516 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »

Well, today I had The Enemy Inside just after D/T in my car, and honestly I have to say I prefer DT12 production to D/T
They are pretty similar, but James voice is much better in DT12

In D/T, the low vocal mix + excess of effects + average vocal melodies are a real problem IMHO...they prevent the album from "flying"

To each his own, but for me, D/T succeeds where DT12 fails : "short", concise, interesting songs throughout the whole album (not that there wasn't any on DT12).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline adamack

« Reply #517 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:29 AM »

TL/DR: An album can still sound better/cleaner to most people despite scoring horribly on the loudness test because EQ and loudness/dynamics are 2 different things

The reason people think it still sounds good despite this score is:

As you probably know, this scale is just measuring overall dynamic range in terms of loudness. It's mostly a test for the average differences in loudness  between the different peaks of the music.

Muddiness that you mention on ADToE is an Equalization characteristic, where there is too much information in the mid-range which prevents that clarity and "sparkle" of a better mix.

DoT sounds better to most people because it is much better equalized than past albums. The hats sound brighter, the snare hasn't been EQ'd to sound too poppy and unnatural (like on DT12), the album isn't muddy like the last 2, everything is panned nicely and has its own space in the spectrum, etc.

So basically, it can still sound cleaner/clearer but still score terribly on the loudness wars test. This test just means that whoever mastered it is trying to fit in with today's music standard, and raised the setting on his/her limiter way too high.

For those who don't know, the limiter basically lowers the loudest parts of the album below a certain threshold, while raising up all of the lower parts to be closer to that threshold - raising the overall volume of the album but sacrificing natural dynamics and creating more of a "wall of sound".

Hope this helps anyone!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #518 on: February 23, 2019, 07:21:01 AM »

TL/DR: An album can still sound better/cleaner to most people despite scoring horribly on the loudness test because EQ and loudness/dynamics are 2 different things

As you probably know, this scale is just measuring overall dynamic range in terms of loudness. It's mostly a test for the average differences in loudness  between the different peaks of the music.

Muddiness that you mention on ADToE is an Equalization characteristic, where there is too much information in the mid-range which prevents that clarity and "sparkle" of a better mix.

DoT sounds better to most people because it is much better equalized than past albums. The hats sound brighter, the snare hasn't been EQ'd to sound too poppy and unnatural (like on DT12), the album isn't muddy like the last 2, everything is panned nicely and has its own space in the spectrum, etc.

So basically, it can still sound cleaner/clearer but still score terribly on the loudness wars test. This test just means that whoever mastered it is trying to fit in with today's music standard, and raised the setting on his/her limiter way too high.

For those who don't know, the limiter basically lowers the loudest parts of the album below a certain threshold, while raising up all of the lower parts to be closer to that threshold - raising the overall volume of the album but sacrificing natural dynamics and creating more of a "wall of sound".

Hope this helps anyone!

Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.  :tup :tup

Offline adamack

« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2019, 07:26:39 AM »

Hope this helps anyone!

Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.  :tup :tup

No prob! Btw out of curiosity, have you ever put a Hevy Devy album into the loudness test? I'd be interested to know how it comes back since his music is designed around that wall of sound idea. If you ever do it, let me know! I'd do it but I don't have any albums on my PC atm

SCRATCH THAT ha - I didn't realize the albums were already available on that site. Devy actually didn't do too bad based on his style!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
I don't get the view that there is a lack of memorable vocal melodies in this album. UA 2nd verse and prechorus? BW chorus? Paralyzed verse? Beatles-esque portion of R137? S2n chorus? AWE chorus? AWE pre-chorus before the 2nd chorus? AWE outro? Out of Reach? VK chorus?

People put on a pedestal a song like LtL which has no good vocal melody, and then complain lack of vocal melody on this album which has lots of them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:51:03 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
Just completed my first listen. I'm not reviewing anything, for I need at least one year of distance to metabolise/contestualise and five years to make a Scene. One thing I do need to say, though:

The last thing I could think in 1992 was seeing myself giddy 27 years down the line for a 14th (and half) DT release. It's a kind of musical/professional miracle for at least 49 different reasons and I feel beyond grateful.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2019, 07:38:49 AM »
So you now can respond to me as Viper Kingshmegland. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #523 on: February 23, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »
I'm actually surprised your username hasn't been forcefully modified yet.  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #524 on: February 23, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
I don't get the view that there is a lack of memorable vocal melodies in this album. UA 2nd verse and prechorus? BW chorus? Paralyzed verse? Beatles-esque portion of R137? S2n chorus? AWE chorus? AWE pre-chorus before the 2nd chorus? AWE outro? Out of Reach? VK chorus?

People put in a pedestal a song like LtL which has no good vocal melody,
and then complain lack of vocal melody on this album which has lots of them.

LOL, what?

No prob! Btw out of curiosity, have you ever put a Hevy Devy album into the loudness test? I'd be interested to know how it comes back since his music is designed around that wall of sound idea. If you ever do it, let me know! I'd do it but I don't have any albums on my PC atm

SCRATCH THAT ha - I didn't realize the albums were already available on that site. Devy actually didn't do too bad based on his style!

:tup :tup