Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189630 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
After many classes all day, listen to the d/t more times!  :metal

Love the new look of the forums :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is like The Dance Of Eternity with words. There's some crazy ass playing, but as a song, it just seems to lack the glue to hold it all together.

Definitely not. PBD has more of a typical song structure, despite the chaotic instrumental section in the middle.

I mean "technically" there's a song structure. I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:45 PM »
After the 1st listen here is how I rank the tracks

#1 Barstool Warrior- Great melodic song. Only knock on it is how it ends abruptly like it doesn'[t have a proper ending.  I wish the rest of the songs had vocal parts written this well. Beautiful section in the middle and then Petrucci takes over and plays a short guitar solo with feel before the vocals kick in again
#2 At Wit's End - More "feel" here. Love when Petrucci plays with feel - his guitar at the end along with JLB "Don't leave me now" = heaven
#3 SN2 - That bass and that guitar. Damn.  Heavy but with melody. Love it.  I don't mind the distorted vocals at the beginning. At least they weren't Portnoy cookie monster vocals.
#4 Fall into the Light
#5 Out of Reach - Not a big fan of the high vocal section at the end so far but like the song
#6 Paralyzed
#7 Untethered Angel - Standard DT song that sounds familiar like it was off of A Dramatic Turn of Events
#8 Viper King - Fun song but the verses and chorus were not as memorable as they should be for a song like this. Really wanted to like this more but needed a catchy chorus.  Seemed like it need something goofy and memorable like Whitesnake's chorus on their new single....OK...not as goofy but still I expected something like "In the Halls of the Viper King" (little Savatage joke)
#9 Room 137 - Not memorable - Seems like a B-Side
#10 Pale Blue Dot - The vocal verses and chorus do not grab me at all. Liked the first 3 minutes but then wanted it to end.  The circus/chaos instrumental sections at the end have been done before tons of times by them.

Overall I am not a huge fan of the new album even though I think they sound tight. It falls short to me on memorable verses and choruses. Just a personal preference but the instrument sections sound unique and I love how tight they sound (At Wits End and SN2 instruments sections are WOW)  To me they fell short in writing the vocal sections.  I love albums like Awake, Images, Scenes, Octavarium, and even Falling to Infinity because of the excellent musicianship mixed with memorable vocal sections and choruses. Not bashing James at all. I don't ever want DT to switch singers to me it fell short in vocal (writing) department.

I am glad that many fans love the album.  I personally even rank The Astonishing above it though. Even though it was too long, had the wasted robot tracks and cheesy lyrics like "my music player" it had more melody in the vocal parts. I at least like every Dream Theater album and this is no exception.  Good album but as of now the only one I rank below it is WDADU (and that is only because Charlie sings on it).  That could very well change after repeated listens.

*This is based off of a youtube listen since Amazon isn't getting my disc to me until the 26th....the bastards.  I wanted to drive around cranking it in my car.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:47:06 PM by Hanz Gruber »

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2019, 07:15:31 PM »
With just 1 listen under my belt I can say I definitely like this disk!  Early favorites are Pale Blue Dot, Room 137, Fall Into the Light and S2N.  My copy is missing the 10th track on the jewel case, and also all the songs had tags with "Instrumental Version", even the DOT title...  Hmmm.  I wonder...

Also did anyone else think of Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" during the intro to Room 137?  Just for a second maybe?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »
Anyone if the harsh/raspy vocal callbacks in S2N is JLB heavily processed or some other band member?

It sounds like heavily processed James to me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »
I'm loving the album, btw. Don't have the words to describe it right now, but I've given it 4 or 5 full listens, as well as listening to individual songs, and it's growing on me more and more with each listen. Might be a top 5 DT album for me, but I still need more time with it to rank it against the other MM era albums + my all time favorites like SFAM and SDOIT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline evz

« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:17 PM »
I'm over the moon with this album...  I was okay with Untethered Angel but not super excited, it seemed like generic DT, which is still good, but....  WOW.  The rest of this is really fresh and new ground in places.  I love the sense of space and atmosphere throughout.  Everybody really shines to me, and I appreciate Jordan taking the density factor down a notch and giving the songs breathing room.  Hopefully it ages well.  Top 5 for me at the moment.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
By the way love the new design on the forum bosk. I assume it's you who changes it. :)

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
After absolutely loving my first several listens, I've been really surprised by how much I've come to enjoy Out of Reach! It's a wonderful change of mood from the rest of the album.

While DT ballads are often criticised as being cheesy and saccharine (sometimes, justifiably so) this one is not so - it has a really nice bittersweet mood -melodic and melancholic at the same time. And JLB's vocals are simply stunning.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is like The Dance Of Eternity with words. There's some crazy ass playing, but as a song, it just seems to lack the glue to hold it all together.

Definitely not. PBD has more of a typical song structure, despite the chaotic instrumental section in the middle.

Love this section, I hear some Zappaisms in it.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #465 on: February 22, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
Barstool Warrior is a great song. Like it more now.

R137: unique  :hefdaddy

S2N an amazing song. Absolutely fantastic. WOW!
It's a shame the SC/BCSL-like outro. But doesn't matter. It's still amazing!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: February 22, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
S2N an amazing song. Absolutely fantastic. WOW!
It's a shame the SC/BCSL-like outro. But doesn't matter. It's still amazing!

They have to know fans are going to link it to TDEN. Seems like a weird choice.

I guess we know when the Zen Riffer will make an appearance during the show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #467 on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:15 PM »
The part with:6
"Deafening, deafening
Shout it out, shout it out
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

Nope, it doesn't sound like that part from Three Days......for some reason Mudvayne comes to mind but I really can't recall what song the bridge is like.

maybe Trial Of Tears? at 5:45 it goes: "Not within his eyes to see, open up, open up..."

Not sure it's exactly what I was thinking of but I just relistened to that part of TOT and damn that's close!  :o Thanks for bringing it to mind.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
One of the main things I'm noticing about this album is how many parts sound just so...Rush-y. About half of the songs on the album have a riff or section or the entire song that sounds super Rush-y.

When the band said they would be "going back to their roots" on this album, I wasn't expecting them to go allllllll the way back to Rush lol

Really don't hear that at all outside of S2N...

Well, beginning of Barstool Warrior too  ;D

Viper King and At Wit's End both have parts that are super Rush-y imo.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #469 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:02 PM »
Given the album a couple of listens in my hotel room in Hong Kong as I went on holiday, the night before it came out. The art book version will be waiting for me when I get home in 4 weeks but obviously I couldn’t wait that long to hear the album so have had to buy the album on iTunes as well.

From what I’ve heard, it’s another excellent album, have they ever done an album which isn’t? Don’t answer that! I know the first 3 songs fairly well and really enjoy them on the album. The rest is going to take some time as I keep becoming distracted. Barstool Warrior and At Wit’s End sound the best to me as I’m a sucker for Petrucci in melodic solo mode. Even those songs though I’m not sure I’ve heard properly all the way through. The others I’m less familiar with but nothing sounds like I won’t like it. The one disappointment is Pale Blue Dot and that’s not to say it’s a bad song per se but when JP said it “screamed closing song”, I was expecting maybe something more epic in nature, a huge finale and it doesn’t feel like that to me. It may grow on me though.

Will give a more thought out review when I know the album better, I have no doubt though that it will be yet another quality album to add to their pretty incredible discography. Dream Theater remain the kings of progressive metal and, whilst I’m not interested in the MP bashing, this is lightyears away from Sons Of Apollo.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #470 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
PBD 2:03: Edit: oops... Darth Vader enters  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
After a couple listens, I am liking this, but not sure how much yet.  I get the feeling that some of this will grow on me the more I listen.

Of the three "singles," Fall into the Light really stands out as the best of the bunch, and I would say it is one of the best songs from the whole record.  Untethered Angel is a good song and a nice opener, while Paralyzed is still just kinda there.

Of the new songs (in other words, track 4 till the end), I will echo what I am seeing from a lot of people and say that Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End are really standing out.  I like both of those a lot already.

Out of Reach seemed like a good ballad, but time will tell how much I like it.

Still trying to wrap my head around Room 137, S2N and Pale Blue Dot.

Viper King, the bonus track, is really good.  That main riff is pretty different for them, but I dig it.

The sound of the album definitely lacks dynamic range, but it still sounds good so far, regardless.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #472 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »
I am still processing.  I really feel JP owns this album so far.  He really has brought in alot of heart felt melody.  I really was worried after the first 2 singles.   Paralyzed was definately in my wheelhouse, but honestly, I feel the rest of the album rises above the singles that were released.   At Wits End, is one of the best DT songs, since SDOiT.  That outro live is going to be amazing.
 Barstool Warrior has such an eclectic melodic piece of writing. It sounds like it would be one of the best tracks on FII. The ballad is their best since Vacant.
Great piece of work and writing by these guys.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
I get what you're saying Vmadera00 but I got a gut feeling about this and the reason I trust my gut feeling is that I had one about Bridges in The Sky being the opener before the ADTOE tour and brushed off as unlikely then when the news started coming in live from the first show I thought "Damn I should have made a bet" :lol

I'm betting Fall Into the Light will be the opener.  And, no, I don't have any inside info.  (I asked NOT to know...although I did inadvertently find out one song that is NOT in the set)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »

I'm betting Fall Into the Light will be the opener.  And, no, I don't have any inside info.  (I asked NOT to know...although I did inadvertently find out one song that is NOT in the set)

My guess would be they would come out to the dark stage to the pre-recorded intro of Untethered Angel and then the full band comes in live at the 30-second mark while the lights comes up and the crowd goes nuts.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2019, 09:32:08 PM »
Barstool Warrior is an instant Top 5 of the Rudess era.  Maybe higher.

There, I said it.

There are some ups and downs on this album (I would have cut Room 137), but BW and FITL are definitely some of their best work lately.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2019, 09:40:00 PM »
OK, now I can say that I completely dig AWE.  :metal :biggrin:
PBD not yet.  :-\

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
Between work and commuting, I must've listened to it 8-10 times. My hot takes are usually restrained and I just let the test of time do its work before ranking etc. But I do have many thoughts so far on each track, after also having listened to the singles many times since they were released. So here we go:

Untethered Angel
If I ranked the songs (excluding Viper King, which I haven't heard yet) it would probably be at the bottom or 2nd last. Not a bad song per se, just not my cup of tea, especially as far as singles go. I still find the 1st verse underwhelming but it gets better from that point on. I find "The Root of All Evil" has the exact same role in its respective record but just is a better track mainly because of the vocal melodies and the lyrics.

Paralyzed
This has been written elsewhere I think but the first part is so Breaking Benjamin huh? I happen to like that band so I don't mind at all. JLB picks it up on that one, although it's strange how what sounds like the bridge ends up almost being the chorus... interesting. To make a parallel with Octavarium again, just like a song such as "I Walk Beside You" doesn't exactly scream "Dream Theater", this one doesn't also, but ends up being a very good song. I like it!

Fall Into The Light
The 2nd riff in the beginning is like the simplest thing ever and still works so well with the production, it sounds so heavy. Can't wait to hear this live. The chorus is not catchy in the classical sense but it's still stuck with me. The changes between mellow and heavy are exactly what you'd expect from them and they still make them sound interesting. Good lyrics by JM as usual, well done overall.

Barstool Warrior
Yeah, I get that Six Degrees vibe from that one, in particular it reminds me of the About To Crash reprise. Overall I think the intention was to have a sense of nostalgia mixed with hopefulness and I think they achieved it. JM and MM kind of give way to the others to shine on this track...

Room 137
Although the approach on this one is interesting and I find some parts fun (especially the solo section), it still doesn't sound like a strong track to me. In particular, I don't find the chorus very interesting. This and "Untethered Angel" probably end up in the "meh" tier for now. I kind of get the whole thing about the number itself and the concept but it doesn't help much.

S2N
JM and MM do great at carrying this track doing great stuff rhythmically. In the beginning I found the structure strange the way the chorus popped up. Also notice how it grows between each repetition ("our wounds begin to heal")... that definitely seems intentional. I think it takes the crown as the best chorus in the album. The heavy riff at the end will be another great moment live without a doubt. In general they have some of the best heavy riffs they have had in a while in the record and although for the most part they are very simple - sometimes they're just single notes - they get a great boost by the production, they end up sounding huge.

At Wit's End
Well I think the final section must've been an instant hit for most people, as almost singlehandedly it makes this song an instant classic. Pretty much every album has a couple of songs that eventually become reference points and this is probably one of them. All sections from the very beginning serve their purpose well and JLB does great as he usually does in tracks where he writes the lyrics. But yeah, the final section is fantastic, you just don't want it to end.

Out of Reach
Meant to serve as a breather track I suppose but this is unexpectedly good. Does what "Along For The Ride" was supposed to, only much better. Soothing and powerful at the same time. It's got its fair share of cheese but I like it.

Pale Blue Dot
I have a soft spot for anything space-related and I was a fan of Sagan's work before I ever listened to Dream Theater. So when I saw the title on the track listing for the first time I cracked a smile and naturally went into super-hyped mode, especially as reviews started coming out. I understand where people are coming from with thinking it's short or not really getting it or whatever but for me it's perfect the way it is. The way I see it, it is written from the perspective of an imaginary passenger on Voyager 1 and I'm wondering if they had this in mind when writing these crazy passages during the instrumental section, thinking about the insane speed (get it? ;D) at which it travels... at least compared to what we're used to in our everyday lives. To me, it captures the essence of Sagan's words very well. Bravo.

Overall I think the album is good with some great moments. So where it sits in their discography after all is said and done to me is for the most part irrelevant. The mere fact they're still capable of putting out quality work after almost 35 years of activity and 13 LPs speaks volumes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »

Yep, I just listened to At Wit's End again and that is definitely a great one (not sure how I feel about the hidden part at the end after the fadeout, though).

Pale Blue Dot is a head scratcher so far for me, but I could see that being a major grower. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #479 on: February 22, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »

Yep, I just listened to At Wit's End again and that is definitely a great one (not sure how I feel about the hidden part at the end after the fadeout, though).

Pale Blue Dot is a head scratcher so far for me, but I could see that being a major grower. 

I totally seconded the bold parts.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #480 on: February 22, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »

I am with you! I.Love.This.Song.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #481 on: February 22, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
Finally able to post my thoughts after listening to the album for a few hours today on some flights from Chicago to California.

Expectations are everything, and after the 3 solid singles, the glowing reviews and the fan reaction I expected greatness.  I have to say I am a little disappointed.   Dream Theater albums tend to grow on me so I am not going to overreact yet.    But here are my initial thoughts.   

The Good:     The mix, the production, the energy, the rhythm section.

The bad:      The songwriting,  Rudess, and the vocals.   

I'm going to skip the singles and go to the rest of the album:

Barstool Warrior:   The first half is great but the second half drags on and sort of leads to nowhere

Room 137-  Fun song, kind of dumb but fun.   The Petrucci solo is awesome.

S2N- Good song, but terrible outro with Rudesses completely uninspired solo. 

At Wits End:  Pretty great, not really any complaints.   

Out of Reach:   Excellent from start to finish.  A great power ballad.

Pale Blue Dot:  Ugh... what were they thinking?   This song makes no sense.... its one of their worst attempts at an epic.     The vocals are bad and the song just sounds like 8 different people wrote sections and moshed them together.   

Viper King:  Fun song, expected better.

Overall on my first day of listening I would say this ranks as the best or second best Mangini album but nowhere near the Pre-TOT era DT. 

I am hoping it continues to grow on me though.  I hated 6 degrees when I first got it and now its my #3 DT and one of my all time favorite albums.     

So... all of my comments are subject to change.    Overall, its a good album but I guess I may have been too influenced by the hype.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #482 on: February 22, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »
I hated 6 degrees when I first got it and now its my #3 DT and one of my all time favorite albums.     

I hated CD1 when I first got it.

I've spent months listening to only CD2.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #483 on: February 22, 2019, 10:06:39 PM »

I am with you! I.Love.This.Song.

:D

It's really a great one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
The first time I heard that Room 137 riff today, I was like, "That sounds like something I've heard before," and it just hit me: it reminds me of Ayreon's Everybody Dies.

I can always spot the "this DT song sounds like this song" moments. :P

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #485 on: February 22, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
Someone told me PBD remembers something about Haken's Veil.

I've listened to Veil again, but I found no similarity, besides chug riffs. I confess that I didn't really pay attention cause I don't like Vector at all.

There's is some similarity?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #486 on: February 22, 2019, 10:57:42 PM »
I'm soooooo pissed off.

I put off the preorder long enough....that the deluxe edition was sold out by the time I got around to it. 

So I ordered the regular version from Amazon.....................................who isn't shipping it til March 1st.   >:( >:( >:( >:( :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

EDIT - speaking of which.   Did anyone buy an extra that they are willing to part with?   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: February 22, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
So I ordered the regular version from Amazon.....................................who isn't shipping it til March 1st.   

In the same boat here. I just got that notification. And you and I are in Amazon's backyard! I blame Kshama Sawant.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #488 on: February 22, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »
So I ordered the regular version from Amazon.....................................who isn't shipping it til March 1st.   

In the same boat here. I just got that notification. And you and I are in Amazon's backyard! I blame Kshama Sawant.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2019, 12:34:04 AM »
I have only skimmed through all the thoughts here from the past 24 hours, and Kev's post sums up my feelings the most closely.

Untethered Angel: Good rocker.

Paralyzed: 99% awesome, 1% lame (the 1% being the "I am paralyzed" part.

Fall Into the Light: Great

Barstool Warrior: Awesome

Room 137: Pretty good, vocal lines bring it down a bit.

S2N: Great song

At Wit's End: Stellar

Out of Reach: Great, except I don't like the vocal "ooohhhhs" at the end.

Pale Blue Dot: Have not fully decided yet. I was afraid we were going to get minutes of garbage like at the beginning of The Great Debate.

Viper King: The opening riff is not something I care for, but once the vocals come in it is a good song. I imagine it will kill live.

Summary: Sounds great, Fun, enjoyable album start to finish. No filler, few lulls and valleys, few awkward vocal melodies or phrasings (something I am overly sensitive to in DT). Usually digest lyrics after a few listens so not at that point yet. My First 24 Hours thought is that I'd rank this below ADToE, above DT12, and I couldn't assess TA after only a day or two. It's been 3 years and I still don't know how I feel about it!

One thing DT has been lacking for me is memorability. I haven't listened to ADToE in a long, long time but I can instantly hum sections, sing whole verses, and tap my feet to the music in my head. DT12 had none of that for me, and it goes back to the last coulple albums with MP. This album doesn't either, but that's just after a couple listens.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'